Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
I'm gonna make fishermans eggs up at a cabin with a bunch of cuties this weekend

get them dined out of their fuckin gourds

wild planet brand ill trip report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe
I decided to make myself some sardocado sammies a few days ago. I didn't feel like firing up the broiler to toast my oiled bread, since the broiler setting on my oven is past 500, and that way lies madness. So dadly make-do spirit came up and here's the solution I came up with for top notch toasting without setting your oven to "kill".

Cut your nice thick bread slices, and put them dry in your slot toaster, and toast them a bit less than you normally like. Then you put them on something fireproof, like a good ol' cast iron skillet, and brush them down with your sardine oil. Then, you hit em with your blowtorch (if you have an electric light torch, light it up before bringing it to the food, so you don't spray it with unburned hydrocarbons) and get that oil toasted into your bread, and the bread nice and dadly. If the bread keeps burning after you turn off the torch, you got some flavor.

I divided it up with half an avocado on 3 slices off a sourdough loaf, and that tin of Belas had 3 perfect fish, 1 for each slice. Then, when you got it all done but the squeeze of lemon, hit those babies with some more torch, because hot + food = cooking. Squeeze your lemon and eat like King Oscar wants you to. If you have a searzall, it'll take longer for the flamethrower part, but it'll be much more even.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Other night I was hungry and lazy. I fried up a few eggs, toasted some multigrain bread and popped open a can of KO jalapeņo sardines. Ate all the fishies on top my egg, on top my bread and it was great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Stitch posted:

I decided to make myself some sardocado sammies a few days ago. I didn't feel like firing up the broiler to toast my oiled bread, since the broiler setting on my oven is past 500, and that way lies madness. So dadly make-do spirit came up and here's the solution I came up with for top notch toasting without setting your oven to "kill".

Cut your nice thick bread slices, and put them dry in your slot toaster, and toast them a bit less than you normally like. Then you put them on something fireproof, like a good ol' cast iron skillet, and brush them down with your sardine oil. Then, you hit em with your blowtorch (if you have an electric light torch, light it up before bringing it to the food, so you don't spray it with unburned hydrocarbons) and get that oil toasted into your bread, and the bread nice and dadly. If the bread keeps burning after you turn off the torch, you got some flavor.

I divided it up with half an avocado on 3 slices off a sourdough loaf, and that tin of Belas had 3 perfect fish, 1 for each slice. Then, when you got it all done but the squeeze of lemon, hit those babies with some more torch, because hot + food = cooking. Squeeze your lemon and eat like King Oscar wants you to. If you have a searzall, it'll take longer for the flamethrower part, but it'll be much more even.
The broiler is past 500 on the dial because it just turns on the broiler heating element without temperature control so if you let it rip with the door shut for an hour it doesn't want to make any promises about how hot the oven is. But there's no real need to preheat, especially for toasting bread, so as soon as the element is red hot you are ready to go. And if you absolutely must have a tepid oven and only the top of a thing getting toasted you can even leave the oven door cracked if you don't mind heating your kitchen.

One weird trick salamander and searzall manufacturers don't want you to know!!

e. Although for my time and effort, I'd probably just fry bread in a skillet if I wanted that oiled grilled bread flavor.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 8, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Listen to Empty-Handed Heart and Straight to Hell on endless rotation this weekend deenos

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Rad Wood posted:

'dine dads, I have a 'dine dining dilemma. I am about to try my first 'dine and the options are Wild Planet and Crown Prince (Brisling). Which should I choose to maximize my 'dine cherry-popping enjoyment? (Not a dad, but we'll see how long that lasts after this).

I really like wild planets

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

THIS IS DISCRIMINATION :mad:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

numberoneposter posted:

THIS IS DISCRIMINATION :mad:

No Blondie, no!!!

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Update on the Cole's products:

SQUID GOOD. Ate it with garlic naan. 4 squid heads stuffed with rice, tomato sauce, and olive oil. I'll have get some more next time I have to go to Walmart.

SALMON BAD. Not worth the money. Tasted almost identical to the Bumblebee smoked tuna which is $3 less per can. Only difference was that this stuff was moister. It also looked and smelled like tuna.

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 9, 2016

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wanted to try something a little different

pretty good. a little spicy and a nice change of flavor pace.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
nice spine shot :coolfish:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflAaRrqwIM

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm eating kipper snacks for the first time ever as an "I've been out drinking and need food but didn't want the calories that fast food brings" late night snack. It's good.

Kipper snacks are good.

Eat kippers

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Geoff Zahn posted:

Kipper snacks are good.

Eat kippers

yeah, they're o.k. but once you go sprat you can never go back

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Male Tears posted:

Update on the Cole's products:

SQUID GOOD. Ate it with garlic naan. 4 squid heads stuffed with rice, tomato sauce, and olive oil. I'll have get some more next time I have to go to Walmart.

SALMON BAD. Not worth the money. Tasted almost identical to the Bumblebee smoked tuna which is $3 less per can. Only difference was that this stuff was moister. It also looked and smelled like tuna.

