Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At this point I just want to see what the next companion is now that moffet has made Clara THE ULTIMATE COMPANION, like he has to start fresh now and the most sensible idea would be to just tone it back a notch and make the companion just some person because he outdid himself several times in making Clara important, he wouldn't start trying to outdo her, right? Like that would make what he just did pointless and it couldn't possibly work.

So obviously the sensible thing won't happen because moffet is far too clever to make decisions that do pedestrian, expected things like make sense or be entertaining. I'm just wondering who More Important than Clara could possibly be. The best part is that there are no clues or logical candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Payndz posted:

Having just had a baby, that was actually the most emotional moment of the whole series for me. The thought that a baby's cries would literally translate to it trying to tell its parents "I hear shouting, I'm afraid, I'm afraid" was absolutely gut-wrenching.

I mean, admittedly, Capaldi sells the hell out of that scene. It just takes the goofy Stormageddon stuff from Closing Time way too seriously for my taste. Next the Doctor's gonna paraphrase a dying horse's last words or something.

Burkion posted:

Honestly this is why I wish they had just left off with them parting ways, or even the Christmas Special last year. ...two years ago. You know what I mean.

Just change the line slightly so that old woman Clara had seen the Doctor since he had last seen her to leave open room for future adventures if they wanted. I don't know why every Companion needs to have the door slammed shut on them.

Martha, Mickey and Jack didn't need that to happen.

I just wanted to note that this doesn't work because it's really hard to have fun adventures when a brain crab is stuck to your face. :eng101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've rewatched the show plenty of times but I'm completely drawing a blank on Rose being given her own TARDIS? :confused:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Jerusalem posted:

I've rewatched the show plenty of times but I'm completely drawing a blank on Rose being given her own TARDIS? :confused:

She and the human Doctor were given a little bit of 'coral' or something from the TARDIS that would apparently grow a new one (I think?). :geno:

Creature fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 8, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Creature posted:

She and the human Doctor were given a little bit of 'coral' or something from the TARDIS that would apparently grow a new one. :geno:

Both of you are remembering a deleted scene that isn't actually in the episode.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PriorMarcus posted:

Both of you are remembering a deleted scene that isn't actually in the episode.

Fairly sure I saw that scene on a recent rewatch, as well. Maybe it's been edited back into the Netflix version?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I...honestly don't remember if they put that stupid scene back in.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Burkion posted:

I just checked. It's not. RTD apparently really wanted to put that poo poo back in, though. He's got more restraint than Moffat seems to have, I'll give him that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Class will come out this year, apparently. Remember Class?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Unless they put it into the Blu-Ray release of seasons 1-4 I don't think so, since I own the DVD boxsets and it is certainly not in Journey's End.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Clara and Ashilder, as immortal as they are, have no idea how to operate a TARDIS. The show, modern and classic, has made a point of explaining how terrifying and dangerous it is to time travel even with an excellent pilot. They better hope the Time Lords catch up with them.

Considering Ashildr knew how to get to Gallifrey and that the Doctor wasn't exactly known as a crack pilot at the start of the series, I'm willing to give them a pass.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

They really don't want to give away anything about this show, do they? Does it star the girl with the Frederick Douglass haircut? Or maybe the crazy fairy girl? For a second I thought it was co-starring John Simm and Philip Glenister, but that's actually a completely different series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ashildr is shown reading the manual at the end of the episode, and she's a few billion (trillion?) years old by that point so she's probably pretty on-top of some extremely advanced scientific concepts. She herself admits that she is trying to get on top of everything (the joke about the Chameleon Circuit), but give her 10,000 hours and I'm sure she'll be at least able to plummet their diner in roughly the right direction.

And More posted:

For a second I thought it was co-starring John Simm and Philip Glenister

For a few beautiful seconds, so did I :shobon:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Burkion posted:

Christ if Clara was the one who got trapped in the mirror universe, the Doctor would have damned space and time itself to get her back with the way he's written now.

This is the plot of Hell Bent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And More posted:

Maybe it's been edited back into the Netflix version?

Netflix is currently carrying the SyFy / syndication edits (which have been trimmed down to about 41 minutes to make room for commercials) of at least seasons 1 - 4, so there's no way in hell those have deleted scenes put in.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly, as much as I personally would have prefered if Clara left at the end of Last Xmas (the 2014 special with santa. gently caress, calling it Last Xmas makes it a pain to talk about a year on), its probably worth reiterating that the Doctors relationship was Clara was ultimately portrayed as unhealthy and dangerous so I'm not sure its fair to describe Clara as Moffats Rose.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
People complaining about Clara being allowed to have her own adventures instead of being dumped or killed off confuses and upsets me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

josh04 posted:

This is the plot of Hell Bent.

Yeah, it's literally the entire point of the episode - the realization by both the Doctor AND Clara that the two of them will go to crazy extremes to preserve their relationship and that it isn't healthy either for the universe or for themselves.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

People complaining about Clara being allowed to have her own adventures instead of being dumped or killed off confuses and upsets me.

