Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

Some dude on the official boards got to one of the edges in a sidey, but it had an upgraded FSD

That wasn't really the edge, even in an Asp with 35+ ly range you don't really get to the edge, just a lot closer. A Sidewinder with A-FSD ends up something like 2k light years behind the point I reached. That's a lot more edgier. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thronde posted:

For the Goons doing rare trade runs, how much cargo are you usually fitting for? Would 20 tons be enough?

You know that the post literally two posts before yours has my post quoted that outlines the exact route, where to buy/sell, how many jumps are involved, and exactly what cargo requirements were experienced?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Luneshot posted:

How do I get in on this action.

Open the galaxy map, zoom out and take a picture without any overlays active. Find a picture of the Adder cockpit with the canopy vision edited out (or make your own) and place it over the galaxy map picture.

I really hope this is how because I can't process the idea of anyone flying an Adder that far outside the bubble.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 9, 2016

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Sard posted:

I really hope this is how because I can't process the idea of anyone flying an Adder that far outside the bubble.

They really did fly that far out in an Adder (using a hack that made 65k Ly jumps possible), but it's not normally possible. There are stars that far away but there comes a point that no ship currently can make the jump distances required. I think they did this just to see what was there and take pictures. Nothing was scanned to spoil any firsts if it ever becomes possible to jump out there.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Natsuumi posted:

Nothing was scanned to spoil any firsts if it ever becomes possible to jump out there.

That is surprisingly nice of them.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Bought myself a TrackIr and it makes me motion sick and terrible at this game. Whoops!

PM me if you want to buy it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

That is surprisingly nice of them.

That is surprisingly smart of them, because making it that easy for Frontier to find your hacking would be pretty drat stupid. Their names would be erased from their scanned objects again and if Frontier is feeling particularly naughty, the cheaters would have probably ended up being shadow-banned, unable to influence the game world anymore.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I got an Asp Explorer and I'm trying to outfit it in Li Yong space. This outfitter finder keeps sending me places that don't actually have what it says they have (I'm looking for a 5A FSD).

What is a solid system in Li Yong space to get a good outfitting selection?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can you pay to have a ship in storage moved somewhere?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you pay to have a ship in storage moved somewhere?

Nope. To move a ship, you'll want to dock your current ship, buy a Sidewinder or Hauler with an upgraded FSD and fuel tanks (a Hauler with a fuel tank or two doesn't even need a scoop unless you are moving a ship like 800ly), fly it to your stored ship, sell your Side/Hauler taxi, then hop into your stored ship and fly it where you want it.

You can also taxi to your stored ship, strip and sell the stored ship, then fly your taxi to a system near where you were gonna move the stored ship and buy a new one there. Since you get back 100% credits on outfitting and lose only 10% on the hull, this can sometimes be a more appealing option. For example, if you have multiple ships you want to relocate (like when goons moved from Big Harry to 63. G Capricorni and a bunch of us had multiple ships at Big Harry's), then it may be faster to sell them all and rebuy closer to home instead of making multiple roundtrips.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shine posted:

Nope. To move a ship, you'll want to dock your current ship, buy a Sidewinder or Hauler with an upgraded FSD and fuel tanks (a Hauler with a fuel tank or two doesn't even need a scoop unless you are moving a ship like 800ly), fly it to your stored ship, sell your Side/Hauler taxi, then hop into your stored ship and fly it where you want it.

You can also taxi to your stored ship, strip and sell the stored ship, then fly your taxi to a system near where you were gonna move the stored ship and buy a new one there. Since you get back 100% credits on outfitting and lose only 10% on the hull, this can sometimes be a more appealing option. For example, if you have multiple ships you want to relocate (like when goons moved from Big Harry to 63. G Capricorni and a bunch of us had multiple ships at Big Harry's), then it may be faster to sell them all and rebuy closer to home instead of making multiple roundtrips.

Thank you, that's a pain in the rear end but guess that works. I'll try it when I feel like organizing things.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'll probably move my ships to 63 G. fairly soon since they're kinda scattered all over the bubble. It seems pretty dumb that there's no way to transfer a ship easily though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I got an Asp Explorer and I'm trying to outfit it in Li Yong space. This outfitter finder keeps sending me places that don't actually have what it says they have (I'm looking for a 5A FSD).

What is a solid system in Li Yong space to get a good outfitting selection?

https://eddb.io/station

Type in your module(s). Put in your ref system. Type in Li Yong in Powers. Select Control & Exploited. Enjoy!

Luneshot posted:

I'll probably move my ships to 63 G. fairly soon since they're kinda scattered all over the bubble. It seems pretty dumb that there's no way to transfer a ship easily though.

