Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Given the weird obsession with the band and the Lean In thing I'm betting probably someone associated with John Q Public

that site is 1/2 good leadership ideas and 1/2 weird obsessive bitching that negates the other half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
JQP is good for 2 main reasons: I get info from there that I can't get from official channels, and it gets under the skin of senior leadership (and as always, gently caress the brass).

But the whining about dumb poo poo is goddamn annoying. The miley gate poo poo got old really fast, and so does all the whining about tops in blue/bands.

So yah, 50/50 is about right.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The miley poo poo was pretty atrocious. Dudes lost their wings over loving song lyrics. That's so far beyond absurd I don't think we have a word for it yet.

The band hate is entertaining, if overplayed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Military bands deserve the hate

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

naw incentivizing marriage is a Good Policy

Still burning from that DADT beat, kiddo? They're issuing out do over discharges for you folks that got good and properly hosed in the old days. You can probably apply to get your discharge upgraded to honorable and get all non implicit mentions of sodomy removed from it, too.

Inherent buttfucking not withstanding.

:tipshat:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Plus now that gay marriage is a go everyone can get a loveless marriage of convenience. Freedom is beautiful

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

xaarman posted:

Are you still at Offutt AFB? I'd PM but you don't have platinum.

Yeah, we just got here a little under a year ago.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

what is this?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Protons posted:

what is this?

A guy quoting AFI 1-1 violations at all kinds of harmless events and pictures to illustrate how retarded AFI 1-1 is.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Protons posted:

what is this?

art

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

That whole page seems really passive aggressive.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no getting past you

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

No poo poo.

Excellence in all I do.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Thread hasn't moved in four days. I can only assume you guys are beginning to stumble out of your whisky induced comas from NYE and/or your regular weekend schedule. As you blink away visions of your debauched weekend, I'd like to pose a Real Question about Good NCO Leadership vs. Bad NCO Leadership.

Since I've been on leave, 6 out of 7 airmen in our office have received an LOC. 3 of them for failing that no notice dorm inspection, and another three for bullshit they've never been verbally counseled on. Both E5 supervisors of the remaining 3 airmen were told to issue these LOCs based on what our E6 section superintendent said. When said E5s decided that they have a better way (i.e. not going right to loving paperwork,) they were told the classic poo poo line 'if you don't write it, I will.' This left both E5s in a lovely predicament that is pretty common where I am. Does an LOC coming from your direct supervisor sting less than from the section superintendent? The E5s believe they're doing their airmen a favor by writing it simply because of that perceived bonus of not coming from the section supt.

What are some ways I can articulate to this fellow E6 and our brand new section chief O1 (who I feel may be deferring to the E6 because of time in service) that this practice is harmful and unhelpful? I feel like whenever your boss tells you to write your own airmen paperwork, and threatens to do it themselves if you don't, you're effectively removing any legitimacy as both an NCO and a leader. I also feel that issuing paperwork for a slew of minor offenses (too much cussing, perceived unprofessional/impolite mannerisms) that have never been brought up before is sloppy, lazy supervision. If A1C Jones says gently caress too much, you pull him in, sit him down, and tell him he says gently caress too much and you want him to stop. If he doesn't, then you start to document the trend.

I know I'm not going to be able to convince this E6 to pull these LOCs, but I want her to know that it's not OK to simply throw paper on airmen if you first haven't addressed their issues verbally. The power of the pen is what is making two of our legitimately bright and promising airmen decide they are going to separate. No amount of my AF yes man sales pitch of 'don't let your first base paint your af picture' rhetoric can convince them to stick out one more base. I really don't blame them, and before I went on leave I spent an hour helping one airman try and find a military friendly college.

