Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

guts and bolts posted:

My X-Wing collection is a couple Core sets, a few single-fighter expansions, a Falcon, and a K-Wing. I bought some of it in the shop and some of it online. I don't think I've crossed the $200 mark yet, which I'm pretty sure is the cost of a Warhammer entry box. This is the death thread, where I am entertaining the idea of trading my "cheap plastic" minis for a hand-painted? army of dudes that GW produced and made rules for, only to trade that away again for more cheap plastic. No matter what deal goes down here, most of the interested trading parties will put either little or no value on the GW product actually being traded
Right. I'm just saying this is a lot more difficult than you think it is. This is what's considered "trading down" in the magic scene. You're trading modern format for rotating standard that everyone's treating like a hot potato. A $50 rare for 25 $2 rare cards. And then trying to trade back for the good stuff.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. I'm just saying this is a lot more difficult than you think it is.

Oh, hey, yeah, I don't doubt it. I mostly just wanted to add it as "man, GW sure can't be doing well for someone to want to trade me like this" anecdote du jour

I don't even know if I'm actually going to do it, since I already have stuff I like; trading stuff I like for stuff I don't like in the hopes of getting more stuff I like seems like it would actually be hard, not easy, I didn't mean to come off like I was a ~genius~ or whatever. Just that this Warhammer guy seems to desperately want to trade his army for anyone's X-Wing stuff, not just mine, and I'm pretty sure his army was double or triple the cost of any X-Wing stuff you could get at the time he bought it

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
That tells you all you need to know.

You can give GW stuff away still, but it's getting pretty hard to sell it for anything approaching what it is 'worth'.

He's desperate to recoup at least some of his investment in a dead game he can't find opponents for.

If you are looking to trade again after for what you want that is a mistake and you'll end up even more desperate than him as GW keep poisoning the well.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I love that the volcano where the STEAMHEAD DUARDIN hang out has a giant face.

And that they're still reusing music from Dawn of War.

Everything still looks like poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After I have my morning coffee is when I usually take a Steamhead Duardin.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

No matter what deal goes down here, most of the interested trading parties will put either little or no value on the GW product actually being traded.

Games Workshop is the "developing third-world economy" of this deal - none of the players actually care about it at all, except to potentially turn it into more money or a different thing that they might actually want.
And that can only be good for BitCoin

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Who wants paint?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Chomp8645 posted:

After I have my morning coffee is when I usually take a Steamhead Duardin.

WARNING: Steamhead Duardin may cause drowsiness, indifference, and nudism. Take Steamhead Duardin only to treat the symptoms of an Ur-Cold.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Every time someone posts GW media on the thread my first reaction is "is this a parody?"

Also Fyre Fighters. Buy the calendars where they stand around with their shirts off in their armour with a tyre hose. Online exclusive . $129

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jonny Nox posted:

Every time someone posts GW media on the thread my first reaction is "is this a parody?"

Also Fyre Fighters. Buy the calendars where they stand around with their shirts off in their armour with a tyre hose. Online exclusive . $129

drat dude you're making it hard to resist buying from GW.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chill la Chill posted:

drat dude you're making it hard to resist buying from GW.

He's making something hard :wink:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Our online sales are up, while the retail is down" is a very bad thing, and for some reason a lot of people say that it isn't on places like Bell of Lost Souls, who are known for the integrity of their community.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Apparently every GW defender has spent the last 6 months studying the impact of currency rates on retail and online sales because jesus christ

I like GW's minis. I like their fluff cause i'm dumb and gay. Their games are poo poo and they're a poo poo company who treats their customers like children.

I guess I just don't get the whole GW fanboy thing cause it seems to transcend self-interest and logic.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Spiderdrake posted:

Prometehus is basically like a GW movie

Very shiny, very pretty, rubs your nostalgia through your pants, rapidly spirals into random nonsense, has shrieking nerds who smoked pot when they shouldn't, and then you rocket to another gaming system

Prometheus is basically SPACE DILBERT. It's the realistic tale of how so called professionals completely gently caress everything up by being complete idiots who didn't use any goddamned common sense.

Which is very realistic because most people don't use any common sense.

I seriously doubt this is what they were going for, but it is exactly that anyhow. Which makes it the most realistic movie ever. :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Captain Rufus posted:

Prometheus is basically SPACE DILBERT. It's the realistic tale of how so called professionals completely gently caress everything up by being complete idiots who didn't use any goddamned common sense.

