Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Whaaaat?? I have a nextfit in the tiny backseat of my tiny car and it fits great. On several incline angles.

Edit: and I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'1" so we aren't short people and we aren't cramped up front either.

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
We have a nextfit too. We've rearfaced our big two year old in my husband's Civic without issue either. I'm also on the tall side and her seat was behind me and I was not cramped. Usually her seat is in my CR-V in the middle and we can push both driver and passenger seats way back and still have plenty of room. I love that seat, I'm keeping it rear faced as long as possible. Getting my daughter in it is not even that hard because now she can climb in herself.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Chicco nextfit says rear facing limits are 40 lbs. So, no. It's not at all narrow front to back either. In anything other than a SUV you can't even position it the maximum suggested vertical range for rear facing because the seat literally prevents the carseat from being another 5 degrees or so vertically.

I say this having a chicco nextfit and a passenger car with latch (vw jetta). Forester isn't that different in rear passenger space whether it's a passenger car or small suv (depending on the year of the model).

Remember to watch your combined weight limits on that LATCH install. Combined weight of kid + seat should not exceed 65lbs, which means that basically the current recommendation is once your kid hits about 35lbs, it's time to switch over to a seatbelt install.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're using the LATCH in the middle you need to check the owners manual of that specific car to make sure that's an actual spot:
http://thecarseatlady.com/using-latch-in-the-center-overview/
Their list isn't complete. Our Jeep doesn't have a center one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yikes, guess it's time to move our car seat when it's in my Cruze. We even had a police officer with training or certification inspect the seat in both of our cars. She told us the center is the best place, but didn't mention that it isn't always possible.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You can also use the seatbelt to install in the middle. As long as you get a nice tight install, seatbelt and latch are equally safe.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, but since we move the seat somewhat frequently, the latch is a lot faster and easier (we're too poor to afford a second base and it doesn't seem worth it anyway).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've never found latch easier than seat belt unless you already have a base in each car.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

I've never found latch easier than seat belt unless you already have a base in each car.

Once you get used to it, they're both pretty easy. Latch takes a bit more effort to loosen and tighten, but we're talking maybe an extra minute, if that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I found latch to be a hundred times easier, but I agree once you got it down they were both not that hard. We're in boosters now, so it's all just a distant memory!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Just upgraded from an infant seat. What do I do with this 12 month used Cybex Aton 2 with 2 bases?

Swim lessons: I want my 3 year old to get some swim lessons. There is a "water wings swim school" near me. They have private, group lessons. Or a 3 week 5 days a week package. That 3 week every day thing seems pretty intense. Has anyone used any particular method for swim lessons that they would recommend?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

WTF BEES posted:

Blunt is perfect, and I 100% agree. I dunno if I was clear but he is still rear facing, and will be for the foreseeable future. I just wanted some outside opinions on the matter. He's still not cramped or anything which is good, but his little legs are getting awfully long awfully fast.

As for looking into a new car seat, that's not really an option for now. The one we already have is really nice, and will last him a long while even when forward facing. There's also the fact that we're dirt poor at the moment and the price of a good new seat would be a bit much (yes, that poor).

I am right there with you. We couldn't afford the chicco's either and the one we got was still a lot of money. We had to work hard to find a seat that would fit our budget and let our giant rearface as long as possible. Our kiddo is not only off the charts for height, but has an extra long torso which most seats do not account for. Thanks for bringing this up because I was just thinking I needed to check on the limits since he has had 2 growth spurts in the last month. I'm so glad for this sounding board because I forgot about the latch limits, so I better check into that too! As for your dilemma, we have a honda fit and a big ford freestyle. The fit is meant to be our go to car. We usually just have one of us sit in the backseat when we drive. Makes the kiddo happier anyway. We are lucky to have the big car if we are driving anyone else we usually take it, although no one rides up front in that car if they can help it either. It's roomier than the fit up front, but still a pretty tight fit for all but the shorter people we know. Our carseat is the Safety 1st Advance SE 65 Air+ Convertable in case anyone needs a long torso seat that isn't nearly $300. It does have rear facing weight limit of 40lbs which if I remember from my research is pretty consistent with even the higher priced car seats. The only downside is that it says max height is 40" for rear-facing which means he will likely have to switch to forward facing by age 3 based on growth charts. It's difficult when you have a giant kid and not a lot of money. We got the best we could afford and are going to keep him in the safest position as long as possible. I think that is what you should aim for. I will add that your concerns for your wife are very valid. Being too close to an air bag is incredibly dangerous (think decapitation)-it is not just legs you should worry about. Definitely only use the front seat if you have to. And while everyone is citing the very real risk for a small child, small accidents that wouldn't hurt the child but would set off an air bag are probably more common. You really just have to weigh all of the risks and make your best judgement call.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
We have a Chicco Nextfit in my car and I despise it. I think I'm the only one. I loved the KeyFit30 and my mom bought us the NextFit but it is literally the worst thing to tight his straps. It takes 5 minutes to secure every day and sometimes they still feel loose even after I go to get him out. It's the worst to tight and secure him appropriately. This is with t shirt/long sleeve onesie and pants. No coats or anything added to straps. I've got the videos memorized but I cuss this thing every day. Does anyone else have the same issue I do?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Anya posted:

