Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Urgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Running random Bowie videos on youtube since I found out. Good choices for me: Heart's Filthy Lesson, I'm Afraid of Americans, Jump They Say, some of the Seu Jorge stuff from The Life Aquatic. I'm loving crushed, too. I'm so not loving okay. Snot-nosed bawling at 32 years old.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Found out while resting after surgery. gently caress.

Planet earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I seriously can't stop crying. He's been such a major part of my life since I was born back in 81. It's going to be difficult getting through this. Nothing has been as consistent and influential. I really feel like I've lost a family member.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone got a good primer on Bowie for a noob? I feel like going to Spotify and listening to Blackstar first thing doesn't really give you much in the way of history

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone got a good primer on Bowie for a noob? I feel like going to Spotify and listening to Blackstar first thing doesn't really give you much in the way of history

there was a discussion about this a few days ago you should probably read, but I'm biased to suggest where I started: 2002 comp "Best of Bowie," which I believe is his densest mostly-career-spanning retrospective (fits on 1CD!)

he did not release a single bad album from The Man Who Sold the World to Scary Monsters, unless you count Pin Ups (no one counts Pin Ups), so that's probably the next step. obviously that might be kind of daunting, so I'd next go to whatever albums that contain the songs you like most from that collection

again this is one of like 800000 suggestions in the world (I'm sure everyone from Pitchfork to The AV Club has one too) but I think is one of the more easily-digestible options for someone going in somewhat blind

vvvv yeah if you want to start with an album, this is probably the one

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 11, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars was probably the gateway album for a lot of people so starting there surely wouldn't hurt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Station to Station basically changed my entire outlook on what music could be. This poo poo really sucks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any good readups about his significance? I feel like with music it's a lot harder to just pick and play whille really getting a sense of their work's resonance without knowing the time and context of their releases

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I can't sleep at all. I think like a lot of people it's impossible to summarize the effect his music had on my life but I feel just heartbroken that he died at a relatively young age, and was still making such good music.

I just wish I could have thanked him.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
If you're totally unfamiliar it might be good to just listen to "Blackstar" the song first, for a view of modern Bowie, and then start from the beginning. If you just start from the beginning as a non music nerd some of the older stuff might sound dated. But everything he ever did was cutting-edge. Music, visual arts, digital mixed media. He was a pioneer in so many fields.

repeating fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 11, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Any good readups about his significance? I feel like with music it's a lot harder to just pick and play whille really getting a sense of their work's resonance without knowing the time and context of their releases

I was right about the AV Club thing, and while a lot of the videos are broken, it's a good enough read http://www.avclub.com/article/david-bowie-47556

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is a good read-along if you really want to focus on his music, but I wouldn't exactly start at entry 1 :v:

though for other people: if you feel inspired to go through his work track-by-track, pick up the book adaptation, "Rebel Rebel," which goes through 1976 and has lots of rewritten entries for the early stuff that goes into interesting detail

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You know, when when people first started talking about Blackstar I thought 'Wow, almost 70 huh? I wonder what it will be like when he dies in a few years, I can't imagine David Bowie quietly expiring in a nursing home somewhere.' And then somehow a few years ended up being a few weeks. RIP.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
$9.99 Amazon Prime Physical CD version includes AutoRip so you can listen right now.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Goodnight, sweet prince. :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

repeating posted:

$9.99 Amazon Prime Physical CD version includes AutoRip so you can listen right now.

if we're talking Blackstar, it's also just on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvQskJAg3ncLHZYu9cmjvgFFOroZMwkIZ

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 11, 2016

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

EatinCake posted:

This is loving depressing. Particularly so close to Lemmy's passing.

Source?
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-david-bowie-essay-20160110-story.html

"★" is, as Visconti described it, a Bowie album, the first one I've left on loop since "Scary Monsters." It is charged and scrupulously edited. There are five more songs from these sessions that have yet to be released. So look forward to next Christmas and hope for a deluxe edition.

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.
I woke up at 5am this morning, because the rain was hammering down outside and woke me up.

I just had this feeling something terrible had happened, then I saw the news.

This is a sad day. Few artists can transcend genre's, but Bowie did it. He just had his own sound, his own genre, refusing to be pigeonholed which made him unique.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

We're all a little bit cooler now, because the coolest man on earth just died.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

We're all a little bit cooler now, because the coolest man on earth just died.

At least he died in the most Bowie way imaginable by releasing a brilliant album and music video just days before he died that foreshadowed his imminent death without anyone realizing it.

"I'm dying too..... fool them all again and again. "

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Visconti: https://www.facebook.com/tony.visconti1/posts/10208522003550232

:smith:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Beautiful, classic Bowie, and loving heart-breaking.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is the worst loving way to start my morning.

The guy's been my favorite artist ever since I first listened to his work. I loved his recent albums and the majority of his catalogue in general.

This loving sucks.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

HorseRenoir posted:

:negative:

n...no

Bowie was supposed to live forever, you guys :smith:

It's only forever. That's not long at all.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is especially harsh

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've been waiting for years in the hope that he'd do one last tour. I never got to see him live and that'll be one of my lifetime regrets.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I was late getting into Bowie but I've really been digging his stuff in a big way over the last few years. Really loving sad to hear he's gone, RIP one of the greatest creative minds of our time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lid posted:

This

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Lid posted:

been watching the GIF your avatar comes from listening to Bowie. First random Bowie, now Blackstar twice through. Alternately crying and trying not to cry.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

No Musician has ever been like Bowie for me. I loved the stuff I loved, and I always tried to love the stuff that didn't click, because it was always worth trying with his music. I didn't expect to ever feel so down when a person I have never met passed, but here I am.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the music videos for Blackstar and Lazarus were shot recently?

If not, I wonder if the rest of the album tracks already have completed videos that will come out posthumously

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Queen ended with The Show Must Go On and Bowie ended with Lazarus, in the throes of dying they kept loving going.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I was doing okay, and then I listened to Where Are We Now? and now I can't stop crying.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

radio 6 is streaming songs/influences/tributes for the next couple hours, works in the us http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Some of the worst news to wake up to... gently caress.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I choose to believe that the cancer thing is just a cover story, and that Bowie was actually picked up by aliens. He will hang out in space with them and live forever courtesy of UFO tech, beaming down rad new Bowie albums to earth every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

• Locked thread