Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hjp766 posted:

Besides the plane (and it's still a good landing if everyone walked away - even if engineers are needed) on long range flights anything like that and 90% of the time you instantly hit the out of hours scenario by the time you're ready to go again NB medical diversions of the 40 minute in and out are normally doable - anything with maintenance - forget it.

Oh, yeah, I did forget about the crew hours aspect. In any case, the cabin seemed to require serious work, so it wouldn't have been feasible to continue the flight.

And I stand by my hatred of people who disobey crew instructions. I don't always like them, but I do follow them even so. The pilots and flight attendants are responsible for our collective safety and it's lovely to ignore them even if I personally think it might be safe to do so. As this discussion has pointed out, I can be mistaken or overlook things from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
A severe turbulence pirep from us requires us to write up the plane for mx inspection even if everything appears fine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

According to the news article, that turbulence was bad enough that they transported 21 passengers to Calgary hospitals, 7 of them with serious neck and/or back injuries. So yea, apparently it was pretty severe turbulence.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The E6B is 75 years old, that's pretty neat.

http://www.informationweek.com/government/e6b-computer-celebrating-75-years-of-flight/a/d-id/1323695

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The E6B may be one of the greatest inventions I've ever seen if for nothing else than the sheer time (the article says "several years") and effort it had to have taken to get the scales to line up properly on literally every function the thing has, then apply most of them to a circle. Using an electronic one is almost not fair (even though it's much, much easier).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I made my students learn how to use it, not because it's a fascinating and useful tool, but because dammit I had to do it and so do you.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I wish I had more practice with mine. I just think they're neat.

There are some really cool demonstrations on YouTube, so I can always brush up.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Once you learn how to multiply and divide on it, the rest is a lot easier to understand and do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

...because dammit I had to do it and so do you.

Training_in_the_aviation_industry.txt

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I actually like using the whiz wheel of it on xcountry flights. Faster and less work I fibd

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
As much as I love it, I'll readily admit the E6B is kind of pointless in the real world nowadays with iPads and phones and such. But it does still have one useful thing, the written tests. Sure one could spend $70-80 or more on a nice electronic one that would have to be learned anyways, only to never use it again, or spend $20 on an E6B and learn to use that instead.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

As much as I love it, I'll readily admit the E6B is kind of pointless in the real world nowadays with iPads and phones and such. But it does still have one useful thing, the written tests. Sure one could spend $70-80 or more on a nice electronic one that would have to be learned anyways, only to never use it again, or spend $20 on an E6B and learn to use that instead.

You can just use a 4-function calculator if you are comfortable approximating trig functions. If I remember correctly, the choices for the answers were far enough apart that it wasn't much effort to find the correct one. I think you're allowed to use a scientific calculator with trig anyways.

I have an E6B and an electronic one I got when I bought a used set of pilot gear when I started. I had to use the analog one in my training but I've never used the electronic one. It looks like more of a pain in the rear end than the analog one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Scientific calculators are allowed but if you can learn to calculate wind triangles with trig and a calculator you can learn to use an E6B, lol.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah of course you can, but if you already know how to math, it's faster to use a normal calculator.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sleepy gary posted:

Yeah of course you can, but if you already know how to math, it's faster to use a normal calculator.

lol that definitely would put you in the minority of pilots

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

e.pilot posted:

If you have to calculate any of the answers on the FAA written tests you're doing it wrong.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

If you have to calculate any of the answers on the FAA written tests you're doing it wrong.

Also a valid point, lol.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
drat fine job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtlS0sxFlHk

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

Good grief did that go from not so bad to freaking nightmare in less than a second. Well done by the pilots.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Don't think anybody posted it so, belated:

This'll be the RNAV (GPS) 18 to North Pole. We've already Making Our List and have checked it twice. We're on 122.8. It'll be Runway 18, and that's True, and North Pole's gift to us this year is Direct SANTA. Final approach course for 18 is 360 True. If you're totally confused by that, why did you bid this line?

We'll cross SANTA at or above 3,000, then start down to CLAUS at 2,500. We'll pass COMNG on the way down to the decision height of 250. From there, we SHOULD have the field, but if not, we'll ride at 250 until TOWNN. In the event of a missed approach, it'll be climbing straight ahead to 2,500, direct MSLTO, then a right turn to KSSNG where we'll hold as published. Chances are, the Elves will just turn us downwind if we go missed, though.

Given egg nog consumption, we're going to want to keep our eyes out for jackasses and Winter Warriors dicking around in the pattern.

Any questions?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2016

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Rickety Cricket posted:

Quick - everyone repost the North Pole IAP!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I had actually never seen it and remembered this post, so I looked it up.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So I'm going to interview at a fairly busy 141 flight school on Thursday. However I was only hired at my current small 61 school about 3 months ago. Should I be offered a job at the new place, would it be poor form to leave a job only after 3 months? Dunno, I've got a couple of pretty good students and would feel kinda bad leaving them behind. I'd hate to be one of those CFIs that just chase hours, but it'd mean more money too, which is never a bad thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked my first school, but I left after 6 months because the time and money just wasn't anywhere near what I needed.

At least make sure you really know this new gig will be better; so many aviation jobs seem like "the grass on the other side" by making promises.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It'd be at a military aero club.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Nobody else will fault you for it, but because I'm Apollo I'll say it:

Yeah it would be terrible form. It's exactly what a person in their 20s would do.

