Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Faerie Fortune posted:

So my 11 year old nephew just got Steam and I want to fill his library with some fun, good games for him to play as a nice little surprise for him when he next boots up his laptop! Its not the best laptop in the world so it can't run anything new and shiny, but he likes building/crafting games like Minecraft and Terraria, and he's into Five Nights at Freddy's as well so I grabbed him Spooky's House of Jumpscares since its free. Is there anything else age-appropriate that'd run on a 5+ year old laptop?

Portal. Some of the older final fantasies before they turned into turbo-nonsense. That minecraft telltale game. Age of Empire 2 HD. Overlord. Maybe some skyrim or oblivion. Start him early on Dark Souls.

edit: By that age I was also playing some slightly shootier stabbier stuff but I don't know whether we're going for age appropriate in terms of what a mother would want or what an 11 year old could probably deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Faerie Fortune posted:

So my 11 year old nephew just got Steam and I want to fill his library with some fun, good games for him to play as a nice little surprise for him when he next boots up his laptop! Its not the best laptop in the world so it can't run anything new and shiny, but he likes building/crafting games like Minecraft and Terraria, and he's into Five Nights at Freddy's as well so I grabbed him Spooky's House of Jumpscares since its free. Is there anything else age-appropriate that'd run on a 5+ year old laptop?

My nephew loves Cave Story, and rougelites are popular with everyone, so Spelunky would be a good choice. As for cool free games on steam, Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt just got a steam release, and Saira from the Knytt/Within a Deep Forest guy is cool exploration puzzle game I think a 11 year old could get into.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MooCowlian posted:

Portal. Some of the older final fantasies before they turned into turbo-nonsense.

Yep, I was 11 when I fell in love with FF4. I then hooked all my other 11 year old friends on it. Try to introduce him to a simple story game and see if he likes that.

What about Resident Evil Remake?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was absolutely in love with the early Civilization games when I was about 12 or 13. Grab him V or Beyond Earth!

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

There's Lego Worlds as well, it's basically Minecraft but with Lego. Don't know if an old laptop can run it but the recommended specs look pretty low.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kedo posted:

I was absolutely in love with the early Civilization games when I was about 12 or 13. Grab him V or Beyond Earth!

Not Beyond Earth. Civ V or Endless Legend would be good though.

Maybe Cities: Skyline?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Every 11-year-old should own Kerbal Space Program.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Faerie Fortune posted:

The original Rome Total War, maybe Medieval 2. Not building things directly, but instead building up empires always captivates kids.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I'm looking for a game with good, descriptive, localized melee combat system in the vein of Dwarf Fortress, or the combat from the old mmorpg DragonRealms.

Mostly, I want to wield a club/mace and smash some limbs, or have a foe collapse from a bunch of small injuries. Graphics don't matter to me (text based will probably be what I'm looking for.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if there's anything that's QUITE as detailed as Dwarf Fortress. NEO Scavenger might be worth a look - you don't really have control over where your attacks hit, but damage is tracked by location and it also considers things like blood loss and broken bones.

IVAN is an older Roguelike with a fairly intricate combat/material system that allows you to do some pretty Dwarf Fortress-y stuff like beat opponents with your own severed arm. It's kind of brutally, unfairly hard (by design), though, so you might not really get to experiment with it much before you get sick of dying all the time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have an urge to play a shop/merchant game, a la Recettear. Any suggestions?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tim Peters posted:

I'm looking for a game with good, descriptive, localized melee combat system in the vein of Dwarf Fortress, or the combat from the old mmorpg DragonRealms.

Mostly, I want to wield a club/mace and smash some limbs, or have a foe collapse from a bunch of small injuries. Graphics don't matter to me (text based will probably be what I'm looking for.)

Fallout tracks per limb damage. 4, NV, and 3 all do this. I'm pretty sure 2 did as well.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you don't mind a mobile game with optional IAP come join us in Shop Heroes. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if there's anything that's QUITE as detailed as Dwarf Fortress. NEO Scavenger might be worth a look - you don't really have control over where your attacks hit, but damage is tracked by location and it also considers things like blood loss and broken bones.

