Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
VND-1AA you can go 90ish kph with a std engine 2 ppcs and full jumpjets with dual ams and it gets ppc quirks.

I had that as a niche tonnage build for CW but they are still hot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The match maker keeps putting me on teams full of nothing but sniper players, against teams of nothing but mid-range players. The mid range team never pushes so they just get slowly sniped to death by the long range team because they try to snipe with their medium lasers and can't do any damage. :suicide: I'm still poo poo at this game but I think I've finally reached a point where I'm just slightly better than the really bad random players.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Anyone down to make like small sections of mechs and a quick set of bullets on why something is good or poo poo? I think it should be done especially during sales, IMO.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My crippling autism and painful re-learning process might be useful. Something like:

Light Mechs:
1. Locust - Tiny, very fast scout robot. Good for accomplished speed-trolls.
2. Commando - Bad, boring light mech that can shoot missiles.
3. Spider - Fast and toothless. One variant can carry both ECM and jump jets.
4. Urbanmech - Comedy mascot mech for clowning around in. Can turn all the way around like R2D2.
5. Firestarter - #1 lightweight murder machine.
6. Jenner - #2 lightweight murder machine.
7. Panther - Slow, bad light mech with PPC quirks.
8. Raven - big scout and ECM carrier of choice.

Or yeah?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

Anyone down to make like small sections of mechs and a quick set of bullets on why something is good or poo poo? I think it should be done especially during sales, IMO.

Tujague posted:

My crippling autism and painful re-learning process might be useful. Something like:

Light Mechs:
1. Locust - Tiny, very fast scout robot. Good for accomplished speed-trolls.
2. Commando - Bad, boring light mech that can shoot missiles.
3. Spider - Fast and toothless. One variant can carry both ECM and jump jets.
4. Urbanmech - Comedy mascot mech for clowning around in. Can turn all the way around like R2D2.
5. Firestarter - #1 lightweight murder machine.
6. Jenner - #2 lightweight murder machine.
7. Panther - Slow, bad light mech with PPC quirks.
8. Raven - big scout and ECM carrier of choice.

Or yeah?

we've already got this for lights in the second post, and more will be coming soon!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TeeMerk posted:

VND-1AA you can go 90ish kph with a std engine 2 ppcs and full jumpjets with dual ams and it gets ppc quirks.

I had that as a niche tonnage build for CW but they are still hot garbage

yeah man the thing is just fat with arms that are both low AND wide

it's a bad mech. they should way way way overquirk it

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Devorum posted:

Commandos are so bad that it used to be standard operating procedure to leg any friendlies that dropped in one at the beginning of the match to teach them a lesson.

Is it not anymore?

It also seems the days of squawking are over.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
There should be a Spreadsheet list of categories for each 'mech in the game and their associated recommended builds that were unironically posted itt.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Nuebot posted:

The match maker keeps putting me on teams full of nothing but sniper players, against teams of nothing but mid-range players. The mid range team never pushes so they just get slowly sniped to death by the long range team because they try to snipe with their medium lasers and can't do any damage. :suicide: I'm still poo poo at this game but I think I've finally reached a point where I'm just slightly better than the really bad random players.

This happens frequently, that or pubbies single-file into a fire line repeatedly. These people never respond to chat or voice either, so I am convinced they are bots.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Drythe posted:

Is it not anymore?

It also seems the days of squawking are over.

Sadly, legging friendlies and Squawking are now bannable offences.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Wait, squawk is bannable now? I guess I better stop doing that then

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've reached a crossroads in my adult years and am considering playing MWO again (it was this or alcoholism). It's been about four years since I last logged in, but apparently I have 5000 MC, 2.5 million credits, and several kitted out lunchbacks/K2's. Is this enough to get me rolling in modern meta mechs or am I hosed?

Squawking/alt+f4 for third person being bannable does make me pretty sad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Razzled posted:

Wait, squawk is bannable now? I guess I better stop doing that then

Since when

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

AFAIK it's not a bannable offense, but if GM Patience or whoever gets a hair up their rear end, they'll probably point to the chat logs and say you've been repeatedly spamming in text chat.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Devorum posted:

Orions aren't the worst IS heavy...but they're damned close.

News at 10: Man on Internet Wrong and Bad.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Beet Wagon posted:

I wish I had a reason to pick up some Vindys. I love the way they look, but my understanding is that they are essentially worst-in-class.

I have the St. Ives Blues because it does look cool, but also because you can still sometimes get kills with it and there is basically no greater shame in robotdom than dying to the Vindicator Hero. Whatever the VND chassis lacks, it makes up for in humiliation potential.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are the Wolfhounds worth bothering with at all? Their perks are lackluster and almost nonexistent and they're nothing but samey energy boats. I'm answering my own question here, but I'm just curious if anyone's done anything interesting with them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sard posted:

I have the St. Ives Blues because it does look cool, but also because you can still sometimes get kills with it and there is basically no greater shame in robotdom than dying to the Vindicator Hero. Whatever the VND chassis lacks, it makes up for in humiliation potential.

