Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vote_no posted:

Yeah, I leave my D800 on single point focus most of the time. All this talk of hundreds of focus points means nothing to me!

Me too but I'm going to try more of the center weighted points for wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kenshin posted:

If you were choosing between the D810 and the D750 I'd tell you to go for the D810, but you should get the D750.

Friend of mine bought the D800E and never really got on with it (the huge file sizes made his Mac Pro practically grind to a halt, for one thing) and would more often than not use his D700 instead. So he sold the D800, bought the D750 and loves it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's ok now but yeah when i got a d800 i definitely budgeted an editing upgrade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone was asking about UK prices, I just had an email from my dealer.

D5 - £5199
D500 - £1729

Body only, both with a 64gb QXD card.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
What are people's opinions on the D500 at that price? It looks to me like it's basically the D5 in DX format, and I'm pretty tempted by it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's exactly what it's meant to be. It's prices a little stupid but it looks very capable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The price will go down pretty quickly, and I've seen multiple people sell barely used D7200s for around the £500 mark when it was £930 retail not long ago. Kills to see it go cheap after buying one new! Think retail price is in the £700s now.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A review of the D500 is out by someone who shot with a prototype for a while:
http://petapixel.com/2016/01/09/i-shot-with-the-nikon-d500-here-are-my-thoughts/

High ISO performance sounds very promising. AF Performance sounds great. I want this camera.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Seems like it would be an amazing body for wildlife, I really miss the extra reach when I moved to full frame.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > The Nikon Thread: The D400 Has Never Existed

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Since they can't name the next iteration of the camera the D600, maybe they'll go backwards to the D400.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And to think someone actually got paid to develop the Nikon (not that anyone else is better) model number system.

Do we really need the 'D' anymore in 2016? Can we not have an alpha character to clearly show whether something is DX or FF perhaps? As that's something that is actually useful to people.

Canons Mk system at least shows relationships between newer and older models, although I'm not sure which bright spark thought having 5D and 7D was a good idea for two wildly different cameras.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EL BROMANCE posted:

And to think someone actually got paid to develop the Nikon (not that anyone else is better) model number system.

Do we really need the 'D' anymore in 2016? Can we not have an alpha character to clearly show whether something is DX or FF perhaps? As that's something that is actually useful to people.

Canons Mk system at least shows relationships between newer and older models, although I'm not sure which bright spark thought having 5D and 7D was a good idea for two wildly different cameras.

Inertia. Bigger numbers = better except when smaller numbers = better. There exists an analog camera that has the same number without a D what should we do???? (ignore it till the next product generation of course)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

Inertia. Bigger numbers = better except when smaller numbers = better. There exists an analog camera that has the same number without a D what should we do???? (ignore it till the next product generation of course)

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01132006

Easily explained

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno if this is appropriate, but:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nikon-d750-fx-format-digital-slr-camera-w-24-120mm

Nikon D750 camera body
AF-S NIKKOR 24–120mm f/4G ED VR camera lens
battery, charger, accessories, etc.
Currently US$2049. Price drops as more people join. I've done Massdrop once for a dashcam and it seems to work fine but otherwise I'm not endorsing this particular wholesaler or anything.
This is "international spec" meaning it's the grey market without the US warranty type, so you get a warranty for whatever the intended country was, instead. Keep that in mind before buying.

7 hours left for this deal.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

A review of the D500 is out by someone who shot with a prototype for a while:
http://petapixel.com/2016/01/09/i-shot-with-the-nikon-d500-here-are-my-thoughts/

High ISO performance sounds very promising. AF Performance sounds great. I want this camera.

Goddammit Nikon why must you make me spend so much money

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Goddammit Nikon why must you make me spend so much money

I had just talked myself out of the 750 and into the 7200 so that I wouldn't have to buy new lenses, but now I want this camera that is way more than I need.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh man there is a drought of used d750s and a swell of used d800s, including one for $1375 CAD today with less than 20k shutter count. If I can't find any used D750s in the next couple weeks I think I'll be going for a d800.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

VelociBacon posted:

Oh man there is a drought of used d750s and a swell of used d800s, including one for $1375 CAD today with less than 20k shutter count. If I can't find any used D750s in the next couple weeks I think I'll be going for a d800.
WHERE

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vancouver BC.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
are people selling cameras to pay for houses, what is happening

Either way, I gotta unload some stuff. Or just go all-in with Fuji.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

VelociBacon posted:

That's a killer price, good lord.

I bought a D750 friday afternoon without giving much thought to where B&H is located, it finally dawned on me they're gonna be a bit snowed in. please melt soon snow, the anticipation is killing me.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 24, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

That's a killer price, good lord.

I bought a D750 friday afternoon without giving much thought to where B&H is located, it finally dawned on me they're gonna be a bit snowed in. please melt soon snow, the anticipation is killing me.