IVAN is an older Roguelike with a fairly intricate combat/material system that allows you to do some pretty Dwarf Fortress-y stuff like beat opponents with your own severed arm. It's kind of brutally, unfairly hard (by design), though, so you might not really get to experiment with it much before you get sick of dying all the time.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've played NEO Scavenger and all of the Fallouts. I will give IVAN a try.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any recommendations for multiplayer party games? There's a projector, 4 360 controllers, and a Sandy Bridge laptop with IGP to run it.

I have a couple already, including Serious Sam, Quake 3 (oh yeah), Metal Slug, and Mario Kart (GC), but any other suggestions for those platforms would be great to have some backup options.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tim Peters posted:

Have you given UnReal World a try? I recommend it with the caveat that it's one of those games where while it can generate amazing stories it can also be a slog to play.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

Have you given UnReal World a try? I recommend it with the caveat that it's one of those games where while it can generate amazing stories it can also be a slog to play.

I've tried it, and you are correct, it was a real slog.

Now that these recommendations are coming in, I realize I may have already played through my options

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Holy Potatoes

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

mobby_6kl posted:

Any recommendations for multiplayer party games? There's a projector, 4 360 controllers, and a Sandy Bridge laptop with IGP to run it.

I have a couple already, including Serious Sam, Quake 3 (oh yeah), Metal Slug, and Mario Kart (GC), but any other suggestions for those platforms would be great to have some backup options.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, you just need the laptop and the printed defusal manual. It's incredible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mobby_6kl posted:

N64 emulator? :cheeky:

Magicka & Helldivers.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jackbox Party Pack 1 and 2

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is more of a stretch than the other stuff people have suggested so far, but Cook, Serve, Delicious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Danger Mahoney posted:

Jackbox Party Pack 1 and 2
Some of these might not work so great for non-native speakers. Edit: Eh I think I didn't finish writing this before posting actually :downs: anyway, there are certainly games that would work great anyway and I'll give these a try too.

Geektox posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, you just need the laptop and the printed defusal manual. It's incredible.
Ok that's a great idea, I've seen their demos for VR but didn't know it was working/playable without.

Zaphod42 posted:

N64 emulator? :cheeky:

Magicka & Helldivers.
I got Dolphin running already for GC (Wii games seem to stutter so far) but I've had N64 before and Mario Kart and Goldeneye were quite popular. Any other games to check out for either of these consoles?

Helldrivers look fun, gonna get that too.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 14, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LLSix posted:

If you don't mind a mobile game with optional IAP come join us in Shop Heroes. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

I started a shop yesterday and it is pretty fun, will see how it pans out.

Tagra posted:

Holy Potatoes

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks all!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I want to find a game that plays like Mega Man Zero plays when you're playing with the sword if that makes sense.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Any games similar to the Silent Hunter series?

Doesn't need to be a sub game, but that style of paperdoll damage and earning reputationbux to upgrade your equipment, weapons, ship, crew, etc. FTL was fun, but I'm hoping for something more campaign like than a single mad rush to the end.

I tried Silent Hunter Online once. Once.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I played infamous, Infamous 2, Infamous Second Son, and I need more.

I have prototype and prototype 2.

I do not have an XBox, no crackdown for me.

What other good games are there that are similar?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

khy posted:

I played infamous, Infamous 2, Infamous Second Son, and I need more.

I have prototype and prototype 2.

I do not have an XBox, no crackdown for me.

What other good games are there that are similar?
Saints Row 4 and Gat Out of Hell.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there an RPG out there with super deep character and equipment customization options? I'm loving Shadowrun Hong Kong but the equipment customization leaves much to be desired. Modern or sci-fi, but not Jagged Alliance 2 - I played the poo poo out of that already.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

Is there an RPG out there with super deep character and equipment customization options? I'm loving Shadowrun Hong Kong but the equipment customization leaves much to be desired. Modern or sci-fi, but not Jagged Alliance 2 - I played the poo poo out of that already.

