Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sounds a bit loving la-de-da for auspol doesn't it?

Auspol is more of a polony and tomato sauce sandwich kind of thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MonoAus posted:

Auspol is more of a polony and tomato sauce sandwich kind of thread.

Auspol is an rear end sandwich

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Auspol is an rear end sandwich

I think you mean "rear end sizzle" or "democracy rear end"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

"democracy rear end"

Next months thread title.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
rear end - A kind of four legged beast. Jesus' mum rode one apparently.
Arse - The bit where the poo comes out. The bit we rode on Jesus' mum.

Let's at least pretend we aren't in the US already.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

:thejoke:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cartoon posted:

*puts hand across heart* I pledge allegiance to the Flag of Australia, and to the Commonwealth for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

We the People decide how we spell things here, champ

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

*puts hand across heart* I pledge allegiance to the Flag of Australia, and to the Commonwealth for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

We the People decide how we spell things here, champ

Stop undermining my joke about cheap sausages being full of donkey meat.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Heh, heh, heh. "Meat"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Arse? What, were you born in the 60s?

We humans develop and streamline words all the time lol lmao xD

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

by The Australian Financial Review posted:

Federal Greens leader Richard Di Natale is to be congratulated for making another effort to drag his party away from the cranky fringe and towards making a real contribution to policy formation by daring to soften its policy against genetically modified foods.

Whether this effort, which involved little more than Senator Di Natale saying he was not philosophically opposed to such foods, survives the reaction by party hardliners remains to be seen. But at least Senator Di Natale is in there and swinging against the policies that are irrational, make his party hard to sell to the middle ground, and obstruct the pragmatic deals that make politics work.

Genetically modified crops account for about 12 per cent of crops worldwide, and are present in an estimated 70 per cent of supermarket food products in Australia, while extensive studies have failed to identify any risks. Yet this reality has failed to make any impression on significant section the grassroots membership, which reaffirmed the party's opposition to GMOs at its 2015 national convention.

That decision in turn emphasised the fact that the Greens emerged as a party of protest rather than government, better suited to tearing down policies than to forming them. This was particularly evident under their former leader Christine Milne, who was opposed to any policy supported by former prime minister Tony Abbott, even when that policy agreed with party policy, notably petrol excise indexation. Ms Milne was stridently opposed to GM foods and farming.

There are indications that Senator Di Natale's efforts to shift the Greens away from its protest base are having some success for his party, with membership increasing by 30 per cent over a year to 13,400 last year. His shift is also making the business of government easier, with the Coalition managing to push a tighter means test for the pension through the Senate in June, thanks to support from the Greens. In contrast, Labor tied itself in knots defending its opposition to reducing pension payouts to the wealthy.

Senator Di Natale's job as a voice for reason in the party is far from easy. But to observers of the political scene the Greens make considerable more sense and seem more relevant than they did under his predecessor, and that is something to be grateful for in any political party.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

My new avatar is scary.

Is Di Natale angling to be the next Meg Lees?

Totally not auspol but David Bowie died today.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is Di Natale angling to be the next Meg Lees?

Totally not auspol but David Bowie died today.

Yeah, we're talking about it in the crew thread. It's a poo poo day.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

David Bowie didn't die. He went undercover as Bill Shorten.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

I've heard of Bowie though, this doesn't check out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Well he is a shape-shifting super-villain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

I've heard of Bowie though, this doesn't check out.

The perfect disguise to fake your own death.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Australia Day is coming. Be prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-al0xSFJo

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The first First Dog of the new year. The first of many.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Looking forward to the next First Dog tbh

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Pickled Tink posted:

gently caress. What is that?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

gently caress. What is that?

its the episode viii scroll

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
looks like more ewoks :/

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Orkin Mang posted:

its the episode viii scroll

#WheresRey

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Holy poo poo first dog is unreadable

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

These loss edits are getting really weird.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I still don't understand why he doesn't just write a blog? I mean his art never improves so what's the point?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

I still don't understand why he doesn't just write a blog? I mean his art never improves so what's the point?

I still don't understand why he doesn't just write a blog? I mean his posts never improve so what's the point?

e: but seriously, gently caress First Dog.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I still don't understand why he doesn't just write a blog? I mean his art poo poo never improves so what's the point?

I see the word "misogyny" thrown around so much these days it's about as credible as sports commentators calling everyone a "superstar".

