Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

George Lucas made really good Star Wars movies. Disney is seemingly incapable of making a bad movie and TFA was really great. Overall, I've liked just about anything Star Wars that I've seen so far.

Just starting the Clone Wars show to see what its all about and it too is actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I thought Gorege Lucas was a terrible sellout shill before he made the prequels v:shobon:v

e: loving internet nerds can't understand saying someone is creatively bankrupt =/= saying they are a bad person.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 10, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

The rabid hatred of George Lucas as a human being is pretty absurd, but so is the crazy adverse reaction towards anything Disney in Camp CineD. The lesson here is that terribly annoying and awkward people exist on all sides.

George Lucas used his wealth and connections to force the construction of low-income housing in his neighborhood, over the objections of his neighbors. With that act he did more good than I will ever do and trolled the poo poo out of a bunch of rich assholes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neurolimal posted:

The rabid hatred of George Lucas as a human being is pretty absurd, but so is the crazy adverse reaction towards anything Disney in Camp CineD. The lesson here is that terribly annoying and awkward people exist on all sides.

Except the second thing never happened.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

HoboMan posted:

Unironically comparing Gorge Lucas to Mozart?
(also the "it made a lot of money = it was good" fallacy)

There's no way the people defending the prequels are not trolling.

You must be skimming the thread. I brought up profit because that would be a reason to rein somebody in -- some films are made primarily in order to make a profit. The prequels did, so Lucas didn't need to be reined in for the sake of the box office. As for comparing Lucas to Mozart, Mozart was the first guy I could think of accused of artistic excess ("too many notes"). Thanks for half-reading I guess!

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

You're welcome

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

What annoys me a lot is that not only do the prequels have to be terrible, a lot of nerds have to take it ten steps further and say George Lucas is terrible and always was, every bad thing was his fault, and every good thing was either luck or some other person saving his rear end. It's ridiculous.

It's crazy how that attitude has spread like a virus across the internet. The second any piece of media betrays someone's expectations, they begin frantically seeking out any evidence they can find to construct a George Lucas narrative, removing credit from the individuals that "betrayed" them and shifting it entirely to anybody they can fit into the Marcia Lucas/Gary Curtz/etc roles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which some regular folks get interviewed after watching The Empire Strikes Back:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Way to spoil the ending, Detective Briscoe!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The hate that the Star Wars prequels get from Star Wars fans is far out of proportion to the actual problems with the films, which are pretty minor anyway. They were, however, misunderstood, and maybe it's worse to be misunderstood than hated.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, what is it with white people and broccoli? Y'all just aren't preparing it right 'cuz broccoli is amazing. :anime:

Scrree posted:

The Red Letter Media reviews are great examples of this. Plinkett goes into great detail about how the relationship between Anakin and Obi'Wan is an example of terrible writing because if they're supposed to be close friends with a strong student/mentor bond, then it's completely missing from the text/dialogue/plot of the film! The idea that Anakin and Obi'Wan were not 'supposed' to have a great friendship, and the films totally support their mutual antagonism (that's why they end the series trying to kill each other), is not brought into consideration at all.
Well, supposing that Anakin and Obi-Wan were clearly intended to have an awful relationship in the prequels (and ANH Obi-Wan's line about how Anakin was such a good friend back then was just him lying his old man rear end off)...what, then, is supposed to be the draw, here? Part of the elemental tragedy of Darth Vader was that he was, according to the OT, a Good Guy before he fell to the dark side; part of the tragedy was that he and Obi-Wan were genuinely friends. But what is the appeal, the engagement factor, of watching two people who pretty much start off resenting each other for vaguely-defined reasons continue to resent each other for vaguely-defined reasons through a bunch of films? Isn't it a more powerful story for genuine good friends to become mortal enemies, instead of bad friends just getting worse about it?