Yup. I park everything in 63 G. and when I buy a new ship I buy a temp Eagle that I buy a FSD and fuel tank, strip it down and fly it to yongmart.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

https://eddb.io/station

Type in your module(s). Put in your ref system. Type in Li Yong in Powers. Select Control & Exploited. Enjoy!

Thanks.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Jesus, I just got my rear end kicked by an NPC. Went to a hazardous RES to try to do some hunting and spotted a Federal Gunship in a wing with 2 explorer Asps. Figure, hey, I'll take out that Gunship quickly and then kill the asps. Well, the Gunship took about 3x as long to kill as it should have and the asps just kept pounding on me. Finally turned on the Asps and realized they were almost through my shields again so popped another cell and they collapsed them just as it got online. Well poo poo, started taking a bit of damage but just thought I'd jump to the close by star base to repair up. Spooled up frame shift and just as it was about to jump, mass lock. I was going towards the belt (couldn't see it, it was in a system with a ring gap and it was dark). I start to hear the windscreen cracking and notice I'm down to 50%. poo poo, I'd better jump to a system. Panic, pic any system and JUST as the frame shift gets to the last bar to jump, killed.

$3,000,000 rebuy for my Python :(

Oh well, that's my story.

Hey, what's the trading route tool to use nowdays? Need to do some trucking.

The Funship and the FAS are beasts in HZRES, as they all come packing high-end armour which magnifies their base armour to ridiculous proportions. I never take them on when they're in a wing and I'm not. Especially in a wing with Asps, because they like toting railguns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How is the Courier for bounty hunting? Especially compared to the Vulture? I've been using the Vulture for a little while now and it's a fun, if one-note, ship.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The Courier is going to be down on firepower compared to the Vulture, which is bad because you ultimately want enough punch to consistently tackle larger ships in HazRES to get the biggest bounties. The Vulture can just squeak by with its 2 large hardpoints, the Courier will not do so great with its 3 medium hardpoints. Ideally you want to save up for something like a FAS or Clipper with their 2 large and 2 medium which will hold their own quite well tackling the biggest ships. From there you have the Python with an even better 3 large and 2 medium, but trades off in being quite a bit less maneuverable.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Jimbot posted:

How is the Courier for bounty hunting? Especially compared to the Vulture? I've been using the Vulture for a little while now and it's a fun, if one-note, ship.

It takes longer to kill anything, especially large ships, because of the smaller guns. Apart from that, it's about on par with a Vulture; pretty similar shields and maneouvrability, a bit faster. I like it but always get impatient with the little guns and end up back in the Vulture before too long.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Even if it took a couple of real days it would be nice to just be able to pay for our ships to be moved. Charge what you'd lose on selling the hull.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

timn posted:

The Courier is going to be down on firepower compared to the Vulture, which is bad because you ultimately want enough punch to consistently tackle larger ships in HazRES to get the biggest bounties. The Vulture can just squeak by with its 2 large hardpoints, the Courier will not do so great with its 3 medium hardpoints. Ideally you want to save up for something like a FAS or Clipper with their 2 large and 2 medium which will hold their own quite well tackling the biggest ships. From there you have the Python with an even better 3 large and 2 medium, but trades off in being quite a bit less maneuverable.

Or get a FdL and melt everyone in your path. Seriously it's a great combat ship, can easily get 600 shields and 1000 hull, can pack 4 medium beams and 1 huge cannon or PA for big ships. It's not as agile as the vulture but close to it, certainly much better than a Python, dunno about the FAS though.

Anything Cobra or smaller just gets vaporized in a single capacitor discharge from beams alone.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, totally forgot about the FDL. Still would save for an FAS or Clipper first since they'll be much more affordable and perfectly competent.

timn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 10, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played much since the beta days so I'm still re-learning as I go.

Recently upgraded to a Viper mk IV from a III and so long as you run gimbals and upgrade the internals ASAP it's a pretty great ship. Tons of power from the upsized internals. I'm really enjoying conflict zones in it and could see myself flying this ship for ages.

Is there a dogfighter upgrade path per se? Or should I just keep earning cash then go grind imperial rep to get a shiny white tron ship?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
How much in total assets should I have for hull+bare serviceable upgrades for an Imperial Clipper, before I'd zoom over to imperial space to grind the rep for it? Been grinding RES areas in a vulture, fast approaching the 23 mil required just for the hull.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do the FAS and the Clipper compare off? are they about equal? still saving for my FAS as I tend to like Fed Ships aesthetic more.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Flipswitch posted:

How do the FAS and the Clipper compare off? are they about equal? still saving for my FAS as I tend to like Fed Ships aesthetic more.