Protons fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 9, 2016

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
When I was in my Supervisor wrote LOCs for every little goddamn thing possible. By the time I got out of the Air Force I had a ton of LOCs for every minor offense imaginable. It made my career unbearable because people would see a 1 inch folder of paperwork and just assume I was a piece of poo poo. Coupled with the fact that I never moved bases in my entire career (despite trying) I had a black cloud over me the entire time. I'm glad to see that you are trying to defend your Airman, good on you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you an E6 (you said fellow). If so, go to that E6 and tell him what for. Even if you're an E5 I'd do it. If the LOCs are total bullshit and you can't make any headway with that other NCO; I'd say tell the supervisors to write them, give them on a Monday or Tuesday and send the airmen straight to ADC to get a rebuttal written.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Got any masters in your shop? I don't have any that would actually help in this case, but I know for a fact my senior would. That's lovely that you just have some piddly O1 there to do nothing.

It's a loving LOC. I don't think the fact that it's coming from a staff or a tech will matter much in the grand scheme of things, because it's an LOC. I think the more important thing is that it's disheartening to young airmen who actually care, and if there's no way to talk this dummy out of issuing them, than there's no amount of kool aid bullshit you can cram down their throats to convince them that the AF is a decent organization.

Because it's not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, once you get a bullshit LOC pushed on you, you stop caring. I got an LOC for a mock test and after that I really stopped giving a poo poo. I didn't care when I got an LOR and I didn't care when I went to cancel my assignment to the two exact assignments I wanted so I could separate.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, once you get a bullshit LOC pushed on you, you stop caring. I got an LOC for a mock test and after that I really stopped giving a poo poo. I didn't care when I got an LOR and I didn't care when I went to cancel my assignment to the two exact assignments I wanted so I could separate.

I'm debating failing PT tests until I get kicked out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got like 1 legitimate piece of paperwork, ever. Except for PT related stuff of course.

Had like 10 LOCs before I seperated and I was considered one of the better airmen.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

When I was in my Supervisor wrote LOCs for every little goddamn thing possible. By the time I got out of the Air Force I had a ton of LOCs for every minor offense imaginable. It made my career unbearable because people would see a 1 inch folder of paperwork and just assume I was a piece of poo poo. Coupled with the fact that I never moved bases in my entire career (despite trying) I had a black cloud over me the entire time. I'm glad to see that you are trying to defend your Airman, good on you.

They're not even my airmen, just airmen who I work with.

Unfortunately one of the airmen simply marked she wasn't going to rebut, and 3 days has since passed and is now too late for the others. I always tell my airmen that if you do get paper, *always* rebut, even if you were objectively wrong.

Protons fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 9, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elevate this. He's potentially destroying careers.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

Elevate this. He's potentially destroying careers.

Agreed, go to his boss or the E8/E9 superintendent. The last thing we need is more of our younger guys getting poo poo on for stupid stuff and hating life.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I made every rank the first time with countless supervisor written LOC's and LOR's.

The poo poo doesn't matter until it comes from your CC and goes in a UIF.

Nobodies careers are at risk unless things are truly full retard now and somehow supervisor LOCs can be grounds for force shaping or something.

But you still need to break this man now. Don't let this poo poo become par for course, that's what all your extra stripes are for. To nut check hosed up leadership.

Sack up and break him.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I made every rank the first time with countless supervisor written LOC's and LOR's.

Nobodies careers are at risk unless things are truly full retard now and somehow supervisor LOCs can be grounds for force shaping or something.

But you still need to break this man now. Don't let this poo poo become par for course, that's what all your extra stripes are for. To nut check hosed up leadership.

Sack up and break him.

Only counterpoint to that is if people try to use the paperwork as justification for giving a sub-par rating. In theory shouldn't be a problem since with the new "everyone is down the middle" push for de-inflation, a "standard" rating is the old 3...and in typical AF fashion, the marking to the left of that is an automatic referral so they've literally said you're either at least average or you're a shitbag (and a bunch of non-CC LOCs are not going to support a referral). However I've already seen massive inflation with the duty performance "rating" so who knows (actual promotion bit is obviously a different story thanks to forced distribution.)

Hopefully the supervisors in question know they're bullshit and therefore don't take them into account. Hopefully the E-6 in question doesn't try to put pressure on the raters to change their rating because of the paperwork. If he does so, hopefully the supervisors have a spine and tell him to gently caress off.

