Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LFK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbL0jIl-NY8

Doug's doing Shyamalan month, and starts it off with "Why do Good Directors go Bad?"

Highlights include: ignoring the Wachowskis' work after the Matrix sequels, dismissing the fact that Woody Allen is a rapist as "a rocky personal life", and the perfect line "Remember when the Coen brothers made a long line of bad films?"

No Doug. No I don't. Unless that long line is The Ladykillers which still doesn't stack up as "bad" compared to Coppola going from Godfather to Jack.

Obviously the Coen brothers made a long line of bad films, I mean in the 20 odd films that they have written/directed/produced they only recieved 89 award nominations for 9 of them. Their worst run of films after becoming name talent were Intolerable Cruelty & Ladykillers and even then Intolerable Cruelty was still a pretty solid film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

My mom adores the show Hoarders and I can barely watch it, the show is so deeply depressing and infuriating. Like people will literally argue over keeping a jar of mayo that's like 6 years old.

I think the appeal of Hoarders is that it makes you feel better about yourself and your life, to know that these people are not you.

Reminds me of a video Kyle did about that kind of entertainment....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ZFcx056PQ

EDIT:
I should be more frank: I actually loved watching Hoarders, and there used to be a thread about it in TV/IV when it had new episodes.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 10, 2016

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
I will defend The Ladykillers until the day I die. Tom Hanks' turn might be surreal and incredibly awkward, but everything else in that movie is glorious. Solid B+ Coens, which is leagues better than most other poo poo.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Augus posted:

Good directors go bad because they are in fact human and therefore ever-changing and fallible and also like a hundred people work on a film not just the director.
There, you now know the secret and it didn't take 15 minutes either.

Not to mention people like Shyamalan, who got pigeonholed as "The Twist Guy" and spent the next twenty years forcing everything into that mold.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Good directors go "bad" because once you make something awesome, people hold you to that standard, whether or not it's likely you'll be able to keep that poo poo up regularly, just like every other medium.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That and, much like bands, the time and budget of each production is going to wary.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Not to mention people like Shyamalan, who got pigeonholed as "The Twist Guy" and spent the next twenty years forcing everything into that mold.

Not really. Most of the movies he's made since The Village wouldn't even be called twist movies if he hadn't made them.

Unless you're the kind of person who thinks "The force is real, and Luke uses it to blow up the death star" or "The Winter Soldier is Bucky" are Shyamalan Twists.

Mind you, most of the movies he's made since and including Signs ARE really lovely.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Not really. Most of the movies he's made since The Village wouldn't even be called twist movies if he hadn't made them.

I disagree. The Happening is a twist movie.

The twist is that you go in expecting a horror film and instead get a comedy.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

I haven't seen much of his stuff past that, so I could be wrong. At least about the last twenty years part. But it seems like his career has either been "I guess I have to have a twist now" or "I'm not the twist guy anymore."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LFK posted:

Highlights include: ignoring the Wachowskis' work after the Matrix sequels

To be fair, their post-Matrix work is poo poo and nobody saw it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

I disagree. The Happening is a twist movie.

The twist is that you go in expecting a horror film and instead get a comedy.

It was a terrible remake of Maximum Overdrive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, their post-Matrix work is poo poo and nobody saw it.

What about Speed Racer?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What about Speed Racer?

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, their post-Matrix work is poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I haven't seen much of his stuff past that, so I could be wrong. At least about the last twenty years part. But it seems like his career has either been "I guess I have to have a twist now" or "I'm not the twist guy anymore."

Most of his films are not twist films at this point. He made, like, two or three and people have been making that joke ever since.

If anything he's more of a horror guy/terrible action adventure movie with child stars guy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Most of his films are not twist films at this point. He made, like, two or three and people have been making that joke ever since.

If anything he's more of a horror guy/terrible action adventure movie with child stars guy.

Nah, 5 of his movies, 6 if you include Devil, have twist endings. Spoilers I guess if saying a movie has a twist counts? Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, The Visit and Devil.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Nah, 5 of his movies, 6 if you include Devil, have twist endings. Spoilers I guess if saying a movie has a twist counts? Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, The Visit and Devil.

drat man now I'm gonna spend the entire movie wondering "Oh man is this the twist?" Gonna completely ruin it!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

gently caress you, Speed Racer is so loving awesome.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Not every reveal is a twist.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what was the twist in Signs? A twist has to be "you think that A is true, but actually it's B". It's not just "here is a surprise in the plot that you didn't see coming", it has to actually subvert your interpretation to be a twist.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

e X posted:

I'll concede Signs, I guess the whole ending sequence is more of a reveal than a twist.

