Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EGSunBro posted:

Man this is crazy. Good characters are gonna come down to raw stats way more often now, since ability access isn't really gonna hold anyone back anymore. I think this leaves like Support and Summoner as 5* as skillsets that raise characters up from access alone since Full Break and Bahamut/Odin are so useful?

Dancer and Machinist are still completely isolated from Cores.

In addition, there's still stuff like Thief Raid. Even if it was open to other characters, only those with high speed, like Snow and Zell, could take advantage of it.

And while this might sound like a big deal, remember that characters are still limited to two skill slots. You don't really want your black mage using up a slot for Lifesiphon in an Ultimate fight, although giving Lifesiphon to someone with an AoE heal could be productive.

The big prize in my opinion is going to be Darkness access. Darkness on any 5* Thief is going to be strong.

Certainly makes me consider again pulling for Golbez's armour in a couple days. +Dark damage could prove really useful in six months...

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's only one Knight and one Samurai, so that'd only be two characters.

Still, you could just slap Loner/Solitude onto them and duo any boss that only uses physical attacks.

I'd say do a Cloud/Steiner duo group with those RMs. Slap Knight onto Cloud, Samurai onto Steiner, add Tauntaliate or just retaliate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

Give your knights Retaliate and your samurai Draw Fire.

Give Cloud Steal Power. :getin:

Even better would be to give give Agrias Steal Power and give Ramza Spellblade usage. :black101:

e: Steal Power is pointless on Agrias if you have Scream on Ramza though since, IIRC, they don't stack their atk buffs.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
Interesting. I wonder if there's one ability set you could add to someone like DK Cecil to make him a good character. Pretty sure he still has the second highest atk in the game, and he has a way better equipment kit than Sephiroth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zone of Danger posted:

Interesting. I wonder if there's one ability set you could add to someone like DK Cecil to make him a good character. Pretty sure he still has the second highest atk in the game, and he has a way better equipment kit than Sephiroth.

I think the thief has access to Celerity 4, so Dismissal would be a nice addition to his skills. Are there any Cores with Support 4 or 5?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Core Class Augment thing is pretty much confirmed, not only is the image from DeNA's own server, they mentioned a new way to customize characters in the FFRK report they just released. The other new thing mentioned is that there will be a new way to increase a character's level cap independent of Memory Crystals. EDIT: Sorry, that second thing was a mistranslation on my part. It's just referring to the augment system.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 10, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

U-DO Burger posted:

I think the thief has access to Celerity 4, so Dismissal would be a nice addition to his skills. Are there any Cores with Support 4 or 5?

Bard has support 4 I think, someone on this page already mentioned you could use him to give anyone breakdown access.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Alright, FFX completely mastered. Very first time since they added bonus battles. Was just hoping for a win against Ult Yunalesca.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EGSunBro posted:

Man this is crazy. Good characters are gonna come down to raw stats way more often now, since ability access isn't really gonna hold anyone back anymore. I think this leaves like Support and Summoner as 5* as skillsets that raise characters up from access alone since Full Break and Bahamut/Odin are so useful?

Equipment will make or break still, too.

No matter what you do to Sazh or Barret, they've still only got guns and daggers. (And Gun Arms, I guess, in Barret's case). No matter what you add to Sephiroth, he's still only got Katana access. And so forth.

Also, for those wondering, Ninja and Thief have Celery 4, Bard has Support 4, Ranger has both at 3 (which gives Tempo Flurry and status busters, aka the Standard Protagonist Package)

EDIT: Saint Cross makes Knight 5* a really important thing, too. Thief's Raid is situational but everyone that can get it can use it, so.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 9, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Hmm, I'm ambivalent on this core augmentation system. The flexibility is nice but unless the connection to a core is permanent, it completely guts the whole premise of different characters having different ability access. With only two ability slots and presumably at least ONE of those slots will be filled with an ability the character already had access to, you can literally fill the other slot with anything but dance/machinist/(darkness?). Basically anyone can do anything now. You'll never really need to think about who to bring to hold all the abilities you want- just bring the same A team to everything.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Oh my god character augumentation is not only broken as hell, it'll enable the dumbest gimmicks ever created.

