Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Killed the throne with Fish a few days ago. Then I got to the throne as Robot and destroyed the generators and then promptly died because I got too excited about shooting the throne itself and walked out into the middle without thinking and caught a facefull of those little shots that break off of the bigger one.

Then I had a really promising YV run where I had a super crossbow and an auto flame shotgun. I died to a car behind me due to shotgun shoulders bouncing the pellets behind me right into the car.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I finally killed Lil' Hunter and prompt walked into a robo-wolf and died

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I finally have discovered the thing that will kill the daily killcount meta once and for all

https://vid.me/6fWh

(apparently this happens when you go to the crib WHILE having activated a non-"sequence" level like jungle, pizza sewers, IDPD)

I wish they hadn't declared the game as 'released' with these kind of bugs still remaining (although I understand why they wanted to get it out). Does anyone know if this happens on XBONE/PS4?

I think it still happens on YVs crib too; if you get level ultra in a crown vault by killing a guardian then you are permanently trapped there. Saddest way to end a a daily!

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Barrington posted:

I still maintain that bandits are the hardest enemy in the game! I feel like I understand the patterns of every other enemy, but they are just so random with their shooting :suicide:. I'd like to see stats on which enemies each character has died to the most.

Pay attention to which direction its gun is pointing. There's nothing random about it, the enemy will point in a direction and then shoot a few moments later.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Barrington posted:

I wish they hadn't declared the game as 'released' with these kind of bugs still remaining (although I understand why they wanted to get it out). Does anyone know if this happens on XBONE/PS4?

I think it still happens on YVs crib too; if you get level ultra in a crown vault by killing a guardian then you are permanently trapped there. Saddest way to end a a daily!

We get bonus bugs on the PS4 too; for example, if you get a golden gun, you're unable to deselect it from that point in, because that requires a mouse. So if you get one with Chicken, goodbye sword!

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I finally killed Lil' Hunter and prompt walked into a robo-wolf and died

I did this yesterday after I read this post!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i really miss the hands holding up the crowns in the vault

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

de la peche posted:

We get bonus bugs on the PS4 too; for example, if you get a golden gun, you're unable to deselect it from that point in, because that requires a mouse. So if you get one with Chicken, goodbye sword!

You know you can plug a mouse into your PS4, right? Or does the PS4 version not support it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Night Shade posted:

You know you can plug a mouse into your PS4, right? Or does the PS4 version not support it?

imho, it's a bug if you have to plug a mouse into your ps4...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

PleasingFungus posted:

imho, it's a bug if you have to plug a mouse into your ps4...

I agree. it's not really gamepad compatible either. It's a massive pain in the rear end to setup right.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah this game is not finished at all. How many weeks has the daily/weekly been broken now?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The weird thing is, everything was working perfectly for like two weeks. :iiam:

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah this game is not finished at all. How many weeks has the daily/weekly been broken now?

like 3 or 4 months i'd guess

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

megane posted:

The weird thing is, everything was working perfectly for like two weeks. :iiam:

They had to rewrite basically the entire engine for the Vita release.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
A patch has been ready since before christmas, but it takes a long loving time to get through Sony's vetting procedures, according to Rami.

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels

EvilMike posted:

Pay attention to which direction its gun is pointing. There's nothing random about it, the enemy will point in a direction and then shoot a few moments later.

Thanks, played around with bandits for a while on 1-1, surprised I had never noticed this before! I still find them quite unpredictable and get quickscoped by them more often than I would like!

I'd love to see a training mode (Crypt of the Necrodancer style) where you 1v1 any enemy in the game.

Can't wait for the dailies to come back online; my weekly hours logged playing the game have plummeted since I've been unable to check my ranking...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thanks Internet posted:

They had to rewrite basically the entire engine for the Vita release.

It is still bizarre to me that they rewrote the entire engine just before launch. Must have been some real hectic decision-making behind the scenes...

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

PleasingFungus posted:

It is still bizarre to me that they rewrote the entire engine just before launch. Must have been some real hectic decision-making behind the scenes...

I'm just speculating on some of this so if I'm wrong correct me, but what I think happened was they signed a contract with Sony to release at PSX and then based on that planned to be feature complete by the end of the summer so they could spend the remaining time making sure the ports were done.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Hotline Miami Vita release was a similar clusterfuck.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did I read one of these previous posts wrong or is the PC update now tied to the same pipeline as the Console updating? Am I going to have to wait for the Nintendo Seal of Quality for patches that used to drop in a week?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I -think- that's how they're doing it now yeah, I guess something in their contract prevents them from updating the PC branch before the Playstation one.

e: and anyway, they are done with weekly updates, just fixes but no more new content.

e: ah they posted about it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/242680/discussions/0/451850213946302856/. In short: the fix is pretty hard apparently, they are working on it.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 8, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The real important part of that is that thronebutt.com will be coming back online! Holy poo poo! I'll have a reason to do dailies again!

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I finally looped and then died because I pop popped a hyper rifle into a heavy cop right as he shielded :madmax:

It took 78 hours of game time for me to loop. I feel like I am very bad except I only die to Little Hunter now, and I generally don't get hit until the scrapyard, and that's only when I'm not paying enough attention or a lot of crows are shooting at once.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to be sure who I've looped with? I'm trying to get Fish B skin.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Just look at your stats page, per character stats have a loop count.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Holy poo poo, that's still broken? I've taken a break from NT to play a few other roguelites and I guess I just assumed they would have fixed it since then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awesome, thanks. also until I was typing this I didn't realize that it's LOOP, not WIN. Phew, I only have a few more to go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trying to get Fish's B-skin brought new life to the game for me. Mostly because Fish is one of my favorite characters and I dislike playing as most of the others.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Trying to get Fish's B-skin brought new life to the game for me. Mostly because Fish is one of my favorite characters and I dislike playing as most of the others.

