Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXguGeCcyV8

Quality fight here and by quality I mean "hilariously horrible"

Does Gabi train at Glendale Fighting Club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
If you stood Gabi Garcia next to Holly Holm and said these two woman are going to fight an MMA match and people could only bet based on what they saw right then and there, Holm would be a -10000 underdog going into the fight.

And then she'd knock Garcia out cold inside 30 seconds.

EDIT: Holly would come up to Garcia's shoulder and would give up at least 75 to 100 pounds depending on what kind of steroid regimen Garcia is on. So basically it would be a less extreme version of Kaennorsing vs. Hong Man Choi if Kaennorsing knocked Choi out quickly and in comical fashion.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 2, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
It mus tbe hard to find similar sized competition as it is so why roid up until your arms are bigger than your big head? Dumb question i know. Some people just wanna get more bigger.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXguGeCcyV8

Quality fight here and by quality I mean "hilariously horrible"

There's a lot of professional level cowardice shown in the first minute of this fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

There's a lot of professional level cowardice shown in the first minute of this fight.

She is throwing punches like there is a fly that needs swatting.

Shameful dustwoman.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I thought the part where she backed into the corner in fear and had to be called out by her opponent was pretty awesome.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So to reiterate; one is a world class BJJ fighter, the other is the niece of this guy

You know, the Tongan wrestler that didn't gouge out a dudes eye and bite another dudes nose off. The other one although both of them studied sumo in Japan during the 70s

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 2, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Testekill posted:

You know, the Tongan wrestler that didn't gouge out a dudes eye and bite another dudes nose off. The other one although both of them studied sumo in Japan during the 70s

Links for the non-WWE savvy among us?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Also, Kron's striking was terrible. I counted at least 2 hooks where he was spinning like a ballerina on one foot. It was a great night for Japanese MMA is what I'm saying.

Terrible striking is as much of a Gracie tradition as BJJ is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was a pretty big fan of how gabi got dropped by that right at the beginning.

Tapa's fight losing mistake was letting Gabi reset. She was cruising to a judges victory with sheer output and graft.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
incredible... http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/misc-rizin-news-after-first-events.3141483/

quote:

The Bob Sapp vs. Akebono is going to be reevaluated and maybe overturned. Akebono has asked for a rubber match and Sakakibara is considering it.

make the dream trilogy happen

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love this sport

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Remember 10 years ago when this was the dominant model for MMA instead of joe rogan kissing and stroking sage northcutt's abs.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Don't you fuckers dare take away Bob Sapp's victory from him.

Let him have won more fights in 2015 than Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo combined.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

kimbo305 posted:

Links for the non-WWE savvy among us?

Okay, there are two relatively well known wrestlers from Tonga that were sent to Japan during the 70s to study sumo by the king of Tonga. One of them was the Barbarian who always had a reputation as a tough bastard but the other was Haku/Meng who has a legendary reputation as the toughest man in the wrestling industry and the number one person that you don't want to gently caress with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga_Fifita#Notoriety_and_incidents

quote:

In a shoot interview Bobby Heenan talked extensively about Meng and referred to him as the toughest man he has ever met. The most extreme story he shared was in regards to a bar fight in which he claimed Meng "took his two fingers on his right hand, his index finger and trigger finger, and he reached into the guy's mouth and he broke off the guy's bottom teeth." Heenan said that if he hadn't been there and seen it himself, he wouldn't believe it.

quote:

On March 3, 1989, Fifita got into an altercation with some men at the Baltimore Airport bar who called wrestling "fake", and during the fight, Fifita bit off the nose of one of the men. Fifita stated, "Yeah. It was in Baltimore Airport. There was a hotel there. We were staying at another hotel – the Marriott or something. There was another hotel there, though. It was hopping at the time. The music was playing and it was packed. It was during the week I believe. Me and Siva Afi went over and there were lots of babyfaces there at the bar. So we went and sat in the other corner away from them. When they were ready to close, we had a few drinks, and on our way out there were five guys just sitting there. Of course, the same thing came out. The 'fake' stuff. 'Hey, are you guys with those guys – wrestlers? The fake wrestlers on TV?' You know. I said, 'Yeah. I'll show you.' And I reached over without thinking – there are four other guys there (laughs) – grabbed his face, and bit his nose off. Then the fight started. Me and Siva kind of cleaned house there and left. I'll never forget it (laughs)."

quote:

In a radio interview, Goldberg said "I guarantee you the Steiner Brothers and Meng and the Barbarian would have made a huge splash in the MMA world. I don’t know of a human being alive that could take out Meng in his prime. I really don’t. One story I remember was when it took like 13 guys to get him out of a bar with Ric Flair. He was pepper sprayed and laughed at the cops and broke the cuffs right in front of them. This was a totally different human being."

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Then he went on to headkick the Undertaker in PRIDE.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Then he went on to headkick the Undertaker in PRIDE.

