Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Brightman posted:

Well the short of it is people are crazy and many more people came in to tell stories. Probably best to find them and click the ? to get their posts and read through them at your leisure skipping the discussion and that'll serve as "cliff notes" probably.

For instance Ugly Noodle's Posts altogether are only 3 pages.

Sad Rhino's posts are also 3 pages, which recount the tale of a girl in law school who thought she was married to Sai Baba.

Sir Prancelot's posts on a weirdo named Chris.

JohnOfOrdo3's posts about being manipulated and emotionally abused by some psycho name Kry.

I'm probably missing at least 4 or 5 other "good" ones. I recall a girl who thought she was a Disney Princess, some rear end in a top hat guy that was a reincarnation of a god (actually that was recentish...Bubble Princess's posts), and stuff like otherkin, fairy torture fetishes, a kid that thought he was a 1970s businessman named Meyers, and more and worse.

Fake edit: Hibiscus's posts telling the tale of the mystic land of Aristasia.

Queen of Knights posts about the aforementioned Disney Princess girl.

Edit2: Found the Meyers posts, starts here.

VV :agreed: Meyers was what I kept thinking of when I was watching that. (bleh, forgot that "Meyers" was actually 22)

Thank you good sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Meyers was some of the best stuff. Did Fascinator's 70s historian friend ever interview the guy?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

CrotchDropJeans posted:

My god, what a living hell! To remain real, Michael must go against his very nature and spend hours sitting in a pile of garbage with the three most socially inept people I've ever seen before. I bet he just sits there imagining nice things, like jogging on the beach or attending a neighborhood barbecue festival, while the other yammer on about whose character would beat the others in a katana fight.

And the worst/best part is that this could actually make for an interesting story. A character is imagined into reality by a goony manchild, and has to feed the delusions of their "creator" in order to maintain their existence. Could make a decent dark comedy. Similar premises about imaginary characters intersecting with reality have been used to tell interesting stories before. Probably all better than whatever Fight Club-derivative trash Jordan's trying to write.

Brightman posted:

Well the short of it is people are crazy and many more people came in to tell stories.

Two other really good sagas that were missing from the above summary:

Lt. Marmalade's posts about Alan, the past lives remembering, demon battling, McDonalds attending wonder man

Antivehicular's stories about Calliope, and eventually Internet Favorite, Rotty

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

I forgot about those two and/or couldn't find them for whatever reason. There's a few others I looked for but couldn't remember who posted them or if they might've been in another thread even. Like I know this thread spawned an Otherkin thread of some sort by a goon that was some weird pseudo alien dragon otherkin (edit: it was Rorac), and there was someone whose brother(?) was into some messed up fairy related fantasies (edit: found it). The longer sagas were easier to find from randomly flipping through pages in this 4 year old thread.

Edit2: A few more that got overlooked.

la_fausse_tortue's posts about Denise, they're a mutual friend of UglyNoodles and the thread's inspiration.
Snapdragon750's posts about their friend who's married to Piccolo from DBZ

Brightman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Brightman posted:

I forgot about those two and/or couldn't find them for whatever reason. There's a few others I looked for but couldn't remember who posted them or if they might've been in another thread even. Like I know this thread spawned an Otherkin thread of some sort by a goon that was some weird pseudo alien dragon otherkin (edit: it was Rorac

Oh man, that thread. See, when someone claims to have been a dragon in another life or whatever, you don't expect that dragon to be the size of a house cat and essentially his planet's equivalent of a small bird of prey that wound up eaten by a bigger carnivore. Truly the Gooniest Otherkin.

There was another spin-off thread about a Goon claiming to be a soul bond that was much more haunting and sad. They were "Headmates" with an ancient demon, but the demon was more like an internalized bully, mocking it's host and putting them down all the time. Poor kid really needed to talk to a doctor. :ohdear:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Nine of Eight posted:

I've actually encountered Bibeau once or twice in real life. At the time, something seemed off about him, but now... :gonk:

It's like if the Dean escaped into the real world.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a place to find uglynoodle's original art?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deified Data posted:

Is there a place to find uglynoodle's original art?

Most of it shows up if you put a page's url into archive.org and click the earliest date.

