Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
[edit] wrong thread

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kalleth posted:

I've been reading the Seafort Saga recently by David Feintuch. On the face of it, they're pretty standard milsf, but oh God I hate the protagonist.

He's so unbelievably naive and refuses to make any sodding decision without agonizing over it, there's pages and pages of discourse about how much he hates himself... I can't say it was an easy read.

I ended up despising him by the end of the 5th book in the series -- actually a fair amount before -- but I'm pretty sure that's the point. I find absolutely nothing redeeming about him.

And yet... I find myself recommending the series. How?!

Well, it's a great series, that's why. And as you found out, it's also hard to stomach. I keep rolling my eyes at David Feintuch's ideas of how a future society will turn out, but I still enjoyed it. On Seafort, I like that old rear end in a top hat. Too bad for him he lives in a society were healing mental illnesses is stigmatized, because holy gently caress that guy needed therapy for his clinical depression at least twice.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

For a while, Reynolds was writing Conjoiner short stories with the adventures of Nevil Clavain, starting on Mars and going throughout the galaxy--have these ever been collected into an omnibus edition? I think I've got copies of most of them in various "Year's Best SF" collections, but that's a lot of page to wander through. (His short stories are good, I really like "Diamond Dogs" a lot.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Libluini posted:

Well, it's a great series, that's why. And as you found out, it's also hard to stomach. I keep rolling my eyes at David Feintuch's ideas of how a future society will turn out, but I still enjoyed it. On Seafort, I like that old rear end in a top hat. Too bad for him he lives in a society were healing mental illnesses is stigmatized, because holy gently caress that guy needed therapy for his clinical depression at least twice.

I only read the first two. I decided I didn't need to read any more. Not sure if it's Feintuch being weird as hell about women or it's intentional that Seafort/his society is, but I tossed it into the same bin as Honor Harrington: Age of Sail epics in space sound like a good idea, but I've yet to see one that's well written and not very weird about women characters.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I only read the first two. I decided I didn't need to read any more. Not sure if it's Feintuch being weird as hell about women or it's intentional that Seafort/his society is, but I tossed it into the same bin as Honor Harrington: Age of Sail epics in space sound like a good idea, but I've yet to see one that's well written and not very weird about women characters.

Where do you get him being weird about women? The longer the series goes on, the more women-characters show up. And his navy is rather egalitarian: They see no difference between man and women, they even have to live in the same rooms together.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Jet Jaguar posted:

For a while, Reynolds was writing Conjoiner short stories with the adventures of Nevil Clavain, starting on Mars and going throughout the galaxy--have these ever been collected into an omnibus edition? I think I've got copies of most of them in various "Year's Best SF" collections, but that's a lot of page to wander through. (His short stories are good, I really like "Diamond Dogs" a lot.)

Sorry to say, there's only two Clavain stories: "Great Wall of Mars" and "Glacial".

In fact this is the full list of Revelation Space short stories and novellas:
• "Great Wall of Mars"
• "Glacial"
• "Weather"
• "Grafenwalder's Bestiary"
• "Nightingale"
• "Dilation Sleep"
• "A Spy In Europa"
• "Galactic North"
• "Diamond Dogs"
• "Turquoise Days"
• "Monkey Suit"
• "The Last Log of the Lachrimosa"

The first 8 are in the collection Galactic North; the next two are in the collection Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days; "Monkey Suit" is in Deep Navigation; and "The Last Log..." is available for free on the Subterranean Press website (and is one of his best short stories). Along with the 5 novels, that's the extent of the Revelation Space universe (until he writes more).

Now, you might be thinking of the unrelated Merlin trilogy of stories: "Hideaway", "Minla's Flowers", and "Merlin's Gun". These are all in the collection Zima Blue. They're totally awesome. Reynolds himself has described them as "Revelation Space turned up to eleven".

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Was it Alastair Reynolds who had that short story about the guy who fought from the low ranks to be a general in some future war that nobody remembers what is about? Really sending up how absurd milsf can be and/or is necessarily depending on your perspective.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Scales? It's more flash fiction than a short but yeah, absurd kinda covers it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Koesj posted:

I have no idea what I just read.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The soldiers they sent out have twisted themselves around so much trying to be better fighters that they forget that they're humans, and become the enemy that they were sent out to fight in the first place.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Weird, I wonder why I thought there were more Conjoiner stories than just those two... I will have to take a look at the Zima Blue stuff, I'm pretty sure I have that laying around somewhere.

A friend of mine has a long plane flight ahead and was looking for something to read during it. I suggested maybe going back and rereading some Culture novels. I'm reading through the Expanse books right now, the third book really needed more Chrisjen Avasarala in it. I think he may have read those already.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Koesj posted:

Yesss, so good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After having heard about it for years, I finally finished reading Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. A great book on first contact, if you like that topic then absolutely should read it. I only now realized there's a sequel, I might try to get to it soon, but really it made me interested in going back to Wayne Barlowe's Expedition.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chairman Capone posted:

After having heard about it for years, I finally finished reading Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. A great book on first contact, if you like that topic then absolutely should read it. I only now realized there's a sequel, I might try to get to it soon, but really it made me interested in going back to Wayne Barlowe's Expedition.