We have a Chicco Nextfit in my car and I despise it. I think I'm the only one. I loved the KeyFit30 and my mom bought us the NextFit but it is literally the worst thing to tight his straps. It takes 5 minutes to secure every day and sometimes they still feel loose even after I go to get him out. It's the worst to tight and secure him appropriately. This is with t shirt/long sleeve onesie and pants. No coats or anything added to straps. I've got the videos memorized but I cuss this thing every day. Does anyone else have the same issue I do?

No? It is super simple. I can't even conceive how you would have issues.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Anya posted:

How old is he? If he's newly into it, that's a common complaint. I had this issue too when he was just out of the infant seat.

As you are able to lift the headrest and harness height as he gets taller, it gets waaaay easier. Even one click up makes a huge difference.

Until he's tall enough for that, though, use this method:
https://youtu.be/TM3QaEsep5E

It helped us a lot!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't see anything different in that video than what I would have thought people do to secure a child in a nextfit? A good reference, though.

I occasionally feel like the straps get twisted easily and that makes everything impossible even when you straighten everything back out, or that it doesn't tighten well.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I think the straps get twisted easily. The buckle also likes to flip (no idea how) and that's a pain as well, to unflip it. I've had this thing since he left the keyfit- it's been a year plus? It's just so hard to tighten it securely. I drive a 2012 Ford Focus and it's in the rear passenger seat - so some I think may be my angle from that. But I've even had it front facing a couple times due to major car sickness, so I could easily catch the puke before it started, and still annoying. The Britax click tight that's in my husband's car is amazing. Love that, but I can't switch our seats (Max has to ride front facing in that car due to being a two seater HHR).

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
So, just put the kid in the seat and I tried the pinching? in the video, as well as raising the headrest up another click. It did make it a little easier.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Welp, our 10-month-old has a cold. She's pretty chipper during the days, but the nights are miserable. We've put books under the crib to raise her head and tried washing her nose with sterile saline solution (which was horrible for everyone involved :().

Does anybody have any useful tips for making her more comfortable? Or magic instant cold cures...

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

Hdip posted:

Swim lessons: I want my 3 year old to get some swim lessons. There is a "water wings swim school" near me. They have private, group lessons. Or a 3 week 5 days a week package. That 3 week every day thing seems pretty intense. Has anyone used any particular method for swim lessons that they would recommend?

We tried a once a week for 12 weeks swimming course when my son was 4 and most of the time went to repeating last weeks lesson since the kids forgot it between lessons so he didn't learn much. Did a 4 times a week for 3 weeks when he was 5 and he could swim like a fish by the end of week one. No idea if it would be too much too fast for a 3 year old though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Public Serpent posted:

We've put books under the crib to raise her head

Even that's going to be a bust. If she's anything like ours at that age, she's just going to roll down to the bottom of the crib.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Public Serpent posted:

Welp, our 10-month-old has a cold. She's pretty chipper during the days, but the nights are miserable. We've put books under the crib to raise her head and tried washing her nose with sterile saline solution (which was horrible for everyone involved :().

Does anybody have any useful tips for making her more comfortable? Or magic instant cold cures...

