Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The man really does not like star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Ape of Naples posted:

You know my one gripe leading up to TFA was Kylo's lightsaber. But looking back on his character it's kinda the kind of lightsaber he'd have.
I was really surprised to see those two side bits actually served a purpose though when he pokes Finn in the shoulder. Given how many lightsaber fights end up in a pushing contest with the blades locked together, just turning yours a bit to stab the other guy is kind of genius. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His lightsaber isn't made right and he needs them to vent extra energy too, or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The man really does not like star wars

Supposedly he gave a really nice speech on the last day of shooting about how much Star Wars means to him.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

synthetik posted:

There's two scenes earlier in the movie where they offhandedly mention how powerful the bowcaster is.

Three. And there only needed to be one.

As far as sanitation/janitor - it was only there for a stupid throw-away line "does this thing have a trash compactor?" because ha ha ha remember that from the first one?

The movie was rather dumb w/re to fan service.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Aphrodite posted:

His lightsaber isn't made right and he needs them to vent extra energy too, or something like that.

Yeah they through a bone to KotOR fans with that, suggesting that his Lightsaber has a cracked Kyber crystal and that the design in and of itself is something that they were able to crudely assemble based off a design from Malachor V, which is a planet from KotOR 2.

But they also mostly probably thought it looked cool.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I was really surprised to see those two side bits actually served a purpose though when he pokes Finn in the shoulder. Given how many lightsaber fights end up in a pushing contest with the blades locked together, just turning yours a bit to stab the other guy is kind of genius. :v:

Yup, that moment completely redeemed the design for me. It wasn't a stupid gimmicky thing any more that tried too hard, but actually did something, which made it cool again.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Xenoletum posted:

Yeah they through a bone to KotOR fans with that, suggesting that his Lightsaber has a cracked Kyber crystal and that the design in and of itself is something that they were able to crudely assemble based off a design from Malachor V, which is a planet from KotOR 2.

I'm glad they didn't explain all of this in the movie, though. One of the problems in the prequels is the desire to explain every single little thing, and it just gets stupid and wastes time.

No one knew what the Clone Wars were after watching the original movie, and that was ok. All we knew was that Anakin and Obi-Wan fought, and Obi-Wan was a general who served Leia's father. We didn't need a scene explaining everything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ferrule posted:

As far as sanitation/janitor - it was only there for a stupid throw-away line "does this thing have a trash compactor?" because ha ha ha remember that from the first one?

I thought it made perfect sense that he was in sanitation. Who else has total access to everything in a facility? Somebody's gotta tidy up the floors in that high-security area.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenoletum posted:

That's always the case. 90% of Star Wars technical lore is to justify something they thought looked cool, or was inconsistent because of 70s technology.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought it made perfect sense that he was in sanitation. Who else has total access to everything in a facility? Somebody's gotta tidy up the floors in that high-security area.

He could've been an engineer or in security or IT and have the same access.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The beam being jagged and kinda sputtering compared to Anakin/Luke/Fin/Rey's adds to Ren as a 'wannabe bad rear end' as somebody in this thread put it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ferrule posted:

He could've been an engineer or in security or IT and have the same access.

Yes but that's not as funny when Han asks him what he did.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Correct. Also, being in sanitation doesn't mean he was literally a janitor slinging a mop, people.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

rydiafan posted:

Correct. Also, being in sanitation doesn't mean he was literally a janitor slinging a mop, people.

Yes. I know.

Aphrodite posted:

Or when he asks if there's a trash compactor on the Starkiller because tee hee hee remember that from the first one? OMG!

Which is the only reason he's in "sanitation" - another dumb call-back to the first film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can make that joke with any job. Everyone knows where to put the trash.

He's in sanitation because it's the lowest job in the world.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

Finn was a member of the First Order Mafia! :tinfoil:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

muscles like this? posted:

Supposedly he gave a really nice speech on the last day of shooting about how much money Star Wars means to him.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Aphrodite posted:

They can make that joke with any job. Everyone knows where to put the trash.

He's in sanitation because it's the lowest job in the world.

Star Wars needs lots of jokes.

half the script should have been in the trash

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Andohz posted:

AFAIR at that point everyone knew who he was (which is why he's there, his knowledge of the shield system) and what we see in the beginning was his first combat mission. I just assumed the sanitation work was part of his military duties during training..

I don't remember him telling them all that he was actually storm trooper, just that he worked for the Empire. I figured it was continuing his theme of basically lying his rear end off to everyone in the movie, constantly, in order to get out of a jam. He lies to the other storm troopers in the beginning about transferring a prisoner, then lies that he was a bigshot rebel to escape, and now he's lying to Han he wasn't one of the really bad guys, honest, I just did busywork and certainly was never part of any massacres. The dude managed to bullshit his way across the entire movie to all parties involved.

I could be wrong though, I watched it once and the audio in the theater was pretty bad so I may have missed a line.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

In Phantasm 2 theres a scene in a crematorium where the camera focuses for a while on this guy sweeping up ashes and bits of bone before funneling it all into a plastic bag. Just barely visible in the corner of the screen is the name of the deceased: Sam Raimi.

Also not really a little thing but after finally watching the Phantasm sequels I really liked how consistent the characters and story line were between each movie. I don't think I've seen any other horror series that kept up the quality so well with out going into "Villain X in SPACE" territory.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

deoju posted:

The beam being jagged and kinda sputtering compared to Anakin/Luke/Fin/Rey's adds to Ren as a 'wannabe bad rear end' as somebody in this thread put it.