Holy cow, the squid's great. I took a taste and decided they were a little lacking on their own, so I got out my tiny squeeze bottle of leftover balsamic reduction and squirted some on, then minced some parsley and added that. Maybe it'd be better heated, but these things are really delicious. Wonderful texture, too - not rubbery at all, which I thought might be the case.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok i had some sardime sandwiches last night with a............woman. she said they were good

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Are you Canadian?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

for a meager loonie

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

for a meager loonie
overpriced cause those are some poo poo 'dines

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I'm Crap posted:

overpriced cause those are some poo poo 'dines

Seconding this. I'll even take Bumblebee over Brunswick.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh god, bumblebee with mustard was sooo loving bad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picked up two more cans of KO Tiny Tots yesterday along with some saltines - I really think they will work better than the Keebler Town House I used last time. Still have a tin of Wild Planet in reserve, too. The store I was at only had Brunswick kipper snacks, so I passed on those - the KO are so much better that the Brunswick just don't seem like an option.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just ate some TJ's Sardines in Harissa over the sink with a fork. :coolfish:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Bum the Sad posted:

Good daddin', I really want to try the Harissa

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bum the Sad posted:

1 am last night, wrapped the same at shelf temperature in some storebought sourdough bread, giving very few if any fucks.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

King of Bees posted:

Good daddin', I really want to try the Harissa

I wrote the first review of them in the old thread. I think they're my favorite 'dines. They'd be perfect if they actually had some real heat to them. Still great though.

doctorfrog posted:

1 am last night, wrapped the same at shelf temperature in some storebought sourdough bread, giving very few if any fucks.
I'm doing that zero carb keto diet bullshit. No bread or crackers for me :smith:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Smoked salmon is my go to snacking fish.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smoked salmon rules but is pricey as all hell if it's remotely fresh. I haven't tried any canned variety but the honey smoked salmon they sell at the store near the fresh fish is about $10-15 for maybe like a 6 oz cut? I don't remember the exact pricing but now that I'm talking about it I'm definitely going to pick up a piece tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good canned variety for me to try while I'm at it?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I used to work for a Bruegger's (chain bagel shop) in college and we could eat anything we wanted on our break. I ate so much smoked salmon it was ridiculous.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

for a meager loonie

I took advantage of the same deal at the local Superstore, grabbed some hot pepper and mustard. Also Brunswick beats Bumblebee every time, ffs guys

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like people keep knocking on the cheaper brands but i don't think they're being fair. I've been dinin since i was a kid and while my mom would get me more expensive ones like the tiny tots as stocking stuffers for christmas, on a week to week basis i was eating bruneswick, beach cliff, bumblebee, pretty much whatever and they're all good. The cheaper brands tend to have bigger fish (so the spine is more noticeable, but also easy to remove if you're gonna be a baby) and taste more "fishy", but if you actually like the taste of sardines they're fine. Expensive ones are nice as a treat but there's no reason to pass up the 1 dollar cans. If i were introducing someone to sardines id ease them into it with the milder flavors of ko, but if you're a seasoned veteran you should be able to enjoy other ones too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Also someone slammed on bruns herring the other page and thats just wrong. That poo poo is delicious and like a buck at my winco, i pretty much always have a can or two when the mood strikes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

No idea about Brunswicks, but in my experience Bumblebee in mustard really is garbage. Just limp flippy flappy gross fish in a mucousy yellow sauce. I'd be the first to celebrate it if it were worth a dang for a buck.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like people keep knocking on the cheaper brands but i don't think they're being fair. I've been dinin since i was a kid and while my mom would get me more expensive ones like the tiny tots as stocking stuffers for christmas, on a week to week basis i was eating bruneswick, beach cliff, bumblebee, pretty much whatever and they're all good. The cheaper brands tend to have bigger fish (so the spine is more noticeable, but also easy to remove if you're gonna be a baby) and taste more "fishy", but if you actually like the taste of sardines they're fine. Expensive ones are nice as a treat but there's no reason to pass up the 1 dollar cans. If i were introducing someone to sardines id ease them into it with the milder flavors of ko, but if you're a seasoned veteran you should be able to enjoy other ones too.

I eat Bumblebee in mustard on Triscuits or saltines as my daily sardines and treat myself to Bela or KO's on special occasions. Cheap 'dines might not look pretty in the can but are usually tasty.

Beach Cliff is the only brand I don't think I will buy again.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Had some KO sardines with jalapenos over a bed of my favorite new crop japanese rice (kokuho rose) the other day. Good stuff. Nice blend of heat and vinegar. It made of the rice leftover a tasty finish to a nice main part of the meal.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Jumping in to defend bumblebee in mustard. They look gross and the mustard is weak, but honestly for a buck a can, I just throw on some mustard powder and they're totally tasty.

But I'd be lying if I told you I don't get eeked out by the massive fins.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I had some brunswicks kippers for breakfast today for the first time. Good, different, and something I look forward to again. I tried some of those KO spanish style chili and olive oil ones and found them to be (mostly) skinless and (sometimes) boneless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What's for breakfast 'dine dads and dadettes? Found these in a British foods shop awhile back and finally decided to crack the can.

Instructions on the back said to simmer for 7 minutes.

Filets look good.

Multi grain toast with a thin smear of whipped cream cheese. Mustard and red onions pickled in rice wine vinegar.

I was concerned about the sunflower oil but it added a hint of sweetness to the kippers, overall a great meal. Wouldn't drop 7 bucks for another can but other brands are readily available.