Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xlevus posted:

I believe, to some extent, bcache is persistent between reboots, providing you don't detach a cache-set from a backing device. But I'm not 100% sure, it's been a while since I've used bcache.
Google says yes, so that's awesome. That should net me fast booting while not crapping my pants about filling up an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have ZFS on my NAS, but the iSCSI target is on a Gigabit connection. Eventually I'll try some MPIO or whatever. So I'd need ideally some caching on the VM host.

I thought it was more of a latency issue than throughput.

This is why I run Infiniband ;)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I've looked into used IB adapters and they're not that well to get overhere in Europe. Plus, everyone seems to go for Mellanox because they're most common and thus can be found really cheap, but FreeNAS still doesn't support those. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 5, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I've looked into used IB adapters and they're not that well to get overhere in Europe. Plus, everyone seems to go for Mellanox because they're most common and thus can be found really cheap, but FreeNAS still doesn't support those. :(

I am also in Europe ;) bought mine secondhand but needed one with memory onboard for Solaris ( Tavor driver ). Linux runs everything and has a subnet manager.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
We're getting rid of our MS Exchange server and moving to a hosted solution.
Our new provider doesn't have an open or accessible smtp service for our internal applications and monitoring tools to use to send emails.
We think we need to setup an smtp relay or smtp mail server to point our applications to (such as nagios and our backup tools).
We want it to be self contained and not forward through gmail or some other existing mail service.

I've been looking at Exim and Postfix but i'm not sure if these are more than we actually need. We don't need mailboxes or anything other than the facility to accept and deliver mail to external servers.

We'd want to lock it down so that only applications on our LAN can send mail though it but wouldn't require smtp authentication.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could setup a ClearOS box or something if you aren't comfortable with running a little Linux server with just email on it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've installed Arch Linux in a VM for a dry run for the switch-over this weekend. I'm not too fond of the activity launcher of Gnome 3. Is there a way to deactivate it for a simpler solution a la Gnome 2 start menu?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You can still pick the classic shell from GDM/KDM/whatever, I think, but you probably just want MATE.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

You could setup a ClearOS box or something if you aren't comfortable with running a little Linux server with just email on it.

We're expecting to need to setup a VM running ubuntu server, we're just unsure of the best application to run for the SMTP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

we use postfix

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

EvilRic posted:

We'd want to lock it down so that only applications on our LAN can send mail though it but wouldn't require smtp authentication.

This is stupidly easy to do with postfix. There's really only two lines you'd need to edit in main.cf from a stock install

myhostname = some.fqdn.ofyourcompany.tld
mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8 (or whatever your internal network is) <-- this is the key to allow your internal network to relay mail through this box without authenticating. You can also do a comma-separated list of individual IPs or hostnames if you'd prefer

Then I'd recommend setting up TLS support so you can send mail to third parties not in cleartext:

smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/tls/certs/some-default.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/tls/certs/some-default.key
smtpd_use_tls = yes

More reading on securing email delivery with TLS is here.

service postfix start/systemstl start postfix, and you're essentially done, at least with the postfix configuration. At a bare minimum you'll want to set up SPF records for your email domain if you don't have them already, and if you do, add the public IP of your postfix box to that TXT record so that third parties won't blacklist you. You'll also want to create a PTR record for that public IP of your postfix box to match the "myhostname" field.

DKIM message signing is also nice, relatively easy, and free, but probably overkill for what you're planning on doing.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 6, 2016

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

Cidrick posted:

This is stupidly easy to do with postfix. There's really only two lines you'd need to edit in main.cf from a stock install

myhostname = some.fqdn.ofyourcompany.tld
mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8 (or whatever your internal network is) <-- this is the key to allow your internal network to relay mail through this box without authenticating. You can also do a comma-separated list of individual IPs or hostnames if you'd prefer

Then I'd recommend setting up TLS support so you can send mail to third parties not in cleartext:

smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/tls/certs/some-default.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/tls/certs/some-default.key
smtpd_use_tls = yes

More reading on securing email delivery with TLS is here.

service postfix start/systemstl start postfix, and you're essentially done, at least with the postfix configuration. At a bare minimum you'll want to set up SPF records for your email domain if you don't have them already, and if you do, add the public IP of your postfix box to that TXT record so that third parties won't blacklist you. You'll also want to create a PTR record for that public IP of your postfix box to match the "myhostname" field.

DKIM message signing is also nice, relatively easy, and free, but probably overkill for what you're planning on doing.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Provided we have the SPF record so that it doesn't get flagged and the MX records point at the proper hosted server for delivery and replies, if I set it up with our domain name will it matter that the postfix server won't be the actual mail server for our domain?

If it would cause issues perhaps we'd need to use an additional domain for this server? It's literally for sending alerts to our staff and in some cases our customers.

Thanks again.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

EvilRic posted:

Provided we have the SPF record so that it doesn't get flagged and the MX records point at the proper hosted server for delivery and replies, if I set it up with our domain name will it matter that the postfix server won't be the actual mail server for our domain?

Nope, not if all you're doing is only sending email and not receiving it.

One caveat: either don't set a "mydestination" variable in main.cf, or leave it as "localhost" or something. Otherwise, if you try to send email to "your" company's email domain from within your company's network, it will think that it's hosting mailboxes for your email domain, so email will get stuck in the postfix queues on your server and never try to do the MX record lookup to find out where that email should actually get delivered to.

Edit: I looked up the docs and the default is to have mydestination as "$myhostname", which should be fine to leave as-is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EvilRic posted:

We're getting rid of our MS Exchange server and moving to a hosted solution.
Our new provider doesn't have an open or accessible smtp service for our internal applications and monitoring tools to use to send emails.
We think we need to setup an smtp relay or smtp mail server to point our applications to (such as nagios and our backup tools).
We want it to be self contained and not forward through gmail or some other existing mail service.

I've been looking at Exim and Postfix but i'm not sure if these are more than we actually need. We don't need mailboxes or anything other than the facility to accept and deliver mail to external servers.

Get a Mandrill account or if you already use AWS then use SES.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

Cidrick posted:

Nope, not if all you're doing is only sending email and not receiving it.

One caveat: either don't set a "mydestination" variable in main.cf, or leave it as "localhost" or something. Otherwise, if you try to send email to "your" company's email domain from within your company's network, it will think that it's hosting mailboxes for your email domain, so email will get stuck in the postfix queues on your server and never try to do the MX record lookup to find out where that email should actually get delivered to.

Edit: I looked up the docs and the default is to have mydestination as "$myhostname", which should be fine to leave as-is.

That's great thanks.

For the TLS will a self signed cert do? I am assuming it is just used for the server to server encryption and provided it is valid the other servers won't mind if it is self signed?

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks, that does look like a good service and i'd not heard of it before. We'd like to use something in house for the time being but we'll definitely bear it in mind for the future.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

EvilRic posted:

For the TLS will a self signed cert do? I am assuming it is just used for the server to server encryption and provided it is valid the other servers won't mind if it is self signed?

To be honest, I've never tested using a self-signed cert. I imagine some MTAs are fine with it as long as the CN on the certificate matches your $myhostname field, but I've never tested this theory. Getting a cert from a Comodo or Geotrust reseller is like $10 for a year, so I've always just done that so I would never have to worry about the headache.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else here has tried using a self-signed cert and if it works or not.

Edit: Some googling suggests that you can get away with using free third party CAs like StartSSL or CAcert.org. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd actually like to start playing with SES at some point, but I just haven't had a use case that would fit it yet. How does it handle connections and authentication to their relays?

