Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Everyone, please be respectful of the needs and anxieties of men who spread their legs on public transit. They're very skittish when their safe spaces are violated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

alnilam posted:

Terms/memes that mock the dominant/privileged group in society (e.g. men, white people) are bad and divisive. They're not nearly as bad as terms that mock marginalized groups, but they're still bad. Ooh you turned the tables on the privileged group, they are the ones being mocked for once, how neat. Truly societal harmony is now just around the corner, and not pushed farther away by divisive "no u" language.

It's important to not deny marginalized groups of emotional catharsis, certainly not for some holier-than-thou "level playing field" garbage.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
It's kind of like when adults tell you to ignore the bullies at school and the bullies are so impressed with your stiff upper lip they never bullied you again.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There's a difference between telling the bully to gently caress right off, and saying "two can play at that game" and making fun of the bully .

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Agree. One of them they won't listen to, the other one will possibly shame them into stopping.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
And where the hell is the principal when all this poo poo is going down

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xanderkish posted:

Looking the other way while the bully's parents give them money and favours.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

Writing a post for his white men's rights blog :v:.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Terms/memes that mock the dominant/privileged group in society (e.g. men, white people) are bad and divisive. They're not nearly as bad as terms that mock marginalized groups, but they're still bad. Ooh you turned the tables on the privileged group, they are the ones being mocked for once, how neat. Truly societal harmony is now just around the corner, and not pushed farther away by divisive "no u" language.

This really reads like you're a straight white man who's saying this

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I didn't realize that by having my legs spread on the subway I was bullying marginalized groups. Is my decision to move my legs back together when someone wants to sit in the seat next to mine also problematic?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

memy posted:

I didn't realize that by having my legs spread on the subway I was bullying marginalized groups. Is my decision to move my legs back together when someone wants to sit in the seat next to mine also problematic?

If you see that other people are standing and still take several seats, then it's a problem. Otherwise, you're fine. I thought this was obvious.

I personally have never been offended by terms like "mansplaining," "manspreading," etc. I've always assumed that, unless I'm performing the action in question, it's not directed at me. On the other hand, it has made me consider that my compulsive need to explain things might come off as condescending to some people, which has gotten me to try to stop.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"Manspreading" is one of those things that was a reasonable analysis of how men's position in society gives them small, unconscious advantages that got twisted and misinterpreted (wilfully or otherwise) to the point of parody.

Like how when Dworkin said that hetero sex is rape she was really saying that the male/female power dynamic in society is pushed so far into the man's favour that it could be argued that there is an inherent advantage being exploited when a man asks a woman for sex, but ignorant people have twisted it into "lol dumb feminists thinking everything is akin to violent, tear-your-clothes-off rape :rolleyes:".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

alnilam posted:

It's super important that marginalized groups only seek progress at the pace the privileged group feels comfortable and avoids anything that might make the privileged group feel bad, lest the privileged group ever be made to feel that society isn't designed for their comfort.

Or maybe rather than immediately getting defensive and denying there's a problem so they don't feel complicit in bad things people in priviliged groups could actually take criticism and not be complicit in bad things.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

memy posted:

Like Lady Naga said, manspreading is an example of the often unconscious social privileges of men versus women. Men are often encouraged to take up as much space as possible--it's viewed as a sign of dominance--whereas women do not. Try noting sometimes how many men spread their legs when they sit versus how many women keep their legs tucked underneath their chairs.

You can also see this in men versus women's fashion. Men's suits generally have a wide range of motion, and their shoes are basically the same as any others in terms of functionality. Women's dresses often restrict movement much more, and their shoes, usually high heels and stilettos, are so laughably impractical and uncomfortable that it's actually considered an achievement for people to run in them. Men's formal wear don't exactly emphasize practicality, but they allow for it. Women's formal wear basically constricts women into fleshy lamps.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sometimes my balls get stuck to my leg, would be my excuse

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nice interpretation of what i'm saying, everyone. There is plenty of good criticism that white people / straight people / men need to hear and should feel bad about. "Isn't it dumb how men are always taking up too much room on the subway" or "haha white people are so bad at dancing" however are divisive for no good reason :shrug:

I guess I'm just a practical thinker and I see things in terms of how can we fix our horrible society as quickly as possible, because the longer it takes the longer marginalized groups are suffering. And even if privileged groups might deserve it, I don't see petty jabs as helping at all. If anything, they just feed the delusions of e.g. assholes who want to cast feminists as a bunch of man-haters so they can continue to ignore/belittle feminism.

e: also I did not realize during this discussion that manspreading is said to be a subtle act of dominance?? It's about the balls. You're an rear end in a top hat if you take up too much room on the bus, and I'd believe that refusal to scrunch up and make room, when people need to sit down, comes from a place of privilege. But when given ample space, sitting with legs slightly spread is because of balls.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Nice interpretation of what i'm saying, everyone. There is plenty of good criticism that white people / straight people / men need to hear and should feel bad about. "Isn't it dumb how men are always taking up too much room on the subway" or "haha white people are so bad at dancing" however are divisive for no good reason :shrug:

I guess I'm just a practical thinker and I see things in terms of how can we fix our horrible society as quickly as possible, because the longer it takes the longer marginalized groups are suffering. And even if privileged groups might deserve it, I don't see petty jabs as helping at all. If anything, they just feed the delusions of e.g. assholes who want to cast feminists as a bunch of man-haters so they can continue to ignore/belittle feminism.