E.g. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 take that and put it into archive.org
Or sometimes it's http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 because that format was archived and the other wasn't. Simply change the pagenumber to the one you want to see it on and paste.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Gonna do that and rehost those for posterity's sake...here:

Page 1:

Page 3:

Page 5:

Pages 8,10-11:

:smith: Dammit...

Page 12...was archived after the image was lost...probably the rest after that too :smith:

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Due to my goldfish-like memory I forgot this thread. I owe you entertainment at my expense. I promise I will write what happened when Shelley took me to a furry convention before the end of this week. :toxx:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haskell9 posted:

Due to my goldfish-like memory I forgot this thread. I owe you entertainment at my expense. I promise I will write what happened when Shelley took me to a furry convention before the end of this week. :toxx:
:cheer:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Mods, notice that post. I will provide entertainment at my expense to this amazing thread either by blocking out time and writing or eating a ban for being a dumbass

Edited: should be home from the airport in ~1-2 hours and writan thing

Haskell9 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 10, 2016

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Haskell9 posted:

I'm going to add an aside here to forestall some hyper-pc weenie posting stupid crap like 'oh you were so traumatized by seeing those awful gaaayyys' or trying to report me for 'homophobia' for the upcoming post. Younger goons might not be aware of how far the gay rights movement has come, even compared to times as recent as ~20 years ago when the anecdote took place. Something like this being publicly posted/broadcast would have caused an incredible uproar anywhere outside a gay stronghold like San Francisco. GLBT people are much more likely to come out now and they are much more visible in the more enlightened areas of the country.

At the time I was a LegoRobot-esque douchey outspoken atheist who was contemptuous of religious restrictions on sexuality (and I'd tell you aaallll about it, even if you didn't ask! :rolleyes:) but I had never so much as met an openly gay person. They were like unicorns: OK to exist in the abstract but unseen. It added an extra bit of surprise to, well, you'll see.... :catstare:

I'm starting this off with a self-quote. P.C. weenies, you have been warned.

Like I posted previously her name was Shelley. She and I met in a comic book store because we're both dorks. She was short and cute and had a mellow, friendly personality. She roomed with three other ordinary-seeming girls in a clean house, had a stable job and her own car, and nice parents who lived close by. The only thing remotely odd about her was on our first official date she told me that she was a furry, which she explained as being like a trekkie, but for the idea of anthropomorphism in fiction. I had never heard of that. Her 'furryness' mostly extended to drawing cat people in various states of undress as a hobby, which while a little strange was harmless enough, especially considering what a cool person she seemed to be overall.

We got along great because our interests aligned and she was even more argument-averse than I am. Seriously, nothing bothered this girl; dumb things I did that pissed off previous and later girlfriends she serenely waved away as inconsequential when I tried to apologize. Being prone to act without thinking is one of my biggest flaws so I considered myself lucky to be dating someone with such a zen-like tolerance for my antics.

Two months into our relationship though something started to bug me. I noticed that while she and I were together often and we hung out with my friends a lot, we hardly ever saw hers, and then only a select few and never in her house. I knew she had more because she would mention them and receive answering machine messages, but they were like ghosts. It gave me the feeling that she was embarrassed by me or something and I plainly asked her if that was the case.

Oh no, not at all! She apologized for giving that impression and explained that most of her friends were furries like she was and a number of them wanted to date her but she just couldn't because picking one of them would make the others sad, so she always dated outside the fandom and kept those parts of her life separate. I thought it was a little hypersensitive of her and that if her friends were adults they ought to be able to deal with someone they like dating someone else they know, but it scored me a great girlfriend so hey whatever.

On the other hand I was curious about these people. My mental picture of the 'furry fandom' was of a bohemian art community centered around an odd theme. I had plenty of artsy friends and didn't see why I couldn't hang out with hers, so I constantly cajoled her to let me meet them, promising not to make fun of their ironic T-shirts and berets. She always refused, telling me that her boyfriends hanging out with her furry friends never ended well. I actually took a little offense at that because while I'm now a bitter, bilious shell of a man, back then I thought of myself as a laid back kind of dude who could get along with anyone, even religious sheep if they didn't bring it up around me god I was terrible.