I seriously doubt this is what they were going for, but it is exactly that anyhow. Which makes it the most realistic movie ever. :smith:

That's what I got out of it. That it's a modern day Greek tragedy And we still fail due to our hubris. :3:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Captain Rufus posted:

That is literally exactly what they were going for.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My fave part is when that one bitch gets smashed by a giant rolling ship thing

Its funny because she could have run in any other direction except forward

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

grassy gnoll posted:

That is literally exactly what they were going for.

Unfortunately, intentionally making a bad movie doesn't (generally) make it a good movie.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

Yeah I don't mean for one millisecond it isn't completely realistic that if you take a bunch of professionals who are convinced they're the heads of their fields but willing to rocket out into the middle of nowhere you're going to get SPACE DILBERT

Again though, this is just GW the movie. I wonder if you ask GW who has the best minis and games in the business? They might not rocket into the far reaches of the galaxy, but they are rocketing into the far reaches of obscurity.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
prometheus was not a good movie but it had enough shots of cool alien architecture and horrible alien monsters that I enjoyed it anyway

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

prometheus was not a good movie but it had enough shots of cool alien architecture and horrible alien monsters that I enjoyed it anyway

Also Michael Fassbender was great.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

My fave part is when that one bitch gets smashed by a giant rolling ship thing

Its funny because she could have run in any other direction except forward

That never bothered me. I could totally see a panicked person not making the connection in the moment. It's way less baffling than that spaceship landing at a slow enough speed to not deform at all and at just the right angle to roll instead of just falling over sideways.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Goddamn, this thing is 5 inches tall, and this is what it looks like completely unpainted

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Prometheus was dumb as poo poo and no attempts to explain it as deliberate will change that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thirsty Dog posted:

Prometheus was dumb as poo poo and no attempts to explain it as deliberate will change that.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Prometheus is fun if you aren't expecting an aliens movie. It's more about how humanity is corrupt and Jesus was just some 7ft albino or something.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

boom boom boom posted:

Goddamn, this thing is 5 inches tall, and this is what it looks like completely unpainted

Line your panels.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yeah these things look like little children's toys with flat coloured panels. I wonder how this model would look after a quick wash and highlight (unless the surface needs to be primed).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks sad.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

Prometheus is fun if you aren't expecting an aliens movie. It's more about how humanity is corrupt and Jesus was just some 7ft albino or something.

It's aggressively stupid while taking itself very seriously indeed. I don't find those movies fun, they're just annoying as hell.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

hello death thread, I was hit by an overwhelming need to have some chaos stuff from 40k and spent like 12 dollars on the chosen from the dark vengeance set and now they're here and I feel empty again. thanks for reading

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Prometheus is a Good Film imo but the other Alien films have been built up as serious sci-fi classics instead of solid space horror so it feels like the scale is off. I like its weird mix of philosophical big questions sci-fi, horror movie retardation and beautiful direction and not even in a 'bless this mess' kinda way.

but I'm normally the first person to call bullshit when people excuse wankery with NO YOUR JUDGING IT WRONG (beer and pretzels anyone?) so :shrug:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

fnordcircle posted:

They probably shouldn't have spent half the movie trying to remind me of a better movie then!!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Omar al-Bishie posted:

hello death thread, I was hit by an overwhelming need to have some chaos stuff from 40k and spent like 12 dollars on the chosen from the dark vengeance set and now they're here and I feel empty again. thanks for reading

You just triggered me

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AgentF posted:

Yeah these things look like little children's toys with flat coloured panels. I wonder how this model would look after a quick wash and highlight (unless the surface needs to be primed).

I like painting things with comic book colors and techniques so it looks like a children's toy. :3:

Can't wait to make some cel shaded gundams.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Saalkin posted:

You just triggered me

they're going in a box with like sixty unpainted orks from the last starter set I grabbed on ebay four years ago. i need help

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Omar al-Bishie posted:

they're going in a box with like sixty unpainted orks from the last starter set I grabbed on ebay four years ago. i need help

Sell me your orks....

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Sell me your orks....

I'm always tempted to sell them so I can finally be free of them but I know I'd just hear those tribal Jumanji drums calling to me the moment I shipped them off and I'd be buying some more of the damned things to fill the hole in my heart

also man they're pretty badly assembled, cleaning up mold lines is not a skill I've really developed

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'm always tempted to sell them so I can finally be free of them but I know I'd just hear those tribal Jumanji drums calling to me the moment I shipped them off and I'd be buying some more of the damned things to fill the hole in my heart

also man they're pretty badly assembled, cleaning up mold lines is not a skill I've really developed

I buy ebay rescues and fix them up. Unpainted orks from the starter set are pretty hard to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Star realms is legit good 1v1, but with more players whoever is in second will almost always win after everybody gangs up on the leader.

• Locked thread