Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So is nobody watching shameless this year? I was surprised to find there is no thread for season 6 and the season 5 thread has been closed down already. The premiere was made available online (legally, for free) nearly 2 weeks ago, and it's now aired on TV as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Lord Bude posted:

So is nobody watching shameless this year? I was surprised to find there is no thread for season 6 and the season 5 thread has been closed down already. The premiere was made available online (legally, for free) nearly 2 weeks ago, and it's now aired on TV as well.

I'm still watching it. The premiere was good as usual, though I kind of worry how this Frank plot is going to go. Seems a little one-note.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

David Bowie has died .

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just had the worst emotional roller-coaster of facebook status edits. First, after initial googling, I wrote "David Bowie isn't dead, it was a hoax, Phew" and then 2 minutes later I started seeing more conflicting sources and had to update my status again to "David Bowie is dead :("

A big serious gently caress you to the people who falsely spread the rumor that it was a hoax in order to get more clicks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dickhead you for not going directly to his twitter or website first.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Dickhead you for not going directly to his twitter or website first.

Well, the death annoucement was posted onhis official facebook feed, with the top comment being that it was hacked and confirmed as a hoax.
And I made my first post while I was still verifying. Then I immediatly had to change it.

What went wrong was a searched reddit for "David Bowie" but I forgot to change the sorting and saw that there were 0 posts about his death in the first page of results.

So yes, I am an idiot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't ask for you life story :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

I didn't ask for you life story :)

It's implicit in calling me a dickhead. If someone calls me a dickhead, I bore them with poo poo they didn't ask to hear about :P

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dickhead

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Alright, Dickhead, thank you.

I'm calling a lot of people "Dickhead" now. It's my new thing.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Yeah I just had the worst emotional roller-coaster of facebook status edits. First, after initial googling, I wrote "David Bowie isn't dead, it was a hoax, Phew" and then 2 minutes later I started seeing more conflicting sources and had to update my status again to "David Bowie is dead :("

A big serious gently caress you to the people who falsely spread the rumor that it was a hoax in order to get more clicks.

This is the epitome of first world problems

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Alright, Dickhead, thank you.

I'm calling a lot of people "Dickhead" now. It's my new thing.

Been my fav for 35 years.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

less laughter posted:

This is the epitome of first world problems

Dead Bowie is everyone's problem.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boogaleeboo posted:

Dead Bowie is everyone's problem.

Yeah but making his death all about yourself and your Facebook status is pretty gauche.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I blame ISIS

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honestly don't care he was 69. People die.. it's normal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Snak making a strong early case for best poster of 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So many people relying on the snak status feed as to the death status of musicians. Information gotta be right.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So the Golden Globes gave me the final push I needed to check out Mozart in the Jungle, and I just burned through the first four episodes. Show is pretty great.

Oddly enough it wasn't the win that convinced me, it was learning that Saffron Burrows is in the cast. I find her very compelling.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

So many people relying on the snak status feed as to the death status of musicians. Information gotta be right.

Look man if I can't trust the Facebook wall of record who can I trust? This is like if the Washington Post got bought by Newscorp.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know awards shows are retarded by why on earth did The Martian win in a comedy category?

Ironically the bear raping Dicaprio in The Revenant was the only good thing about that movie and in that respect it is a comedy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You must have fallen asleep, the whole movie was straight up baddass.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

IRQ posted:

I know awards shows are retarded by why on earth did The Martian win in a comedy category?

Comedy and musical. All the ABBA distracted them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

As long as he's not writing it, who cares? An experienced film director as a guest director is almost always cool. If he was writing and episode, that would be different.

Smith is a better writer than director. He has no real visual sense.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

A lot of it was humorous, it's really not that big of a stretch.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snak posted:

Well, the death annoucement was posted onhis official facebook feed, with the top comment being that it was hacked and confirmed as a hoax.
And I made my first post while I was still verifying. Then I immediatly had to change it.

What went wrong was a searched reddit for "David Bowie" but I forgot to change the sorting and saw that there were 0 posts about his death in the first page of results.

So yes, I am an idiot.

that must have been a really difficult time for you

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

that must have been a really difficult time for you

Idiots frequently have difficulty where there should be none.

Narcissists contextualize the difficulties of others to be about themselves.

I am a narcissidiot.

The dumbest thing that I've heard so far is that "Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an Oscar and no one cares because David Bowie died"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snak posted:

The dumbest thing that I've heard so far is that "Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an Oscar and no one cares because David Bowie died"

That's quite the concern troll

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could be worse, you could be a loving moron like these guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

So the Golden Globes gave me the final push I needed to check out Mozart in the Jungle, and I just burned through the first four episodes. Show is pretty great.

Oddly enough it wasn't the win that convinced me, it was learning that Saffron Burrows is in the cast. I find her very compelling.

Thanks for this post. First episode was fantastic, and I'm already hooked. It reminds me of a better version of Smash, which I had such high hopes for. I need a fan-edit of Smash that removes Devi and everything else stupid

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

JohnSherman posted:

Don't you get it? The movie where Matt Damon is blown clear across the room by a fireball and sustains no injuries other than a couple of insignificant burns is a depressing case study in isolation. If you felt anything other than grief when Damon addresses the audience to say that he blew himself up while literally smoking, you are a monster.

It won because it was well made and funny. I don't think there is really a hard line where a funny movie becomes a comedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are the Golden Globes one of the ones where wannabe nominees submit to a specific category?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Aphrodite posted:

Are the Golden Globes one of the ones where wannabe nominees submit to a specific category?

No, the HFPA decides the categories.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think it's both technically, but HFPA gets final say. So they very well could have stopped these "Comedy" submissions but didn't bother.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

It won because it was well made and funny. I don't think there is really a hard line where a funny movie becomes a comedy.

Yep. Also, I don't think there were really any big comedies (or good musicals) this year anyway, most of them were flops with a few funny moments. Between the dark humour of the martian and random people bitching at a door in The Hateful Eight, they pretty much chose one of the better films this year, rather than some mediocre comedy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm watching Mozart in the Jungle and keep thinking to myself, "Wow, I am just flying through these episodes! Where is the time going? I haven't been lost in a show like this in forever."

Then I realized that the epsisodes are a half hour, not an hour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulu preserves the hosed up air order of season one of Happy Endings, which I didn't know about until I saw Dave talking about starting a food truck four episodes after I saw him working in one. So were people totally mystified why Dave was moving in with Max in episode 10 after living with him for the whole season or what?

Also, Does the Dave character/actor ever get better?

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 11, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Dave improves yes.

Edit: as does alex. Season 2 everything is working.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 11, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

Also, Does the Dave character/actor ever get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
THE MARTIAN being a comedy was the running gag of the night. Even when Scott won he kind of shrugged at the idea. It was like when DiCaprio won for THE WOLF OF WALL STREET for best Comedy Actor.

• Locked thread