Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Is this version completely different to past versions?

Yes. I've got the same thing, what was previously sound tactics is absolutely useless in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

THE PWNER posted:

It's drat near impossible for the other nations to keep up once the South American regen train gets rolling.

The advice I remember getting way too many versions ago was "if you mark Brazil and Argentina playable, masses of overpowered South American regens will swamp your save and overwhelm the world" and since then I leave those leagues view-only unless I want to manage there. I'm not even sure if this is still true.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Dallan Invictus posted:

The advice I remember getting way too many versions ago was "if you mark Brazil and Argentina playable, masses of overpowered South American regens will swamp your save and overwhelm the world" and since then I leave those leagues view-only unless I want to manage there. I'm not even sure if this is still true.

Seems true, I've got them playable because the dutch league has no work permit or non-EU rules. Mistake!

If I change them to non-playable mid game, will it save me?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 10, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
It'll cut off the future flow of the SA legend pipeline, but those who're already in it will still remain iirc. And depending on how wide that pool of talent is the damage could already be done.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've just sold 3 players who aren't guaranteed starters in January for a combined 70 million pounds, next steps?

e. my squad is upset about 2 of them leaving, 1 was arguably my best right back but was only marginally better than the backup, and 1 had come in 6 months ago and never managed to hold down a place at CB or in midfield

how do i fix this

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you do want Brazil and Argentina playable, but less amazing regens, you could also change their youth rating score in the database. If its anything like previous versions especially Brazil has an insane score (like 190/200), so lowering it to say 170 should help tone it down.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Another question. How the gently caress do I stop my team from conceding inside the first 5 minutes of matches, and even better, within the first minute? Because genuinely 20% of my goals conceded come that early on.

e. not just at the start of matches, also at the start of the second half. loving hell it's annoying.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2016

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I haven't come across that problem, but if you are sure it's a genuine issue and not you just seeing problems not really there, maybe have a defensive, negative tactic that you use for the first five or ten minutes of each half? It'd be handy as a shut the game down when a goal or two up in tighter games anyway.

Check tactics - analysis - goals and make sure it isn't all just in your head first though. I concede 20% of my goals in the first 15 minutes (6/30) which is slightly worse than average (average of 5 per 15 minute spell) but they are pretty evenly distributed through the game for me. I do score a disproportionate amount in the 16-30 period though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Yeah, checking the stats I do concede most of my goals in the first 15 min, and then score most of them late in the first half to equalise. It's ridiculous, maybe it'll sort itself out eventually? I'll try making a defensive tactic to start halves with though.

Anyone got any good defensive set piece setups? I feel like I could be a lot stronger there too.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've developed a strange addiction to trying to emulate Simeone's Atletico Madrid side who play a defensive 442 against bigger sides, which I generally use against everybody because I'm a bit lazy when it comes to facing weak opponents. I tried to pay close attention to how they do set pieces and this is what I came up with.

STCR is big and STCL is little, and both center mids are creative but strong defensively and also rather good in the air (as anyone who plays in the middle should be able to win headers :colbert:). Works good for me even though my assistant is always "waah the posts aren't being marked on corners!"

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Twelve games now without beating my reserves. This is ridiculous.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Play the season with your reserves.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, checking the stats I do concede most of my goals in the first 15 min, and then score most of them late in the first half to equalise. It's ridiculous, maybe it'll sort itself out eventually? I'll try making a defensive tactic to start halves with though.

Anyone got any good defensive set piece setups? I feel like I could be a lot stronger there too.

Football Manager appreciates counter-intuitive thinking, so I leave two men forward on the halfway line and one lurking outside the box.

This makes the opposition leave more players back to defend. Less players crowding your box.

I always put men on the posts. Two man markers, the rest zonal leaving a hole in the middle for the keeper to attack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

post your tictac screen

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
You know what? Costa Rica A and Mexico A are just too busy this year. Let's send the B teams to Copa America.

??????????????????

??

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

THE PWNER posted:

You know what? Costa Rica A and Mexico A are just too busy this year. Let's send the B teams to Copa America.

??????????????????

??

Was it in the same year as the Gold Cup?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Now play it again without changing your tactics but swap your reserve and first team players and see what happens.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Now play it again without changing your tactics but swap your reserve and first team players and see what happens.

This.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

The biggest difference between 15 and 16 IMO is how much more forgiving 15 was in terms of playing really attacking tactics.

vyelkin posted:

This is interesting do this.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Replacing your stalwart winger who's spent 7 seasons playing incredibly with the same guy who took his place in the national team is pretty mean. I'm glad this spreadsheet doesn't have emotions.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

'Disappointed to not be selected for the national team'

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
'Disappointed that his manager scouted his replacement by noticing that he stopped gaining caps, clicking the national team, and spending his entire transfer budget on the guy who's keeping him out of the team.'

