Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boydi!
Jul 19, 2005
I have no idea what to write here!
Are there many goons playing this on xbox one? Im looking for some buddies to play with. Looking for a guild to join too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Current eso status: holy god, soloing with a sorcerer tank is "solo-destroyingly" boring! and I don't think I've got it in me to level it up to vet ranks

You basically just stand there and wait for your clannfear to kill stuff

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

vug posted:

Current eso status: holy god, soloing with a sorcerer tank is "solo-destroyingly" boring! and I don't think I've got it in me to level it up to vet ranks

You basically just stand there and wait for your clannfear to kill stuff

Really? I'm having a blast with mine :confused:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-lightning-ward-endgame-magicka-sorcerer-tank-pve/ <- Following this build, with minor adjustments for soloing.This build is great in the overworld because you can balance having enough dps to nuke things down but be tanky enough to run around and solo almost everything. Also, no boring summoned pet required.

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
Grabbed this back in the steam sale, could I be thrown an invite to the NA guild? In as @SpiderPlant

Also, I know the Steam sale on this ended a while back, but anyone know if it's still on sale anywhere else? My wife and fellow MMO addict has a hankering to join me, but not at a £50 price tag.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:Elder%20Scrolls%20Online;/scroll:%23gamelist

Try there

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

omg chael crash posted:

So, I'm Vet rank 1. I want to start tanking but also still be able to level solo when my friends aren't on. Any build advice? I'm an Orc Templer on PS4.

Going to quote myself for a new page. Any tips or links would be appreciated.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Every "templar leveling build" some how expected rank 42 in all skills and also building specific set items as you level.

But it all sucks anyways. Unless you absolutely need to, just play what's fun. I hope someday I can make a decent kit for a healing/tank templar, or healing/dps because an these people in random dungeons are massive gently caress ups.

Why does that stupid thing keep dropping me into groups of 2 other dudes? It's kinda annoying. Stay in que for like 10 minutes and no one joins. GG

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I guess I can just wing it, see how that goes

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.

That's a super useful site, and we're now waiting for her copy to download. Thank you!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

omg chael crash posted:

I guess I can just wing it, see how that goes

When I was playing my templar tanky I had all of my attribute points into health, and basically just used blazing shield and puncture spam. So shield charge in, blazing shield, light attack, [that ability that gives you more ultimate in S&B], light attack, [whatever I morphed the first S&B skill to], light attack. Use the radial attack/damage reduction ult (empowering sweep?) whenever. Keep your [+ult generated buff] up, from the second S&B skill. Keep defensive stance up. Use heavy attacks if when your stamina gets low.

You can spice it up a lot too. Use the +mana rune focus morph and use Puncturing Sweep for the self heal. Drink +health/+stamina recovery food and keep restoring aura on your bar and on cool down to keep your recovery really high so you heal under your damage shields. Bash spam still kinda works. They're all valid things that would play differently but get you where you need to go, they'll just tend to be slow going because being tanky is always slower going.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

So, I'm Vet rank 1. I want to start tanking but also still be able to level solo when my first aren't on. Any build advice? I'm an Orc Templer on PS4.
If you can find someone to craft you a set of Hundings Rage and Night's Silence armor, you can level up as a DPS with either dual wield or 2 hander by going stamina on your tank.

Spider Plant posted:

That's a super useful site, and we're now waiting for her copy to download. Thank you!
If you guys plan on playing together, make sure to drop some crowns on a set of Mara rings. 10% increase to xp gain on while grouped up, on top of the natural 10% increase for being in a group already.

E: Invite sent. Once your wife also gets on board, feel free to toss her an invite to the guild (Open up guild menu by pressing G, hit E to open up the invite player dialog, then type her @userid, aka the username she's using to log into the game).

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2016

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Any tips on getting a response from support? I wanted to play a catguy on Ebonheart so I tried to buy a sub so I'd have enough crowns for the Adventurer Pack, but it gave me a billing address error and then double charged me without giving me a subscription anyway. Put in a ticket but 5 days later I have yet to hear anything back. Is this par for the course?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Amante posted:

Any tips on getting a response from support? I wanted to play a catguy on Ebonheart so I tried to buy a sub so I'd have enough crowns for the Adventurer Pack, but it gave me a billing address error and then double charged me without giving me a subscription anyway. Put in a ticket but 5 days later I have yet to hear anything back. Is this par for the course?

