Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zero VGS posted:

If you can manage $55, I can't sing the praises of this thing enough: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J4ZOAW
That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for detail drying cars and motorcycles that is even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...wer+motorcycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for detail drying cars and motorcycles that is even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...wer+motorcycles

That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for detail drying large cars and trucks that is even better.

http://www.amazon.com/INTRODUCED-Ma...E8KTKBTJK59XTBS

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Been looking for a 30ft hose for ages. Cheers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for detail drying large cars and trucks that is even better.

http://www.amazon.com/INTRODUCED-Ma...E8KTKBTJK59XTBS

That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for stripping the rust off of old trucks.

http://i.imgur.com/cQjk4ug.jpg

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fauxtool posted:

Yea but thats $400 on "sale", the other one is $75 and is still strong enough to piss off people across the room like any decent dust blower should.:c00lbutt:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

That thing is good but they make a higher powered version for stripping the rust off of old trucks.

http://i.imgur.com/cQjk4ug.jpg

Is that the 7770 GHz Edition? I totally forgot about that piece of garbage, it pretty much set the tone for AMD's slide into irrelevance.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is that the 7770 GHz Edition? I totally forgot about that piece of garbage, it pretty much set the tone for AMD's slide into irrelevance.
Especially weird considering the card right below it was the 750ti of its time :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

7970 GHz. The only single-GPU AMD blower to out-loud the ridiculously noisy GTX 480.

But yeah the 7770 GHz was a depressingly bad GPU. I worked in a shop a couple years ago (briefly) that had three on the shelf that just never sold. They were there when I started (and had been for half a year) and they were still there when I left six months later.

e: Haven't done Crossfire since the 5000 series. Two 290s from two different manufacturers (XFX and ASUS) should crossfire together fine, right?

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 11, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

7970 GHz. The only single-GPU AMD blower to out-loud the ridiculously noisy GTX 480.

But yeah the 7770 GHz was a depressingly bad GPU. I worked in a shop a couple years ago (briefly) that had three on the shelf that just never sold. They were there when I started (and had been for half a year) and they were still there when I left six months later.

e: Haven't done Crossfire since the 5000 series. Two 290s from two different manufacturers (XFX and ASUS) should crossfire together fine, right?

It still cracks me up to no end that the 7850 I paid $150 for >3 years ago is still a current-gen card and is still worth around $100. I'm actually kinda surprised they finally retired the 7950 while keeping the 7850. The 7950 really held its own pretty well, even at 4K.

You basically know what you're getting into with blower coolers. My IceQ 7850 and PowerColor PCS+ TurboDuo OC 280 (7950) have aftermarket coolers and both were perfectly acceptable cards. My blower 780 Ti can be noisy if you goose the fans, but it's easier to put on my headphones than to increase my framerates, and it's what I could get my hands on.

I'm trying to flip the 7850, R9 280, and a GT 640 so I can build out my RVZ01. Been trying CL but I'm thinking of just eBaying them at this point.

290 is the generation where DMA-based CrossFire was introduced, and it's absolutely bulletproof. It's not the cards talking to each other, it's the chips talking to the PCIe bus, and if something isn't working it's just broken.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 11, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Kazinsal posted:

Blows my mind that the much more impressive 7790/Bonaire/Bonaire XT wasn't ported over to the 300 series yet the 7770 was. I want to suspect it's for the same reason those 7770s stayed on those shelves all that time, but still, wow.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The R7 260X is an upgraded version of the HD 7790, and the R7 260 is a cutdown version. The R7 360 is literally just a rebrand of the R7 360.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

The R7 260X is an upgraded version of the HD 7790, and the R7 260 is a cutdown version. The R7 360 is literally just a rebrand of the R7 360.

I could have sworn the R7 360 was Cape Verde XT, oops. Still doesn't explain why the 360 isn't a 260X

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Eletriarnation posted:

Yes, but you can probably go higher. I have a 2500K with a normal CM Hyper 212 on it and stock voltage and I have been running 4.4GHz stable for years.

And I'm running 4.4Ghz stable on *stock voltage* since January 2012. Jesus this computer's four years old and the only thing I've done to it since is put a 970 and a larger-cap SSD in it. :aaa:

EDIT: Yeah, this conversation was done two pages ago. Read buffer first, *then* post. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 11, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With an i5 2500k, ssd and an amd HD6870 would I be able to power a 34" 1440p ultra wide monitor and be able to play games like diablo 3 successfully?

Should I wait for these next gen or graphics cards or is a better value finding one of the evga 970 refurbished cards?

