Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

On the other hand you have to use a work-assigned handle instead of your real name while acting in a professional capacity. "[X]th Brother" or "[X]th Sister" is kinda boring too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Brothers and Sithsters.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Force Powers work way better and are way more interesting in EotE though. Like, one of the big issues with F&D is the really poorly thought out morality system that replaces the far more interesting systems you got in the previous two lines. When turning to the dark side is a question of narrative and taking stress, that's great. When doing so means you objectively gain +1 Dark Side Points, it becomes way, way less interesting.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Force Powers work way better and are way more interesting in EotE though. Like, one of the big issues with F&D is the really poorly thought out morality system that replaces the far more interesting systems you got in the previous two lines. When turning to the dark side is a question of narrative and taking stress, that's great. When doing so means you objectively gain +1 Dark Side Points, it becomes way, way less interesting.

That can be said of Obligation, too: "I have a huge debt to a Hutt, but considering my obligation is very low, I guess it's not so bad!"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My party will be meeting this weekend to create characters. I'm bringing my laptop with OggDude's character creator as well as the Edge book. Are there any suggestions for things to do/not do with regards to creation? I've read that you should spend the majority of your points on characteristics since those are harder to raise.

So far, the tentative party: Assassin Bounty Hunter Droid (he wants a four armed droid, that seems OK right?)
Trandoshan Scout
Mandalorian Body Guard
Twi'lek or Bothan Force User (she will probably start as another career and be awakened to the Force in the future)

I'll be running the Edge Beginner's Box adventure and was also wondering about advice for it. I saw someone down thread mention that the book expects the PCs to know they have to get the ship unclamped ( which makes no sense) and it also seems silly to me that the bartender would just tell them about some guy's ship they can steal oh but also they need a part for it and to get out of his bar.

EDIT: I forgot a couple things. How worried about obligation should I be? I was thinking the ship they steal will end up with a few bits of armor and whatever weapons they want and I guess add to their obligation since the guy who owns the ship is going to be pissed. Also is there a better ship to give them? A YY-1300 feels a little cliche but maybe that's OK for Star Wars..

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm fairly new to the system, but some play and tinkering with the character generator definitely reinforces that you should spent all or almost all your points on characteristics since they're far harder to modify. Also it's slightly more efficient to double-up on career/species skills rather than spreading them out, since the second level of a skill is more expensive to level up later. Less of a big deal, but it's something I notice since I didn't do it with my character.

Also pretty sure that if you're running pure EotE and want a force-sensitive character, you still have to start as another career before taking Force Sensitive Exile as a second specialization (either later or at char gen, though it will hurt your characteristics to do it at char gen). I took it as a second specialization at character generation and I'm not much good at doing things if they're outside my one main characteristic. Then again, I just sort of do them anyway and muddle through on interesting failures so the system is working as intended. :v:

Let me tell you about rolling two green dice for everything in combat. Also about getting shot with a Brawn of 1.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 9, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Corbeau posted:

I'm fairly new to the system, but some play and tinkering with the character generator definitely reinforces that you should spent all or almost all your points on characteristics since they're far harder to modify. Also it's slightly more efficient to double-up on career/species skills rather than spreading them out, since the second level of a skill is more expensive to level up later. Less of a big deal, but it's something I notice since I didn't do it with my character.

Also pretty sure that if you're running pure EotE and want a force-sensitive character, you still have to start as another career before taking Force Sensitive Exile as a second specialization (either later or at char gen, though it will hurt your characteristics to do it at char gen). I took it as a second specialization at character generation and I'm not much good at doing things if they're outside my one main characteristic. Then again, I just sort of do them anyway and muddle through on interesting failures so the system is working as intended. :v:

Let me tell you about rolling two green dice for everything in combat. Also about getting shot with a Brawn of 1.

Funny enough, while you do absolutely want to put all your points into characteristics - or at least as much as possible - I've found it to be good for humans to spread themselves out a lot. Hitting 4 in an attribute costs way more then hitting 3 in chargen, but it costs the same with Dedication. All my humans go at least 2/2/2/3/3/3, and I had some I went outright 2/2/3/3/3/3 - I found it also helps sorta stress the whole "humans are good at LOTS of stuff, if not as specialized." After all, the more dice you throw down, the better.

Iceclaw posted:

That can be said of Obligation, too: "I have a huge debt to a Hutt, but considering my obligation is very low, I guess it's not so bad!"