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Just because it's a new year doesn't mean you can ignore the kittens

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Late to sandwich chat but

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/03/is-a-hot-dog-a-sandwich-nature-america

quote:

America's Fourth of July celebrations always provide fodder for uncomfortable conversations. Sure, there's that sophomore back from college running a Baby's First Howard Zinn rap to remind you that America owes its entire existence to the French military, a gay Prussian inspector general of the Continental Army, two giant oceans and a genocide. But those aren't big-picture issues. I'm talking about whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

It's a question widely posed – and how we approach it speaks to who we are, as individuals and as a nation.

Consider: neither the hot dog nor the sandwich were invented by America, yet we feel a passionate possessiveness over both. (You can turn on the Food Network, the Discovery Channel, CNN or – by now – the History Channel and see a show ranking the world's best sandwiches, all without leaving the continental United States, followed by a nauseating closeup of Guy Fieri's Baconated Hamapeño Chipotle-Chicken Despair Ziggurat.) We define ourselves and our sandwiches as much by what they are as by what they are not, finding an identity in both recognition and rejection.

Others have engaged the Hot Dog-Sandwich debate in the past, but they have not gone far enough in exploring the scope of sandwich ontology. For instance, my colleague at Sports on Earth, Patrick Hruby, addressed this a couple years ago by citing the dictionary:

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, a sandwich is "two or more slices of bread with a filling such as meat or cheese placed between them, or a partly split long or round roll containing a filling." Thus, bun-plus-Dodger Dog equals ... Voila!

But appeals to etymological authority get us nowhere. I've seen definitions that omit the mention of non-meats (essentially defining the grilled cheese sandwich out of existence) or the presence of a partly split long or round roll (rendering the existence of such manifestly sandwiched meals as the hoagie or sub impossible).

Though appeals to history often create stifling parameters, the alleged story of the sandwich's invention – the Earl of Sandwich needed a way to enjoy a portable meal without utensils or much mess – should inform our approach to understanding the sandwich's apotheosis as, ultimately, an American form pairing necessity with an elegance of individual expression. That the mass adoption of the sandwich during the industrial revolution followed his lead (and provides ample evidence as to the utility and common appearance of the sandwich as a meal) likewise should inform our conceptions of a normative sandwich state.

Thus the Great Hot Dog-Sandwich Debate should be over as soon as it begins: if a sandwich is a portable, relatively tidy meal of meat inside a bread conveyance, the fact that the bun is sliced lengthwise but not all the way through affects nothing in this discussion. The bread is in essence no different when fully sliced and presenting a more familiar sandwich form. To quibble further, one might say, is to simply argue about hinges.

Stopping here, though, is actually the action of a fool – because this conclusion naturally opens up further counterarguments to sandwich ontology that sandwich reactionaries invariably make in bad faith. For instance, the various Charles Krauthammers of the sandwich punditocracy employ the "slippery slope" argument to deny the hot dog's sandwich-status by going into hysterics (like those parodied by my colleague The Hot Take Man) about a taco being a sandwich – which, of course, it manifestly is.

Sandwich segregationists generally prefer to designate tacos and the like with the separate-but-equal designation of "wraps" – which is a distinction without a difference. Arguing against the wrap's inclusion in the sandwich category merely returns us to the hinge contention militating against the hot dog. Its functionality, however, easily demonstrates a means of conveying meat or other fillers with portability and a lack of utensils. Thus, not only is a taco a sandwich, but so is a burrito (and its Levantine antecedent, the gyro) – the only difference being that one is more neatly packaged than the other, analogous to the difference between a sloppy-pressed reuben and the near-hermetic sandwich tubes of Jimmy Johns. (Meanwhile, the taquito is a finger sandwich.)

But! you might protest, what of the nature of the wrap itself? Well, what of it? If you wish to argue that the substance encasing the meat in a wrap cannot qualify as bread because it is too flat, then the rabbi Hillel the Elder's willingness to dine on unleavened sandwiches over 2,000 years ago dispatches that argument. A flour tortilla is just a flat loaf of bread without yeast in it and, as for a corn tortilla, that is processed just like wheat flour.

(If you, however, wish to argue that it is not the processing but the corn itself that cannot become bread, then you have just radically postulated the nonexistence of cornbread, whose breadedness has heretofore never been in dispute.)