On the broken side:

Link Thief to Agrias. 5* combat (Lifesiphon), 4* spellblade (a lot), 4* thief (Steal Power), 5* knight (Draw Fire), 4* white magic (protectga/shellga/curaja). Like if it wasn't for soul breaks and the 2 ability limit, you would use her on every team ever created.

Anyone with either 2* Samurai or 3* Knight access can now draw-fire + retaliate. Because clearly Ramza needed to be buffed.

On the dumb gimmick side:

BLACK MAGE GILGAMESH. 92 magic at level 50 + can equip rods + 5* Black magic if you link him with a magus = a pretty low magic black mage but with absolutely insane HP and good defenses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, I now regret not taking Tyrfing. Luneth could advantaliate himself. :(

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

A possible dark side: Using a Core like that consumes the Core, and you can never get them back. :unsmigghh: So much for completionists.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Retaliating, Runiced Celes. :unsmigghh:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

the Orb of Zot posted:

BLACK MAGE GILGAMESH. 92 magic at level 50 + can equip rods + 5* Black magic if you link him with a magus = a pretty low magic black mage but with absolutely insane HP and good defenses.

This is an amazing gimmick though, and it only gets better if you have an Enhancer VI, Rune Axe IV, Runeblade XII...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This process of augmenting is pretty neat, but I almost wish it was focused on making the Cores playable instead of using them for power boosts. I guess the point of this is less for balancing and more for making it easier to build viable teams full of characters you like.

One thing that constantly frustrates me is only two ability slots. Having a third slot would break the game entirely, but why not let people plug in situational extra abilities into SB slots? Like, one bar could be the cost for 1-2* abilities, two bars for 3-4*, and a full gauge for 5*.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
As someone who gets really stubborn about wanting to play with the characters they like rather than the ones that are "The Best, Scientifically Speaking", the ability to plug holes in characters I like at will sounds really awesome.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It'll be great for when you want Protectga and Shellga at the same time, and also for those stupid gimmick mastery conditions with status effects.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

KataraniSword posted:

A possible dark side: Using a Core like that consumes the Core, and you can never get them back. :unsmigghh: So much for completionists.

Solution: New Core Crystals... unlocks an additional copy of any Core character you unlocked before, so you can have plenty of cores to throw in the furnace.

Seriously, though, it's just nice to have another real actual use for the Cores other than collecting and the slight chance of getting a good materia. Would be kinda neat if they incorporated the Soul Breaks too... that'd give Core SB relics some kind of point.

Allow core augmentation to share their SBs... then release an SB relic that does 5 AOE hits of 9999 damage while casting full-party cure, raise, haste, and esuna. Give that relic to the Warrior.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
so with this Character Augment system

I can literally punch with anyone?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mo0 posted:

As someone who gets really stubborn about wanting to play with the characters they like rather than the ones that are "The Best, Scientifically Speaking", the ability to plug holes in characters I like at will sounds really awesome.
:agreed:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
On Yunalesca:

when I bring carbuncle she casts Holy once or twice and I die from lack of healing. When I leave carbuncle behind she spams holy faster than my hasted healer and I die from holy hitting casters for 4k+ through shell.

What are the RMs to start with 1 bar of super? I need Stoneskin up and running.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PJOmega posted:

On Yunalesca:

when I bring carbuncle she casts Holy once or twice and I die from lack of healing. When I leave carbuncle behind she spams holy faster than my hasted healer and I die from holy hitting casters for 4k+ through shell.

Mako Might, (Cloud, RM3), and Dr. Mog's Teachings (Tyro, RM3). Both require that you have level broken the respective character twice.

Have you considered bringing Shellga? You'll also need to bring Draw Fire to make sure that she doesn't strip buffs from your casters, but it's pretty helpful.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Mako Might, (Cloud, RM3), and Dr. Mog's Teachings (Tyro, RM3). Both require that you have level broken the respective character twice.

