Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What would you guys consider good ships to bring into Tier 7-8 Ranked battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

What would you guys consider good ships to bring into Tier 7-8 Ranked battles?

Amagi, Mogami, Kiev, Blyska, Benson. Maybe the t8 jap CV.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PirateBob posted:

Amagi, Mogami, Kiev, Blyska, Benson. Maybe the t8 jap CV.

Atago, too. Make sure to spam the premium repair early and often.

In other news, I just brought myself to grind through the pain that is ranked again, to hilarious results on the last tier VI match.

Murdered my way through everything that wandered into gun range while the enemy sky cancer wasted two waves of torpedo and dive bombers on killing our afk CV. The Aoba is still the most fun boat in the game and arguably is kinda OP :laffo:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
How do people intentionally launch matches in ranked mode then go AFK idgi?

I saw that happen just in normal games when I was playing last week. In some cases people would say yeah that player was AFK in an earlier game too.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
that's called a bot, demon

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ranked bots, at least they have lofty goals?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

demonR6 posted:

I saw that happen just in normal games when I was playing last week. In some cases people would say yeah that player was AFK in an earlier game too.

Pubbies keep complaining about other pubbies/bots going afk and coasting up the ladder by dumb luck alone but as this keeps happening in higher non-irrevocable tiers I think it's also people who just click the "battle on" button and then go take a piss or get tired of matchmaking times (lone CV) and take a piss before coming back to a "you lost, 0 XP, 100000 silver repair cost" screen.

Stock Mogami trip report:: :2bong:

1st match I got my poo poo kicked in by a very competent (i.e. not sailing in a straight line with exposed citadel, can aim, does maneuver in semicircles) Atago and did like 1.5k damage in return. Oh hey.

2nd match had craptacular matchmaking (Hiryu, NC, Tirpitz, my Mogami, 2 Fubuki, Mahan vs. Hiryu, NC, Nagato, 3 Benson, Mahan :wtc:). Our DDs were complaining that they'd die immediately to the Bensons.
Me: Hey I'm a stock Mogami, watch my 155mm HE spam :pram:
We didn't lose a single ship, killed everything, and the other team got salty in chat :getin:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That happened to me recently. My laundry timer went off so I ran down stairs to take care of business, came back mid match to kill a CA in our cap zone and a DD who suicide rushed me. The DD got all huffy in chat and said "nice shooting, bot."

I'm a jerk but it's my teammates who should be chastising me, not the doofus who rushed a full health Kongo with a half health Gnevny.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Dudes rushing straight at a Battleship that can see them and has all its guns pointed at them, only to get dunked on, is the greatest thing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Dudes rushing straight at a Battleship that can see them and has all its guns pointed at them, only to get dunked on, is the greatest thing.

It's even greater to be the dude rushing at the BB, except you're in an Aoba with a well-protected citadel and the BB will take off like 10k of your HP before burning down and eating four torpedos :getin:

Sometimes also works in the Atago or Mogami but it's less satisfying because you'll survive with like 5k HP left and die to a random Cleveland half a minute later.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

blowfish posted:

It's even greater to be the dude rushing at the BB, except you're in an Aoba with a well-protected citadel and the BB will take off like 10k of your HP before burning down and eating four torpedos :getin:

How in the hell do you protect an Aoba's citadel from a BB? I've gotten citadeled in that paper boat from the front.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

blowfish posted:

did a DD ram you and explode

Not quite, I did it on purpose. He angled alongside me for a close range torp strike and I just turned into him and he went pop. Splashed his unarmed torps too, poor guy probably didn't know they had arming distance.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

How in the hell do you protect an Aoba's citadel from a BB? I've gotten citadeled in that paper boat from the front.
Unless you're 1v1-ing a Nagato (lol nope), you wiggle around just enough that the BB won't blow up your citadel straight through the deck armor but will hit you at a slight angle so shells bounce from your armor, overpen through your superstructure or at worst get caught halfway through and do normal damage.

e: Doesn't work as well in the Atago and Mogami and not at all in the Myoko. The Atago and Myoko don't have enough ship in front of the citadel to shield it well while the Mogami and Myoko need to turn in just as far as the Aoba due to lovely torpedo arcs so if the BB has a loaded turret left it can double citadel you and blow you up because you're either in an underarmored ship that's already half dead or because it's a really high tier BB that can do ludicrous citadel hits.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

I once started a ranked match, which took 19 minutes before I loaded in. To be honest, after 10 minutes I had completely forgot about it while I was watching something on netflix. I alt-tabbed in the game by accident just as matchmaking finally put me into a match.

I can easily understand how some people would join rank, start doing something while waiting and then forget about it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

You can't.. most anything that hits it makes it burst into flames. I don't think I have played a ship that I can recall in recent memory that evaporates so quickly under even minor engagements.