God drat I think I have enough left over MC for the St. Ives. I'm about to make a terrible decision. I can't help it, I'm addicted to shitmechs.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
arctic cheetahs are seriously retarded. more often than not, i have to drop below 60% before any of my armor is stripped

there is literally no point in piloting another brawly light that isn't an oxide, huggin or a missile boat jenner2

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

teepo posted:

arctic cheetahs are seriously retarded. more often than not, i have to drop below 60% before any of my armor is stripped

there is literally no point in piloting another brawly light that isn't an oxide, huggin or a missile boat jenner2

My only complaint with the Arctic Cheetah is that it's so blessedly forgiving that it's taught me to do things you can't get away with in other mechs, so when I go to play something else I effectively suicide.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Just watched a two groups of pubbies have hilarious meltdowns over in-game VoIP and TK each other. It started because one took the command role and moved his buddies to be with him, which separated the other group. I really need to start recording my games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

Just watched a two groups of pubbies have hilarious meltdowns over in-game VoIP and TK each other. It started because one took the command role and moved his buddies to be with him, which separated the other group. I really need to start recording my games.

My random team just had a meldown because we rushed their base instead of standing around doing nothing and guarding the LURMboat who refused to move :shepface: we lost because they rushed at the same time on the opposite side of the map and were faster by like, a second.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorenus posted:

My only complaint with the Arctic Cheetah is that it's so blessedly forgiving that it's taught me to do things you can't get away with in other mechs, so when I go to play something else I effectively suicide.

Urbanmech training makes you into a god. Elite them and if you already have then refresh yourself.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

DancingShade posted:

Urbanmech training makes you into a god. Elite them and if you already have then refresh yourself.

Urbanmech can mount 3 machine guns, 2 mediums and a large pulse. It's actually not that bad. Still goes 102kph.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

acumen posted:

I've reached a crossroads in my adult years and am considering playing MWO again (it was this or alcoholism). It's been about four years since I last logged in, but apparently I have 5000 MC, 2.5 million credits, and several kitted out lunchbacks/K2's. Is this enough to get me rolling in modern meta mechs or am I hosed?

Squawking/alt+f4 for third person being bannable does make me pretty sad.

FYI- MWO and alcoholism aren't mutually exclusive.

Those robots are a start, but you'll also see at least 2 loyalty robots with cbill boosts in your mech bays. That'll help a bit... Once you save the $$$ up for upgrades and parts.

Squawking is only bannable if one of the GM's didn't get enough fiber or some such.

They actually used F4 for 3rd person view for a while. Never change :pgi: .

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Jumping on the SCR- bandwagon, what variant should I buy third?

I already have Laserprime and Streakcrow. Is SCR-A the correct answer?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Herb Dington posted:

Jumping on the SCR- bandwagon, what variant should I buy third?

I already have Laserprime and Streakcrow. Is SCR-A the correct answer?

I'd get the C, it has the better hardpoints.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Anita Dickinme posted:

19 also said something about a 64bit mumble client at some point that would allow the overlay to work with MWO but I didn't bother looking it up.

Current 1.3.0 development snapshot is x64 and DX11 compatible (For the lazy. Scroll down, blue column.) You just have to put up with it wanting to update nearly every time you start it. It also hooks in with Win10 if you've got that and sends toast notifications for chat messages. Great/Annoying depending on your temperament.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Washout posted:

Urbanmech can mount 3 machine guns, 2 mediums and a large pulse. It's actually not that bad. Still goes 102kph.

gently caress that. 2 lpl or 1 lpl, 3ml. I use the 2 lpl r63 because the arms can be stripped for another dhs. Gimmick option: uac5, 2 ml r63.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Picked up a Misery during the sale, anyone got some not-poo poo builds for it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rayjenkins posted:

Picked up a Misery during the sale, anyone got some not-poo poo builds for it?

2 LPL and an AC/20, all on the same side. Or 2 PPC if you must, but the LPLs are better.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I forgot to link this in the Mumble when I mentioned it that one time we were playing on River City a few hours ago when we heard about David Bowie, so I'll drop it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1mYXVP1Ok.

It's that Brazilian pop star guy who made renditions of David Bowie's music for The Life Aquatic.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015
Bought 3 DWF. What is a good build to skill up these guys in solo queue? I am currently using 4xUAC5 4xERML but thinking about switching to a more long range build like 2xGauss 2xLPL or something. Just too hard to get into a good firing position in these chaotic PUG matches. And with a long range setup I could just hang back and snipe.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What are good builds for dropping with pubbies in general?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Drythe posted:

A mech with an engine and at least one weapon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drythe posted:

Avoid anything that requires your team to be pushing in order for you to be able to shoot mechs, because pubbie teams can't push.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lurmboats, got it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drythe posted:

Lurmboats, got it

Hunchback-4J with LRM-10s is fun to run in pubbie games, but otherwise no, I'd probably just go for medium or better lasers/pulses or ballistics. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Turns out you can buy MC with steam cash so I bought some and haven't used it :shepface: now I have a reason to sell my steam trading cards again I guess. Should I save up for the oxide mastery pack or buy some ugly rear end neon colors?

• Locked thread