How are you finding the grip on the d750? I have big hands and I'm worried about finding it uncomfortable. I have a d7k and a d200 if either are similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have the focus spot display turned off on my screen review as I find it doesn't help much in that context and just gets in my way, but I presume if I use NXCapture or NXView, that this is stored in the raw and viewable there regardless?

Would like to review some images that have missed focus so I can see what it thought it was focusing on.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

How are you finding the grip on the d750? I have big hands and I'm worried about finding it uncomfortable. I have a d7k and a d200 if either are similar.

Mine should arrive on Thursday, I'll let you know then. I'm upgrading from the d7k, so I'll be able to compare it to that. I've heard the d750 grip is supposed to be quite good even with big hands. Hoping that's the case!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have the focus spot display turned off on my screen review as I find it doesn't help much in that context and just gets in my way, but I presume if I use NXCapture or NXView, that this is stored in the raw and viewable there regardless?

Would like to review some images that have missed focus so I can see what it thought it was focusing on.

Works for me, and I didn't even know I could display it on the camera.

Question: When the specs for the D500 include xxx f/8 compatible focus spots, I'm guessing those the only ones usable for any lens @ f/8 or higher, and not just when using a teleconverter?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
I don't think Nikon makes an f/8 autofocus lens so it would just be lenses with teleconverters

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So what exactly does f/8 refer to then for autofocus? It can't be the aperture as currently set on the lens because autofocus still works even if I go to f/22. Does it only depend on the minimum lens aperture?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

autofocus happens at max aperture (so does metering). That spec is the smallest max aperture you'll get AF at.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

evil_bunnY posted:

autofocus happens at max aperture (so does metering). That spec is the smallest max aperture you'll get AF at.

Ah, that explains it. I just checked and the aperture isn't actually set in the lens until you take a photo, I did not know that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ika posted:

Ah, that explains it. I just checked and the aperture isn't actually set in the lens until you take a photo, I did not know that.

If it was, you would see the viewfinder image getting darker when closing up the aperture.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone use the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM? Does the VC produce a very slight rattling sound when you use it? Audible when using it for video, though barely? Just wondering if this lens I got is busted or if that's normal.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Okay got it yesterday, goofed around with it a bit last night and today and I gotta say I love the thing. The grip is noticeably different than the d7k but after spending a couple hours handling it I much prefer it over the d7k's grip. My hands are fairly large and they wrap around the grip comfortably. The protrusion in the back for the thumb to rest against makes it feel real secure in the hand. I think you'd like it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Okay got it yesterday, goofed around with it a bit last night and today and I gotta say I love the thing. The grip is noticeably different than the d7k but after spending a couple hours handling it I much prefer it over the d7k's grip. My hands are fairly large and they wrap around the grip comfortably. The protrusion in the back for the thumb to rest against makes it feel real secure in the hand. I think you'd like it.

Great. I'm looking for one actively here but it's like everyone sold theirs a couple weeks ago. Sucks because I'm sitting here with cash in hand.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Great. I'm looking for one actively here but it's like everyone sold theirs a couple weeks ago. Sucks because I'm sitting here with cash in hand.

Man I know that feeling for sure. While the demographics between the cameras are kind of different, I imagine a couple weeks before the d500 rolls out there will probably be another selling spree as people come down with upgrade fever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Man I know that feeling for sure. While the demographics between the cameras are kind of different, I imagine a couple weeks before the d500 rolls out there will probably be another selling spree as people come down with upgrade fever.

Yeah. I'm actually thinking I'll pick up a tamron 150-600 first and just keep my eyes open for a d750 used.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah. I'm actually thinking I'll pick up a tamron 150-600 first and just keep my eyes open for a d750 used.

Just wanted to say I picked up the tamron 150-600 used and bought a new d750, I got it last night and holy poo poo I love this thing. Can't wait to take it out after this work set and really put some hours on it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to say I picked up the tamron 150-600 used and bought a new d750, I got it last night and holy poo poo I love this thing. Can't wait to take it out after this work set and really put some hours on it.

Awesome! Congrats on the D750. Looking forward to seeing what you can produce with that combo!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't think there is a general 'new gear' thread, yeah? I'll just post this here then as hopefully exciting to someone.

The lens Sigma is announcing on the 23rd has been revealed to be a 50-100mm f/1.8 Art series DX zoom. As an owner of the discontinued 50-150 f/2.8 OS I always presumed it'd come back in some form. That's pretty sweet news if you're in the market for a pro quality portrait lens. Paired with a D500 and fine tuned I bet it'll look fantastic.

My 18-35 has 16 focus points, God knows how many this'll have. You'll spend your first weekend taking nothing but focus shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Awesome! Congrats on the D750. Looking forward to seeing what you can produce with that combo!

So far because I've been at work I've just been wandering around the apartment taking photos in the dark and making GBS threads myself with glee when I see how much more detail I can pull out of the shadows now.

Here's one handheld at 600mm, f/6.3, 1/60th, ISO 51200