Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a feeling they're only going to add more half-developed content like in night life rather than going back and refining things. This isn't paradox, I don't think they're going to be going back to existing "working as intended" gameplay and fix it up.

They'll implement trams, but probably in a way that most people don't like. Like it's just a special road type and works like buses, not a separate network you can build on roads or their own right of way or snake them through squares.
They'll add a bunch of weird unbalanced sci-fy special buildings that are cool but don't feel properly thought out in terms of game play effects.
They'll add some more district specializations that don't really do anything gameplay wise but add some marketable cool looking buildings.
They'll add some more roads and network types, but still not have intersection/traffic light/turning lane controls like you get from mods.
They'll add another growable building theme, maybe asian buildings.
They'll add a monorail or something and not understand when people get upset that it's not just elevated metro rail that can be tied in with the railway or metro system.

I love this game and I'm really impressed with what CO has pulled off, but I often feel like there's this slight block between the fans/players and CO. They've got their own direction and ideas for the game and the fans often have another and they're just not interested in having a conversation about that. They certainly don't have to, but I feel spoiled by Paradox. The Paradox devs have their own very good ideas, but they seem to really have their finger on the pulse of the community and really understand what the players want, or are able to translate the player's complaints and demands into actual good gameplay. Or more importantly Paradox knows which feedback to listen to and which to ignore and refine that into good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd like to hope they got batted on the nose by some mentoring from Paradox business development guys in a post mortem for After Dark because none of the features were really transformative. Here's hoping its just growing pains from shifting to the expansion model and needing to staff up following original release.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
The one thing I really want is to have my city feel alive. I want events which draw tourists and causes traffic increase, parades, disasters (of course), and other things which make my cities feel more dynamic. More themes and transportation types would be cool but I just don't find the lasting enjoyment from those.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Watch the next DLC be some bullshit veneer like seasons.

e: VVV I can't believe how good your bigass garbage disposal buildings are, and how stupid I was for ignoring them because of dumb workshop comments :(

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 10, 2016

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I for one would eat that bullshit veneer up. I goddamn love seasonal weather poo poo so hard. It lays nice groundwork for neat gameplay stuff too.

Also I made another thing because I want to play some Cities again :3:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Remmiz posted:

The one thing I really want is to have my city feel alive. I want events which draw tourists and causes traffic increase, parades, disasters (of course), and other things which make my cities feel more dynamic. More themes and transportation types would be cool but I just don't find the lasting enjoyment from those.

That was stuff I really liked in SimCity. Stuff like the concerts and sports events and such felt pretty awesome as you watched it unfold and tried to manage things.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

Fishbus posted:

I for one would eat that bullshit veneer up. I goddamn love seasonal weather poo poo so hard. It lays nice groundwork for neat gameplay stuff too.

Also I made another thing because I want to play some Cities again :3:

YES!

The rural police and fire stations are the two things I probably use the most, and I've been hoping someone would do the same with the clinic. Nice work!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baronjutter posted:

I have a feeling they're only going to add more half-developed content like in night life rather than going back and refining things. This isn't paradox, I don't think they're going to be going back to existing "working as intended" gameplay and fix it up.

They'll implement trams, but probably in a way that most people don't like. Like it's just a special road type and works like buses, not a separate network you can build on roads or their own right of way or snake them through squares.
They'll add a bunch of weird unbalanced sci-fy special buildings that are cool but don't feel properly thought out in terms of game play effects.
They'll add some more district specializations that don't really do anything gameplay wise but add some marketable cool looking buildings.
They'll add some more roads and network types, but still not have intersection/traffic light/turning lane controls like you get from mods.
They'll add another growable building theme, maybe asian buildings.
They'll add a monorail or something and not understand when people get upset that it's not just elevated metro rail that can be tied in with the railway or metro system.

I love this game and I'm really impressed with what CO has pulled off, but I often feel like there's this slight block between the fans/players and CO. They've got their own direction and ideas for the game and the fans often have another and they're just not interested in having a conversation about that. They certainly don't have to, but I feel spoiled by Paradox. The Paradox devs have their own very good ideas, but they seem to really have their finger on the pulse of the community and really understand what the players want, or are able to translate the player's complaints and demands into actual good gameplay. Or more importantly Paradox knows which feedback to listen to and which to ignore and refine that into good results.