Unfortunately this is pretty much SOP for them, moreso since they just laid off a ton of CS staff in December.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Scyantific posted:

If you can find someone to craft you a set of Hundings Rage and Night's Silence armor, you can level up as a DPS with either dual wield or 2 hander by going stamina on your tank.

Yeah, I figured I would do something like that. Pump up stam and just use stam based weapon skills when I'm solo. Any other tips?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah, I figured I would do something like that. Pump up stam and just use stam based weapon skills when I'm solo. Any other tips?

If you're leveling, just forget about tanking and go with your favorite flavor of dps. If you're doing group dungeons, there's only a few battles where a tank is helpful, so make two sets of armor. One with your usual dps gear, and another heavy with all health enchants for tanking. If you do it right, you shouldn't have to change your attribute or champion points around when you make the switch (just your skills).

If gear switching is a problem for you, I think you'll do better in heavy armor running a magicka dps build (puncturing sweep spam, jesus beam, backlash) instead of a stamina dps build. Magicka dps on a templar specifically can be made to use only class skills, so you could easily have two sword and board bars going and still do alright dps. Definitely have an aedric spear ability on both bars for the blocking passive. Toppling charge and blazing shield are excellent choices, you'll want to be spamming shield and breath of life to stay alive (which is another reason to go magicka). Empowered sweep is also good and satisfies the aedric spear requirement, but there are other ults you might prefer.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I'm magic DPS right now and most of my abilities are class skills. Can many of the talents I would use for tanking be morphed to use magic?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I'm a dragonknight healer tank dps and I use destruction staves and two handed because they're the best and I spread all my points evenly between health stamina and magic and I wear heavy armor and

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I'm magic DPS right now and most of my abilities are class skills. Can many of the talents I would use for tanking be morphed to use magic?

You can actually do p decent as a magic based tank/dps templar. I'm following this particular guide right now and tweaking it to my liking (i.e. my Mage points are flipped, 100 Elfborn rest in Thaumaturge).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Pierce armor and heroic slash are stamina (absorb magicka too, but that's just slotted for the passive), so you will need some. But with block cost jewelry, some champion points, and those aedric spear passives, you can get by tanking with 10k stamina. You could potentially swap pierce armor for inner fire (like replacing invasion with toppling charge), but that debuff is really nice.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

JackBadass posted:

I'm a dragonknight healer tank dps and I use destruction staves and two handed because they're the best and I spread all my points evenly between health stamina and magic and I wear heavy armor and

same

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific's ersatz magicka dps posted:

Most tank builds aim maximising survivability, being actually a dummy with taunt, and we are lucky if they have something useful like horn or chain. This build survivability stats are minimased – just enough to survive, all other resourses are put into being more effective for group.

And that's completely backwards. If you're barely surviving, you're not a tank. Just roll dps.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Leveling as a tank is slow, and I don't recommend doing it for your first character. Go DPS. You'll kill poo poo faster, but also die a lot easier. Dying is good for learning, it lets you know when you're in over your head or when you need to change up your tactics. There's been quite a few times leveling my DPS when I couldn't find help for a world boss or dolmen and needed to throw together a weird combo of skills that let me conquer it (usually after a few tries).

Playing a tank is much more rewarding after that experience. Now your new character has a few champ points to throw around and you really understand the gameplay and mechanics. Laugh in the face of those bosses and events that caused you trouble before! You're a towering wall of meat and anger. Who needs to change tactics when everything smashes itself against your mighty shield?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NA PC Goons:

Tonight I'm hosting a Cyrodiil Skyshard event, which may or may not turn into a stream-sniping thing if certain ESO Streamer SuperstarsTM are doing their thing tonight.

Yes it will be on one of the Veteran instances so we'll have to be careful. If you have a Nightblade I strongly suggest you bring it. Alternatively, make sure you have a gap closer skill ready.