Dalael posted:

I once started a ranked match, which took 19 minutes before I loaded in. To be honest, after 10 minutes I had completely forgot about it while I was watching something on netflix. I alt-tabbed in the game by accident just as matchmaking finally put me into a match.

I can easily understand how some people would join rank, start doing something while waiting and then forget about it.

That makes perfect sense leaving if you end up sitting in a queue for ten minutes to play.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 9, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

You can't.. most anything that hits it makes it burst into flames. I don't think I have played a ship that I can recall in recent memory that evaporates so quickly under even minor engagements.

Yesterday I was in my nagato fighting some dude. An full health Aoba came from behind an island within 6km and got completely trashed by my secondaries without me having to shoot him even once with my primaries.

It was loving glorious.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

Yesterday I was in my nagato fighting some dude. An full health Aoba came from behind an island within 6km and got completely trashed by my secondaries without me having to shoot him even once with my primaries.

It was loving glorious.

Even ships a tier down scare me in the Aoba. I had a NM blow me apart in one volley. What he did not destroy with the initial impact went to hell with the fires that followed. It's like they soaked the entire superstructure, deck, guns hell even the sailors out manning the AA in fuel oil prior to battle.

I know the NM isn't a tier down but it's worse because anything bigger really shits on you.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Any advice on getting load times down? I just had a game where I want to say it took 4 minutes to load, 5 of my teams ships were already dead before I came in just in time to dodge torpedoes.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
300 hits, 5 kills, Kraken Unleashed, Confederate, High Caliber, 78,000 damage in a Kolberg of all things... gets you 900XP on a defeat? I could've just suicided at the start of the round and gotten at least 450 for no effort and had time to have the ship return to port, suicide again, and save myself all of the effort.

Edit: Though getting Conferedate while listening to "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" on a defeat is undeniably appropriate.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There should be an award for getting damage on all twelve enemies in a battle. Also tangentially related, the Kongo is a beast of a ship once you understand it, god drat.

e: I guess High Caliber and Confederate are meant to be like this

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Mundon posted:

Any advice on getting load times down? I just had a game where I want to say it took 4 minutes to load, 5 of my teams ships were already dead before I came in just in time to dodge torpedoes.

Solid state drive.

Hey MRE have you seen that mod for making the torps stand out more? What are the odds we can re-dress those so they are penises frothing across the water? I got this idea after watching a match tonight. This game needs more penises.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 9, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009
You should all give steel ocean a try, it's actually p good. Everything seems to gel better than wows.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's right, I sank that fucker.. with penises. Lots of penises frothing in the water as you can see here.

All my explosions.. are blue frothing penises.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

blowfish posted:

Unless you're 1v1-ing a Nagato (lol nope), you wiggle around just enough that the BB won't blow up your citadel straight through the deck armor but will hit you at a slight angle so shells bounce from your armor, overpen through your superstructure or at worst get caught halfway through and do normal damage.

This should be called "The Reverse NTRabbit."

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

TheDemon posted:

There should be an award for getting damage on all twelve enemies in a battle. Also tangentially related, the Kongo is a beast of a ship once you understand it, god drat.

e: I guess High Caliber and Confederate are meant to be like this

Please, please tell me what 'understanding' consists of here because the Kongo seems fun but I am not getting joygasms from it the way some people in this thread seem to.
I am garbage at this game, just fyi. So adjust for that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

LegioPraetoria posted:

Please, please tell me what 'understanding' consists of here because the Kongo seems fun but I am not getting joygasms from it the way some people in this thread seem to.
I am garbage at this game, just fyi. So adjust for that.

The Kongo is a rather unforgiving high skill cap ship. It's got poo poo for armor so if you gently caress up and show your side to someone competent, you get citadelled faster than you can say "poi". However, it's got very long range guns for its tier (and since dispersion is listed as dispersion at max range, it's pretty accurate if you fire from 10-15 km instead of from 22), it's significantly faster than almost any other battleship it sees and it handles really well. That means it gives you all the tools you need to outplay pubbies really hard, and since it's so fast you can carry matches much harder than in other battleships since it's easier to be at the right place at the right time.

Basically, it's a huge cruiser. It can dish out the hurt but not take it, so you need to be really on top of the situational awareness game to succeed in it. For a more battleship-y battleship experience, get the New Mexico instead.

e: also, battleship protip in general: shoot cruisers first, they vaporize if you get a good hit in on them and if you leave them alone they will burn you to the waterline. This goes double in the Kongo since it gets to where the cruisers go almost as fast as they themselves do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 9, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

That's right, I sank that fucker.. with penises. Lots of penises frothing in the water as you can see here.

All my explosions.. are blue frothing penises.