Sorry buddy, that's what happens when my assistant tells me you've dropped below 3 star rating. I don't care that you're still performing, you triggered my ocd.

Ah yes, I've been looking forward to the young boys vs Shahktar. Meanwhile, there's also Barcelona I suppose.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 15, 2016

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does the manager creator still look like this

because gently caress me that model's shameful, it's like they got a work experience kid to knock some poo poo together in a fortnight

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

St Evan Echoes posted:

does the manager creator still look like this

because gently caress me that model's shameful, it's like they got a work experience kid to knock some poo poo together in a fortnight

Yeah it does except the profile picture doesn't include the lovely suit you chose making that part of it entirely redundant instead of mostly redundant

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

redundant would be a step up

it actively makes the game look like a $5 piece of poo poo from ten years ago

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

St Evan Echoes posted:

redundant would be a step up

it actively makes the game look like a $5 piece of poo poo from ten years ago

well yeah but now you have to slog through the horrible facegen and fluro puffy jacket creator only to never even have the option to see the fluro puffy jacket again lol

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah it does except the profile picture doesn't include the lovely suit you chose making that part of it entirely redundant instead of mostly redundant

You can see it in the match engine!

texasmed
May 27, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

You can see it in the match engine!

I think this is the reason it's so lovely. It's a 1 cm tall model blown up to full size, but it also kinda makes me wonder why they can't put a little more effort into the match engine player models.

I always go for the max height and weight, white winter coat so I look like a giant snowman

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Hmm maybe I'm just retarded then, I'm going to extra check for my dude because I was really disappointed I couldn't see him in the match engine

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
They're on the far end away from the camera.

I only notice them sometimes, so I think they aren't always there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

They're on the far end away from the camera.

I only notice them sometimes, so I think they aren't always there.

Different grounds are set up in different ways. Sometimes the dugouts are in the corners or below the cameras.

They were pushing to get accurate data for all football league grounds for this years game but quietly sidelined the feature once the researchers had done all the work.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol someone load up there most ridiculous winning tactic and I guarantee it will be no match for my Freiburg reserves manager who has gone 14 games undefeated against me. This version is loving retarded.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lol someone load up there most ridiculous winning tactic and I guarantee it will be no match for my Freiburg reserves manager who has gone 14 games undefeated against me. This version is loving retarded.

Did you swap out all the players and let him have the first string against you playing the reserves?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just lost a cup semi final because my entire first team had 1 day left on traveling back for international duty. Huhhhhhh

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Different grounds are set up in different ways. Sometimes the dugouts are in the corners or below the cameras.

They were pushing to get accurate data for all football league grounds for this years game but quietly sidelined the feature once the researchers had done all the work.

Out of curiosity, how do you get all this inside information?

Also, if you have any other insights like the one about Aggression and Work rate, please feel free to keep posting them. That blew my mind.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
He had lunch with Sir Alex Ferguson once and he told him all his secrets about Championship Manager 96.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Also, if you have any other insights like the one about Aggression and Work rate, please feel free to keep posting them. That blew my mind.

Kicking refers to the maximum length of a goalkeeper's kicks. Passing determines their accuracy.

but Throwing refers to the accuracy of a goalkeeper's throws. Strength determines their maximum length.

Flair doesn't directly relate to skill moves. It's a measure of how direct/expansive/forward-thinking a player will be on the ball. High flair players need to have exceptional vision & passing, dribbling & speed, or technique (which determines what skill moves can be performed) or they will give the ball away a lot, because they won't be able to succeed at what they are trying to do.

If you want patient possession play, avoid players with very high or very low flair. Too high and they won't be patient enough, too low and they won't be brave enough to exploit an opening when you find one. But an average player with low flair is better for the team than one with high flair.

Communication is the most important goalkeeping attribute. Short or weak keepers with high Command of Area are a liability.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
What's up with Mario Gotze in this game? Arsenal got him for £25m after one season in the beta, this time around I got him on a free for Villa after a year without a club. He's only 26 and still one of the best AMs in the world.

Speaking of Arsenal, they sold me Carl Jenkinson for a couple of mil, bought him back after 18 months for £10m, dumped him in the reserves without playing a single game, then sold him back to me for £5m six months later. Also they're now managed by David Moyes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Signings are made based on reputation (which is influenced by form), players are used based on ability (as perceived by coaches).

Gotze's probably on really high wages so if he doesn't do well at Bayern (or picks up a bad injury) none of the teams that can afford him will be interested in making an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sassassin posted:

Signings are made based on reputation (which is influenced by form), players are used based on ability (as perceived by coaches).

Gotze's probably on really high wages so if he doesn't do well at Bayern (or picks up a bad injury) none of the teams that can afford him will be interested in making an offer.

A big problem is how players will pretty much never budge on taking less pay until their rep falls off so much that its possible. In my game a player was 35, left on a free, was still world class but didn't find a club. Sat there for a year and a half clubless then retired due to being unable to find one.