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.
Is there any 3rd party mod that gives the game shadowing some depth? One of the main turn off's i've had with ESO is just how dead and grey everything looks. It's not so much the colour, it's the lack of shading or decent lighting, just feels really... really flat.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
No. Mods are limited to UI addons via LUA.

Also, the lighting engine in this game is pretty great. YMMV.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Could I get a guild invite?

I am @TwistedNails playing EP on NA PC server. I'm only level 7 and it would be nice having people to chat with for my horrible newbie questions.

Edit: Got it thanks!

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 8, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a shoutout to any EU goons playing on the PC:
Feel free to toss me a friend invite, @Palantyre. I have a VR 2 toon on DC, Cadwelling around in Auridon, and a level 38 dude on EP that I've been playing with a buddy.
Maybe we'll happen to be online at the same time sometime and go kill some poo poo together, idk.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Can I level up DW by just having two weapons equipped? Or do I need to have abilities slotted as well?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Yeah, it'll level up with just the weapons equipped. It goes faster the more skills of that line you have in your bar, though. If you are ever curious about what raises a skill line, you can mouse over the big XP bar at the top of the skill page, and it'll tell you exactly what contributes to xp for that skill line. That said, if you don't want to have a bar full of skills from a certain line, but want to level it up quicker, you can always just fill up your secondary bar (if you aren't using it anyway) with skills from whatever line and switch to it whenever you turn in quests.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Looking for an invite @pctD on ED.

E: Got one, thanks!

pctD fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 10, 2016

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

@Breidr would like to play. How nice y'all are already on EP.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Breidr posted:

@Breidr would like to play. How nice y'all are already on EP.

Invite sent and man I hope you j4g'ed.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

tgidieday posted:

Invite sent and man I hope you j4g'ed.

Accepted, and pardon me If I don't understand. I was supposed to what now?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2408

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
...and this is the part where the saloon falls deadly silent, and all the patrons turn around in their seats to stare at the newcomer, to see if they're the kind that's not liked around here.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 10, 2016

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm on @Lizotte if I can get an EP invite

ashby
Nov 3, 2009
UserID: ashby_koss
Character: Ashby-koss

X' me up

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Hal_2005 posted:

Jesus gently caress this game is grindy. Like, imagine the worst "features" of a KORGRIND, now nix the pedo-race option. How has the 5 raiding guilds lasted this long ? (crippling autism?)

I've been playing this game off and on since launch, and I have never once done any grinding with any character for any duration of time. Like, not even a minute. Never have I felt the need to grind anything. This is unironically the least grindy game in the MMO category that has ever existed. There's exploration credit, and quests hidden off the beaten path and dungeons and skyshards to find and public dungeons and interesting materials gathering and that's not even getting into the basic quests / story or any PvP. It might not be your thing, which I totally understand... but it's not grindy.

I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but, are you sure you're doing this right? What are you trying to do that you end up grinding?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Rough Lobster posted:

The game is considerably less grindy than most MMOs. I've never had to grind on any of my characters. There's enough content to level to max without having to run in circles and kill bears or whatever. And I don't even have the DLCs. In fact if you're doing the majority of quests in an area, the dungeons, and throw some infrequent pvp in, you'll likely be over leveled for a while.

That's actually my complaint...

I love exploration, so I end up waaaaaaay overleveled for whatever content I'm supposed to be doing in terms of quest line. And ESO unfortunately has that dumb old-fashioned XP and loot "cliff" - if you're too high level, you get no XP and no loot from the mob. So killing mobs is a literal waste of time. It's boring as hell not to get any loot. I'm not asking for GW2's always-on scaling loot stuff, just whatever tiny dribble of low-level loot and XP I should get from a mob 6 levels lower. Because I'm always overleveled.

No idea why games do that, and I had hoped that poo poo died a deserved death in game making years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The good news is when you hit vet levels, any vet content still gives exp and loot. I was waay overleveled for some of the silver/gold content and instill found it worthwhile to do all the quests. Mostly because of skill points and completionism, but the exp was nice.

E: also if you're over leveled for an area, kills won't give anything, but exploration and turning in quests still will.

• Locked thread