Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Kaubocks posted:

This has been bugging me for a while and maybe you can answer this for me since you're more knowledgeable about Borderlands than I am:

how come Jack doesn't know how to shut down his big rear end space laser but Moxxi does

Well, I'm assuming Jack got his promotion (to the chagrin of the highers up) when his little gamble on opening the first vault paid off and Hyperion got access to a nice little alien laser eye thingy. He still wasn't too trusted, as the Pre-Sequel has us believing.

As for Moxxi, the woman's probably been on planet for a long time. She's way smarter than we give her credit for, not to mention having the ingrained Hodunk mechanical aptitude. Just bear in mind Moxxi was trying to sabotage Jack's laser, not help him, so her solution for "shutting down" the laser was bound to have collateral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

I now have the hilarious visual of the kidnapper being Sasha riding on Vaughn's shoulders

Oh yeah i changed my opinion on Masked Stranger being August.
Now i think it's probably Grease Face. Remember that guy? No? The dude with the cleaver, selling like, burning rats or something? Yeah, he got a name intro and everything. He seems "subdued" enough (and important enough thanks to his intro) to be in that suit.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Trusting Jack would be a very very bad idea, so let's Trust Jack! Because it wouldn't be Borderlands without bad ideas.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Fiona's had our back. She's a dick, but she's had our back. We know from the way the story is set up that we both make it through this, so that doesn't factor in. What does interest me is that Rhys' eye isn't the blue Sharingan dealie in the "present" which makes me hesitant to trust Jack. Beyond that, I don't think it makes practical sense to let Jack even deeper into our minds. I say we Trust Fiona at least until we're given a reason not to. Handsome Jack is a dick and hasn't bothered to hide that from us. If we weren't his lifeboat, he'd shiv us in a second. I totally believe his plan has no regard for Sasha or Vaughn.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Trust Fiona.

She saved Rhys' boot for him. She didn't have to do it. She had no reason to believe Rhys and Vaughn survived.

But she saved him that boot, just in case he made it.

That, my friends, is someone you can trust.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So far, we're at 29 votes to Trust Fiona, and 26 votes to Trust Jack.

There's also this vote:

Krysmphoenix posted:

Nothing against you Fiona, but Holy poo poo do not trust Jack
Which I think is saying to trust Fiona, but isn't 100% clear?

And this vote:

Touraxus posted:

Trust Jack.
Which isn't bolded! But probably should be counted as a vote for Jack

(And for anyone else tallying them up, don't forget to catch this vote from Cangelosi that you'll miss if you just try to Ctrl+F "Trust Jack")

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Which I think is saying to trust Fiona, but isn't 100% clear?

The binary nature of this question means I'm voting to trust Fiona.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Jack already told us a lie. We can't trust someone like that.

Trust Fiona, because she at least gave us our shoe when we asked for it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

IAmTheRad posted:

Jack already told us a lie. We can't trust someone like that.

Trust Fiona, because she at least gave us our shoe when we asked for it.

Not that I want to go with Jack, but if lies are your reason, hoo boy are you forgetting a bunch about Fiona

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fiona lying is what got us into this whole mess.

Fiona is literally a professional liar.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but one of these liars is literally in Rhys's head and has been shown to have partial control over him at times. He kinda gets held to higher standards because of it.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Waffleman_ posted:

Who, right now, wants exactly what we want: to get out of here alive, without anyone getting killed. Which means that she has incentive to tell lies that will benefit us. Whereas Jack has already admitted that his ideas will probably get someone killed. Maybe Sasha, maybe Vaughn, maybe both.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you wanna make an omelet, you gotta kill a few people.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So far the entire story of borderlands 2 and (especially) pre-sequel is that pissing jack off just makes him hurt you more cruelly. I mean, if you want to take that risk feel free but Rhys is already one of the damned. We're just deciding how damned he is.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Trust Jack, and stay in the pattern of making everything go downhill!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Trust Jack, I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong with this course of action :v:.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like that pretty much every vote is either "trust Fiona because trusting Jack is a terrible idea" or "trust Jack because trusting Jack is a terrible idea".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm on the side of "trust Jack because he's the worst of two evils".

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Trust Jack because while it is a terrible idea, it is an amusing terrible idea.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

whowhatwhere posted:

So far the entire story of borderlands 2 and (especially) pre-sequel is that pissing jack off just makes him hurt you more cruelly. I mean, if you want to take that risk feel free but Rhys is already one of the damned. We're just deciding how damned he is.