Part of me wants to believe the second that loving diner TARDIS vanishes off-screen, the CIA retrieve it, Clara and Masie Williams - stick Clara back where she belongs, and fry Masie Williams in the Oubliette of Eternity. :colbert:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If you don't love the idea of Clara and Ashildr having adventures in space and time, you probably think Attack of the Cybermen is a great, insightful story. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i don't understand all the anti-clara sentiment here in 2016.

Well, I understand where SOME of it comes from. And it's not a good place.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
No.

No, please don't bring that in here. This is the sanest thread to talk about our beloved show on the entire Internet and I for one will not see it go down a path of argument and finger pointing. Just because people don't like a companion does not imply something sexist or cis'ist or whatever the buzzword is nowadays type of thought.

People just might be tired of companions either getting everything they wanted or having their brain wiped or being trapped in the 19th century. Sometimes a companion should just go home and the Doctor not have to suffer for it in some way. Like Martha's exit. Or Nyssa's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
NuWho follows the pattern of modern genre television in focusing more overtly on character arcs and relationships. As a consequence, the companion and why they're with the Doctor are bigger deals than they were on the old show. For the most part they don't just decide to hang around for a while, there's a bond formed between them and the Doctor. Therefore, their departure needs to have a firmer reason behind it- it's a loss, the end of a friendship, there really has to be a strong reason why we're not going to see them again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Gosh yes obviously people hate Clara because she's a woman and ruined the show forever unlike all the previous male companions, such as

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

NuWho follows the pattern of modern genre television in focusing more overtly on character arcs and relationships. As a consequence, the companion and why they're with the Doctor are bigger deals than they were on the old show. For the most part they don't just decide to hang around for a while, there's a bond formed between them and the Doctor. Therefore, their departure needs to have a firmer reason behind it- it's a loss, the end of a friendship, there really has to be a strong reason why we're not going to see them again.

Yeah, also the companion (at least in contemporary times) is an audience insert, so you would have to figure out a way to make them voluntarily leave without making your real life audience also want to leave/stop watching. This can also be handled terribly - imagine if a companion left because she found out she was pregnant and valued motherhood over all else in her life?

It's much easier to either incapacitate them in some way (including stuck in a parallel dimension/inaccessible timeline) or give them something cool to do (Clara, and arguably Rose too).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

In all seriousness, my only gripe with Clara riding off in the TARDIS is that it undermines and cheapens her (already too long) goodbye in Face the Raven. Her sex is irrelevant to me; I'd be saying the same if it was say..."Rigsy - The Impossible Boy" in place of Clara - that said, a male companion or just a fresher dynamic than a 20-something 21st century earthwoman whose life revolves around the Doctor, wouldn't go amiss. Give me a cornish pasty-forehead alien. Give me a robot (who isn't loving Kamelion). Or an older woman, or just something different.

CobiWann posted:

People just might be tired of companions either getting everything they wanted or having their brain wiped or being trapped in the 19th century. Sometimes a companion should just go home and the Doctor not have to suffer for it in some way. Like Martha's exit. Or Nyssa's.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that. Not every companion leaving the Doctor should have to be some tragic meltdown.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Therefore, their departure needs to have a firmer reason behind it- it's a loss, the end of a friendship, there really has to be a strong reason why we're not going to see them again.

There's limits though. For Clara it's like...the fourth time we've come close to saying "Oh, goodbye, I guess?". First was the breakdown of her and the Doctor's relationship over last series. Then there was the Xmas special where it would have been the perfect send off, then her actual death. But even that doesn't stick.

I just feel that Moffat just needs to let go of the characters sometimes. He couldn't even do it with Amy and Rory properly. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 9, 2016

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CobiWann posted:

Just because people don't like a companion does not imply something sexist or cis'ist or whatever the buzzword is nowadays type of thought.

Ah yeah, 'sexist', that crazy buzzword.

The stated urge of more than one person in this thread to see Clara and Ashildr fail to operate a TARDIS successfully or get put in their place by the Time Lords comes from exactly the same place as complaints about whatsherface in the new Star Wars.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

Gosh yes obviously people hate Clara because she's a woman and ruined the show forever unlike all the previous male companions, such as

Those obscure male companions, like Rory and Mickey and Jack and Jamie and Turlough and...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To slightly shift subject, do we know when the scripts for Big Finish stuff are done in relation to when recording happens? Because I'm nearly finished the first series of River Song and there's a couple of things that feel like very deliberate nods to stuff from this series.

River calling her screwdriver a sonic trowel in the first episode, and the entire 3rd episode's cloning plot feels a LOT like Heaven Sent with an even ickier abuse element.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I just feel that Moffat just needs to let go of the characters sometimes. He couldn't even do it with Amy and Rory properly. :shrug:

he killed them off, and he just killed Clara off. They're gone forever! I don't know what you mean!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

Ah yeah, 'sexist', that crazy buzzword.

The stated urge of more than one person in this thread to see Clara and Ashildr fail to operate a TARDIS successfully or get put in their place by the Time Lords comes from exactly the same place as complaints about whatsherface in the new Star Wars.

You're an absolute top tier moron if you think I give even two shits about Clara possessing ovaries and a TARDIS.