See, that's what I liked about it. Because the beam was unstable, just like Kylo. It looked cool, sure, but that was pretty much entirely a cover for being a sad mess on the inside. It was kind of a nice touch, I thought.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Rare Collectable posted:

In Phantasm 2 theres a scene in a crematorium where the camera focuses for a while on this guy sweeping up ashes and bits of bone before funneling it all into a plastic bag. Just barely visible in the corner of the screen is the name of the deceased: Sam Raimi.

Also not really a little thing but after finally watching the Phantasm sequels I really liked how consistent the characters and story line were between each movie. I don't think I've seen any other horror series that kept up the quality so well with out going into "Villain X in SPACE" territory.

I figure that this is probably why you're watching them right now, but on the chance that you didn't already know I've got bad news about Angus Scrimm.

The Phantasm series is great in that it starts in this very dreamy, nightmarish setting that gets progressively weirder as the series goes on. Continuity starts going out the window but there are certain constants that always pop up no matter what. I'd almost compare it to Mad Max in that Coscarelli seems to know the big points to hit but is willing to fudge the details of everything else to make it work. Phantasm V is supposedly looking for a distributor, but it's also the first one not directed by Coscarelli so I don't know how I feel about that. The special effects looked awful in the trailer (lots of bad, John Dies At The End style CGI that looks like something that debuted on the SyFy channel) but if it's got Reggie, Mike and the Tall Man's last show I'll probably give it a watch anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

I don't remember him telling them all that he was actually storm trooper, just that he worked for the Empire. I figured it was continuing his theme of basically lying his rear end off to everyone in the movie, constantly, in order to get out of a jam. He lies to the other storm troopers in the beginning about transferring a prisoner, then lies that he was a bigshot rebel to escape, and now he's lying to Han he wasn't one of the really bad guys, honest, I just did busywork and certainly was never part of any massacres. The dude managed to bullshit his way across the entire movie to all parties involved.

I could be wrong though, I watched it once and the audio in the theater was pretty bad so I may have missed a line.

Poe knew, and he told Rey in that confession scene.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wild T posted:

He definitely did not take part in at least one massacre. Also, he is quite distressed by having lied to Rey about his affiliation, he is nowhere close to being a habitual liar.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Finn basically gets the Han Solo treatment from ANH, in that he's a rouge/scoundrel or in this case deserter/liar/coward who in the end finds redemption and a sense of purpose. Him lying all the time and running away constantly and then coming clean/sticking around/running to the fight is his character arc following the same path as Solo's in the first film.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Ferrule posted:

I feel like TFA is better for people who have never seen a Star Wars movie before, because they don't have to be annoyed at the callbacks which otherwise are thematically consistent and make sense.

I'm sure any private in the military would love to throw part of their chain of command into the garbage.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Heres Hank posted:

I feel like TFA is better for people who have never seen a Star Wars movie before, because they don't have to be annoyed at the callbacks which otherwise are thematically consistent and make sense.

I'm sure any private in the military would love to throw part of their chain of command into the garbage.

He also guns down his former compatriots with gleeful abandon and doesn't bother to mention the superweapon until after it gets used. His character is all over the place.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

He also guns down his former compatriots with gleeful abandon and doesn't bother to mention the superweapon until after it gets used. His character is all over the place.

He literally just got there.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Nice to know that The Lion King got its art inspiration from such varied sources:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...=10&authorName=

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Plucky Brit posted:

Nice to know that The Lion King got its art inspiration from such varied sources:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...=10&authorName=

This was part of the promotion when it came out in Denmark. Like, literally every critic was all fawning over the Triumph des Willens quotes. On a film techincal level, naturally. Not a nazi level. There were interviews with whoever lead animators getting into details about the lighting and the camera angles and poo poo. I'm saying even if it was supposed to be subtle, it wasn't.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
That was because the sequence was designed by dane Jørgen Klubien. And we love to wank our little patriotic wiener every chance we get.

Jørgen is a cool and talented guy though.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Trump posted:

That was because the sequence was designed by dane Jørgen Klubien. And we love to wank our little patriotic wiener every chance we get.

Jørgen is a cool and talented guy though.

I wouldn't be too proud of the guy who designed shots in Triumph of the Will.

I know, I know. Denmark and the Danes are super awesome.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's not particularly subtle, but because I am a dumbarse I only just saw it.

In 'A Matter of Loaf and Death', when Gromit goes to the womans house to give her purse back and discovers her murderous scheme, as he is walking up to the front door there is a shot of a tree with "F+G" in a heart carved intro it. The womans dog, and Gromit's love interest is called Fluffy. Also, Fluffy's bed is made out of the same cardboard box that Gromit cuts eyes out of to hide from the penguin in 'The Wrong Trousers'.

In other Aardman not-really-subtle-stuff I liked, in Flushed Away, the World Cup final is between England and Germany, we miss most of the game due to plot shenanigans, but during the credits there is a shot of a newspaper saying "England lose on penalties". Which is always funny.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I just want to take this opportunity to mention that Flushed Away is super underrated.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Unmature posted:

I just want to take this opportunity to mention that Flushed Away is super underrated.

Seconded.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Despite the show's name, the opening to It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia takes place entirely at night.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the mighty morphin power rangers, the leader is named Zordon and their machines are called Zords

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
In Jurassic World, both Owen and Hoskins wear a knife at the back of their respective belts. Hoskins has a large combat bowie knife(significantly blade heavy) that hangs perpendicular to his belt. It practically yells "Hey! look at my big swinging dickknife!" but would be very awkward to draw from its sheath .

Owen, on the other hand, uses a smaller, more evenly balanced knife that is kept in a scout sheath for quick and easy use. I also like that even when his shirt is untucked, he keeps it clear of the knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In Hellboy, Kroenen's nifty little mechanical hand is the replacement for the one that he got blown off in the beginning of the movie.