I need this in my life

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

blowfish posted:

e: Doesn't work as well in the Atago and Mogami and not at all in the Myoko. The Atago and Myoko don't have enough ship in front of the citadel to shield it well while the Mogami and Myoko need to turn in just as far as the Aoba due to lovely torpedo arcs so if the BB has a loaded turret left it can double citadel you and blow you up because you're either in an underarmored ship that's already half dead or because it's a really high tier BB that can do ludicrous citadel hits.

You'll still get citadeled through the bow. There's virtually nothing you can do from a shell that smashes square into a turret and pens clean through and either into your magazines or somehow drops more and hits your aft magazine. And if you're going to torp, you uhh... gotta point your rear end at the BB. That means you'll have to either pass the BB by (at point blank, good luck living through that) or turn away at some point, at which your citadel is super exposed.

I mean, its not always a bad idea, its just not one you should expect to live from.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

You'll still get citadeled through the bow. There's virtually nothing you can do from a shell that smashes square into a turret and pens clean through and either into your magazines or somehow drops more and hits your aft magazine. And if you're going to torp, you uhh... gotta point your rear end at the BB. That means you'll have to either pass the BB by (at point blank, good luck living through that) or turn away at some point, at which your citadel is super exposed.

I mean, its not always a bad idea, its just not one you should expect to live from.
The idea is for any shell that pens to not go straight into you but to one side so it has a good chance of missing the citadel because you're never quite facing the shell straight on
It works... 80% of the time I guess? Basically when it's me in an Aoba vs. not-a-Nagato I point my ship at the BB, go "bring it on fuckers :dukedog:" and waste them. I actually prefer getting shot at with AP than HE when already pointed at the BB.

Torping means staying on course and either waiting for the BB to fire a full broadside at your face when you're getting in close and then turning for the torpedo attack or just going past it at almost zero range and dumping torpedos on the way out.

e: if the BB is already facing away from you don't try. You need to finish the BB off ideally without getting properly hit by more than 3 salvos and you can't evade well enough to survive slowly running down the BB.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

demonR6 posted:

Solid state drive.

It sometimes is faster, but I'll be the last person to load by several minutes sometimes, I doubt literally every person in the game has a SSD. Maybe my hard drive just sucks but it's strange the game runs fine beyond the load.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Bob Mundon posted:

It sometimes is faster, but I'll be the last person to load by several minutes sometimes, I doubt literally every person in the game has a SSD. Maybe my hard drive just sucks but it's strange the game runs fine beyond the load.

maybe its anecdotal stuff, but I've found myself loading faster when I'm alt-tabbed out of it than in it. Which is an amusing thing to happen.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Mundon posted:

I've not found any benefit in having a faster Internet connection. For a while I blamed that. Our ISP (Bright House) over the years gradually increases the cap and I am pretty sure when I was in Alpha it was at the 35 Mbps mark. Since then it increased to 50 then most recently 75. Now I sit at 100 Mbps and it's the same fluctuating ping with intermittent lag regardless. Knowing through the pingplotter though there is an issue the last 2-3 hops into the server put that idea to bed even before the speed increases. I did notice a performance increase with the SSD though with my load times. Also if you have any mods some of them really bog down the game when it loads. You did not mention that so I wanted to throw that out there too.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Had an entertaining game. I got forced out of position by a couple of destroyers hunting my New Mexico on fault line. I ended up alone, out of support range of my team against a Kongo, Fuso, and New York with a grand total of 14k HP to my name. Each one in turn went broadside to me at under 10 km. I did 90k damage in 90 seconds while surviving successive volleys from three battleships. I didn't manage to kill any of them, but the three previously full health battleships were looking pretty beaten up when I died, and my teams remaining three battleships managed to finally make it around the islands to the east. God the New Mexico is a beast.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Mundon posted:

Try running something like this and seeing what comes up. http://www.hdtune.com/

You might be running this on a dying drive or it has some serious fragmentation issues.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ugh. Wow, took me well over a day to advance out of rank 15. These team, Jesus. I had four High Calibres with the Amagi during Rank 15, three of them on losses. One of those had both me and the other Amagi on my team get High Calibre and we still lost. :suicide:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Magni posted:

Ugh. Wow, took me well over a day to advance out of rank 15. These team, Jesus. I had four High Calibres with the Amagi during Rank 15, three of them on losses. One of those had both me and the other Amagi on my team get High Calibre and we still lost. :suicide:
To be fair, High Calibre is much easier to get when the other team only has 7 ships.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to record a battle using the dildo mod and Shadowplay won't record. gently caress you nvidia.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Use OBS.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pacra posted:

The only problem with the NM that I've seen is that while your armor layout almost guarantees that you won't be citadeled by same tier AP, it also allows most of the shots that hit to be penetrations to some degree. This is bad if you are trying to brawl say, a Fuso.

A New Mexico can and will be citadeled by both the Fuso and Warspite regularly enough for it to be far from 'almost guaranteed', there's no need to exaggerate.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tacit assumptions of competence, etc. etc.