No, that was Hulk Hogan who founded PRIDE as well.

quote:

The hosts asked if Hogan would have had interest in entering MMA if it was popular when he was younger. He said he had some experience when he wrestled in Japan. He said there were a lot of Pride fighters he faced when he wrestled there starting in 1977, and he said he never knew whether he was getting in the ring with a shooter. He also said he thinks UFC just bought Pride.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Bob Sapp just walked into my store and bought a shitload of stuff. He's super nice and a cool dude. He told me he's flying back to Japan tonight and they're trying to set up a fight with Kimbo Slice in June so I look forward to laughing while watching that.

Also, he's definitely taken some punishment over the years because he had some weird tick with his head that made him shake and he tilt his head all the way down to be able to see his phone. It was sad.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Biodome posted:

Also, he's definitely taken some punishment over the years because he had some weird tick with his head that made him shake and he tilt his head all the way down to be able to see his phone. It was sad.

Oh so it's only permanent brain trauma that is preventing him from winning bouts? I was worried it was something serious

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
There is definitely something very wrong with Sapp, it's sad. He's mentally ill at this point.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
owns https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zi8e8/i_am_kimbo_slice_ama/

BBQ wings recipe:

quote:

lightly season the wings, special sauce, cinnamon sugar, marinade overnight. slice up a decent amount of cayenne pepper black pepper a pinch of sea salt. bbq on the grill or deep fried then immediately glaze it with honey and lemon and serve.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 5, 2016

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Josh Koscheck is injured and out of his Bellator debut.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/6..._source=twitter

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

a 44-year-old with a 4-2 mma record posted:

The opportunity to fight [Fedor] was actually offered to me, I think five weeks out from the actual New Year’s Eve fight. I was honored, but I told the guys, “Listen, that fight, I would love to have. He’s a legend in this sport. Win or lose for me, it would be amazing to get in there.”

But at the same time, I said, “Five weeks is not enough for me to prepare for someone like Fedor. He’s a guy that I don’t want to just jump in there. That’s disrespectful to him and disrespectful to myself.”

I can get ready to fight a kickboxing fight in five weeks. But for me to fight an MMA fight, I want at least 10 weeks to get ready for it. So five weeks wasn’t enough for me to take that fight, and we turned it down. But if that fight was ever offered to me, and I was offered 10 weeks to get ready for it, I would take it in a heartbeat.

:japan:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
He spent 2 years preparing to fight Dave Huckaba and still lost, so 10 weeks to fight Fedor sounds right

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
One FC is implementing a system to have everyone fight near their natural weight and eliminate big cuts. Fighters have to be at or under the weightclass limit 3 weeks out before a fight and they have dehydration testing and a bunch of other procedures. I hope it works out but since people will lie and cheat at every opportunity I think fighters still might figure out how to game this.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/7/10692256/ben-askren-moving-to-middleweight-believes-all-will-eventually

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

One FC is implementing a system to have everyone fight near their natural weight and eliminate big cuts. Fighters have to be at or under the weightclass limit 3 weeks out before a fight and they have dehydration testing and a bunch of other procedures. I hope it works out but since people will lie and cheat at every opportunity I think fighters still might figure out how to game this.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/7/10692256/ben-askren-moving-to-middleweight-believes-all-will-eventually

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570181&pagenumber=198&perpage=40#post454181064

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Missed that, only heard about it after the Askren article today. I'll guess I'll ask this here. Does anyone know how accurate dehydration tests are/how easy they are to fool?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Missed that, only heard about it after the Askren article today.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, I was just linking you so you could see the previous discussion.

quote:

I'll guess I'll ask this here. Does anyone know how accurate dehydration tests are/how easy they are to fool?

That's a pretty good question.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If it's a blood draw, pretty drat hard. There's not a lot of stuff that's chemically similar to water or electrolytes that won't flat out kill you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

weren't they doing it by urinalysis and specific gravity? I.e. if your piss is too salty, you fail. That might be hard to fool too.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
breathtaking padwork from royce, my goodness

https://www.instagram.com/p/-hTWkOr8Ny/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

breathtaking padwork from royce, my goodness

https://www.instagram.com/p/-hTWkOr8Ny/

It seems like it's definitely taking Royce's breath away anyway.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
omfg those jabs at the end....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's because he's wearing weighted clothing. Once he's back in his pajamas those elbows will be like lightning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is the guy holding the mitts okay?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

omfg those jabs at the end....

Good to know I could literally murder that old man.

How is that something someone would see and think, "yeah, this should be made public"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Good to know I could literally murder that old man.

How is that something someone would see and think, "yeah, this should be made public"

I don't think Royce keeps anyone around him who'll tell him things he doesn't want to hear, or else somebody probably would have informed him that Hughes was going to do grevious damage to his brain.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I don't think Royce keeps anyone around him who'll tell him things he doesn't want to hear, or else somebody probably would have informed him that Hughes was going to do grevious damage to his brain.

That video is literal day one poo poo for someone who has never moved quickly or participated in a sport before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I never bothered to watch the video and thought everyone was being serious.

Just watched it there and glad to see the sarcasm is still strong in PSP