The difference between Obligation and F&D's morality kinda helps cement some of my issues with F&D. Obligations are interesting. They're inherent plot hooks. They also draw in the whole party. Han Solo's Obligations make up the entirety of the start of Return of the Jedi! It's all good stuff! Morality on the other hand just tends to feel...I mean, ok, they're probably going for "personal," but it also ends up being a bit "single-player centered." When Han Solo is taken by Jabba, everyone gets involved getting him back. Compare it to Luke's big finale with Vader and the Emperor - it's great stuff, but it's just Luke. When an Obligation is triggered, things are about to get "interesting" for the whole group. There's no setting off Morality for plot reasons. Also, maybe it's just me, but a jedi who owes a massive favor to someone unscrupulous and has to worry about the HUGE Imperial bounty on their head is way more interesting then a jedi who's 65% Light Side and good at Bravery but bad at Anger. The former is several plot hooks and leads into other NPCs and adventures; the latter is...just describing your duder. Which the former can still do!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Again, if your GM doesn't hit that big red button in your character's mind in a game and setting that's openly "learn about your powers and how they can take you to the great heights the galaxy deserves or thé abyss" as often as they can, then it's their fault. You aren't playing Edge, where you play as desperate people with something chasing them, you play as people walking on a tightrope and the thing they experience should reflect that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Funny enough, while you do absolutely want to put all your points into characteristics - or at least as much as possible - I've found it to be good for humans to spread themselves out a lot. Hitting 4 in an attribute costs way more then hitting 3 in chargen, but it costs the same with Dedication. All my humans go at least 2/2/2/3/3/3, and I had some I went outright 2/2/3/3/3/3 - I found it also helps sorta stress the whole "humans are good at LOTS of stuff, if not as specialized." After all, the more dice you throw down, the better.

I've come around to the idea that if you're using the recommended XP/session guidelines and will be playing the game at least semi-regularly, there aren't many bad ways to spend XP at character generation. I think the only not-obvious trap is taking on extra Obligation for a session's worth of XP, since it might take you longer to drop that Obligation than it would take you to land a Dedication. Blowing all your XP in Specializations (and not buying any Talents in them) would also be kinda dumb.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Yeah, if I were going to run a game full of would-be Jedi, I think I'd just use Obligation, and have the Obligation be the thing that tempts them to draw upon the dark side.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
In regards to spending XP to advance characteristics after character creation- is the Dedication talent the only way to do so?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Correct.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm probably going to be running a kind of public game with a high likelihood of having lots of drop in/drop out players (A bad idea since I'm just learning the system but oh well). Any thoughts on how to handle this? Chargen is pretty quick but I'm not sure if I should give any thought to obligation effects in this case.

My current thinking is the meta campaign will track the fortunes of a little shadowport and whoever turns up to the session that week is whoever gets hired for the job of the week, like if firefly was primarily set at Badgers? I dunno. It'll be trickier to do the team vehicle in that case. I'll happily take ideas though, I'm far from married to my very loose premise.

Oh also, going over chargen with another group - Cool/Discipline and Perception/Vigilance sit very close to each other and I can see a lot of edge cases where one or the other would apply. I assume it'll be absolutely fine to take an argument from a player that their preferred skill will apply?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 11, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The way we've used it so far is that cool/vigilance are combat initiative and discipline/perception are proactive non-combat skills. But we're new.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ShineDog posted:

I'm probably going to be running a kind of public game with a high likelihood of having lots of drop in/drop out players (A bad idea since I'm just learning the system but oh well). Any thoughts on how to handle this? Chargen is pretty quick but I'm not sure if I should give any thought to obligation effects in this case.

My current thinking is the meta campaign will track the fortunes of a little shadowport and whoever turns up to the session that week is whoever gets hired for the job of the week, like if firefly was primarily set at Badgers? I dunno. It'll be trickier to do the team vehicle in that case. I'll happily take ideas though, I'm far from married to my very loose premise.

Oh also, going over chargen with another group - Cool/Discipline and Perception/Vigilance sit very close to each other and I can see a lot of edge cases where one or the other would apply. I assume it'll be absolutely fine to take an argument from a player that their preferred skill will apply?