This feels so true it is almost painful. :smith:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I was thinking recently, I think my dream city builder would be like C:S but epochal; like, how in SC2K where you could choose 1900 as a founding date, except anywhere from the Middle Ages on up, and make you have to actually deal with changes in technology as the city grows over time instead of just rewarding new infrastructure according to size thresholds. That'd also make it so you'd end up with the organized chaos of a place like London and have it grow into that organically as a consequence of the shifts in transportation, instead of just trying to ape the style like you do now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I was thinking recently, I think my dream city builder would be like C:S but epochal; like, how in SC2K where you could choose 1900 as a founding date, except anywhere from the Middle Ages on up, and make you have to actually deal with changes in technology as the city grows over time instead of just rewarding new infrastructure according to size thresholds. That'd also make it so you'd end up with the organized chaos of a place like London and have it grow into that organically as a consequence of the shifts in transportation, instead of just trying to ape the style like you do now.

It would be really interesting to see an actual Paradox styled city builder, with multiple era's to move through, and ridiculously deep game systems. Skylines is the most fun I've probably had with a city builder since SC2000 but it really does start to feel like "my first city builder" after a while.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ToastyPotato posted:

It would be really interesting to see an actual Paradox styled city builder, with multiple era's to move through, and ridiculously deep game systems. Skylines is the most fun I've probably had with a city builder since SC2000 but it really does start to feel like "my first city builder" after a while.

It would also lend some authenticity to the cathedral landmarks you build as well :shobon:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

It would also lend some authenticity to the cathedral landmarks you build as well :shobon:

Having certain buildings or even blocks surviving well over a century would be amazing. I want to play this nonexistent game so much. :negative:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Space filler from Cities XL was one of the most awesomr features

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Natural disasters? How about religious persecution riots and typhoid.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gibbo posted:

Natural disasters? How about religious persecution riots and typhoid.

Riots and health crisis in general would be pretty amazing. I could live without tornados and earthquakes and even floods potentially, but those other things are pretty big and integral to big city growth. Along with massive fires. I will admit that blizzards would be awesome as well though. Just because it would really test your infrastructure.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ToastyPotato posted:

Riots and health crisis in general would be pretty amazing. I could live without tornados and earthquakes and even floods potentially, but those other things are pretty big and integral to big city growth. Along with massive fires. I will admit that blizzards would be awesome as well though. Just because it would really test your infrastructure.

Yeah it seems like disasters and events that you can combat (outbreak, conventions, riots, crashes) in various ways are more enjoyable, and engaging in some way, as opposed to things you cannot thwart ( volcanos, earthquakes, etc.)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What if, if they added natural disasters like tornadoes and volcanoes and floods and giant robots, they also added the ability to evacuate neighborhoods and mess with emergency services with it, so it's not just "welp, this part of my city is hosed, I'll just wait it out and rebuild"

you have to deal with clogged traffic, panic, your economy plummeting for a while during/after, etc. You could even tie it into smaller disasters like blackouts, outbreaks (poor living conditions while rebuilding), riots from moving everyone around, that sort of thing

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

What if, if they added natural disasters like tornadoes and volcanoes and floods and giant robots, they also added the ability to evacuate neighborhoods and mess with emergency services with it, so it's not just "welp, this part of my city is hosed, I'll just wait it out and rebuild"

you have to deal with clogged traffic, panic, your economy plummeting for a while during/after, etc. You could even tie it into smaller disasters outbreaks (poor living conditions while rebuilding), riots from moving everyone around, that sort of thing

While more interesting than the norm, it still ends up boiling down to a disaster that you can't prevent, with damage you can't really mitigate, that you have to wait and watch so that you can waste time rebuilding what the game randomly decided to destroy. At least with riots and plagues and fires, you can mitigate or even prevent these things through policies and infrastructure. Even a blizzard is mostly about clogged roads grinding the city to a halt, rather than flattening city blocks at random.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Snow fall would be nice.