Alright, you sold me. Trust Jack because Rhys is already hosed in that regard anyway, might as well make it as spectacular as possible.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kaubocks posted:

I like that pretty much every vote is either "trust Fiona because trusting Jack is a terrible idea" or "trust Jack because trusting Jack is a terrible idea".
I'm in the camp of "Trust Jack because it seems like the sort of terrible idea Rhys might make right now"

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

geonetix posted:

Trust Jack, and stay in the pattern of making everything go downhill!

But that breaks the other pattern we've been in, which is sticking together with each other. We chose to go to... whatever the town is called, where Fiona was, so we could stick together as a team. We chose to trust Vaughn. So why break that pattern? I mean, things are going to go downhill no matter what... but I want to see what happens when we stick to the pattern we've been on so far, rather than changing horses mid-stream. Trusting Fiona is the pattern we've been on; trusting Jack is changing horses mid-stream.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

People, people, please. I feel that there has been some wildly misplaced doubt thrown at our closest ally. Tell me please tell me, who was it that swindled us out of a veritable fortune with insidious lies and fabrications? Not Jack. Who ruined our very livelihood and left us stranded on a planet of death and chaos? Not Jack. Who held us at gunpoint debating whether or not to leave our bullet-ridden corpse in some dark alley? Not Jack. Who left us to die in the desert with barely a thought about our well-being? Not Jack. But... BUT! Who single-handily saved us from our blood-thirsty rival? Jack. Who has been an inspiration and a motivation to us for our entire lives? Jack. Who gave us the morel support to stand up to said rival and insult his lovely hair? Jack. Who has a real solid plan to prevent the very possible death of our lifelong friend? Jack. And finally, who are we going to trust in our hour of need? That's right Jack. He's got our back. Also our arm, but details.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Trust Fiona

Jack may or may not have already lied to us with regard to the Wallethead thing, since Vasquez absolutely showed no signs of recognition of the nickname allegedly given to him by the most important figure in his life.

Also, even if you think that the control can be reverted, there's few things scarier than the idea of watching your body do horrific things without your express control, and a relatively clean death by either a gun-toting robot or a grenade is not one of them. There's no reward that could justify that kind of risk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

Jack may or may not have already lied to us with regard to the Wallethead thing, since Vasquez absolutely showed no signs of recognition of the nickname allegedly given to him by the most important figure in his life.
Oh? He seemed pretty drat shocked to me.

zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Trust Fiona

Jack might hurt loader bot with control over those robots! :ohdear: We can't let that happen.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

whowhatwhere posted:

Yup, Jack merely wanted to kill you in Borderlands 2, but when Angel went down, it became 100% personal and he flew off the deep end and became utterly deranged.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Trust Fiona

For christshake, lets not trust the man with a kill count in the millions, possibly billions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Klaus88 posted:

Trust Fiona

For christshake, lets not trust the man with a kill count in the millions, possibly billions.

Stands to reason we can trust him with murder, then. :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kaubocks posted:

Trust Jack because he does terrible things to people who stand against him and he has control of Rhys' robo arm either way.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

For God's sake, Trust Fiona

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I like the fact that at the same time Panzer's LP was having it's closest to date binary vote so too was this one.

Life Is Strange ultimately ended the way I wanted, this one though is making me video game nervous.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Tax Refund posted:

Trusting Fiona is the pattern we've been on; trusting Jack is changing horses mid-stream.

Well, okay. Sure. However, disregarding consistency and in an half assed attempt to justify my choice, he's under a lot of stress right now and somebody Rhys is obsessed with greatly offers him *really* cool hacking stuff!

It will undoubtably go sideways either choice, but likely the most downhilliest if we trust jack.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

geonetix posted:

It will undoubtably go sideways either choice, but likely the most downhilliest if we trust jack.
Another reason to go with him. It'll end in a fuckup either way, but this one should be funny.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

anilEhilated posted:

Another reason to go with him. It'll end in a fuckup either way, but this one should be funny.

Trust Fiona because Jack is a crazy person with crazy person ideas and whatever his plan is probably won't help us once we leave this area while Fiona's will likely take us a little further.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fwoderwick posted:

Life Is Strange ultimately ended the way I wanted, this one though is making me video game nervous.

Both options end in an amazing sequence here.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Trust Jack because Rhys is the kinda guy who makes poor life choices.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Trust Jack, because, whatever happens, there's literally no way for Vasquez and co. to see it coming.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Everyone makes great points here, and I am now torn between the funny option or the friends option. On the one hand, the Jack option is guaranteed to be full of bloody mayhem, and I haven't seen it yet. On the other hand, Rhys has already seen that Jack has an in with regards to his cybernetics, and no matter what Fiona has in mind, it won't involve possibly losing control over himself. Unless he gets shot by robots... hmm...

Trust Fiona. I flipped a coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Trust Fiona, because I'm curious what her plan is.

• Locked thread