All this talk made me remember the time I got an LOC for "unprofessional behavior." Remember kids, yelling at a Major as a Lt, no matter how stupid he is, is still being "unprofessional." The best part about that is that the Major didn't even really care, it was a couple of E-9s who witnessed the whole thing and dimed me out to the OG Supt who in turn ran and told daddy. Fortunately I was at a GSU so the Group couldn't do anything other than tell the DO (acting CC at the time) to give me paperwork, which he did in the most sarcastic passive-aggressive way possible.

To Shim's point though, it went into a PIF (mandatory for O's if you don't establish a UIF)...since it was a PIF and not a UIF, it didn't mean poo poo and I assume it got shredded after I PCS'd.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
was yelling at the Major worth it

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Given the fact that there weren't any real repercussions, absolutely

I wish I'd snagged a copy of the LOC before I left because it was pretty hilarious

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Given the fact that there weren't any real repercussions, absolutely

I wish I'd snagged a copy of the LOC before I left because it was pretty hilarious

Do you at least remember some of it?

I got an LOC for standing next to a guy who invited a butterbar to his ALS graduation. It was basically written saying that I was being "too good of a wingman" by my boss.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

That's always been the case. The guy we discharged didn't have paperwork from anyone higher than an ADO.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so glad I never had to write paperwork. My one troop I ever had was three years older than me. When his wife flew home to drive her car across the country to the base he and I drank beer and played Smash Bros.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

One of my troops got busted by security forces for speeding on base. My flight chief demanded that I give him paperwork, or else he would.

I printed a 341 off e-pubs and gave it to my airman. Reported discrepancy: riding dirty and getting punked by the 5-0.

Flight chief wasn't pleased, but the shop loved it.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

A Kpro posted:

I'm so glad I never had to write paperwork. My one troop I ever had was three years older than me. When his wife flew home to drive her car across the country to the base he and I drank beer and played Smash Bros.

:siren: Unprofessional Relationship :siren:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Protons posted:

:siren: Unprofessional Relationship :siren:

You're the cancer it's you

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Protons posted:

They're not even my airmen, just airmen who I work with.

Unfortunately one of the airmen simply marked she wasn't going to rebut, and 3 days has since passed and is now too late for the others. I always tell my airmen that if you do get paper, *always* rebut, even if you were objectively wrong.

Wish someone had told me that, because I just rolled over. It wasn't until I got paperwork for taking a pass in conjunction with a 3 day weekend (that my supervisor ok'd) that I finally was like "No gently caress that" and fought it and won.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Wish someone had told me that, because I just rolled over. It wasn't until I got paperwork for taking a pass in conjunction with a 3 day weekend (that my supervisor ok'd) that I finally was like "No gently caress that" and fought it and won.

lolololololol

Everyone is always saying "You can't take a comp day in conjunction with whatever" or "You can't take leave with a 3 day weekend." Everyone does it anyway. Just like that whole "set your leave to start at noon the day before to get a free half day." Sure it's supposed to be just for people getting on Space A flights, but who cares.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My chain of command always preferred the passive-aggressive approach of quietly sabotaging your career by withholding end-of-tour decorations, keeping you in a permanent "assistant" XYZ role across multiple OPRs, refusing to send you to schools you requested, and horse-trading trading your PCS to get something they wanted for their golden boy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

My chain of command always preferred the passive-aggressive approach of quietly sabotaging your career by withholding end-of-tour decorations, keeping you in a permanent "assistant" XYZ role across multiple OPRs, refusing to send you to schools you requested, and horse-trading trading your PCS to get something they wanted for their golden boy.

I'm pretty sure this is all mandated in some AFI

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I keep trying to block out the fact that I spent 5 years of my life in Minot then I read stuff like this

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

My chain of command always preferred the passive-aggressive approach of quietly sabotaging your career by withholding end-of-tour decorations,

I didn't get a MSM at the end of my deployment because my supervisor didn't think "anyone really went above and beyond" but some how he was cool enough to get a Commendation medal for supervising us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well an MSM is higher than an AFCM so of course you weren't going to get one if that's all he was getting. Like it or not, medals generally correspond to rank, so unless you were an O-4/E-7 or higher, good luck. MSM is usually a PCS medal for squadron commanders or superintendents/shirts, for example.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread