Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is this game's engine an utter piece of garbage or what? HD7950 , i5k@4.0ghz, 8gig of RAM. No matter what I set graphics to, I get 20-30 FPS in 8man operations, and sub-60 in most flashpoints, too. Now the latter I can live with but operations are pretty much unplayable, what kind of voodoo PC do you have to have to run them at 60 FPS?

Are you running from an HDD or SSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking of not pressing buttons, I recently switched my Jedi Sentinel to "combat" spec for the first time and was delighted to see that most of its unique abilities are straight replacers for base class abilities. That character's hotbars have never been so clean. I still don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy Vigilance Guardian, but I'm not super annoyed at it anymore. The rotation is pretty simple.

NeurosisHead posted:

Does this game still do the 12x exp for subscribers so you can level on just the story missions?

That was a temporary promotional thing leading up to the new expansion. After that, the whole XP/leveling system in the game got a massive overhaul so that the BASE amount of XP is about 6x what it used to be. On top of that, the new level scaling system prevents most low-level content from "graying out" so you get optimal XP from whatever you decide to do.

A good strategy is to stockpile some XP early on (like right after leaving the newbie planet) by doing heroics, flashpoints, side quests, space missions, PVP, or whatever seems fun, and then go back to doing the class story once you've overleveled it by a decent amount. You'll still get great XP because of the scaling, you won't need to worry about gear if you've picked stuff up from heroics (and you'll have a pile of data crystals to buy upgrades in a pinch) and you can cruise through the rest of the class story uninterrupted and really get your immersion on.

I leveled quite a few alts during the 12x promotion, and now I feel like it was kind of a waste of time, because leveling up NOW is so much faster/easier/more fun. You can now play this game EXTREMELY casually and see all the content you want to see. The old MMO grind is history.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Does this game still do the 12x exp for subscribers so you can level on just the story missions?
As a subscriber, I keep pace with the content toe to toe, by doing only story missions.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Couple random questions:

1. If an auction fails to sell, do you get the full deposit back?

2. Which Sage spec is best for just questing/clearing out groups of enemies quick? Gonna make a Sage my next character once I clear KOTFE on Joriid.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The second part of Ziost is my favorite part of Star Wars and the best looking planet in the game.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Couple random questions:

2. Which Sage spec is best for just questing/clearing out groups of enemies quick? Gonna make a Sage my next character once I clear KOTFE on Joriid.

Not sure about the first, but Telekinesis is definitely the answer to the second.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Couple random questions:

Yep. You get it back either way, but there is a percentage cut taken out when something does sell, and with big sales it can be a big cut.

The only time you lose your deposit is if you cancel an auction when its time is still ticking, and that mechanic is mostly there to prevent people from constantly pulling and relisting their stuff to undercut each other, stressing the servers and making a mess of the economy. It could also make certain types of exploits more difficult.

The deposit is not usually a lot of money, but you do want to make sure you list something right the first time so you don't flush it away.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Shadow is great for leveling because you can stealth past half of the bullshit mobs during quests and heroics.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is this game's engine an utter piece of garbage or what? HD7950 , i5k@4.0ghz, 8gig of RAM. No matter what I set graphics to, I get 20-30 FPS in 8man operations, and sub-60 in most flashpoints, too. Now the latter I can live with but operations are pretty much unplayable, what kind of voodoo PC do you have to have to run them at 60 FPS?

It's an utter piece of garbage.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That post got me all nostalgic for my old Voodoo videocard.

Thanks guy complaining about performance!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I can complain about performance too so you get nostalgic of your Pentium III, since my CPU inhibits most modern games from running well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Givin posted:

The second part of Ziost is my favorite part of Star Wars and the best looking planet in the game.

drat. :black101:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Until recently I was running this game on a 3GHz core duo (E8400) with 4GB of memory and an aging GTX460, chugging along at 30FPS in good areas, 10FPS in bad areas and 1FPS in ops boss fights with particle effect overload. I couldn't afford a new comp and was thinking of springing for a GTX960 in the hopes that would put some life back into it. Instead I lucked into a donation of a new mobo, an i5-4690K and 16GB, and even with the old graphics card the engine is pegged at 60FPS everywhere, at the highest graphics settings. I'm even seeing animations I never saw before because the old comp never rendered them (jumping down into the air ducts at the beginning of a Star Fortress, for example).

The engine is incredibly CPU heavy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm just now coming back to this game after being gone from it for two and a half years. I gave the OP a once over, but just had a couple of questions.

I'm a preferred player, my roommate playing with me will be a Free one. We used the referral link in the OP, and we do plan on playing through the old story content (honestly story is why we're playing). How far after character creation and start can characters meet up and start doing stuff together? I kinda think it'd be boring for us both to play the same class, but I don't want to have to go through a bunch of content solo before getting to meet up.

Also, should I wait til Level 50 before buying the Hutt Cartel/Revan stuff? I want to go through it (especially Revan; I liked the KotOR games!) but don't want to shell out until I have to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jivjov posted:

So I'm just now coming back to this game after being gone from it for two and a half years. I gave the OP a once over, but just had a couple of questions.

I'm a preferred player, my roommate playing with me will be a Free one. We used the referral link in the OP, and we do plan on playing through the old story content (honestly story is why we're playing). How far after character creation and start can characters meet up and start doing stuff together? I kinda think it'd be boring for us both to play the same class, but I don't want to have to go through a bunch of content solo before getting to meet up.

Also, should I wait til Level 50 before buying the Hutt Cartel/Revan stuff? I want to go through it (especially Revan; I liked the KotOR games!) but don't want to shell out until I have to.

You'll be able to pretty much duo everything after the first planet at the latest (same planet if you're both force users or both tech users). You'll need to sub to get past 50 but once you do it you keep that content forever. You get XP bonus for subbing too. Along with QOL improvements so subbing now might not be a bad idea. Plus sub now you'll get early access to the next chapter of KOTFE in February.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Can someone explain flashpoints to me? The GF and I did the introductory one for Esseles on the republic side and now we're high enough to do Hammer Station. There was a droid on coruscant that gave us a breadcrumb to it that brought me to the dropship hangar in the republic fleet and I got a tactical quest for the station, but when I zoned in everything was lv65 and people in /1 were telling me that we need a full group.

My question is how can we just two-man this flashpoint like the Esseles one? That was the perfect hour long duo quest and we want more like it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

As longas you start on the same planet, you can team up right away. The Force Users and Non-Force Users on either side are paired up in this way. The first planet goes pretty quickly, so you'll be able to meet up after that. Or as a preferred player use the fleet pass you get at level 10 to go join them, assuming you pick non-paired classes.

Hutt Cartel and Reven both are unneeded though up to level 50, but you'll be unnable to select some quest rewards you don't really want anyway, since taking the data crystals are better and doing heroics will shower you in better gear anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

You'll be able to pretty much duo everything after the first planet at the latest (same planet if you're both force users or both tech users). You'll need to sub to get past 50 but once you do it you keep that content forever. You get XP bonus for subbing too. Along with QOL improvements so subbing now might not be a bad idea. Plus sub now you'll get early access to the next chapter of KOTFE in February.

I'm not too worried about the early access and whatnot. We'll probably only really get to play one or two nights a week, so faster progression is pretty meaningless. Is it, strictly speaking, viable to play free to 50/end of the class content, then sub for a month to get into the paid stuff?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

Can someone explain flashpoints to me? The GF and I did the introductory one for Esseles on the republic side and now we're high enough to do Hammer Station. There was a droid on coruscant that gave us a breadcrumb to it that brought me to the dropship hangar in the republic fleet and I got a tactical quest for the station, but when I zoned in everything was lv65 and people in /1 were telling me that we need a full group.

My question is how can we just two-man this flashpoint like the Esseles one? That was the perfect hour long duo quest and we want more like it.

Hammer station can be duo'd just fine. Some flashpoints require a little strategy on the bosses, and sometimes that requires moving companions out of the bad stuff, but otherwise you shouldn't have a problem.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Richard M Nixon posted:

Tactical flashpoints will bolster your stats up to level 65 so that you are always like-level with what's in there. They are more commonly done with a full group of four, but two players and two companions should be fine provided that at least one player or companion is full time healing and you're careful with crowd control for the tougher pulls. They aren't easy that way but they're perfectly doable (probably more so than a full group with no healers).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jivjov posted:

I'm not too worried about the early access and whatnot. We'll probably only really get to play one or two nights a week, so faster progression is pretty meaningless. Is it, strictly speaking, viable to play free to 50/end of the class content, then sub for a month to get into the paid stuff?

Yup. Perfectly viable. You might want to sub at 50 just so you don't "waste" xp, but that's not strictly necessary and you'll have a better idea of how you feel about that anyway when you reach that point. Your friend is going to have a rough time getting to 50 with only one hotbar and no cargo space, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Potsticker posted:

Yup. Perfectly viable. You might want to sub at 50 just so you don't "waste" xp, but that's not strictly necessary and you'll have a better idea of how you feel about that anyway when you reach that point. Your friend is going to have a rough time getting to 50 with only one hotbar and no cargo space, though.

I figure a $5 expenditure to get them to Preferred will hold us over...right?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Potsticker posted:

Hammer station can be duo'd just fine. Some flashpoints require a little strategy on the bosses, and sometimes that requires moving companions out of the bad stuff, but otherwise you shouldn't have a problem.

I wouldn't recommend this to players who are new/looking for a fun time.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

For anybody that didn't notice, the other Blademaster lightsabers are finally available on the Cartel Market. Similar in style to the "attenuated" ones but with slightly thicker blades... still thinner than average I think, more original trilogy style than Rebels style. 500 hutt bux apiece, 400 to unlock. I've been waiting for these! They look great!

This is the kind of slightly-mismatched look I like for this character. I like the idea that every lightsaber is a unique creation by its wielder, so no two are exactly the same. Here I have the standard one with an original purple crystal and the shoto with derelict purple.

Thanks nonentity! Enjoy my money!

My personal favorite ones I have made lately, glad you're enjoying them. I want to build some real world physical versions of those soon.

Also, new stuff a'comin. Can't wait to show you guys.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jivjov posted:

I figure a $5 expenditure to get them to Preferred will hold us over...right?

Yup!

Verranicus posted:

I wouldn't recommend this to players who are new/looking for a fun time.

No? We seemed to enjoy it well enough, though it is full of a lot of trash so it did take some time. My favorite flashpoint so far has been Cademimu, though the first boss took us like 8 or 9 attempts to figure out what was going on.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Potsticker posted:

Yup!

No? We seemed to enjoy it well enough, though it is full of a lot of trash so it did take some time. My favorite flashpoint so far has been Cademimu, though the first boss took us like 8 or 9 attempts to figure out what was going on.

Slowly grinding through mobs that are meant to be fought by a group twice the size for little to no story doesn't sound like something someone looking for something like Esselles would enjoy.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

nonentity posted:

My personal favorite ones I have made lately, glad you're enjoying them. I want to build some real world physical versions of those soon.

Please talk the rest of the dev crew into making a cosmetic slot for weapons. You made a bunch of really cool designs but it's prohibitively expensive to switch between models when you have to rip out the mods and re-augment them. It's especially bad on my merc who has like 80% of available blasters but only really uses 1 set for PVE and 1 for PVP.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Slowly grinding through mobs that are meant to be fought by a group twice the size for little to no story doesn't sound like something someone looking for something like Esselles would enjoy.

Maybe I should try Esselles, then. Which flashpoints have the best/most story? And which have the most interesting bosses?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Potsticker posted:

Maybe I should try Esselles, then. Which flashpoints have the best/most story? And which have the most interesting bosses?

The story-relevant flashpoints are the ones with a solo mode. In particular, do Taral V/Maelstrom Prison or Boarding Party/The Foundry as appropriate for your faction.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

nonentity posted:

Yeah, they're absolutely fantastic. It's been hard to find a pair of sabers that looks 'right' (or at least what I wanted) on my Marauder and because they have a slightly thinner width than most sabers they're just perfect :3:. I also like how they have a similar aesthetic to Luke's saber in RoTJ which has always been one of my favourites.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The story-relevant flashpoints are the ones with a solo mode. In particular, do Taral V/Maelstrom Prison or Boarding Party/The Foundry as appropriate for your faction.

I don't mean story relevant, I mean more like-- have story decisions I guess. Like Black Talon.

FAKE EDIT: I have been informed that Esseles IS Black Talon for the Republic side. :negative:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Potsticker posted:

I don't mean story relevant, I mean more like-- have story decisions I guess. Like Black Talon.

Then you're sadly out of luck. Most subsequent flashpoints have a LS/DS choice or two that will only change a few lines of dialogue. Nothing like the branches in Esseles and Black Talon.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cythereal posted:

Then you're sadly out of luck. Most subsequent flashpoints have a LS/DS choice or two that will only change a few lines of dialogue. Nothing like the branches in Esseles and Black Talon.
Yeah, I was really surprised when I ran Black Talon a second time, picked the first major DS choice and then half the instance was completely different to the previous time I'd run it. I understand why they don't do more of it but it was still neat.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Belasavis...the prison planet is literally covered in frolicking fields of flowers....!?!?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Promethium posted:

Tactical flashpoints will bolster your stats up to level 65 so that you are always like-level with what's in there. They are more commonly done with a full group of four, but two players and two companions should be fine provided that at least one player or companion is full time healing and you're careful with crowd control for the tougher pulls. They aren't easy that way but they're perfectly doable (probably more so than a full group with no healers).

Thanks. So are there more on-level duo flashpoints like the first one or are the rest going to scale me to 65 and try to push me towards a full group?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Richard M Nixon posted:

Thanks. So are there more on-level duo flashpoints like the first one or are the rest going to scale me to 65 and try to push me towards a full group?

Most of the flashpoints that you get as a part of a larger questline will have on-level modes, the ones that just send you to a dropship won't. Specifically the tactical-only flashpoints are Hammer Station, Athiss, Mandalorian Raiders, Cademimu, Red Reaper, and Kuat Drive Yards. As you're leveling up the next full quest on-level flashpoints will be Taral V for Republic or Boarding Party for Empire. There's also Colicoid War Games which is not scaled but doesn't have a solo mode either, requiring a group for some puzzle sections unless you use geometry trickery.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Promethium posted:

Most of the flashpoints that you get as a part of a larger questline will have on-level modes, the ones that just send you to a dropship won't. Specifically the tactical-only flashpoints are Hammer Station, Athiss, Mandalorian Raiders, Cademimu, Red Reaper, and Kuat Drive Yards. As you're leveling up the next full quest on-level flashpoints will be Taral V for Republic or Boarding Party for Empire. There's also Colicoid War Games which is not scaled but doesn't have a solo mode either, requiring a group for some puzzle sections unless you use geometry trickery.

Great info, I appreciate it.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So I have an odd issue. I went through the Sith Inquisitor class quest on Taris and somehow never picked up Ashara. She's in the cut scenes but absent from my ship and crew skill list.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

WTF BEES posted:

So I have an odd issue. I went through the Sith Inquisitor class quest on Taris and somehow never picked up Ashara. She's in the cut scenes but absent from my ship and crew skill list.

You lucked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So I've pretty much done everything there is to do in SWTOR at this point, or at least everything I'm interested in doing. Leveled every class, gone through KotFE a couple of times, played pretty-space-princess-dressup; now it's either grind heroics for alliance crates and wait until the next chapter drops.

I've had a lot of fun playing TOR. It was the first MMO I really got into, after trying and failing with WoW back in 2011 or so (don't think I ever got past level 25 or so, it was just boring). I like the story stuff, making a character that not only looked unique but also kind of had a unique personality (to be fair there wasn't a whole lot of freedom in this area but a lot more than, say, WoW), and the MMO stuff is fun because I could do stuff with friends/goons/goon friends. I don't really have any desire to do the hardcore MMO stuff, though, so operations and whatnot don't really appeal to me.

My question is: are there any other MMOs out there now that might scratch the same itch that TOR has? Ones with more emphasis on the RPG elements than the MMO elements. I tried Guild Wars 2 a couple of years ago but for some reason it never really grabbed me. Maybe because it seemed I was always underleveled for content. Probably I was playing it wrong.

• Locked thread