Make it like the old "Taxi" TV series. The ship and whatnot is property of a crime lord or shipping tycoon or something (or even the Empire) and whoever is around for a job is the group running the freighter that session. Bonus points if you have a mechanic from some backwater with a weird accent.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Havent started yet but just ordered F&D. Im really thinking about my pcs watching Jar Jar being executed, or if they are turning evil, killing him. Is this bad? Should I care?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Would it add anything to whatever story/plot you're working with? Or is it just "die, dumb character, die"?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was already thinking about doing it as 'Save these two senators, or kill them' type of thing, but just two random, unnamed people.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

You'd be murdering any seriousness the situation might have, though, because it feels a lot like some dumb youtube video.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Finster Dexter posted:

Make it like the old "Taxi" TV series. The ship and whatnot is property of a crime lord or shipping tycoon or something (or even the Empire) and whoever is around for a job is the group running the freighter that session. Bonus points if you have a mechanic from some backwater with a weird accent.

Or give the team a ship and a base/homestead/business. If the adventure this week is ship-based, everyone else is back on the farm. If it's farm-based, everyone else is on the ship.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

So, timeline-wise: It seems like EotE and AoR take place between episodes IV and VI, while FaD takes place after episode VI. At least, as far as the book lore is concerned. Have they gone so far as to give stats for major characters like Darth Vader? Because that seems like it'd be a bad idea.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

So, timeline-wise: It seems like EotE and AoR take place between episodes IV and VI, while FaD takes place after episode VI. At least, as far as the book lore is concerned. Have they gone so far as to give stats for major characters like Darth Vader? Because that seems like it'd be a bad idea.

Why is that? Especially considering that putting it after ROTJ would kind of rob it of the "Jedi and force users are hunted by the Empire" aspect.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FuriousAngle posted:

I really liked what WEG did with creating stats for the movie characters. There was no lack of debates in my group of friends about what exactly Luke did to earn each of his 5 Dark Side Points that WEG gave him in RotJ.

But no, I think FFG has avoided major movie characters. I think Lobot shows up somewhere, but everything else is generic like "Jedi-in-hiding" or "Imperial Moff".

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Iceclaw posted:

Why is that? Especially considering that putting it after ROTJ would kind of rob it of the "Jedi and force users are hunted by the Empire" aspect.

Granted, I haven't read much from the FaD books so I'm not sure on the timeline. The hunted Jedi angle is a great one that can continue even after the Battle of Yavin, though, as the Empire is still around. Luke just isn't gathering Jedi. I could be completely wrong about the setting though.

Finster Dexter posted:

I really liked what WEG did with creating stats for the movie characters. There was no lack of debates in my group of friends about what exactly Luke did to earn each of his 5 Dark Side Points that WEG gave him in RotJ.

But no, I think FFG has avoided major movie characters. I think Lobot shows up somewhere, but everything else is generic like "Jedi-in-hiding" or "Imperial Moff".

The problem I have with statting Darth Vader is that it creates the mindset for people that they should go after him. If you KNOW he's got an Agility of 3 and a Light saber skill of 4, you know how to defeat him. "I only need to give him so many wounds before he goes down!" It's like showing Boba Fett without his helmet- it kills the sinister mystery of the character. If you have an un-statted character, you have NO idea what your'e getting into, or if you can even beat him. It's like every single Dark Souls encounter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That FFG demo adventure got Vader right (rocks fall, everybody dies). Alternatively, Rebels did it well too where the crew only escapes because Vader wants them to escape, and not before he makes mockery of the in a brief fight.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The vague hints for the setting for all the lines mostly seem to be "Between IV and V", really. Post Alderaan and the Death star, but the implication in Strongholds of Resistance is that the rebel Hoth base is still active as opposed to "fleeing At-Ats and orbital star destroyers"

And they're tossing in Rebels stuff more in the books.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That FFG demo adventure got Vader right (rocks fall, everybody dies). Alternatively, Rebels did it well too where the crew only escapes because Vader wants them to escape, and not before he makes mockery of the in a brief fight.

That's the way it should be. I'm not above making certain characters unbeatable, either, so I think I'll just do that sort of thing. "I scored 12 hits!" "Yeah, he doesn't appear to be scratched." I know it might be poor GMing, but some characters just shouldn't be defeated. Plus, y'know, that's how you get paradoxes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

That seems like the easiest thing to change if it doesn't suit you, though.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think they statted up Lando for an adventure once, with a specific note that 'these stats only apply to him for this scenario, if he shows up in another adventure he'll have stats suited to that instead, do not take this poo poo as gospel, goddamn.'