Also my power supply is a 600w from a decent company I think (built this 4-5 years ago)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 11, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sellouts posted:

With an i5 2500k, ssd and an amd HD6870 would I be able to power a 34" 1440p ultra wide monitor and be able to play games like diablo 3 successfully?

Yes, driving the monitor and rendering a game like Diablo 3 is not particularly intensive and that card is still more than enough.

However, the Radeon 6000 series is officially EOL'd as of Thanksgiving 2015, and AMD is no longer releasing driver updates. Anything that doesn't work won't be fixed.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fury Nano drops to an MSRP of $499 effective immediately

Interesting stuff. If I'm wrong, that puts it ahead of the 980 on price/performance, doesn't it?

e: I had forgotten, isn't there a Sapphire custom version dropping, or is that the X?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 11, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

NewFatMike posted:

Fury Nano drops to an MSRP of $499 effective immediately

Interesting stuff. If I'm wrong, that puts it ahead of the 980 on price/performance, doesn't it?

Yes it would put it right on. A OC'd 980 should be directly comparable and custom cards can be had for exactly $499.99 for 980's. Its probably the most comparable price/performance match in the lineup now. Except for the fps/inch category

So so close AMD. Just another $50 and you'll actually have a card in the lineup actually legitimately worth buying over another to a neutral buyer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wanna see Fury sales numbers.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Wanna see Fury sales numbers.

I wanna know who owns one in this thread :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

HBM is cool and different and the card probably has all sorts of different bottlenecks than other GPUs. I'd bet that you can get away with all sorts of memory-intensive functions that would bring a normal card to its knees, but I'm sure there's some other stuff that it struggles with compared to conventional fast -clock narrow-bus GDDR5 GPUs.

So yes, whoever owns one here, post more about it.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Twerk from Home posted:

So yes, whoever owns one here, post more about it.
I've got a Fury X and I'm quite happy insofar as it's revealed how CPU bottlenecked certain titles are. Haven't noticed any painfully obvious HBM changes (good or bad) but then I don't have a 980 Ti for more direct testing. Otherwise it's a card and it very effectively draws pictures of things, what specifically do you want to know?

e: I really hope Kaby Lake actually surpasses Haswell.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So apparently AMD has already started shipping Polaris from the foundries. That's a bit earlier than expected isn't it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Drakhoran posted:

So apparently AMD has already started shipping Polaris from the foundries. That's a bit earlier than expected isn't it?

They're shipping the full chip too if that manifest is true? Wanna meet that chip.

I notice Newegg hasn't gotten the memo on the Nano price drop yet; they usually adjust instantly. I'm sure no one is buying Nanos or Furies at all so they need to clear out stock, but maybe some of that is prepping for Polaris.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Drakhoran posted:

Probably the most interesting 72 hours AMD have had in some time.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ZobarStyl posted:

I've got a Fury X and I'm quite happy insofar as it's revealed how CPU bottlenecked certain titles are. Haven't noticed any painfully obvious HBM changes (good or bad) but then I don't have a 980 Ti for more direct testing. Otherwise it's a card and it very effectively draws pictures of things, what specifically do you want to know?

e: I really hope Kaby Lake actually surpasses Haswell.

You are the first person in this whole thread who has ever said they owned one in the past 7 months, be proud

I actually don't have a lot of questions other than perhaps, hows the coin whine? I hear bad things but there are so few user reports I dont know if its universal or not

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

Fury X took 7.5 months to ship after Fiji XT samples first appeared on Zauba, so going by that we're looking at late August for Polaris.

Pretty much what you'd expect for a vague "mid-2016" release target.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

repiv posted:

Fury X took 7.5 months to ship after Fiji XT samples first appeared on Zauba, so going by that we're looking at late August for Polaris.

Pretty much what you'd expect for a vague "mid-2016" release target.

I'd hazard that's full Polaris though, tiny and medium Polaris might come earlier as they'd be much less supply restricted, so maybe a staggered release starting in May/June till August? That rolls nicely from Bristol and into Summit release.

Still nothing on Pascal except mockups, what the hell Nvidia.

Zero VGS posted:

They're shipping the full chip too if that manifest is true? Wanna meet that chip.

I notice Newegg hasn't gotten the memo on the Nano price drop yet; they usually adjust instantly. I'm sure no one is buying Nanos or Furies at all so they need to clear out stock, but maybe some of that is prepping for Polaris.

Fury is not going to age well at all in comparison to Polaris. If AMDs new R7 450 class product is meeting a Tahiti LE in performance then the Furies are going to expensive niche relics, and that's if they're not competing with a die shrinked HBM1 descendant in the upper range. Maybe their price will crater as a result?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I was tempted when I'd had enough with my 970. Big reason I didn't is I've got friends with a 290 to pair with the one in my case and I'm cheap sometimes. I was real tempted at launch too, but the roulette cooler isn't my thing.