I'd be raising just as much of a poo poo if Clara was Clark because the writing on her has been top to bottom atrocious. Her story she went through was why being the Doctor, ESPECIALLY in the half assed super rushed way she was trying, was not healthy or particularly smart and it ultimately ended with her death after she did something reckless and stupid thinking it to be something the Doctor would do while the Doctor actually fixed the problem until she hosed it sideways.

Only then some one blinked and instead of leaving her on that very poignant note, they backtracked super hard and instead just gave her everything she wanted and made her The Doctor Lite, only unlike the Doctor where he has hypothetical character shields in the meta-textual sense, Clara has LITERAL character shields because she is functionally invincible and immortal. Meaning even if we ever did get to see hypothetical adventures of Clara Who, they'd be the most boring adventures in the world.

Clara was a total mess of a character, if she could even be called THAT, in season 7, was a consistently terrible person in season 8, and went back to being kind of a giant mess and regressing in quite a few ways in season 9. Her best moments were always episode specific and some times contradictory.

Anyone who bitches about the new main character of Star Wars should better be bitching about Luke as well because I've heard those complaints and they're bullshit.

Clara being demonstratively the most important companion ever is not something she shares with any other companion. Unless there's something in the novels I never read.

Don't try to write complaints off as sexism especially if you don't know a drat thing about the one criticizing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

he killed them off, and he just killed Clara off. They're gone forever! I don't know what you mean!

I phrased that poorly; I mean he kept them going despite having pretty good occasions where they could have just left. The Ponds settle down, and seem to move on with their lives...then we get that half season or so where they're kinda lingering. I wanted there to be a happy ending dammit, not that trapped in the past stuff. :saddowns:

Gaz-L posted:

To slightly shift subject, do we know when the scripts for Big Finish stuff are done in relation to when recording happens? Because I'm nearly finished the first series of River Song and there's a couple of things that feel like very deliberate nods to stuff from this series.

I believe it's generally a few months or so before - Nick Briggs said that one of his scripts for the Prisoner was done only two weeks prior to recording, which he said was unusual. I think for Who they liaise with Cardiff over their scripts over what can be used, or if story elements should be altered (in case there are plans for an upcoming similar story for TV).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 9, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

Those obscure male companions, like Rory and Mickey and Jack and Jamie and Turlough and...

Jamie - 1967
Harry (aha, you forgot about him!) - 1975
Turlough - 1983
Mickey - A total joke who spent three episodes on the TARDIS in 05-06
Jack - Three or four episodes and went on to Torchwood
Rory - OK, I forgot about Rory. But he was Amy's other half in quite a lot of ways, he would have been nothing by himself.

My point is that if you're still watching the show after, just taking the revival, Rose, Martha, Donna and Amy, clearly you don't have a problem with women being on-screen and being awesome (alright, it's still possible if your favourite was Martha).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The more horrifying thing in that article is that Max Landis has adapted Douglas Adams.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

Jamie - 1967
Harry (aha, you forgot about him!) - 1975
Turlough - 1983
Mickey - A total joke who spent three episodes on the TARDIS in 05-06
Jack - Three or four episodes and went on to Torchwood
Rory - OK, I forgot about Rory. But he was Amy's other half in quite a lot of ways, he would have been nothing by himself.

My point is that if you're still watching the show after, just taking the revival, Rose, Martha, Donna and Amy, clearly you don't have a problem with women being on-screen and being awesome (alright, it's still possible if your favourite was Martha).

Of course I didn't forget Harry, I was making a point because you were talking like there had never been a male companion. There's also Ian, Steven, Ben and Adric.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

No.

No, please don't bring that in here. This is the sanest thread to talk about our beloved show on the entire Internet and I for one will not see it go down a path of argument and finger pointing. Just because people don't like a companion does not imply something sexist or cis'ist or whatever the buzzword is nowadays type of thought.

This.

This thread is probably the main reason I still post here. It is bar none the best Doctor Who discussion online and also tends to be head and shoulders more civilized than half the other hatewatching threads in the IV. We've gone down this road before and it never ends well. I like to think it's best when everyone gives everyone else the benefit of the doubt as to the motivations behind their opinions. :)

So what is Class about? Some YA Doctor Who without Sarah Jane?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

This.

This thread is probably the main reason I still post here. It is bar none the best Doctor Who discussion online and also tends to be head and shoulders more civilized than half the other hatewatching threads in the IV. We've gone down this road before and it never ends well. I like to think it's best when everyone gives everyone else the benefit of the doubt as to the motivations behind their opinions. :)

So what is Class about? Some YA Doctor Who without Sarah Jane?

Aiming a bit more CW than SJA, I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

No.

No, please don't bring that in here.

Clearly CobiWann was quoting Romana in anticipation.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

Of course I didn't forget Harry, I was making a point because you were talking like there had never been a male companion. There's also Ian, Steven, Ben and Adric.

Not to mention Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Random Stranger posted:

The more horrifying thing in that article is that Max Landis has adapted Douglas Adams.

Well, bring on the Daleks. We don't deserve to exist as a species anymore.

• Locked thread