The FAS is an 800 ton Vulture with more hardpoints and bigger internals, the Clipper's a very large, very capable multirole ship. I'd prefer to be in the FAS for combat as it's more agile but I haven't actually flown the Clipper so I can't be more specific about how it flies.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Flipswitch posted:

Both ships are quite agile, especially considering their size/weight. The Clipper is faster in a straight line and has more room for doing stuff other than blowing other ships up, the FAS can land at outposts and has much a better hardpoint layout.

I'd say if you want to shoot stuff, buy a FAS. If you want to do other stuff, buy a Clipper.

Hamshot posted:

How much in total assets should I have for hull+bare serviceable upgrades for an Imperial Clipper, before I'd zoom over to imperial space to grind the rep for it? Been grinding RES areas in a vulture, fast approaching the 23 mil required just for the hull.
Depends on what you want to do with it. For trading you can probably get going with around 30m, for combat you'd probably want to double that at least.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

timn posted:

Yeah, totally forgot about the FDL. Still would save for an FAS or Clipper first since they'll be much more affordable and perfectly competent.

Actually if we're talking about top of the line loadouts they're quite similar in price, an A-ranked combat FAS will cost you about 60 millions vs 80 for a comparable FdL. (I use B-rated power plants both for extra strength and because they're enough to power my usual weapons loadout while being cheaper, in any case they're the same size so the price difference would be the same anyways)

The equivalent Clipper is kind of a waste, closer in cost to the FdL at 75 millions, worst hardpoint placement, not that great shields unless you splurge for a 7A generator (and even then it has less than half the FdL shields, and costs 110 millions) and it has so many internals that it's really more suited to be a multirole ship.

Both FAS and Clipper have much better range and more internals than the FdL (not that you need those for pure combat anyways, SCB were heavily nerfed so at most you'll have one, maybe a FSD interdictor and a scoop, but after that it's hull reinforcements time - personally I don't bother with SCBs or interdictors at all, for PvE RES farming they're not really needed)

As for speed, Clipper wins hands down at 347/440 normal/boost, then FdL 296/398 and FAS 242/403; the FdL has enormous shields (842 vs 362 Clipper vs 298 FAS) but worse hull strength (1035 vs 1570 FAS vs 2106 Clipper with all hull reinforcements :stare: ). Both Clipper and FAS require faction rank which can be painful to get.

They all weigh about half optimal mass for their thrusters, but while FAS and FdL have the same 6/10 agility rating, so quite similar maneuverability, the Clipper has it worse at 2/10. Still perfectly manageable and surprisingly snappy for a ship that size mind you, but out of the three it's noticeably clunkier to throw around especially with FA on. You will drift into asteroids a lot if you're not used to it :v: Also it has the bigger profile by a fair margin so you'll get hit more.

Weapons are a toss-up, all three allow ample choice of weaponry and are very effective against all kinds of ships. I'm in love with the FdL's huge cannon (3-shot a 'conda power plant? Yes please), but I know how 2x large 2x medium can wreck everything up too. FAS wins over Clipper because of hardpoint placement, the large hardpoints on the clipper force you to use gimbals (I do use gimbals anyway but if you favor fixed you're screwed)

My personal opinion is FdL > FAS > Clipper for pure combat, but they're actually quite well balanced depending on your playstyle - the extra shields, more hardpoints and utility slots on the FdL allow for extra customization and staying power, but the others have extra hull that kinda balances it out, the Clipper is insanely fast for a 700 ton monstrosity, and having more range and internals allow for ships that can do more things at once. This is all from a PvE perspective, in PvP I guess the sheer possibility to slap 4 railguns + 1 huge PA on the FdL makes it a clear winner but I really don't know anything about PvP.

Final word of advice: if you only have 25-30 millions, instead of getting a D-rated FAS/Clipper, just get an A-rated Vulture (it has power troubles so you either put bi-weave shields on it, downgrade something a bit or use 2x pulses as weapons with a 5A shield gen), it's almost as good at combat as those top-of-the-line loadouts. It lacks the sheer killing power of those other ships but 2x large hardpoints strapped on a thing with the agility of an Eagle, even if you only put large pulses there, can still destroy everything up to and including Anacondas :D

Sorry for the spergpost, I love analyzing this poo poo :allears:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 10, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TorakFade posted:

Sorry for the spergpost, I love analyzing this poo poo :allears:

Don't be sorry, your post is informative and can potentially be integrated into the OP as a mid to late game murderbotes thing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, this happened.

Decided to fight a Cobra III after earning 500k in bounties at a Resource Exctraction site, and I did not anticipate how well kitted out he was. Pushed my poo poo inside out.