Also a traffic accident emergency. Needs one ambo, one engine and one cop to solve, slows down traffic until that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

While more interesting than the norm, it still ends up boiling down to a disaster that you can't prevent, with damage you can't really mitigate, that you have to wait and watch so that you can waste time rebuilding what the game randomly decided to destroy. At least with riots and plagues and fires, you can mitigate or even prevent these things through policies and infrastructure. Even a blizzard is mostly about clogged roads grinding the city to a halt, rather than flattening city blocks at random.

if it were up to me I'd just put in an option in the menu where you can just be like "nope, don't want <BIG DISASTER>" or even a series of checkboxes with all the disasters so you can turn them off individually

Disasters and disaster management/recovery were my favorite parts of the Sim City games

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Floods would be easy. Just do a graphical effect and pump up your area water sources. Maybe add one or two at low elevation areas temporarily. Hell I imagine that could be done with a mod.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

If they implement a disaster system it'd be sort of neat if they also added a kind of "soft" disaster system based on the idea that your city is part of a fictional nation on a fictional globe. So basically like a lot of 4X games you'd have random global events that could hurt or help you: A national war event drafts a big chunk of your young adult population and you have to deal with the implications, or a national trade deal suddenly vaporizes demand for a certain industrial or commercial service, or another nearby war event causes a refugee surge and you need to create low income housing in time before bad things happen, or a nearby city has been selected for the Olympics and while it isn't yours a giant influx of tourists can be expected since you're next door and if you're smart you'll milk that poo poo. If they implement a time system ala some Simcity titles then they can just use history to take various event ideas from.

However the above would just be an RNG running for each individual copy of Cities on local computers. There is no need to "cloud" this poo poo or make all players subject to the same "national/global" events via some lovely centralized server system. Starting to think along those lines leads to MBA idiots doing user engagement analysis. User engagement leads to unnecessary paradigm shifting. Unnecessary paradigm shifting leads to unnecessary shitfuckery. Unnecessary shitfuckery leads to unethical profit enhancement. Unethical profit enhancement leads to Simcity 2013.

If any disasters are implemented they should all be toggle-able too.

Also snow would be cool.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still holding out hope for decent trams and ferries (and overall improvements in public transit options) since they were definitely a thing in Cities in Motion. I think Colossal Order is afraid of competing with their own product? It's a silly fear, given how Cities: Skylines has outsold everything else they've ever done, but I can see why they might be hesitant to too completely replicate CiM features in C:S but hopefully they'll get over it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

hailthefish posted:

I'm still holding out hope for decent trams and ferries (and overall improvements in public transit options) since they were definitely a thing in Cities in Motion. I think Colossal Order is afraid of competing with their own product? It's a silly fear, given how Cities: Skylines has outsold everything else they've ever done, but I can see why they might be hesitant to too completely replicate CiM features in C:S but hopefully they'll get over it.
I don't think they're avoiding mixing the chocolate with the peanut butter because of competition. They are trying to keep Skylines positioned as the city game for everyone, not the traffic minutiae game for hyper nerds. The temperature in the thread is definitely that its silly easy as a game, but there's still a remarkable amount of people who bounce off a difficulty wall with general traffic (gently caress this game, everyone gets in the same lane and jams traffic!), or mass transit (why the gently caress are there 6 buses tailgating each other!)

Speaking of traffic disasters, its kind of disheartening After Dark was supposed to be the tourism overhall because you still can't really get a good stream of tourists visiting, let alone create a resort town who's population quadruples at certain points with all the traffic issues that comes with.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A drunk driver went up the off ramp to your vitally important highway the wrong way and caused a major accident.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In your busy high density area a family decides to pack their car for vacation while illegally parked in the road.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

A single man accelerates wildly into a corner on your winding mountain road, crossing into oncoming traffic, and flying down a cliff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

A pedestrian using Google Maps is erroneously told to cross your highway interchange on foot.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Decrepus posted:

A pedestrian using Google Maps is erroneously told to cross your highway interchange on foot.

I once biked 40km on a 6/8 Lane highway with minimal shoulder because of Google maps.

Learned a new route pretty quick after that one

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zedprime posted:

I don't think they're avoiding mixing the chocolate with the peanut butter because of competition. They are trying to keep Skylines positioned as the city game for everyone, not the traffic minutiae game for hyper nerds. The temperature in the thread is definitely that its silly easy as a game, but there's still a remarkable amount of people who bounce off a difficulty wall with general traffic (gently caress this game, everyone gets in the same lane and jams traffic!), or mass transit (why the gently caress are there 6 buses tailgating each other!)

Speaking of traffic disasters, its kind of disheartening After Dark was supposed to be the tourism overhall because you still can't really get a good stream of tourists visiting, let alone create a resort town who's population quadruples at certain points with all the traffic issues that comes with.

