Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I haven't had too much of an issue grinding for relic stuff (besides the crystals). A4 groups go super fast, and additionally, usually half the people leave after killing the boss and don't roll on loot, so it's a great way to gear alternates. A3 takes a bit longer to queue and once in awhile you'll get someone terrible (there was a ninja named Imgonna Killyouall who was doing awful DPS and kept standing in the sleuces and dying). I need to unlock higher level beast tribe stuff since I only have kobolds, but overall if the goal was to get people to run older content, they did a good job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

What Vandes said and also cause the monk one is like 1.3 STR higher than the dip one.

The best thing about this relic is getting all the tank mounts though.

It's, uh, like .07 strength higher?

Unless you get your stat weights from very different places? (I usually follow along with Dervy.)

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is the old relic easy enough now to justify doing it and skipping the beginning of the new relic? I'm not near the point where I should work on the relic but I know I'll want the old one for the glamour anyway, I just don't know how much of a time investment it is vs. doing the new relic first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dromal phrenia posted:

Is the old relic easy enough now to justify doing it and skipping the beginning of the new relic? I'm not near the point where I should work on the relic but I know I'll want the old one for the glamour anyway, I just don't know how much of a time investment it is vs. doing the new relic first.

If you were about halfway done with the old one I'd say finish it. If you're starting fresh it is absolutely not worth the time/effort over the crystal collecting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dromal phrenia posted:

It depends on what stage you want to get it to. They buffed drops for everything, but it still takes a decent amount of time to get atma drops from all locations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

dromal phrenia posted:

Even after all the nerfs, the old relic chain will still take you much, much longer than just doing the atma part of the new relic. Only do the old one of you are interested in the glam.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Belzac posted:

What Vandes said and also cause the monk one is like 1.3 STR higher than the dip one.

The best thing about this relic is getting all the tank mounts though.

Do you have a full set of amazingly statted Diadem gear yet?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you want the old relic for glamour anyway, you may want to consider doing double-duty and taking that route. You can (and should) still start collecting your unidentifiable blahblahs before you get to the part of the new relic that asks for them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of glamour, is there a website that has all the gearsets to show which each one looks like? Like, this:

But for every potential set. I'm mainly thinking about Heavensward 51-59 dungeons if I want to grab any of the sets for a particular class. I'm not too particularly thrilled with the Dragoon crafted sets.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
There is still a benefit to completing an old relic beyond glamour. Assuming you want to complete a Zeta. If you work on it along side an anima weapon, you can use your zeta when it's finished as a coupon for skipping the crystal farm on a future anima weapon. Since the zeta trade ins aren't tied to specific weapon types(Ex: Trade in Excalibur and Aegis for the first White Mage step,) it could be useful for future proofing another class you might decide to level.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

FaintlyQuaint posted:

It's, uh, like .07 strength higher?

Unless you get your stat weights from very different places? (I usually follow along with Dervy.)

I just quoted Flares. No one has let me raid on monk in months :(.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Don't you have a4s 210 weapon? Why bother with relic? Or are you one of the jobs whose sub stats are better on the relic?

I always find this idea great because at least on my server the overlap between the guys who finished relic in the first week and people who are farming a4s was almost total. It's just another hardcore option.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You also find a lot more free time to actually play casual relic stuff when you only raid 1 hour a week.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I have a Bravura at Nexus state right now, but I don't think I can justify spending 400k + random stupid HQ crafting items, doing something like 12-16 dungeons, spending the Poetics for Spring Water (instead of the new relics), and 80k Serpent Seals for Ragnarok. Then getting it to Ragnarok Zeta with a billion trials. Those two steps alone are worse than gathering 18 Crystals, in my opinion.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

The Grimace posted:

I have a Bravura at Nexus state right now, but I don't think I can justify spending 400k + random stupid HQ crafting items, doing something like 12-16 dungeons, spending the Poetics for Spring Water (instead of the new relics), and 80k Serpent Seals for Ragnarok. Then getting it to Ragnarok Zeta with a billion trials. Those two steps alone are worse than gathering 18 Crystals, in my opinion.

Two things. First, 1600 poetics is not much, it's barely two tokens. Second, going from Ragnarok to Ragnarok Zeta takes maybe an hour of running unsynched Sastasha/Tam-Tara. Less if there's a bonus on one.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

kafziel posted:

Two things. First, 1600 poetics is not much, it's barely two tokens. Second, going from Ragnarok to Ragnarok Zeta takes maybe an hour of running unsynched Sastasha/Tam-Tara. Less if there's a bonus on one.

It still only skips the crystal grind, which can be done while leveling other classes as long as you have the quest for any relic's crystals in your log. Unless you're really far along into your old relic it won't be worth it, especially if you have to drop a bunch of money to do it.

You can even go back after turning in the astral/umbral and tell the guy you want to make another of the same relic and he'll let you, which you can keep in your quest log forever so that you'll always get crystals while doing any fates in ishgard.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Basically if you haven't already done the Zodiac Books, don't bother with the old Relic chain. Even then, the Alex stage can be rough, though if you spend Tomes on maps it goes pretty fast. Then it's just a matter of grinding dungeons and spending a ton of gil.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I haven't seen the FATE for the holiday event pop anywhere yet. I want my monkey hat!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Leofish posted:

I haven't seen the FATE for the holiday event pop anywhere yet. I want my monkey hat!

you have to talk to an NPC to start it, and the NPC isn't visible on the map unless you're real close.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Griz posted:

you have to talk to an NPC to start it, and the NPC isn't visible on the map unless you're real close.