He isn't ALL twist endings, but he's rightfully known mostly for them because his biggest movies are all twist based

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel you can safely argue that all six of those movies have a twist ending. His other films not so much.

He isn't ALL twist endings, but he's rightfully known mostly for them because his biggest movies are all twist based

Again, what's the twist ending in Signs? "The aliens can be killed by water" isn't a twist; it's a bad reveal that came out of nowhere, but they never led you to specifically believe the opposite. "This random line his wife told him before she died ends up being important" isn't a twist either, that's just clumsy foreshadowing/mysticism.

A twist ending has to be something along the lines of the whole Twilight Zone/Outer Limits cliche of "you thought these were aliens, but actually they're humans". Or something like "you thought this person was a good guy, but actually he's a bad guy". There needs to be an establishment of a false belief in the audience for something to be a twist, it's not just any plot reveal that's pulled out of nowhere.

Idran fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BottledBodhisvata posted:

gently caress you, Speed Racer is so loving awesome.

John Goodman makes everything he's in awesome and he makss Speed Racer great singlehandedly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, Speed Racer was the Wachoski's best movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Alan Moore fans hate it, but I really like the Wachowski's adaptation of V for Vendetta. Sure it's not as good as the comic and they make V less ambiguous and the British government more fascist, but it's still a cool dystopian movie and Stephen Fry is always good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

This is what I'm getting at here. His movies go places you might not predict, or reveal weird new information, but most of them don't absolutely re-contextualize everything you've just seen in the way The Sixth Sense or, to give non-Shyamalan examples The Usual Suspects or Fight Club do.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd give the Wachowski's $200 million again in a heartbeat.

Go make Thundercats or some poo poo guys. Don't do this stupid...Jupiter Ascending poo poo. Go be loud and crazy.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Speed Racer was the Wachoski's best movie.

I'l agree to disagree, Speed Racer make me ill just watching it. The color palette did not agree with my eyes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Each time I watch Speed Racer the more I like it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Go make Thundercats or some poo poo guys. Don't do this stupid...Jupiter Ascending poo poo. Go be loud and crazy.

Jupiter ascending feature Channing Tatum as a space wolfman with angle wings and rocket boots, that movie must be great baked and I already love it. and I am ok with the Wachowski's making big bugget films, w need stuff to watch when weed become legal as Obama's final gently caress you to the republicans.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Don't do this stupid...Jupiter Ascending poo poo. Go be loud and crazy.

How the hell do you want them to be loud and crazy and not realize that's exactly what Jupiter Ascending was?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Jupiter Ascending should've gone full crazy, like Terry Gilliam and Jodorowsky made a space opera. I had really high hopes that it would be that kind of movie. Instead it was just kinda lame and boring.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Conal Cochran posted:

Doug lately has a issue with going on for too long and thinking he's being far more insightful than he actually is.

It does seem like Doug has been trying to be "deep" and "insightful" with his commentaries. He has a video about Santa Claus and he tries to figure out why older kids don't tell younger kids that Santa isn't real and it just seems like he's trying way too hard to be smart.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 11, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want the Wachoskis to do all the adaptations of 70s anime. Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, maybe even Gundam!

Nicholas Cage could play one of the bad guys.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Given the news today, I think Kyle's Man who Fell to Earth review needs a rewatch.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
The Wachoskis Speed Racer is a movie I avoided for years because so many people said it was terrible. When I eventually did watch it I learned that every single one of those people are incapable of appreciating high art. It might be my favorite film? I need to give it a few more tries, and it is flawed (literally every second the monkey is onscreen is torture) but I loved everything it was trying to do.

Of the Wachoski films I've seen, it's the best, at least.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Leal posted:

It does seem like Doug has been trying to be "deep" and "insightful" with his commentaries. He has a video about Santa Clause and he tries to figure out why older kids don't tell younger kids that Santa isn't real.

This has been asked before, but is Doug into model trains?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

I don't understand this meme.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cyron posted:

I don't understand this meme.

Luckily there are resources to help you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

Nah, he couldn't even understand the appeal of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, he couldn't even understand the appeal of Thomas the Tank Engine.

After which I proceeded to play my hand early and sperg about why Thomas is appealing and how I still think the original run adapted from the children's books is a pretty good show. It's me, I'm the autist who likes trains.

• Locked thread