Keep doing the saline drops, even though she hates it. Running a humidifier can also help a lot, especially if you're running the heat which tends to dry out the air.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I used to pop my son in the bottom of the shower with a couple of toys while I was having one, taking a little longer than usual.
The steam he was sitting in helped clear out a lot of gunk, it would just run out of it's own accord. Plus when he sneezed while in the shower it was a lot easier to clean away the snot goblins.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ha I misread that for a minute and thought you were bragging that you used to pop your son in the bottom, in the shower.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
We've used Vicks Vaporizers before with very good success (http://www.amazon.com/Vicks-V1900BX...NHD7AB7DWDSR2QC). However, the pad refills are expensive after awhile.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
No sucker was practically mandatory for ours, who is just getting off the tail end of his at 11 months. Saline to loosen, then nose sucker to extract.

Really only helps them temporarily though, but sometimes that's enough to get them to go back to sleep.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
If you're really desperate, you can ask your pediatrician's about using Afrin (the nasal spray). You can only use it for three days but that can get you through the worst of the cold.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Anyone have any experience transitioning from a Montessori school to a regular school? My son will start kindergarten this year in Montessori since it's the only option other than one of the worst elementary schools in the state and a southern baptist private school. We'll be moving in 2017 so 1st grade won't be an issue, we just don't want him to be behind in a more structured setting.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
My daughter just started daycare. 4 days in. Hand foot and mouth.

Sigh. Really screws with a routine.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
My daughter went back to preschool last week and is still having problems transitioning back from the winter break. It takes anywhere from ten to twenty minutes to convince her that I cannot stay. I don't want to just distract her and sneak off. What can I do to make her feel better? Is this just a waiting game? Am I going to go through this in September when she moves to kindergarten?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

foxatee posted:

My daughter went back to preschool last week and is still having problems transitioning back from the winter break. It takes anywhere from ten to twenty minutes to convince her that I cannot stay. I don't want to just distract her and sneak off. What can I do to make her feel better? Is this just a waiting game? Am I going to go through this in September when she moves to kindergarten?

We went through that last year, our son was three. A couple of times I stayed up to an hour or more trying to make him feel better, nothing worked. The easiest way was to say goodbye and leave, the woman who took care of him told us he was fine as soon as we were out of sight. Took a month or so for it to stop being a tearfest every morning.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Two times in the past week my 30 month old son has woken up wailing. We ask him a ton of questions "Are you hurt? Are you sad? Are you in pain?" And he eventually says "I'm mad! Get this out of my nose! It's in my nose!" And he keeps hitting his nose trying to get something out. I feel like an idiot it didn't really occur to me until after the incident was over to try blowing his nose cause I was pretty out of it having been woken up, but I looked and saw no obstructions or big boogers or anything. Last night after wailing in our bed for a few minutes he said he got it out and we played some truck videos for him and he went back to sleep.

Anyone ever get this?

And the way the poor baby shouts "Get this outta my NOSE!" in the most accusatory manner like I put something in there breaks my heart.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My daughter turned 1 a few weeks back and does the same separation thing from as far back as 4-6 months. Wife works from home while I SAHD and yet our daughter cries when either one of us are walking away to the other room - while she's in grandma's arms or my own. This is the same grandma who can magically help her to sleep even better than us, whom she loves.

She's immediately happy again when we're out of sight and even the same way when we are out for 6+ hours with grandma.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How do you get little kids to brush their teeth?

17 month old and each morning and night we do a little brusha-brusha-brusha. It worked for a while, but now she quickly sucks whatever is on the toothbrush (practice toothpaste) off and then purses her lips real hard and just won't let me in with the toothbrush at all.

We let her do it herself (aka just chewing on the toothbrush) sometimes and have a little weird silicone bristled things that babies are supposed to chew on and it ends up cleaning teeth, but she doesn't even do those anymore.

For now mom or dad holds and the other just pulls her lips up and tries the best to get the teeth but in reality that lasts very quickly before she's shaking her head no.

I want my child to have better teeth than me!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

BonoMan posted:

17 month old and each morning and night we do a little brusha-brusha-brusha. It worked for a while, but now she quickly sucks whatever is on the toothbrush (practice toothpaste) off and then purses her lips real hard and just won't let me in with the toothbrush at all.