My hull was down to 1%, canopy breached. Expecting death, I took my hands off the stick and waited for the void. Two things happened, 1) No death and 2) The cobra that had wiped the floor with my unsuspecting arse was leaving the scene.

Needless to say, butthole was clenched on that hop back to the station.

Is this is a scipted thing, or was I just incredibly lucky?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

They all weigh about half optimal mass for their thrusters, but while FAS and FdL have the same 6/10 agility rating, so quite similar maneuverability,

The FdL certainly doesn't feel as agile as the FAS to me, and it is *much* more dependent on having pips to engines to fly well (FA on at least). The FAS feels like a heavier, slightly more drifty Vulture, IMHO.

(Haven't tried the huge cannon on the FdL yet though, been messing with PAs up until now...)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mike the TV posted:

Bought myself a TrackIr and it makes me motion sick and terrible at this game. Whoops!

PM me if you want to buy it

Are you UK?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
This game is so beautiful.

I was lost in thought admiring the view while refueling.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Eastern US.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Things are going well now that I've had a few friends explain some things to me. I now know, for example, not to accept the Surface Recovery missions asking me to find occupied lifepods on the planet surface in under an hour because it's like trying to find a pin on a literal entire planet, and that is stupid and bad.
I also know how useful it is to lock onto wingmates' beacons to autodrop out of supercruise when near them. I keep overshooting stuff when trying to drop out of supercruise but I'm getting better.
I'm in an Eagle now because some friends gave me some Kobe Beef to trade in at a station. I actually really like using the cargo scoop. I gave it some more weapons, better power stuff, a better FSD drive, and a fuel scoop which proved invaluable on the 10 jump run from Dahan to Kremainn, where I'm parked in Wohler Terminal at the moment. There are a ton of resource extraction sites and conflict zones within 1000ls of the area so it's a good moneymaking opportunity for the budding bounty hunter. I'm about 1k short of my buyback though so I hope I don't die on my first solo collection run.

I'm hearing that stuff like naming your ships and actually getting out and exploring the stations is coming? I hope that's a thing. It is a little disappointing to travel billions of miles to get to essentially an identical place with a different label on it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

One thing that helps with search and rescue missions is to zoom your SRV sensors all the way out as soon as you deploy. Target areas often have security zones with a couple of drones, and if you start out in the center of the blue POI circle you've got a good chance of stumbling upon the target almost immediately.

I love search and rescue missions now, 100,000c for ten minutes work, plus I'll probably pick up extra pods for future missions, and I get to feel like a good guy!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Actually if we're talking about top of the line loadouts they're quite similar in price

Two particular flaws with your loadouts:

1. No military bulkheads. This is a common compromise to save cash but is much more inportant in 1.5 if you're trying to maximize hull tanking for when things get too hot in a CZ or something. This change alone makes the FDL much more expensive than the FAS.

2. Phone posting but it looks like you have the FSD disabled when hardpoints are deployed. This was bad before 1.5 because it caused you to have to wait for the retraction animation to finish before jumping, but is even worse now because of the module boot up times on top of that. This is a big problem if you need to make a quick getaway in an emergency. You need the larger powerplants to make this work. It would also let you entertain the idea of a class 4 PAC on the FDL which is even more $$$, put a comparable KWS on instead of settling for a D rate, and other quality of life measures.

And a sidenote, cannons do not make sense to use in any class size in which you could use multicannons instead. Cannons are pretty mediocre, but multicannons are great.

TLDR your builds have some non-trivial compromises and it so happens the FDL benefits better than the FAS does from it. Even the Cutter looks reasonable (relatively speaking) if you skimp on the right things. But they're not very well optimized for when things go really wrong without warning.

timn fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 10, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

timn posted:

And a sidenote, cannons do not make sense to use in any class size in which you could use multicannons instead. Cannons are pretty mediocre, but multicannons are great.

Your other comments make sense but this one is pure opinion. Cannons punch up in damage and there is no size 4 multi cannon. I'll take fixed cannons over any same sized multi cannons in most hardpoint positions on most ships because a single high damage pop is more my jam then a constant stream of multis.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

What is the deal with fines? I picked up some rare drink and apparently it's illicit cargo, so now I have a big fine. What happens if I don't pay it? I've been carrying a 100cr fine around forever for something stupid, and I never noticed that it did anything.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

The Locator posted:

What is the deal with fines? I picked up some rare drink and apparently it's illicit cargo, so now I have a big fine. What happens if I don't pay it? I've been carrying a 100cr fine around forever for something stupid, and I never noticed that it did anything.

It'll turn into a bounty in 7 days, and then back into a legacy fine another 7 days after that I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gonna laugh at this person on Reddit:

• Locked thread