It's part of the problem of depicting Anakin as a resentful, contrarian teenager in Episode II at all. Of course this angry creepy boy turns evil. Why wouldn't he? But it's not particularly moving or meaningful, not as much as if he were a genuinely noble and kindhearted boy (which he was, in Episode I, and then just wasn't in Episode II for some reason) who was led to darkness by events out of anyone's control.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

It's crazy how that attitude has spread like a virus across the internet. The second any piece of media betrays someone's expectations, they begin frantically seeking out any evidence they can find to construct a George Lucas narrative, removing credit from the individuals that "betrayed" them and shifting it entirely to anybody they can fit into the Marcia Lucas/Gary Curtz/etc roles.
You could say that the Internet makes you stupid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BrianWilly posted:

Man, what is it with white people and broccoli? Y'all just aren't preparing it right 'cuz broccoli is amazing. :anime:

You don't even need to prepare it, broccoli is delicious raw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Serf posted:

George Lucas made really good Star Wars movies. Disney is seemingly incapable of making a bad movie and TFA was really great. Overall, I've liked just about anything Star Wars that I've seen so far.

Just starting the Clone Wars show to see what its all about and it too is actually pretty good.

This show is awesome in quite a few ways. I'm surprised at how effective it is at creating an air of danger, there are a lot of episodes where Anakin/etc. save the day on some planet but the result is that planet is now involved in the war and its people will probably be some combination of enlisted/enslaved/killed. It does a really effective job of having that morally grey outcome to stuff without the excessive dialogue of Attack of the Clones itself.

I think in a way it being a kid's show forced Lucase/etc. to step up their game (he was heavily involved in it IIRC). Each episode is 22 minutes long so they needed to have stuff getting done. So you get the same basic idea as Episode II, political machinations come to a head so the Clone Wars and crazy Jedi adventures on strange worlds happen, but the craftsmanship is superior because they use a lot of visual storytelling and less clunky dialogue due to the constraints of the medium. Like in that show you learn Anakin and Padme are an item and sleeping together in like two seconds and it's more believable, the action and how the characters use the force is more consistent, Anakin is much better written as this driven guy trying to do what's right and slowly conflicting more and more with how Obi-Wan/the council rolls. There's even some decent scoring for some episodes that could hold up in one of the movies. I's really awesome and I wish Episode II itself was as effective.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

BrianWilly posted:

Well, supposing that Anakin and Obi-Wan were clearly intended to have an awful relationship in the prequels (and ANH Obi-Wan's line about how Anakin was such a good friend back then was just him lying his old man rear end off)...what, then, is supposed to be the draw, here? Part of the elemental tragedy of Darth Vader was that he was, according to the OT, a Good Guy before he fell to the dark side; part of the tragedy was that he and Obi-Wan were genuinely friends. But what is the appeal, the engagement factor, of watching two people who pretty much start off resenting each other for vaguely-defined reasons continue to resent each other for vaguely-defined reasons through a bunch of films? Isn't it a more powerful story for genuine good friends to become mortal enemies, instead of bad friends just getting worse about it?

It's part of the problem of depicting Anakin as a resentful, contrarian teenager in Episode II at all. Of course this angry creepy boy turns evil. Why wouldn't he? But it's not particularly moving or meaningful, not as much as if he were a genuinely noble and kindhearted boy (which he was, in Episode I, and then just wasn't in Episode II for some reason) who was led to darkness by events out of anyone's control.

Brocolli does own.

Obi-Wan in the OT wants to remember the genuine friendship part of his relationship with Anakin because its better than remembering, say, him lying on the volcano planet burning up as Obi-Wan cried out his despair. That's why Obi-Wan lied and separated Anakin into two people when he was telling the story to Luke.

Part of the problem with making prequels to Star Wars was always going to be that viewers generally already knew the basic story. But Lucas found ways of adding wrinkles and subversions to what we thought we knew. When I first saw RotS I thought it was dumb that the films all build to the point where Anakin turns to the dark side but the moment when he actual does it still seems somewhat sudden and unexplained. Now I realize that's because his character arc isn't about a good person being tempted to evil, and evil eventually winning. He has these bad traits (naive immaturity, lust for power, arrogance, self-absorption) in him all along, and based on those traits he just reacts to the opportunities that present themselves. The Republic smoothly transitions into the Empire because its already corrupt and/or broken, and same for Anakin.

That Obi-Wan later remembers him differently isn't bad writing, its nuance, and a big part of the story- all the Jedi know there's something off about him but they never really see it, not before its too late and not even after.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 10, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except the second thing never happened.