We let her do it herself (aka just chewing on the toothbrush) sometimes and have a little weird silicone bristled things that babies are supposed to chew on and it ends up cleaning teeth, but she doesn't even do those anymore.

For now mom or dad holds and the other just pulls her lips up and tries the best to get the teeth but in reality that lasts very quickly before she's shaking her head no.

I want my child to have better teeth than me!

As with many strategies to get kids to do things, what worked for us was to add some playful stuff in it. Made up some brushing your teeth song, sung it while putting our son face up on our lap at which point the song turned into an "Aaahh" pattern/rhythm which eventually changed to an "eeeeee" sound with a big smile and teeth together. As he got older we skipped the song and just went with "say aaaahhhh" and "say eeeee".

That, and telling him his teeth would get damaged if he didn't let us brush them, and how awful would it be to have no teeth, and how if he did it the dentist visit would be a breeze because he wouldn't have to get any work done!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

For me, it's always been about establishing the routine more than how effective they are. I make sure all three kids (from 1-5 now) take their vitamins at night and then brush their teeth. They all SUCK AT IT, but I want them to do it so when they have their adult teeth we won't have any hassle with them doing it the right way. Most of the time, they just suck off the toothpaste and roll the toothbrush around their mouth, so my husband takes each of them one at a time, sings our Brushing Those Teeth song (to the tune of Winnie the Pooh) and does his best to brush all their teeth. None of them spit yet (though my goal this winter is to make the 5 year old learn how to spit without spraying crap everywhere) and I take the older two to the dentist every 6 months for their check-ups which are usually all clear. I figure the effectiveness only matters when they have permanent teeth in.

My youngest is 22-months and today has been hell for him. Lots of screaming and clutching his belly, but he pooped just fine in the morning and is drinking lots of water. Nothing like an inconsolable toddler to make you feel totally worthless as a parent. So many tears. So much screeching. He finally fell asleep, and I really hope that rest helps!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Instead of the usual struggle of "Open your mouth, look at me while I brush. Open your mouth. No put that down. Look over here. Open wide. Yes, dogs and cats do make great pets, now open your mouth." last night I had a new plan. I said "Let's count your teeth!" and counted out each tooth as I brushed it. That 2.5 year old was suddenly very excited about brushing and kept her mouth open the whole time. When we were done she runs out of the room screaming "I have 20 teeth!"

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Toothbrushing was a daily struggle till I finally said "Sure, go for it yourself." Now that it's not a power struggle, I can usually get a minute in when he's done to make sure he gets at least one good scrub, by saying something like "I need to check that the sugar bugs are all gone... wait, what is THAT in your tooth, spaghetti? What! I see a PINE CONE?" and just ridiculous stuff. He laughs, which makes brushing tough but he generally will cooperate now that it's a funny thing rather than an almost by-force thing.

I forget where I read this advice, maybe here? But it's worked great for us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
My first strategy was to say "OK, time to brush our teeth. You can brush my teeth if you want, but only if I get to brush YOUR teeth!"

There's no way a toddler says no to THAT bargain. Brushing DAD'S TEETH? Shoving a pokey thing inside of DAD'S HEAD? And he's OK with it?! Looks like it's toothbrush time motherfuckers!

Fortunately, they're both pretty good at brushing their teeth. My younger in particular wants to do it as soon as she gets out of the bath, even though she's mostly sucking on the toothbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sudont posted:

Toothbrushing was a daily struggle till I finally said "Sure, go for it yourself." Now that it's not a power struggle, I can usually get a minute in when he's done to make sure he gets at least one good scrub, by saying something like "I need to check that the sugar bugs are all gone... wait, what is THAT in your tooth, spaghetti? What! I see a PINE CONE?" and just ridiculous stuff. He laughs, which makes brushing tough but he generally will cooperate now that it's a funny thing rather than an almost by-force thing.

sudont posted:

Ha, tonight was sort of a combination of these. She's 17 months and doesn't really converse yet so there isn't a lot of *direct* call and response but basically she plays with the tube of toothpaste while I try to brush her teeth, then she tries to put the tube in my mouth and I start hamming it up and reacting like I'm a monster eating the tube and she just cracks up and can't get enough of it and she keeps doing it and then I brush her teeth every time she laughs until she tries to start eating the toothbrush like a monster just like I was trying to eat the toothpaste tube.

It worked.