How "RPG" do you want it to be? STALKER: Call of Pripyat has some pretty heavy weapon/armour customization options and basically the whole game is built around tailoring your loadout since there's no levels/experience or anything.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How "RPG" do you want it to be? STALKER: Call of Pripyat has some pretty heavy weapon/armour customization options and basically the whole game is built around tailoring your loadout since there's no levels/experience or anything.

That would work, but I was hoping something not first person so I don't have to worry about my 3d accelerator overheating.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Are there any games like Pokemon but with deeper RPG elements and mechanics? I've been helping my seven year old play through Alpha Sapphire and I like the idea, but it's a little on the simple side for my taste. Ideally, it would be something on 3DS, but I'm also open to PC or console if necessary.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Are there any games like Pokemon but with deeper RPG elements and mechanics? I've been helping my seven year old play through Alpha Sapphire and I like the idea, but it's a little on the simple side for my taste. Ideally, it would be something on 3DS, but I'm also open to PC or console if necessary.

Not necessarily for children, but Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS is essentially the monster collection aspect of Pokemon with more traditional JRPG mechanics such as stat and equipment management.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Probottt posted:

Not necessarily for children, but Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS is essentially the monster collection aspect of Pokemon with more traditional JRPG mechanics such as stat and equipment management.
Yeah, I meant for me not for my daughter. Sorry for being unclear. Just looked this up and it sounds perfect. And it's only $20 on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And while it's not a deeper game I do think your daughter would like Yokai Watch when she's done devouring Pokemon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

HairyManling posted:

As Probottt said there are the Mega Ten games, but they may be too hard for a seven year old. Also in some cases maybe not appropriate. (Hello Mara, my old friend...)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 19, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
When I was younger I quite liked squad tactical (turn based or real time with pause) games, but as free time got less and less abundant I've pretty much gotten out of them to the point where I don't feel very familiar with playing them anymore. I just recently discovered Door Kickers which so far has been a really good way to ease back into tactical games that I can play for just a few minutes if I have just a few minutes, or hours if I have hours.

Are there any other entry-level type tactical games people would recommend? I used to love playing JA2 but it feels like a huge time commitment to play now. Since Door Kickers is already QCB focused something that is mostly battles out in the open would be the best.

e: Also I guess I prefer to play from a top-down perspective, not first or third person.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 20, 2016

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are there any other entry-level type tactical games people would recommend? I

Have you played the Firaxis XCOM reboot (Enemy Unknown and the expansion pack Enemy Within)?

Very good squad combat, and with the sequel (XCOM 2) coming out in a month, you can either spend full price on the latest and greatest, or get the EU/EW set for super cheap.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Steamworld Heist has been getting some hype lately as a good lightweight tactical squad combat game. Haven't played it, myself.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Have you played the Firaxis XCOM reboot (Enemy Unknown and the expansion pack Enemy Within)?

I bought this and the expansion stuff a while ago and tried to play it but the base management part immediately took me out of it for some reason. I should probably try again, thanks for reminding me :)

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Steamworld Heist has been getting some hype lately as a good lightweight tactical squad combat game. Haven't played it, myself.

It seems like this hasn't been released on Steam yet?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

When I was younger I quite liked squad tactical (turn based or real time with pause) games, but as free time got less and less abundant I've pretty much gotten out of them to the point where I don't feel very familiar with playing them anymore. I just recently discovered Door Kickers which so far has been a really good way to ease back into tactical games that I can play for just a few minutes if I have just a few minutes, or hours if I have hours.

Are there any other entry-level type tactical games people would recommend? I used to love playing JA2 but it feels like a huge time commitment to play now. Since Door Kickers is already QCB focused something that is mostly battles out in the open would be the best.

e: Also I guess I prefer to play from a top-down perspective, not first or third person.

Depending on your tolerance for anime WW2 there's Valkyria Chronicles which is third person but pretty entry level and arcade-y in its focus on speed over perfect execution. It rewards you for being aggressive and constantly pushing.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 20, 2016