Have you considered bringing Shellga? You'll also need to bring Draw Fire to make sure that she doesn't strip buffs from your casters, but it's pretty helpful.

Meant Shellga, and yeah. She hasn't stripped a buff ever, not even when I beat it (but lost a character one second before killing her). Unless Absorb is stripping Shellga buff?

And drat, that means I have to get Cloud's RM2 or egg Tyro from 50 to 65.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

PJOmega posted:

Meant Shellga, and yeah. She hasn't stripped a buff ever, not even when I beat it (but lost a character one second before killing her). Unless Absorb is stripping Shellga buff?

And drat, that means I have to get Cloud's RM2 or egg Tyro from 50 to 65.

Her regular attack strips buffs from whoever it hits

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

That explains a lot.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

PJOmega posted:

On Yunalesca:

Is this Ultimate Yunalesca? If so I'll continue to recommend just bring a party-wide regen (Kirin or Memento of Prayer) and removing Sap after every Hellbiter so you just never have to deal with Holy since Mega Death is only a 5% chance of happening.

If it's just Elite Yunalesca I don't have as much practical advice.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe Magic Lure can help with Yunalesca's Holy? At the very least your mages won't be getting hit

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I just wanted to at least do FF1 dungeons with the FF1 crew. Poor cores.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Official report out, one thing of note: The crossover event with FF-Mobius will actually introduce new playable characters. They'll have FF1 synergy, but that's much more in depth than how these sort of things tend to go.

Also the FF10 event mentioned earlier apparently will be giving us Braska as a playable character. Ok then.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe Magic Lure can help with Yunalesca's Holy? At the very least your mages won't be getting hit

You're better off just using Draw Fire to keep shellga up all around.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

You might have guessed already, but the same is true of her counterattack.

U-DO Burger posted:

Magic Lure only works on black magic.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This is so stupid. I've been putting off the X event stuff and am finally getting around to doing it. I can't master the first Yunalesca fight for the life of me. I can beat it easily but lose medals on actions and damage taken no matter what I do. It's not even a hard fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Official report out, one thing of note: The crossover event with FF-Mobius will actually introduce new playable characters. They'll have FF1 synergy, but that's much more in depth than how these sort of things tend to go.

Also the FF10 event mentioned earlier apparently will be giving us Braska as a playable character. Ok then.

I'm honestly unsure how they're going to differentiate Braska from Yuna. Give him Black Magic? Support? Bard?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm honestly unsure how they're going to differentiate Braska from Yuna. Give him Black Magic? Support? Bard?

I'd say just make Braska a better Yuna. After all, bloodlines and whatnot. Plus the idea of slowly replacing the ones you love with better versions.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
dammit, i just finished final fantasy 5 (my first time actually finishing a final fantasy - the only other ones i've played were FFI when i was 8 and halfway through 9). Now i'm all emotionally attached to Greg, Butz and crew and a FF5 event just passed and i can't whale for SSB. Oh well :( hopefully another one comes along soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lechtansi posted:

dammit, i just finished final fantasy 5 (my first time actually finishing a final fantasy - the only other ones i've played were FFI when i was 8 and halfway through 9). Now i'm all emotionally attached to Greg, Butz and crew and a FF5 event just passed and i can't whale for SSB. Oh well :( hopefully another one comes along soon.

7 events from now if this post is accurate, which is actually the first FFV SSB banner, actually. The previous ones were just regular SBs I believe.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Huh, so I realized I could try for the Bard's RMs in Core. Would Zealot be something worth shooting for?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn do we need new 3 and 4*'s, I'm sick of getting the game useless rods and Irvine's loving hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IcePhoenix posted:

7 events from now if this post is accurate, which is actually the first FFV SSB banner, actually. The previous ones were just regular SBs I believe.

That one doesn't have an SSB. The first two FF5 SSBs come during the Anniversary Celebration; both Bartz and Gilgamesh get one there.

• Locked thread