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 6, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's APIs or you can use SMTP if you're trying to drop in in place of an existing mail server

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/send-email-smtp.html

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Trying to configure Ubuntu 15.10 to display at 144 hz. Running 2 2560x1440 (one 60 hz, one 144 hz) monitors through a GTX 960; made sure my drivers were up to date. The mouse moves at 144 hz on the 144 hz monitor, but windows/scrolling is still at 60 hz. This happens even without the other monitor plugged in. Am I missing an X setting here or something?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
For situations like that, you may need to manually configure X.org instead of relying on autoconf. Have you done that?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What DE, what applications are you running?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Unity, and i'm just moving the xterm window around and scrolling in Chrome to test. I generated an xorg.conf with nvidia-settings and it already had the right vertical sync; booting with it didn't do anything, but I've never really dealt with xorg config, so I could've missed something obvious.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
FWIW I run a 120hz monitor on fedora/gnome3, and everything runs at 120hz there (mouse, scrolling, browser, games).

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm looking to create some sort of lightweight, pre-boot environment (preferably redhat-flavored since I know it the best) for a machine to pxe boot from. I don't want it to actually install an operating system - it's mostly going to be a small OS to do some pre-kickstart stuff, such as registering hardware info with our inventory system, adding itself to cobbler, putting its host record information into infoblox, setting up a RAID config, and so on.

We have something like that now, but it's sort of lovely - we mount an NFS mount exported from a single server in one of our data centers that has a full-blown EL6 installation on it, which isn't the tidiest way of doing things, nor is it lightweight at all. It also suffers the problem of locking when we have multiple hosts trying to boot at once.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cleaner way to do this? I've been researching making a customized initrd, but that doesn't seem like quite the right way to be doing things. Should I convert a LiveCD installation to a network-bootable one?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I use Debian preseed for my home machines, I have a script that preseed runs when it's finished to do everything outside of base install. All I have to do with this setup is select boot from usb key and it gets me all the way to a fresh working desktop.

Now I've been thinking of switching to arch, I can make a script that automates install, but how do I get from boot to that script? Is there a standard method out there that people use?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm trying to convert an old Ubuntu server to a VM with VMware. I got the machine converted just fine but in doing so a new MAC got created for the vnic. When I load the machine I cant get a terminal open through the gui and I can only seem to get the command line open if I boot into recovery mode which makes everything on the disk read only.

Is there a way through grub or through recovery mode that would allow me to open and edit the /etc/udev/rule.d/70-persistent-net.rules file? Even if I just delete that it should create a new file with the new MAC address I think.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm trying to convert an old Ubuntu server to a VM with VMware. I got the machine converted just fine but in doing so a new MAC got created for the vnic. When I load the machine I cant get a terminal open through the gui and I can only seem to get the command line open if I boot into recovery mode which makes everything on the disk read only.

mount -o rw,remount /

Cidrick posted:

I'm looking to create some sort of lightweight, pre-boot environment (preferably redhat-flavored since I know it the best) for a machine to pxe boot from. I don't want it to actually install an operating system - it's mostly going to be a small OS to do some pre-kickstart stuff, such as registering hardware info with our inventory system, adding itself to cobbler, putting its host record information into infoblox, setting up a RAID config, and so on.

We have something like that now, but it's sort of lovely - we mount an NFS mount exported from a single server in one of our data centers that has a full-blown EL6 installation on it, which isn't the tidiest way of doing things, nor is it lightweight at all. It also suffers the problem of locking when we have multiple hosts trying to boot at once.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cleaner way to do this? I've been researching making a customized initrd, but that doesn't seem like quite the right way to be doing things. Should I convert a LiveCD installation to a network-bootable one?

This is exactly what things like the foreman discovery image are for. You may need to build your own livecd and convert it, but I'd recommend starting there. It'd also be a great use for coreos or something else light

livecd-iso-to-pxeboot is fine (though I strongly recommend ipxe over http, since it's much, much faster)

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evol262 posted:

This is exactly what things like the foreman discovery image are for. You may need to build your own livecd and convert it, but I'd recommend starting there. It'd also be a great use for coreos or something else light

livecd-iso-to-pxeboot is fine (though I strongly recommend ipxe over http, since it's much, much faster)

Thanks, this is exactly the direction I was looking for.