Apparently not liking the MCU makes you a rabid Disney hater.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

I haven't seen a shred of evidence for this, but please feel free to post quotes and enlighten me.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
It is ok to think that george Lucas is a really cool dude and still think the prequels are garbage.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Disney made a perfectly decent movie. Force Awakens just has the worst editing in the series, by a mile - which is unquestionably the result of studio meddling. JJ Abrams didn't decide to slash all the alien characters.

Chickenfrogman posted:

It is ok to think that george Lucas is a really cool dude and still think the prequels are garbage.

It is ok, but also incorrect.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Brocolli does own.

Obi-Wan in the OT wants to remember the genuine friendship part of his relationship with Anakin because its better than remembering, say, him lying on the volcano planet burning up as Obi-Wan cried out his despair. That's why Obi-Wan lied and separated Anakin into two people when he was telling the story to Luke.

Part of the problem with making prequels to Star Wars was always going to be that viewers generally already knew the basic story. But Lucas found ways of adding wrinkles and subversions to what we thought we knew. When I first saw RotS I thought it was dumb that the films all build to the point where Anakin turns to the dark side but the moment when he actual does it still seems somewhat sudden and unexplained. Now I realize that's because his character arc isn't about a good person being tempted to evil, and evil eventually winning. He has these bad traits (naive immaturity, lust for power, arrogance, self-absorption) in him all along, and based on those traits he just reacts to the opportunities that present themselves. The Republic smoothly transitions into the Empire because its already corrupt and/or broken, and same for Anakin.

That Obi-Wan later remembers him differently isn't bad writing, its nuance, and a big part of the story- all the Jedi know there's something off about him but they never really see it, not before its too late and not even after.

Yeah. Guys, having a complex relationship with people is not the same as lying about being friends or whatever: in real life friendships often have problems. Why is this so hard to understand?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Squinty posted:

Then shouldn't they be waving their swords around at 1000 mph to deflect the constant barrage of random lasers coming from all directions? They wouldn't last 5 seconds in a game of squash. Their actions don't match the environment.

they are jedi they know which shots to deflect and which do not need to be deflected. they don't need to struggle and block 500 shots if only 5 of them were ever going to hit.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah. Guys, having a complex relationship with people is not the same as lying about being friends or whatever: in real life friendships often have problems. Why is this so hard to understand?

They're 'spergs, they have never experienced friendship firsthand.

e: also incapable of understanding the complete lack of emotional bond you form with any of the prequel characters.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 10, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

No, only the hated fruit of the computer machine has the dark power to Ruin Immersion.

not true a couple of the the practical effects in TFA really weirded me out for a few moments.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mainly the little glowing red eye alien that stuck it's head out of the sand and the vulture were really really hokey. Like the movie just wanted to scream "SEE!? We're using puppets! Just like you want!"

Most of the other practical aliens looked pretty good, and so did the cgi aliens.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's the Bioware fan in me but I can't pretend not to be a little disappointed that so much of the Resistance was populated by humans.

Anyway, if Obi-Wan's line about Anakin in ANH was heartfelt and genuine, then he's looking back at at their relationship and his own behavior with seriously rose-tinted lenses. Which, I agree, can be an interesting and nuanced character trait, but let's be clear right off the bat that Obi-Wan and Anakin weren't friends. They can call themselves that as much as they like, and we're told all about the great adventures they've had and all the rapport they shared, but what the films objectively show is Obi-Wan being constantly irritated at everything Anakin does, berating him in public in front of influential officials but also behind his back with the other Jedi. It's not a friendly sort of condescension either, since Anakin vents to Padme all his resentment and frustrations about the way Obi-Wan treats him. They don't share any interests, they don't associate with each other outside of work, and whatever affection they have for each other is strained and toxic and this is the way they act for an entire film. Theirs was a "complex relationship" in the same way that Oliver Twist and Mr. Bumble had a "complex relationship."

Now, Episode III does course-adjust this a bit. We are actually shown Anakin and Obi-Wan working on a mission together, as equals, and their constant back-and-forth sniping comes across a little more like actual banter and affectionate ribbing. But as soon as the intro mission ends, we're right back to that icy aseptic dynamic where Obi-Wan seems predisposed to disapprove of anything his former student does, while Anakin can think of 10000 things he'd rather be doing than hanging out with this guy. And then they're completely separated until the film tries to convince us of how sad it is that they're gonna try to kill each other 'cuz of that brotherly bond or whatever.