If you want fast easy directions, the npc is right outside the pier in central shroud that you can get to from leaving the lavender beds.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Griz posted:

Skaw posted:

If you want fast easy directions, the npc is right outside the pier in central shroud that you can get to from leaving the lavender beds.

Aha! Thanks to both of you!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skaw posted:

In Thanalan, he's just outside Drybone southish near the little oasis refuge camp (that has a single tent and no actual refugee NPCs.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Back and still playing. Took a vacation, so I'm only level 7, but I did manage to get into the game. It seems like a fun ride. I decided to go with a Marauder so I could become Thief-y as soon as possible. I picked a cat dude in honor of the thread. Question, is there a way to display an arrow or Bat Signal or something to point me towards quests I specifically want to follow? I know you can view them on the map, but that's not as useful as it might seem when you're not very good at things. It'd be great if I could just have a little arrow around my character that points in the way I want to go.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The mini-map tracks objective locations when you're in the same zone as one. Outside of that, I can't really think of anything else besides the main map.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Worked my way up to lvl 30 & Warrior. I got the impression this will be great when I'm tanking but running around day to day having all the oddball skills from the random classes I picked up seem more useful for idle questing. This right or am I missing something?

Meanwhile CUL is at 35 because I keep getting suckered into company turn ins lol

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

LethalGeek posted:

Worked my way up to lvl 30 & Warrior. I got the impression this will be great when I'm tanking but running around day to day having all the oddball skills from the random classes I picked up seem more useful for idle questing. This right or am I missing something?

10% damage/healing boost for the job stone. It'll pay off more when you start seeing job-specific equipment.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

LethalGeek posted:

Meanwhile CUL is at 35 because I keep getting suckered into company turn ins lol

Honestly, as someone who has all 3 tanks at level 60, Warrior isn't all that terribly exciting except for all the damage they do thanks to Fell Cleave(and a few other things, but that's the main thing), which is an ability you won't get until 54 or 56 or whenever it is.

But you should still always equip the job stone just for the stat buffs if nothing else.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 10, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As you level Warrior you'll gain plenty of abilities to make up for the ones you've lost.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I also wanted to ask how cosmetics work. Can you do the thing where you get the bonus from an item, but you can look however you please like DC Universe Online? I didn't see the option for it, but I also haven't navigated the HUD to its fullest extent. Cats don't wear eyepatches.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
You can re-dye dyeable gear at level 15 and project another item's appearance onto gear once you hit level 50 once.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I also wanted to ask how cosmetics work. Can you do the thing where you get the bonus from an item, but you can look however you please like DC Universe Online? I didn't see the option for it, but I also haven't navigated the HUD to its fullest extent. Cats don't wear eyepatches.

At the very least you can turn your headhear on or off by clicking the little hat button on the character screen. It's at the bottom underneath your where you equip all your gear.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
/visor is also a command that exists. It raises or lowers the "visor" on various helmets, but is not strictly limited to heavy armor. For example, it turns the veil on/off for the AST AF hat. I believe that it also turns the eyepatch on/off for pirate hats with eyepatches, too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

/visor is also a command that exists. It raises or lowers the "visor" on various helmets, but is not strictly limited to heavy armor. For example, it turns the veil on/off for the AST AF hat. I believe that it also turns the eyepatch on/off for pirate hats with eyepatches, too.

:aaaaa:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Chairman posted:

You can re-dye dyeable gear at level 15 and project another item's appearance onto gear once you hit level 50 once.

This also extends to 'invisible' gear so you can indeed run around in your skivvies despite actually being in full plate armour.

However, there are no invisible necklaces, earrings, rings or shields.

Kagemusha
Sep 30, 2005

Don't worry! I'll fix it!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yes, there are. Not shields, I don't think, but certainly jewelry.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

This also extends to 'invisible' gear so you can indeed run around in your skivvies despite actually being in full plate armour.

http://xivdb.com/item/9293/The+Emperor%27s+New+Earrings

and etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, my bad then.

Still, XIV is actually decent at making somewhat okay looking gear. Though I do wish quest reward gear early on wasn't in the worst colours.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Yeah, a lot of the leveling gear is decidedly not terrible. Somewhat boring and repetitive at times, but it's not awful. Once you do the quest to unlock dyes, the colour problem goes away for a handful of gil each time. The only things I really don't like are the shields that are just a few planks of wood nailed together.

Also, you can get some really nice looking stuff from the first dungeon, and that's pretty cool.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Visor has tons of little applications, like swiveling the monocle on the SCH Eso top hat or even hiding the Rudolf nose on the holiday reindeer antler set. More common than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Question, is there a way to display an arrow or Bat Signal or something to point me towards quests I specifically want to follow?

No, and thank loving god for it. That's one of the worst aspects of modern game design. "Well, let's assume the player is an idiot and can't read or navigate."

• Locked thread