Man, Expedition is a gorgeous book. Unfortunately, half the pages are falling out of mine; it seemed to have real lovely binding.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The soldiers they sent out have twisted themselves around so much trying to be better fighters that they forget that they're humans, and become the enemy that they were sent out to fight in the first place.
I swear I've read this story before except the soldiers ended up turning themselves into like flying saucer fighter ships and then ending up attacking their home planet in the past when they ran out of resources or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The wife and I read The Sparrow and the sequel and really liked both. In addition to being good stories, they're a really interesting exploration of what religious faith requires in a universe that seems indifferent to suffering at best. The funny thing is that neither she nor I are religious and we loved them, and my mother (who is a minister) loved them every bit as much if not more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm not religious at all, and I found a lot of the religious themes it presented to be quite interesting (even if at the same time I kind of wanted to just yell at Emilio at a few points).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm not religious at all, and I hated that book.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
Has anyone read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers? I usually have a rule against self published books, but she got picked up by HarperCollins for the ebook release and while not a ton happened in it I enjoyed it more than probably any other scifi release of the last year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mrfreezewarning posted:

Has anyone read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers? I usually have a rule against self published books, but she got picked up by HarperCollins for the ebook release and while not a ton happened in it I enjoyed it more than probably any other scifi release of the last year.

I bought it for my Kindle after hearing good things about it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It'll probably be something I'll try and get through in 2016, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I really liked it. Listening again on audiobook. It's far from hard-SF, kind of a mishmash of the best of recent space TV shows (Firefly, Farscape etc) in book form.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I kept going "AS IF" in my head reading that book. It was pretty fun, I guess, but I can't bring myself to recommend it, and I did find the frankly unrealistic and implausible plot/universe detracted quite a lot, personally.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, it was pleasant popcorn, but very much popcorn. Like a popcorn jellybean.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mrfreezewarning posted:

It's a pretty fun book to read, but I felt like a lot of it was inspired by Mass Effect (almost a little too much).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Probably surprising no one, David Weber's latest, The road to hell, was pretty terrible. I generally like Weber, but I dislike this series - I got the new book as I had nothing else to read for a long train trip. Long story short, basically nothing happens in the entire book and he also made the bold choice not to reiterate any of the previous story (the previous book came out 9 years ago) so I had very little idea of who anyone was or why they were doing the little they did.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

pork never goes bad posted:

I kept going "AS IF" in my head reading that book. It was pretty fun, I guess, but I can't bring myself to recommend it, and I did find the frankly unrealistic and implausible plot/universe detracted quite a lot, personally.

I don't think it is a instant classic or anything but what about the world struck you as any more unrealistic than your average space opera? I liked the transportation angle, the use of wormholes and small disposable crafts to get small amounts of cargo around (the mail, a single person), and it didn't wand wave away relativity and actually talked about subFTL travel being horribly inefficient. Some of the talk about gender seemed to be tumblrriffic but not unrealistic. I'm not arguing with you, just curious.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Altered Carbon is becoming a Netflix series... http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-classic-cyberpunk-novel-altered-carbon-is-becoming-1754048539

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am ready for this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Darkrenown posted:

Probably surprising no one, David Weber's latest, The road to hell, was pretty terrible. I generally like Weber, but I dislike this series - I got the new book as I had nothing else to read for a long train trip. Long story short, basically nothing happens in the entire book and he also made the bold choice not to reiterate any of the previous story (the previous book came out 9 years ago) so I had very little idea of who anyone was or why they were doing the little they did.

Oh he finally wrote a third Hell's Gate book?

I'll probably read it anyway, Weber is apparently a big blind spot for me.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I hope they make it to the second book so they can include the weird virtual sex scene that creeped out even the creepiest of sci-fi nerd readers.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Virigoth posted:

I hope they make it to the second book so they can include the weird virtual sex scene that creeped out even the creepiest of sci-fi nerd readers.

I didn't make it to the second book. Please elaborate :munch:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hedrigall posted:

I didn't make it to the second book. Please elaborate :munch:

They rent some virtual machines after virtually torturing someone and have weird sex.

quote:

“Lick me,” she said, with sudden urgency. I went down on one knee and pressed my face into the crease, spearing forward with my tongue, working at the tight whorl of closed sphincter.

It gets weirder from there for about 10 pages

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That article made this book I've never heard of sound like an amazing cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk novel, but some of these posts seem to indicate otherwise? I'm confused, is it indeed "brilliant" as the article says, or no?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Longbaugh01 posted:

That article made this book I've never heard of sound like an amazing cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk novel, but some of these posts seem to indicate otherwise? I'm confused, is it indeed "brilliant" as the article says, or no?

Some people don't get on with it, but it's a standard recommendation in the Sci-Fi thread. I loved it.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
It won my heart when the hotel lobby blew a guy into hamburger with a chain gun.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Altered Carbon is really good. The sequels not so much.

Market Forces from the same author is not really space opera, but it did make me depressed for about a month so I thoroughly recommend it.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Biomute posted:

Altered Carbon is really good. The sequels not so much.

Market Forces from the same author is not really space opera, but it did make me depressed for about a month so I thoroughly recommend it.

Market Forces is absolutely bonkers. I've read it about 5 times now and it never gets old.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Black Man aka Thirteen is also very good, and has some very weird and unpleasant bits. But overall, I liked the fast pacing and the twisted universe in which it happens. It's also a mystery novel wrapped in a SF setting, the same as Altered Carbon.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Longbaugh01 posted:

Altered Carbon was really good. I enjoyed the series as a whole even though I like to make fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Virigoth posted:

Altered Carbon was really good. I enjoyed the series as a whole even though I like to make fun of it.

This. It's like the Neuromancer Trilogy but written by somebody with a much better eye for action and plot than Gibson had at the time (though a lot less mind-breaking concepts are introduced in AC than in Gibson's first works). Morgan is really good at the action bits, really good at creeping people out with the sex bits, damned solid at world-building... I thoroughly enjoyed all three of them, though one can certainly make fun of small bits here and there.

• Locked thread