What Shelley hated more than anything was hurting people's feelings, so that factor plus my persistence wore her down into inviting me along on a road trip to attend what I assumed was an art conference. Galleries of animal-people pictures could be fun to look at and I've always thought that werewolves are badass so maybe I could find something cool to put on a wall. I didn't have anything to do with arranging things other than providing the station wagon - feel free to laugh - we and two of her friends were going to take to the con, so I can't explain why we were going to share the room we chipped in for with a different pair of her friends. I was doing my best to be as chill as possible though so I didn't question it.

Meeting our furry ridemates and thumbing through the scrapbook of polaroids one of them had taken at previous events revised my estimation of the fandom from bohemian to Turbo-Nerd. This wasn't a problem; my parents used to take my brothers and I to sci fi conventions in the '70s and I played D&D in high school and college so I was already a fish in those waters. The drive down the coast was uneventful and filled with nerd banter, and my first impression upon arrival was with one exception exactly what I expected from a fan convention - stands with people selling stuff, panels and entertainment at certain times, the occasional whiff of b.o., etc.

The exception was there were a number of people walking around dressed in weird sports mascot costumes. These were 'fursuits' I was told, and each expressed the animal person the furry in question wanted to be. I found it pretty bizarre but still just a harmless extension of Shelley's drawings. The one that stood out most was an enormously fat female dog chaperoned by a reed-thin older man who looked like a completely hairless version of Riff Raff from Rocky Horror. The dog was ridiculously huge; I'm 6"1' and had to look up to meet her costume's eyes. I mentally estimated her to be somewhere north of 400 pounds even if a part of her volume was foam rubber.

They knew Shelley and she introduced them to me as a couple, followed by some friendly banter. By which I mean banter with Riff Raff - none of the people in costumes including Mrs. Dog ever spoke. We parted ways and moved on, which I encouraged a little extra quickly because the old guy smelled pretty bad and liked to close-talk. Regardless I was feeling smug about Shelley's fears proving groundless, which only increased when we eventually went out for drinks with our roommates, ridemates and a couple other furry people. I was actually having a decent time and was wondering what kind of assholes she had been dating before me.

We turned in around 9:30 because it had been a seriously long day. Our roommates planned to stay out with con people until after midnight so we had the room to ourselves. I had sore feet from walking in new shoes so I collapsed on our bed and Shelley followed suit, draping herself on me like she liked to. (Like.. a cat... I'm seriously just now making that connection) She started fiddling with her camera and I put my hands behind my head and vegged out, idly wondering if I could get something going while we were alone.

After about 10 minutes of comfortable silence the door burst open without warning. Riff Raff and his humungo wife strolled in like they owned the place while I laid there somewhat stunned. The doors required a keycard and locked automatically so how the hell did they get in? Riff Raff asked if we minded if they changed. Shelley gave a noncommittal 'nah' before I could say anything and the two of them started taking off Mrs. Raff's fursuit, starting with the head. Puzzlement grew into total confusion when 'Mrs. Raff' turned out to have a scraggly goatee and short, lank hair plastered greasily to his head. What?? They were introduced as a couple but they're both men??

By the time my neurons started firing again and I realized OH THEY'RE GAY the suit was mostly off and a wall of indescribable body funk hit my face like a sledge hammer. A gutter bum who bathes by scrubbing himself with ripe durians. A skunk's corpse liquefying in a plastic bag under the Texas sun. My verbal imagery fails me - it was loving BAD, like the kind of odor you can't build up in a day even in Large Dude's circumstance. I choked down a retch and hurriedly looked away when it became clear that they were both stripping down and not stopping at underwear. What the gently caress. What the gently caress. I heard them get on the other bed and then I started hearing something else.

I was staring as hard as I could at anywhere but where they were but this was too much. I looked over to see Riff Raff giving his elephantine boyfriend the loudest blowjob I have ever witnessed before or since. It was almost violently vigorous and sounded like the dick in his mouth was made of half-melted caramel - seriously, just SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA. Fat Guy was propped on pillows and wearing the female dog head and paws with arms akimbo like he was on a throne and holy god it just kept going on.

SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA

There was zero motion or sound from Dog Man so it looked like Riff Raff was fellating the corpse of a fat gnoll and from the smell, one that was ten days dead. I was half drunk, stench-nauseated and being bluntly introduced to an unfamiliar sexuality by two of the most repellent possible human beings who just barged into our hotel room and started doing that without warning and I was freaking. the. gently caress. out.

What squicked me most was the fact that my normal, up-till-now perfectly sane girlfriend was still absently playing with her camera as if there was nothing unusual going on. She just completely did not care that an uglier, greasier version of a scene from The Shining was playing out 8 feet away from our bed and I couldn't deal with how loving weird that was for a microsecond longer.

I gave Shelley a tap and asked her as quietly and calmly as I could manage if we couldn't step out of the room for a moment. She gave a quizzical look but crawled off me and headed to the door. I followed her out as rapidly as possible and sucked in sweet fresh air like a drowning man, then demanded to know WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT in a stage whisper that attracted the attention of one of our ride mates, who was having a conversation with a few other con goers down the hallway. Shelley was taken aback and confused by how upset I was so I asked the ridemate the same question and she told me that the Stank Brothers found me attractive and colluded with our roommates to get us alone in there so they could entice us into relations. Their plan was to lure me with Riff Raff's amazing BJ skills, which she claimed had worked for them before. They knew that I'm straight so Fat Dog left his female dog head on to maybe make me more at ease with things.

That's right, the Dog Men seriously thought that they were being considerate.

Shelley was upset in an I-told-you-so sort of way but I was way past caring. I told her there was no way in loving hell I was going back in that room while those two were in there so we were going to have to find a different place to sleep. Our ridemate suggested we use Grease Bros room and Shelley headed back into the Tomb of Poison Mist to get their keycard while rolling her eyes.

When we opened the door to their room a lingering trace of funk poured out but I decided to deal with it. The room was a mess; their poo poo was strewn everywhere, and I feel that I need to clarify that I mean possessions not their literal poo poo, though at that point nothing would have been super surprising. The bed's blanket and sheets were freshly cleaned but when we got in it something still smelled rank, which turned out to be the mattress itself which when I pulled the sheets off practically had cartoon stench lines emanating from it. I know for a fact that the girl had a sense of smell but she apparently didn't mind having it raped with a spiked iron dildo because she wanted me to stop being a baby and put the sheets back on and just go to bed.

Yeah, gently caress that idea sideways. On my insistence we flipped the thing over and flopped down onto it with Shelley fuming about me 'overreacting.' My head was drunkenly spinning with the incredible surreality of everything, not least the fact that we were about to have our first real fight because I wasn't perfectly OK with a pair of Nurglites Cosmo Kramering into our room and openly loving right in front of us.
There is not :psyboom: enough in this world.

When I don't feel like having an argument I have this thing where I suddenly reverse gears and agree with my S.O. completely no matter how retarded I think she's being. It was a sad day when my ex wife figured that out, but Shelley didn't know it so it worked and she drifted off to sleep still somewhat irate. The combination of alcohol and a desperate desire to not be conscious allowed me to follow suit soon after, to be troubled by bizarre dreams that I thankfully don't really remember. By morning my nose had grown accustomed to Eau d' Dogman and I was hung over a bit so I was momentarily surprised by the knock on our door. It was Riff Raff and his boyfriend, who was thankfully back inside his reverse hazmat suit.

Someone must have told them my reaction because Riff Raff apologized for 'surprising me' which I accepted gladly and yeah we'll just be going, Shelley get up, yes yes, no problem at all, Shelley come on, yep on our way out the door, Shelley you can use the can in our suite come ON.

When we got back to our room our roommates were asleep in our bed. I have no idea what happened when they came back to the room the night previous and found the bros there. Maybe Riff Raff got his 4-way after all. Stench still lingered so I turned the AC on to max fan and propped the door open, which woke up the other couple. They apologized too which set Shelley off again. I just wanted to not think about it and get some breakfast so I did my yes-dear thing and suggested we hit a nearby McD's, at which place we had an almost-argument that ended with her still utterly incapable of understanding what my problem was but accepting that I had certain irrational boundaries.