And agreed on ipxe - I finally figured out how to get DHCP filters to work in Infoblox, so I can get chainloading to ipxe going. I had it set up at my last shop for booting ESXi installs, because trying to do that poo poo over tftp took loving forever.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

mount -o rw,remount /

Thanks that did the trick. Was able to get the updated MAC in the system and everything is running great now. One more old dell box we can add to the scrap heap.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Unity, and i'm just moving the xterm window around and scrolling in Chrome to test. I generated an xorg.conf with nvidia-settings and it already had the right vertical sync; booting with it didn't do anything, but I've never really dealt with xorg config, so I could've missed something obvious.
Compiz turns on compositor VSync by default. It's probably synchronizing its renders to the slowest refresh rate among connected displays, since you're seeing unmanaged drawables (your mouse cursor) drawing at the rate you expect. Do you see the same thing if you disable Compiz VSync?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Tried every combination of nvidia/compiz vsync settings and nothing seemed to work. Since I'm just evaluating different DEs, I started using Gnome - with two monitors it has the same issue, but when I deactivate the 60 hz one the 144 hz one starts working fine (at least the windows do.) Until I can replace the other monitor with a 144 hz, I'll probably just have to live with 60 hz windows if I want two monitors, I guess (no great loss.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
See "Vblank syncing" here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/319.32/README/openglenvvariables.html

"When sync to vblank is enabled with TwinView, OpenGL can only sync to one of the display devices; this may cause tearing corruption on the display device to which OpenGL is not syncing. You can use the environment variable __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE to specify to which display device OpenGL should sync. You should set this environment variable to the name of a display device; for example "CRT-1""

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cidrick posted:

To be honest, I've never tested using a self-signed cert. I imagine some MTAs are fine with it as long as the CN on the certificate matches your $myhostname field, but I've never tested this theory. Getting a cert from a Comodo or Geotrust reseller is like $10 for a year, so I've always just done that so I would never have to worry about the headache.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else here has tried using a self-signed cert and if it works or not.

Edit: Some googling suggests that you can get away with using free third party CAs like StartSSL or CAcert.org. Your mileage may vary.

Let's Encrypt is a thing now, too. There's basically no excuse for not using TLS on all the things these days.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Docjowles posted:

Let's Encrypt is a thing now, too. There's basically no excuse for not using TLS on all the things these days.

Oh sweet. Now I can not give Comodo my $30 in march when my MTA is due for renewal.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a folder with a bunch of files that all begin with an acronym. Can I bulk update these filenames to spell that acronym out (i.e change every file that begins with 'USA' to United States of America' while retaining everything in the filename that comes after it?

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
Look into the rename command, for that specific example you probably want something like:

code:
rename USA 'United Sates of America' USA*

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got a folder with a bunch of files that all begin with an acronym. Can I bulk update these filenames to spell that acronym out (i.e change every file that begins with 'USA' to United States of America' while retaining everything in the filename that comes after it?

for i in `ls USA*`; do mv $i "United States of America"`echo $i | awk -F USA '{print $2}'` ; done

EDIT:

ViolentQuiche posted:

Look into the rename command, for that specific example you probably want something like:

code:

well poo poo, don't I look like an idiot now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, alsamixer shows a million and one things for my dedicated soundcard, whereas Gnome pretends there's just a digital out. Nevermind that my NVIDIA HDMI audio output doesn't even show. What gives?

--edit: Nevermind. Soundblaster card. gently caress it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 9, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am wondering if anyone knows how packages migrate from RHEL to CentOS? Specifically, I want to install the package "devtoolset-4". On CentOS' cbs I see the package (http://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=2076), but I don't know what their process is for a package making its way into the main centos repository from cbs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Judging from the tags, that will never go into the main repo.

That package is tagged for the SCLo SIG (centos software collections). You should ask someone on that SIG when they plan to publish the packages. The -candidate tag is a good sign, but ask, especially because there appear to be some problems with devtoolset-4, and that build was from testing a potential fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ViolentQuiche posted:

code:

This worked perfectly, thank you!

fatherdog posted:

well poo poo, don't I look like an idiot now

Haha not at all, I appreciate the help!