The traffic difficulties that exist currently are less game challenges and more engine quirks that aren't meant to be simulating anything, which is kind of a problem. Adding more traffic options and possibly fixing traffic down the road wouldn't really make the game harder than it already is, if it were done well. It could even make things easier.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToastyPotato posted:

The traffic difficulties that exist currently are less game challenges and more engine quirks that aren't meant to be simulating anything, which is kind of a problem. Adding more traffic options and possibly fixing traffic down the road wouldn't really make the game harder than it already is, if it were done well. It could even make things easier.
Taking Traffic++ as an example, it definitely makes things easier. The problem is its at the expense of spending extra time doing very specific fiddling and knowing when each little feature is applicable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

zedprime posted:

Taking Traffic++ as an example, it definitely makes things easier. The problem is its at the expense of spending extra time doing very specific fiddling and knowing when each little feature is applicable.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I eventually gave up on Traffic++. It can solve problems, but it's all done completely manually and has to be done (and re-done) every time you create or change anything about an intersection. Since then, I've found other AI and traffic mods that yield better results by just making the AI look ahead a bit more and automatically treat different lanes as having different speed limits. That alone makes roads better utilised an makes traffic flows work much better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish skylines would just implement some of the most basic traffic mod features.

-Let us toggle traffic lights on or off. Actually why do they even exist, I turn them all off, I've actually never found a situation where traffic flows better with lights. I guess that's why we don't have a toggle for them because they don't really work. In real life they do work, because having a huge 6 lane 5 way intersection without any lights leads to Indiantraffic.jpg. In skylines cars all have perfect AI so handle them fine. The solution would be to change the way the AI handles intersections so that massive busy intersections without traffic lights are actually less efficient, so you generally want traffic lights on busy intersections.

-Have a quick intuitive way to set which lanes can turn into other lanes like in traffic ++. This is a fiddly feature 99% of intersections will never need, but just having it as a feature lets you do some cool stuff.

-Let us plop crosswalks mid-block. Why is this a mod?

-Pedestrian/bike only roads. Why not? This is a big feature in modern urban planning, specially in europe. CO could implement some that look nice, don't turn into dirt roads when you zoom out.

-Quick intuitive speed limit changer OR include a few new road types so you can have rural highways and such.

It's nuts that I need to combine 3 traffic mods together to do this, all with their own stupid interfaces. I don't mind traffic++ 's interface but it's a bit over fiddly for other things. But it doesn' t let you turn traffic lights off, for that you have to use traffic manager, which has a whole ton of features and it's own menu, of which I only ever click one tool. Then another separate mod to place crosswalks.

Oh then I need to use no-pillars mod in order to build nice looking bridges because the default game's collision detection for pillars and road elements is way too sensitive.
Then I have to use that sharp angles mod, which nicely overlaps on top of no-pillars interface, and use hot-keys to turn on and off "road anarchy" (which works similar to no pillars but not quite), "bending" and "segment snap". The vanilla game snaps to roads in far too big of a radius so you need a mod to turn it off when doing fiddly road work. Also the minimum angles for intersections in the game is ridiculous and looks specially horrible for railways, why do I need a mod for this? The vanilla game should allow these super tiny angle intersections for nice looking highway ramps and railway turnouts. Why do I need a mod to turn snapping off? There should just be a key I hold down.

Adding this poo poo to the game wouldn't make it more complex, they're just tools users can ignore or not.

Also why the gently caress do I need a mod to prevent transit vehicles from bunching up? Why isn't this default behavior? Why do I need a mod to set exactly how many transit vehicles are on a line? Not having control over that doesn't make the system more "simple" it makes it more frustrating. New players don't get why their one bus line has too many buses while the other has not enough. It's dumb, it's not simple it's confusingly restrictive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

If someone does make an "epochal" city builder like that, I'd really want the "epoch changes" to be player chosen. I.e. you have a set of requirements to fulfill before you can advance, but you don't advance automatically as soon as you fulfill them. A new epoch would give new possibilities, but also new challenges.

... actually that's rather much like the city stages already present in Skylines. Except for the manual advance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I wish skylines would just implement some of the most basic traffic mod features.

-Let us toggle traffic lights on or off. Actually why do they even exist, I turn them all off, I've actually never found a situation where traffic flows better with lights. I guess that's why we don't have a toggle for them because they don't really work. In real life they do work, because having a huge 6 lane 5 way intersection without any lights leads to Indiantraffic.jpg. In skylines cars all have perfect AI so handle them fine. The solution would be to change the way the AI handles intersections so that massive busy intersections without traffic lights are actually less efficient, so you generally want traffic lights on busy intersections.