With my strict No Strangers loving Near Haskell rule in place we toured the con for a second day, which except for me being a little jumpy around the suit people wasn't all that bad. Nothing really noteworthy happened after that. We stayed a second night at the hotel and left the next morning. I even found a pretty cool picture of a werewolf that didn't have its dick out. Shelley and I broke up two months later because she had to move to the East coast to care for her grandmother and I'm poo poo at long-distance relationships.

So, that's about it. I'm curious to see if any of the other furry convention attendees in this thread will recognize Riff Raff and Big Dog. They're pretty memorable even when they're not naked but it's been 20 years so maybe they've retired.

Haskell9 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 11, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Haskell9 posted:

There is not :psyboom: enough in this world.

No. No there's not. The gently caress was Shelley's home life like? Did you ever meet her parents? Have you learned your lesson, in that sometimes comic book stores are hellmouths filled with gross people?

I'm going to throw up now.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Wedemeyer posted:

No. No there's not. The gently caress was Shelley's home life like? Did you ever meet her parents? Have you learned your lesson, in that sometimes comic book stores are hellmouths filled with gross people?

I'm going to throw up now.

I met her parents multiple times. They were like someone zapped a Norman Rockwell painting to life with a lightning bolt. I have no explanation.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You sure you didn't accidentally meet Azure Horizon cause it sure sounds like you did. loving yikes

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Haskell9 posted:

I was staring as hard as I could at anywhere but where they were but this was too much. I looked over to see Riff Raff giving his elephantine boyfriend the loudest blowjob I have ever witnessed before or since. It was almost violently vigorous and sounded like the dick in his mouth was made of half-melted caramel - seriously, just SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA. Fat Guy was propped on pillows and wearing the female dog head and paws with arms akimbo like he was on a throne and holy god it just kept going on.

SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA SHLORPA

Amazing

so kind of :nws:like this:nws: then

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

That story has all the hallmarks of why furries (and other super-fringe geeky groups) have such awful reputations: refusal to confront bad behaviors in the peer group, total disregard for basic social etiquette, and just heinous understanding of sexual behavior and consent, especially to "outsiders." If there's one thing every story about "my experience with a furry" shares it seems to be that total disregard for boundaries coupled with the teller's "I thought this was just an art/mundane hobby thing."

Right off the bat I was upset at how she described "furry" to you, but later when you realized she genuinely thought the "offer" was "considerate" it was just sad.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
The description itself is an accurate enough first step, it just didn't go far enough into the weird sexual fetishism that has subsumed the furry fandom.

It's like if someone asks how to get to Lake-town and you tell them "oh, it's just through Mirkwood, there's the road," without bothering to mention that it's full of sentient spiders and xenophobic elves.
:goonsay:
I'm sorry I'm such a nerd that was just the first thing I thought of.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One of my favourite porn stars makes that exact same noise when she is greedily gobbling the nob. I just hope next time I'm pounding my flounder that her head isn't replaced with a giant red dogs face in my mind.

That being said it was a great story.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

One of my favourite porn stars makes that exact same noise when she is greedily gobbling the nob. I just hope next time I'm pounding my flounder that her head isn't replaced with a giant red dogs face in my mind.

That being said it was a great story.

But the giant red dog's face was the guy receiving, not giving!
:goonsay:

So, Haskell, did your girlfriend expect you to want to join in?

Also good god that story owns. God drat.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

titties posted:

Amazing

so kind of :nws:like this:nws: then
Riff Raff's style was louuder, rougher and faster-paced but yes that sounds similar.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Right off the bat I was upset at how she described "furry" to you, but later when you realized she genuinely thought the "offer" was "considerate" it was just sad.
Whoops, I was unclear. I've edited that part to make it more clear that the ridemate was explaining the dog brothers' reasoning, not endorsing it. Shelley herself expressed no opinion except that I was making much ado about nothing.