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

tbh, I've always avoided having ANY movie characters in my Star Wars campaigns going back through d20 and d6, unless the movie character was doing something narrative-related like Mon Mothma giving a speech or Admiral Ackbar showing up in a MonCal cruiser and saving the party from Star Destroyers. That just avoids the whole issue of fudging rolls so that the party doesn't kill the Emperor and ruin the universe or something.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That and I always felt it both cheapened the experience as either players or movie heroes start playing second fiddle to the other, and made it too much of a theme park ride. It's a biggs galaxy out there, you don't need to meet someone famous everywhere go.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

tbh, I've always avoided having ANY movie characters in my Star Wars campaigns going back through d20 and d6, unless the movie character was doing something narrative-related like Mon Mothma giving a speech or Admiral Ackbar showing up in a MonCal cruiser and saving the party from Star Destroyers. That just avoids the whole issue of fudging rolls so that the party doesn't kill the Emperor and ruin the universe or something.

My biggest concern was really that the players would ignore whatever quests that would invest them in their own characters just in order to go hunt down some big name villain like that. And then as a GM I'd have to find some way to either have them NOT kill Hitler-I MEAN VADER or just tell them no. Neither seems like a good option, so I'd like for the temptation not even to be out there.

Plus, I'd like to see actual panic when they hear a shuttle with Lord Vader is approaching their planet. But that last part might end up back-firing and having them stay to see if they can take him... Hmm... better to stick with an original cast.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FuriousAngle posted:

My biggest concern was really that the players would ignore whatever quests that would invest them in their own characters just in order to go hunt down some big name villain like that. And then as a GM I'd have to find some way to either have them NOT kill Hitler-I MEAN VADER or just tell them no. Neither seems like a good option, so I'd like for the temptation not even to be out there.

Plus, I'd like to see actual panic when they hear a shuttle with Lord Vader is approaching their planet. But that last part might end up back-firing and having them stay to see if they can take him... Hmm... better to stick with an original cast.

I don't want to be nitpicky but that really sounds like a GM problem. Why on earth would PCs ever get the notion that they can take Vader, stats or no? Or even Jabba the Hutt?

"We're going to take on Vader!" Okay, he is literally surrounded by elite troopers at all times. You will die. If at that point they decide to spend 12 adventures concocting the perfect plot to kill hitler Vader then I look at it this way:

1) The players had 12 fun sessions of doing what THEY want to do.

2) I have Destiny Points that I can use to throw massive wrenches into everything they try to do, without outright fudging rolls or railroading them into some other pre-planned narrative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Madurai posted:

That seems like the easiest thing to change if it doesn't suit you, though.

Yeah, all the fluff text assumes a mid-OT timeframe, but nothing is really "locked" into that from a rules perspective. Re-skin to your heart's content

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't want to be nitpicky but that really sounds like a GM problem. Why on earth would PCs ever get the notion that they can take Vader, stats or no? Or even Jabba the Hutt?

"We're going to take on Vader!" Okay, he is literally surrounded by elite troopers at all times. You will die. If at that point they decide to spend 12 adventures concocting the perfect plot to kill hitler Vader then I look at it this way:

1) The players had 12 fun sessions of doing what THEY want to do.

2) I have Destiny Points that I can use to throw massive wrenches into everything they try to do, without outright fudging rolls or railroading them into some other pre-planned narrative.

I've had problems in the past, and I'm paranoid. I don't like killing characters, but sometimes players do things so audaciously stupid that I either have to tell them to roll up new characters or fudge things in their favor. "You... you want to ask the dracolich who's being oddly civil with you if he has a penis?" "You actually want to attack Strahd, the lord of the realm and your host, 'just in case'?"

I guess I'll have to learn more about the monkey wrenches Destiny Points can throw before I start running ongoing games. (I'm just planning on running the beginner game to see if it clicks with everyone).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
If my players decide they want to kill Vader, I'll be happy. I don't need to think about their motivation and goals and they get to do something they want to do and not something that I want them to do. I really don't see the problem there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Back in the EotE beta, it used to be that the GM could spend a Destiny Point when a Nemesis got taken down below its Wound Threshold to have the Nemesis suffer a critical hit but survive with 1 HP, after which you could presumably spend a Destiny Point as per normal to have the villain make a dramatic escape. I don't see that rule in the final versions of the three books, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I thought the Nemesis rule was in core books somewhere, because I clearly remember that and I never got the beta books. Maybe it's not called out specifically, but I feel like that is still an intention of the current rules.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nemesis was in EOTE GM kit I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That's for making a Big Bad type villain, not the "nemesis" classification of NPC, and it also doesn't include this rule. Instead it suggests giving a Big Bad an extra initiative tick at the end of the round.