Lady Naga posted:

It's important to not deny marginalized groups of emotional catharsis, certainly not for some holier-than-thou "level playing field" garbage.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not making any more posts on the matter. Sorry I fed the derail. The point is we're generally on the same side and disagree slightly about the methods. Whatever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

sometimes my balls get stuck to my leg, would be my excuse

Sometimes a fat dude's hairy knee gets rubs against my thigh for an entire bus trip.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

toonspreading

pee pee doo doo

KER-BLACK!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
UAR UAR

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

I know what the message is, but this is some surrealist poo poo right here: is that supposed to be a shanty house made out of the mushroom ration box? It looks like some sort of abstract sculpture in the middle of a desert.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure they just realized that it would be hard to draw a box big enough for that label and also be shallow enough to show that it is empty

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

albany academy posted:

I'm pretty sure they just realized that it would be hard to draw a box big enough for that label and also be shallow enough to show that it is empty

It's a problem that has been solved by retail shops a long while ago, with boxes that open diagonally so that they turn into a display box.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Why would rations be in a display box

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:spooky: President Zuma :spooky:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

albany academy posted:

Why would rations be in a display box

It really takes me out of a 'toon when they take liberties with reality like that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Abyssal Squid posted:

When was the last time we had an Everett True dump? It feels like it's been ages.

Speaking of which, here's one posted just recently in the new 2016 Comic Strip Megathread:

100 years later, and still relevant.

Also, I really love the guy's shiny bling.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
As lovely as most of Jerm/South African Lester's views are, it's still cool to have cartoons from South Africa posted. It's a cool look into non-American issues and politicians, so please keep posting them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

Not get attacked by police while protesting.

Would like to point out that bringing out a gun in front of police is going to increase the chances of you sustaining bodily harm.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would like to point out that bringing out a gun in front of police is going to increase the chances of you sustaining bodily harm.

Unless you're a white "militiaman," that's the joke I think

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

FishBulb posted:

That dude is alllllllllllll pants

BTW it should perhaps be noted that Everett True's manner of dress was already considered hilariously outmoded at the time the comics were made. It's an extra bit of humor tossed in by the cartoonist that is pretty much lost now that everyone's outfits in an Everett True comic are extremely old-fashioned.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

alnilam posted:

Unless you're a white "militiaman," that's the joke I think

Picked a bad time to ban dbd :smith:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Picked a bad time to ban dbd :smith:

I know. DBD gets banned, and then we get an IRL fuckbarn with militia wannabes speaking nonsense and stroking their guns.

It's like some sort of hell we can't escape from.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Oops! I forgot to finish my joke!

I have to wonder if this is Henry's version of the old "what is the difference between a duck" absurdist joke.

(the answer, for those of you unfamiliar, is "one of its legs are both the same." No, it doesn't make sense. It's not supposed to. Please don't derail the thread for five pages.)

A Tree Happened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Flashback: 1992

Last time, we saw that, in the lead-up to the elections, very few Democrats were willing to take on George Bush. There were a handful of characters, many of whom we'll meet in future weeks, but many were interested early on in the young governor of Arkansas. George Fisher of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette did not seem particularly impressed.

I'm not sure the cartoonist understands how metaphors work. Okay, Bill Clinton is portrayed as a little boy who's used to tricycles inspecting a monster truck, clearly indicating he doesn't think Clinton is ready for the job. I guess he's just saying Clinton can't decide whether to "buy" a presidential campaign, but "kicking the tires" seems to imply that the presidency itself might be a scam or something. But in that case, shouldn't Clinton look suspicious, not mischievous? I'm probably overthinking it. The message isn't terrible- basically "does Clinton know what he's getting into?" It's not nearly as vicious as Clinton criticism would eventually become.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure the cartoonist understands how metaphors work. Okay, Bill Clinton is portrayed as a little boy who's used to tricycles inspecting a monster truck, clearly indicating he doesn't think Clinton is ready for the job. I guess he's just saying Clinton can't decide whether to "buy" a presidential campaign, but "kicking the tires" seems to imply that the presidency itself might be a scam or something. But in that case, shouldn't Clinton look suspicious, not mischievous? I'm probably overthinking it. The message isn't terrible- basically "does Clinton know what he's getting into?" It's not nearly as vicious as Clinton criticism would eventually become.

"kicking the tires" is just something someone does when they're trying to decide whether or not to buy a car, there's no real implication of duplicity. Tires haven't been shoddy enough to deflate when kicked for probably a century, it's just a colloquialism.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Flashback: 1992

Last time, we saw that, in the lead-up to the elections, very few Democrats were willing to take on George Bush. There were a handful of characters, many of whom we'll meet in future weeks, but many were interested early on in the young governor of Arkansas. George Fisher of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette did not seem particularly impressed.

Searching around, it appears the cartoonist drew Clinton as a baby when he was running for governor, because he was only 32 at the time. When he got elected, the cartoonist upgraded him to a tricycle.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Selachian posted:

Searching around, it appears the cartoonist drew Clinton as a baby when he was running for governor, because he was only 32 at the time. When he got elected, the cartoonist upgraded him to a tricycle.

Huh. Petty as it is, it's actually kinda clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

• Locked thread