Dick Burglar posted:

So, Haskell, did your girlfriend expect you to want to join in?
Not really. She just didn't care at all that they were there. "Oh, my friends are loving over there. Ho hum." *plays with camera*

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

Riff Raff and Big Dog

You didn't need the disclaimer, it's a good story and that behaviour is grossly inappropriate regardless of the sexuality of the people involved.- A PC Weenie

I found your attempts to describe the smell quite evocative, so if it was even worse than that I dread to get within 50 feet of any furry convention :barf:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There was this classic account that was on the forums years ago. Camrath has a great A/T thread where he explains just why people fall into an anything goes attitude within furry groups along with stories of his group being kicked out from pubs for getting too carried away in public.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This is a great story (sorry you had to live it).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I refuse to believe that your ex-girlfriend was not giving a gently caress about the whole situation. She was weirded the gently caress out, but she was too afraid to confront them about what they were doing in her own room, and pretending to browse pictures on her phone until it was over was her solution of least resistance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rexides posted:

I refuse to believe that your ex-girlfriend was not giving a gently caress about the whole situation. She was weirded the gently caress out, but she was too afraid to confront them about what they were doing in her own room, and pretending to browse pictures on her phone until it was over was her solution of least resistance.

Nah, through friends of friends who date bottom of the barrel weirdo nerd girls this is entirely believable. When you're immersed in all sorts of gross perversions within an insular nerd culture where the only taboo is judging or excluding others, you can really normalize a lot of horrific sights and smells. She might have been fully aware it would be really off-putting to a "normie" but her weirdo furry nerd culture meant she had to at least pretend to totally not get why the whole scene was cause for fuss. Even admitting other people could find their "culture" hosed up and gross would make her lose inclusive-nerd-cred or some poo poo.

That was always my most shocking discovery upon meeting those types of really gross nerds, there is a LOT of sex going on. That fat slightly gothy girl with the odd smell and the "big personality" ? Yeah she's hosed every one of these pimply twiggy nerds in the anime club, sometimes at the same time, and she loves to talk about it you repressed judgemental normie.

I don't mean to make too many sweeping generalizations, but I've noticed in these real bottom of the barrel nerd circles they often revolve around a few gross ladies. They're not good looking, often downright nasty. They're annoying as gently caress with all sorts of obviously affected little voices and catch phrases and love to be "outspoken". They're often borderline mentally ill or outright nuts. But, by virtue of being a FEMALE they can amass a circle of disgusting nerds who will treat them like a sexy goddess. Why be a below average person in normal society when you can be the queen of a group of nerds? They'll often have slept with most of the nerds in the group, many of them became part of the group after an "exclusive" relationship that then faded out or she started loving other nerds, but being so spineless they stick around and "stay friends" (often with benefits). A lot of people with abnormal fetishes end up feeling excluded from society and end up falling into groups like this, because as pathetic as these nerds are, they're at least accepting. So you end up getting these fairly large nerd social circles where a bunch of the people are furry trans poly's with borderline personality disorder and mild autism, and they all end up blowing and yiffing and glomping each other in a desperate need for attention and fulfillment in a world they know they're at the very bottom of. And even if an individual isn't loving everyone in an orgy of BO and acne, they at least have to be totally accepting of those around them that are or they're a bad judgmental person not fit for the social group.

It's actually all pretty sad and probably unhealthy. Like it's great to for misfits to find an accepting social circle, but they end up becoming echo chambers that prevent any of the members from actually improving them selves.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Rexides posted:

pretending to browse pictures on her phone

This was state of the art at the time and cost like 2-3 grand.

Also I suspect Baronjutter is right, although the dynamic is a bit different with the furries because they're ~60% homosexual for a specific weird reason.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Haskell9 posted:

This was state of the art at the time and cost like 2-3 grand.

Also I suspect Baronjutter is right, although the dynamic is a bit different with the furries because they're ~60% homosexual for a specific weird reason.

You can't just end it there man, come on. Enquiring minds want to know!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Buried alive posted:

You can't just end it there man, come on. Enquiring minds want to know!

They just like fuzzy butt holes a lot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you want the real answer, the reason is because, especially back in the early 90s when this story happened, furry was heavily male and also sort of a place where some regular gay dudes (well, and lesbians) could get community and meet up in a time when you couldn't even talk about being gay so freely on the internet, let alone in public.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah let's not forget that up until the late 90's in most places being openly gay would get you arrested/killed.