Still kind of want a Fury X or Fury because drat are those some sexy coolers. A Fury X would be a fun collectible, but I'd want one with a refined cooler and a better chip under it.

Just waiting for Polaris really.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

I could have sworn the R7 360 was Cape Verde XT, oops. Still doesn't explain why the 360 isn't a 260X

I guess AMD is either saving all the X releases for R9 series GPUs. Which is good.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I would have owned one if there was an SKU that opened at 500. :smith:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

I'd hazard that's full Polaris though, tiny and medium Polaris might come earlier as they'd be much less supply restricted, so maybe a staggered release starting in May/June till August? That rolls nicely from Bristol and into Summit release.

Still nothing on Pascal except mockups, what the hell Nvidia.

Here you go, now you can stop worrying.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm of the opinion that my $700 980 Ti is going to be worth like $300 after Pascal comes out. With all this talk of bigger gains, bigger gains, bigger gains... I feel like I'm hosed when everything is said and done.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

I'm of the opinion that my $700 980 Ti is going to be worth like $300 after Pascal comes out. With all this talk of bigger gains, bigger gains, bigger gains... I feel like I'm hosed when everything is said and done.

Did you buy it as an investment? It's still going to be a very good card even if Pascal is twice as fast and you are getting that performance right now instead of waiting. Would you rather see Pascal be only a 20% bump just so your current card can keep more of it's value? I mean, we went through that with AMD's cards and I don't hear AMD fans begging for them to just keep re-re-re-releasing the same cards as they have before.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I just want to upgrade to the latest and greatest comes out. Eventually I want to pick up a 3440x1440 100Hz G-Sync monitor. Then with all this talk of VR and and jazz, being able to drive a VR set at 90+Hz would be fantastic. I'm hoping that Pascal can do all that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Did you buy it as an investment? It's still going to be a very good card even if Pascal is twice as fast and you are getting that performance right now instead of waiting. Would you rather see Pascal be only a 20% bump just so your current card can keep more of it's value? I mean, we went through that with AMD's cards and I don't hear AMD fans begging for them to just keep re-re-re-releasing the same cards as they have before.

Video cards are rentals, not investments. Although I've got to say AMD keeping the older stuff good is pretty nice. I'd rather lose a bit in performance early and get more later than the reverse.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I tend to do a full upgrade every four years and a full graphics upgrade every two. I usually expect my previous graphics to pay for a quarter of my graphics upgrade.

Three years ago I bought an i7-3820 and board, and two gently used 5850s. The 5850s probably weren't great at the time out the value was there in my mind. Last January I bought an R9 290 during AMD's panic price drop. Now I'm buying another off a friend for ridiculously cheap to hold me over until the next upgrade, which will probably be Skylake (or its tick, if that's out in January next year) or something-E and Pascal. That should hold power and some value for three or four years.

Just my thoughts and experiences on buying parts and holding their value and stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xthetenth posted:

Video cards are rentals, not investments. Although I've got to say AMD keeping the older stuff good is pretty nice. I'd rather lose a bit in performance early and get more later than the reverse.
I don't think he means investment in the literal financial sense, just as a metaphor for keeping it a long time.

Video cards are definitely depreciating assets though...brb gotta me dig up that BNIB Voodoo 5500 I have somewhere as my retirement nest egg!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I got burned on the 780ti tank as well but ... its only because Maxwell performed so well. So I can't complain. I hope the same thing happens with my 980ti

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I'm still on my 560ti that was almost a free upgrade. The card was £140 and came with 3 games. Sold my old BFG 9800gt oc for £50 and two of the games that came with it for £60. I kept the last game as it was batman and I really wanted to play it, but I would have broken even didn't.

Now it's worth about £40, still love it though. Which Actually brings me to a question. Been considering reapplying its thermal compound though as it does reach 80c at full pelt and I don't know what the lifespan of the stock compound would be but I'm guessing 5 years is a reasonable amount of time to make it worth doing? It's an Asus 560ti direct cuii top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

slidebite posted:

I don't think he means investment in the literal financial sense, just as a metaphor for keeping it a long time.

Video cards are definitely depreciating assets though...brb gotta me dig up that BNIB Voodoo 5500 I have somewhere as my retirement nest egg!

I mean they're rentals in that when budgeting you really want to be looking at cost/year. So trying to stretch a $600 card for four years doesn't look great at all compared to getting a $300 card every two most of the time, because the first one holds non-zero value, and because the second card usually noticeably outperforms the $700 card, which makes up for the $700 card performing better early.