Would you leave a professional job after 3 months of employment? Maybe after abuse or something, but small flight schools are usually way better on the things that actually matter. Building relationships with your students and ensuring their success.

Leaving early also causes both students and employers to have a terrible impression about flight instructors, especially young ones.

Might I also suggest that after you figure out that 141 schools are terrible, you'll need a job to come back to? Don't burn bridges if you can help it. You don't want to be another no name that goes off to 141 instruction life hoping for that big jet in the sky.

Also, it's the middle of winter, I have to assume you knew being a CFI included slow seasons....

I'm jaded against quitting early, but the reality was I always (and continue to) teach out of my own plane and do my own scheduling.

But if you can't eat, do what you need to do!

Edit: suggestion: Can you double dip for the first few months of 2016? Would make it worth it for everybody right. Kind of surprised the aero club doesn't have a military IP turned CFI to do the job.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

e.pilot posted:

So I'm going to interview at a fairly busy 141 flight school on Thursday. However I was only hired at my current small 61 school about 3 months ago. Should I be offered a job at the new place, would it be poor form to leave a job only after 3 months? Dunno, I've got a couple of pretty good students and would feel kinda bad leaving them behind. I'd hate to be one of those CFIs that just chase hours, but it'd mean more money too, which is never a bad thing.

CFI's chase hours, thats what you're supposed to do. Pilots chase money, thats what you're SUPPOSED to do. There ain't no love in this game, and the quicker you learn that the better off you'll be. Being the "good guy" will always gently caress you over. Look out for your own self interests. Employers don't care who you are and what you've done. As soon as you're a liability, you're gone. I love flying and couldn't imagine doing anything else. It's my passion, my calling and my vocation, but at the end of the day it's all about dollars and cents and time off. Thats it end of story. I'm assuming you don't want to be a CFI forever? Then get that magical 1500 as soon as possible and bail to a regional and make captain as soon as possible so you can make it to whatever your heart desires.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I am cross posting this from AI

Essentially, the Feds are
Facing a lawsuit for going against a confessional mandate.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/maryland-hobbyist-sues-faa-to-overturn-new-drone-registration-rule/

In all honesty, I hope the Feds lose this lawsuit and drone registration is forced to discontinue due to mass non-compliance.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There needs to be some kind of rubber stamp easy to pass test for drone licenses like there is for a HAM radio operator license. Just enough so that when someone does something stupid with one they can't claim they didn't know any better.

e: so I'm not posting twice in a row

Went to my interview this morning and landed the job! I will be instructing at the Air Force Academy aero club as soon as the paperwork goes through.

I am also going to be able to finish up with my two students at my current school.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 7, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So uh how do you over "sell" jumpseats?

fake edit: this flight was delayed for 90 minutes due to an equipment change, duh. This is the biggest clusterfuck I've seen probably not uncommon for you guys

edit 2: now, a passenger shoving a flight attendant during an "argument" over the proper stowage of a parakeet can't be an everyday occurrence. How many years in federal prison is that one worth?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 9, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

edit 2: now, a passenger shoving a flight attendant during an "argument" over the proper stowage of a parakeet can't be an everyday occurrence. How many years in federal prison is that one worth?

To be fair, letting birds loose on an airplane is a really bad idea

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

fake edit: this flight was delayed for 90 minutes due to an equipment change, duh. This is the biggest clusterfuck I've seen probably not uncommon for you guys

The parakeet fight sounds like some kind of Monty Python sketch. Also, are you sure it wasn't an "emotional support" parakeet?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

To be fair, letting birds loose on an airplane is a really bad idea

Thanks, I laughed way too hard at this, especially after sitting here in Portland. Seattle diversions due to fog are just awesome :suicide:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey I was in Portland yesterday! Granted we went south so no delays for us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

The parakeet fight sounds like some kind of Monty Python sketch. Also, are you sure it wasn't an "emotional support" parakeet?

Well it wasn't being very emotionally supportive, maybe a parrot would work better? :v:

I missed the actual fight as he was behind me... the airport cops though...
"So it's a parakeet?"
"Yeah"
"He must mean a lot to you"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Thanks, I laughed way too hard at this, especially after sitting here in Portland. Seattle diversions due to fog are just awesome :suicide:

One of the fun things about having CAT III airplanes is hearing Skywest (especially their Alaska branded airplanes) start diverting every time the weather in Seattle decides to suck, while we just just get asked for our RVR requirements and have to do a little more work setting up the approach.

On the other hand, we fly an already complicated and unreliable airplane that's been over-proceduralized to hell, and our management insists we take concessions in the face of record profits, so we have to take our victories where we can get them...

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 10, 2016

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
After nearly a year and a half of splitting hotel rooms with other pilots I thought my move to the airlines would stop it. Then I find out Skywest has double occupancy during training.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

After nearly a year and a half of splitting hotel rooms with other pilots I thought my move to the airlines would stop it. Then I find out Skywest has double occupancy during training.

Or you could cough up the extra $700 or so to get some privacy...are you doing training in SLC?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Or you could cough up the extra $700 or so to get some privacy...are you doing training in SLC?

I think the email they sent said it was like $1500 for the whole training. But eh, I've done it this long what's another 2 months. And yeah I picked the CRJ so I'll be in SLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Enjoy the CandleHood then, try not to stay out too late on North Temple, and I'm down for drinks if I'm not out on a 4 day :)

• Locked thread