As much as I loathe furries I'll never begrudge them that a lot of homosexuals had to mask their sexuality by going to these conventions. Then of course they found it was a open and welcoming place for them and so they stick around.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
There are a few ur-furries (like, 1980's BBS-era) over at fark and I screencapped one of them explaining it, but I can't find it. I'll look again tomorrow.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, through friends of friends who date bottom of the barrel weirdo nerd girls this is entirely believable. When you're immersed in all sorts of gross perversions within an insular nerd culture where the only taboo is judging or excluding others, you can really normalize a lot of horrific sights and smells. She might have been fully aware it would be really off-putting to a "normie" but her weirdo furry nerd culture meant she had to at least pretend to totally not get why the whole scene was cause for fuss. Even admitting other people could find their "culture" hosed up and gross would make her lose inclusive-nerd-cred or some poo poo.

That was always my most shocking discovery upon meeting those types of really gross nerds, there is a LOT of sex going on. That fat slightly gothy girl with the odd smell and the "big personality" ? Yeah she's hosed every one of these pimply twiggy nerds in the anime club, sometimes at the same time, and she loves to talk about it you repressed judgemental normie.

I don't mean to make too many sweeping generalizations, but I've noticed in these real bottom of the barrel nerd circles they often revolve around a few gross ladies. They're not good looking, often downright nasty. They're annoying as gently caress with all sorts of obviously affected little voices and catch phrases and love to be "outspoken". They're often borderline mentally ill or outright nuts. But, by virtue of being a FEMALE they can amass a circle of disgusting nerds who will treat them like a sexy goddess. Why be a below average person in normal society when you can be the queen of a group of nerds? They'll often have slept with most of the nerds in the group, many of them became part of the group after an "exclusive" relationship that then faded out or she started loving other nerds, but being so spineless they stick around and "stay friends" (often with benefits). A lot of people with abnormal fetishes end up feeling excluded from society and end up falling into groups like this, because as pathetic as these nerds are, they're at least accepting. So you end up getting these fairly large nerd social circles where a bunch of the people are furry trans poly's with borderline personality disorder and mild autism, and they all end up blowing and yiffing and glomping each other in a desperate need for attention and fulfillment in a world they know they're at the very bottom of. And even if an individual isn't loving everyone in an orgy of BO and acne, they at least have to be totally accepting of those around them that are or they're a bad judgmental person not fit for the social group.

It's actually all pretty sad and probably unhealthy. Like it's great to for misfits to find an accepting social circle, but they end up becoming echo chambers that prevent any of the members from actually improving them selves.

Uh, quit with your sweeping generalizations and post your specific unhealthy dealings with these gross ladies. You know the thread wants to hear about it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

this was an okay post until you started quoting /r/redpill

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Control Volume posted:

this was an okay post until you started quoting /r/redpill

He's not wrong though, at least not in the context of those kinds of social groups. That's not the kind of behavior you would expect to see in a healthy social environment, but we wouldn't be here if it was healthy.

(In this thread, I mean. But also on SA)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I don't think he's using FEMALES in the sense of "drat these ugly womenfolk for corrupting these poor nerds," but to try and describe the thought process when desperation meets desperation and creates horribly unhealthy, codependent groups.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Geniasis posted:

He's not wrong though, at least not in the context of those kinds of social groups. That's not the kind of behavior you would expect to see in a healthy social environment, but we wouldn't be here if it was healthy.

(In this thread, I mean. But also on SA)

Which I feel also makes those groups the cradle of where some redpillers come from (or observationally base their understanding of social interactions from). I mean, imagine being so much of a loser that even the creepiest furries don't want to associate with you. That's gotta cultivate some hearty resentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, having been around other Nerd Queens (and kind of been one as well, only I didn't date or gently caress in most of the circles) that description is pretty accurate. It's a lot of awkward girls who can't get positive attention in normal, healthy circles for whatever reasons, so they get a little carried away in their groups when no boundaries are enforced and most of the people are too enamored of nerd tits to oppose them.

A lot of the behavior really comes from various emotional issues that healthier groups don't put up with.

• Locked thread