I actually don't have very many characters that I outright dislike playing as, but I'm starting to think I'd rather have each character possessing more distinct stats. A little more variety in HP as well as differences in movement speed, for instance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Character in NT follow the same template as mutations-instead of getting a ton of slightly different variables, each mutation is very big and meaningful and distinct. You don't have a HP stat you can choose to level up each time you level, there is just Rhino Skin and you can get it once and that's it. So it means something, a lot more than incremental HP(or other stat) upgrades would. The same thing follows for characters, NT does not take the lazy approach of just adjusting the stat sliders a bit for a bunch of dudes(COUGHbindingofisaacCOUGH). Each character's passive and active is totally unique on the character list and it's far better than way.

You have one single character who has less HP than normal, Melting, and it is a big, meaningful part of their design.
You have one single character who has more HP than normal, Crystal, and it is a big, meaningful part of their design.
You have one single character who has more movespeed than normal, Plant, and it is a big, meaningful part of their design.
None of the actual characters have lower movespeed than normal, because lower movespeed is fundamentally not fun. The only character who has this is a secret character, Skeleton, who does not even show up on the character select screen because he's not an official character, and his whole deal is being a challenge character.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo, that's still broken? I've taken a break from NT to play a few other roguelites and I guess I just assumed they would have fixed it since then.
It's because along with their move to new servers for that they're setting up thronebutt.com again, so you'll be able to go look at old daily scores, see how many times you'other people have won, etc. That's fine IMO because as far as I'm concerned dailies are borderline meaningless without thronebutt.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Heh, killed the throne and looped with Steroids using double machine guns. I didn't even get hit a single time, but just to prove I am bad at the game I died to the ~true~ throne because I dodged into his bullets.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

It's because along with their move to new servers for that they're setting up thronebutt.com again, so you'll be able to go look at old daily scores, see how many times you'other people have won, etc. That's fine IMO because as far as I'm concerned dailies are borderline meaningless without thronebutt.

Nice, that's a feature I like in other roguelites with "dailies" and "weeklies".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You may disagree but having daily scores basically vanish off the face of the earth with nowhere to archive them or track your previous performance in dailies really kills my motivation to do them at all, because once the day is over they're just... lost to the wind!

You won't even know for sure if you actually had the placement you had when you last checked, even if you checked right before the daily rolled over, because someone may have started their run near the end of that day and finished it once the daily had rolled over to the next. And without something that archives daily scores, neither of you will know who won!

I suppose for a lot of people a daily is just an excuse to play a round and try harder than normal, but I'm pretty invested in my score, whether or not I get #1, top 10, etc. And without someplace to store daily results for viewing later I just don't care about dailies. This is true of all game that have them for me.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 10, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Race stream going on again here!

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

IronicDongz posted:

You may disagree but having daily scores basically vanish off the face of the earth with nowhere to archive them or track your previous performance in dailies really kills my motivation to do them at all, because once the day is over they're just... lost to the wind!

They are planning to bring it back better than ever, is my understanding. Website browsability and all. Once the stream key starts working without crashing the game, that should be completely doable.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Not only are they bringing it back, Vlambeer bought the domain from the guy who made it and then hired the guy who made it as a Vlambeer employee.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

he actually did it. the absolute madman

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i've got 50+ hours on this game and i have never passed 5-3. i've played on and off since it was in greenlight and i am so bad it's funny. i feel like i understand what mutations to take when, but i cannot beat lil' bandit. i wish the game had a practice mode or boss rush mode or something, because i seem to die so quickly to him that i'm never really learning from my mistakes, and that's on the times i die to him and not a random mecha-yeti rushing into me. then it's maybe another 10 runs before i even get that far again. :(

of the characters i've unlocked, i have the best performance with robot. i've heard that crystal is babby's first loop character, but i just don't care about stopping to block projectiles; i'd rather dodge out of the way (plus i don't think her crystal shell stops contact damage from things that run into you does it?).

is it better to try and shortcut jumps to level 5 (things like underwater world from 1-1) or to bother with going to YV's mansion or going to either crown vault on 3-2 or 5-2? i feel like trying to play straight to 5-3 gives me more chances to gently caress up and die, but the shortcut worlds seem actually harder.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

homeless poster posted:

i've got 50+ hours on this game and i have never passed 5-3. i've played on and off since it was in greenlight and i am so bad it's funny. i feel like i understand what mutations to take when, but i cannot beat lil' bandit. i wish the game had a practice mode or boss rush mode or something, because i seem to die so quickly to him that i'm never really learning from my mistakes, and that's on the times i die to him and not a random mecha-yeti rushing into me. then it's maybe another 10 runs before i even get that far again. :(

of the characters i've unlocked, i have the best performance with robot. i've heard that crystal is babby's first loop character, but i just don't care about stopping to block projectiles; i'd rather dodge out of the way (plus i don't think her crystal shell stops contact damage from things that run into you does it?).

is it better to try and shortcut jumps to level 5 (things like underwater world from 1-1) or to bother with going to YV's mansion or going to either crown vault on 3-2 or 5-2? i feel like trying to play straight to 5-3 gives me more chances to gently caress up and die, but the shortcut worlds seem actually harder.

I'm pretty sure that shortcut worlds that have you skip large chunks of the game, like the oasis, make the game easier overall, since it gets harder based on how many times you've gone through a portal. Going into crown vaults and the ninja turtles place makes the game harder overall, because they don't skip you ahead but add an additional portal to your progress. However, while making more enemies spawn, it brings up weapon rarity by one, so you can get better weapons earlier if you first go to the ninja turtle house and then the crown vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I hope they add Big Dog as a playable character in the release version at some point. Big Dog Best Dog.

• Locked thread