-Have a quick intuitive way to set which lanes can turn into other lanes like in traffic ++. This is a fiddly feature 99% of intersections will never need, but just having it as a feature lets you do some cool stuff.

-Let us plop crosswalks mid-block. Why is this a mod?

-Pedestrian/bike only roads. Why not? This is a big feature in modern urban planning, specially in europe. CO could implement some that look nice, don't turn into dirt roads when you zoom out.

-Quick intuitive speed limit changer OR include a few new road types so you can have rural highways and such.

It's nuts that I need to combine 3 traffic mods together to do this, all with their own stupid interfaces. I don't mind traffic++ 's interface but it's a bit over fiddly for other things. But it doesn' t let you turn traffic lights off, for that you have to use traffic manager, which has a whole ton of features and it's own menu, of which I only ever click one tool. Then another separate mod to place crosswalks.

Oh then I need to use no-pillars mod in order to build nice looking bridges because the default game's collision detection for pillars and road elements is way too sensitive.
Then I have to use that sharp angles mod, which nicely overlaps on top of no-pillars interface, and use hot-keys to turn on and off "road anarchy" (which works similar to no pillars but not quite), "bending" and "segment snap". The vanilla game snaps to roads in far too big of a radius so you need a mod to turn it off when doing fiddly road work. Also the minimum angles for intersections in the game is ridiculous and looks specially horrible for railways, why do I need a mod for this? The vanilla game should allow these super tiny angle intersections for nice looking highway ramps and railway turnouts. Why do I need a mod to turn snapping off? There should just be a key I hold down.

Adding this poo poo to the game wouldn't make it more complex, they're just tools users can ignore or not.

Also why the gently caress do I need a mod to prevent transit vehicles from bunching up? Why isn't this default behavior? Why do I need a mod to set exactly how many transit vehicles are on a line? Not having control over that doesn't make the system more "simple" it makes it more frustrating. New players don't get why their one bus line has too many buses while the other has not enough. It's dumb, it's not simple it's confusingly restrictive.

I have suddenly realized that Skylines is secretly a Bethesda game. :v:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I think it would be good to have something like streets in SC4, which were low capacity suburban roads without traffic lights.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Metrication posted:

I think it would be good to have something like streets in SC4, which were low capacity suburban roads without traffic lights.

You already have those. It's the 2-lane roads.

What's really the problem, is that Skylines doesn't have any 2-lane higher capacity/speed roads. E.g. a 2-lane road with wider lanes, no on-street parking, and 60 km/h speed limit. Or with even wider lanes and no sidewalk or zoning attachment, with 80 km/h speed limit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

An epochal city builder would be great, but a big challenge would be keeping issues of scale in check. You'd need some plausible and reasonable way to keep a medieval city limited to, say, 20,000 for anything but the greatest of metropolises, with explosions in the Industrial Age and essentially limitless growth as you reach the modern era and move into the near future.

Maybe some kind of efficiency stat for buildings? So your pre-industrial water pumps are poo poo and it's prohibitively expensive to plant them, then you get better ones and a reservoir building, and then you move onto water towers and pumps like the ones we have in CS, which can supply vastly more people for the same cost, or something like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nielsm posted:

You already have those. It's the 2-lane roads.

What's really the problem, is that Skylines doesn't have any 2-lane higher capacity/speed roads. E.g. a 2-lane road with wider lanes, no on-street parking, and 60 km/h speed limit. Or with even wider lanes and no sidewalk or zoning attachment, with 80 km/h speed limit.
Well there's mirrored ramps, but by the time you are messing around with mirrored throughways might as well make it a highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

An epochal city builder would be great, but a big challenge would be keeping issues of scale in check. You'd need some plausible and reasonable way to keep a medieval city limited to, say, 20,000 for anything but the greatest of metropolises, with explosions in the Industrial Age and essentially limitless growth as you reach the modern era and move into the near future.

Maybe some kind of efficiency stat for buildings? So your pre-industrial water pumps are poo poo and it's prohibitively expensive to plant them, then you get better ones and a reservoir building, and then you move onto water towers and pumps like the ones we have in CS, which can supply vastly more people for the same cost, or something like that.

Something like that yes! Transportation options and available professions should also set a natural limit to city growth.