Still, there are some limits to what makes a sandwich. The presence of some form of bread alone is not criterion enough. As soon as "bread" transitions from noun to verb form it transgresses the space between sandwich and non-sandwich. Breading food does not make a sandwich, tempura offers no challenge to our understanding, and fried chicken is merely seasoned chicken. Likewise, while the flaky pastry of a Croissan'wich makes for a kind of sandwich, the same pastry baked around a steak filet does not make beef wellington a sandwich.

And, despite its possible shape, I cannot agree with my friend that the universe is a sandwich.

Here, then, we can best understand the boundaries of sandwich taxonomy via intentionalism. While breads might abound in the world's cuisine, whether they are employed as a means of making a reasonably tidy portable meal limns the sandwich classification. Breaking off bits of flatbread to dip into hummus does not create hummus sandwiches. (You know drat well that you are snacking.) On the other hand, a calzone is a sandwich, while a pizza is not. That a diner may adapt the shape of a sliced subsection of the latter to create a portable meal does not reflect the intent of its crafting; that is a secondary, user-generated adaptation. The former, however occasionally ill-crafted, possesses an inherent form that is both portable and independent of utensil intervention. (To argue that the presence of sloppy, boiling-hot calzones belies their sandwich nature is a debate on elaboration, not intention, like saying that a leaky building proves that buildings are not a form of shelter.)

This brings us naturally to the biggest red herring of the sandwich debate – the open-faced sandwich, which, via an intentionalist approach, is not a sandwich at all. The open-faced sandwich is a plate-bound horror, largely dependent on utensils and usually drenched in a humiliating amount or variety of sauces, that, if eaten by hand, make your face look like the aftermath of a hollandaise bombing in a farmer's market. That an open-face sandwich is named sandwich makes it a sandwich as much as calling the team the "New York Giants" makes the New Jersey-based games played in New York. If we're going to give open-faced sandwiches whatever vaguely inappropriate appellation we want – and not something more physically descriptive of their splayed form, like "glutenated lunch vaginas" – we might as well come closer to the truth. As my friend Chareth Cutestory (a pseudonym) once said before security dragged him kicking and screaming away from a city council meeting, "AN OPEN-FACED SANDWICH IS A PIZZA!".

Please don't misunderstand me: I argue for these boundaries not because I fear some slippery slope of sandwich identity, but because I want to better appreciate the new sandwiches I encounter and not be led astray by mislabeled foodstuffs that alter our perception of the sandwich universe. I am, at heart, a sandwich expansionist and will always argue for inclusionary sandwichism. But I understand how frightening those ideas are to others whose worldviews have been warped and terrified by Guy Fieri's "Mondo Pita-Partied Hemorhhagic Meated Wads with Volcano Adobo Mayo and You-Don't-Know-Chedder-Jack™ Agglutinate".

America is a country founded by people from someplace else on ideas borrowed from someplace else, ultimately to try to distinguish itself from every place else. It is a fraught balance of identity – to take and be of an other, yet define yourself by contrast to that other. This is the strange impulse of our "exceptionalism", to always borrow something and modify it slightly, then declare the end result definitively, uniquely American.

You can see this at play with the hot dog: the sandwich and sausage were both invented elsewhere, so to celebrate them separately as uniquely American on America's day of independence would present an empty gesture, immediately undermined by the tools used to make it. Combining the two, however, to create a distinct third entity creates something singularly American in our minds. The hot dog qua hot dog thus becomes a patriotic novelty – and slamming the door on any debate over its place in a pre-existing internationalist universe of sandwiches allows us to avoid confronting other issues, like the changing nature of what it is to be American.

But if we accept that a neat meal package of either hinged or wrapping breads or the classic two-slice model are the ontological bases for a sandwich, suddenly we must introduce new food to that classification – arepas, banh mi, a disruptive new egg roll out of Shanghai the size of a football or an infant. The sandwich evolves and broadens as we do, without abandoning the intent that informs it and animates it. A hot dog is a sandwich. A taco is a sandwich. God bless them, God bless America, God bless sandwiches.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what does american nonsense have to do with sausage sandwiches

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Dear God.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
That writer is right on the loving money.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Does GSC know that his birb is really just a sammich?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
More evidence of American unexceptionalism and losingness. News at 11.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sausage chat you say?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sausage chat you say?

No animals were harmed in the making of this gif.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Drugs in [professional] sport: an issue for the federal government (or state, for that matter)?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

Drugs in [professional] sport: an issue for the federal government (or state, for that matter)?

Who cares? its entertainment.

• Locked thread