But it's not sad. If this is the way that the film is going to portray their relationship, as something so tenuous and threadbare, then it's not sad or epic or remarkable at all that two characters that seemed mutually-antagonistic for all but maybe ten minutes of their screentime together ended up fighting one another. I'd compare it to the Captain America: Civil War trailer that came out; it wants us to feel wistful that Steve and Tony are fighting, but why would we be? They aren't friends. One of the most prominent responses to that trailer has been meme-like mockery at Tony's claim that he was also Steve's friend because they've been depicted as vaguely-tolerant of each other at best, and audiences notice that poo poo.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think you're confused; the best Star Wars film is Attack Of The Clones, which did not make the most money.

Do you have a post on why you this is the case, I want something long, interesting and correct to read.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They were friends. Maybe not super best friends forever, but The Clone Wars makes it pretty clear they pretty drat friendly, it's too bad none of that really made it into the movies.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Just noticed KOTOR is available on android??? My wallet...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Disney made a perfectly decent movie. Force Awakens just has the worst editing in the series, by a mile - which is unquestionably the result of studio meddling. JJ Abrams didn't decide to slash all the alien characters.

You can attribute the editing to a bloated script as much as anything else, I feel. They had to figure out a way to cram all that poo poo in there somehow.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

corn in the fridge posted:

That sounds like an awful experience for everyone involved.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

That sounds like an awful experience for everyone involved.

It's not like it's an action game. There's a lot of pausing and pressing buttons.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It's not like it's an action game. There's a lot of pausing and pressing buttons.

I don't get how people play any games on touchscreens which aren't explicitly built for them; even FFV was god awful to control, I can't imagine how people slog through a 3D party based RPG on one

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't get how people play any games on touchscreens which aren't explicitly built for them; even FFV was god awful to control, I can't imagine how people slog through a 3D party based RPG on one

I have KOTOR on my HTC One and it's really easy to control. :shrug:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I've been playing it for a little bit now and its insanely fwiggen good???

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

They were friends. Maybe not super best friends forever, but The Clone Wars makes it pretty clear they pretty drat friendly, it's too bad none of that really made it into the movies.

ya that's the funny thing when people bring up the "Anakin and Obi-Wan weren't really supposed to be friends"-defense because then Lucas contradicts himself with The Clone Wars which DID show them like the OT suggested. In the CW you could see them as friends and equals. I mean it was not like there was never conflict between them but it was done in a way that seemed sensible between _friends_ and more importantly you really did get the feeling those two went through a lot of things together. It's too bad the movies weren't able to show us this side of their relationship, that's the biggest failure of the PT in my opinion because dramactically everything hinged on that one aspect.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I do think Obi-Wan and Anakin love each other, but Obi-Wan loves Anakin like a brother and, since he is charged with teaching, spouts Jedi dogma where he should express fraternal affection. Anakin loved Obi-Wan as a father, but their relationship was poisoned by the interaction of Anakin's insecurity and anger with Obi-Wan's crap teaching. This is all made explicit or heavily implied in Attack of the Clones, if you're specifically watching their relationship.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

I've been playing it for a little bit now and its insanely fwiggen good???

Kotor 2 has the best dialogue of any game really.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've been rewatching the movies with a cousin of mine who is in town for a week and he hasn't seen any of them. I decided that we watch them in sequential order. The first thing he immediately noticed when we transitioned from ROTS to ANH was how loving old Owen and Beru got, lmao.

On rewatch though (it's been a while since I sat down and watched the prequels), TPM and ROTS are pretty fun to watch with someone who hasn't seen the movies. But gently caress Attack of the Clones is so bad. Worse than I remember.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even in the OT their "friendship" is tainted by the fact that Anakin turned evil and murdered a bunch of Jedi and then Obi Wan lied to his son about it.

It's true "from a certain point of view" but that entire conversation is about Obi Wan trying to endear himself to Luke by talking up his cool Jedi father and how they were besties. Obviously he's not going to say, "your father and I were friends but had a relationship fraught with insecurities and jealousy" because that would defeat the entire point of the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Download it through amazon underground and it's free, assuming they are the same version.

Edit: "I just downloaded Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for #actuallyfree from @amznunderground. http://amzn.to/1T68JdF "

DARPA fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread