Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

timp posted:

Season 4 had a tie-in to 2, and this season has had tie-ins to 1 and 3, so maybe there are two universes, an 'Even" universe and an "Odd" universe?

I'd be okay with this. At least it's a more creative approach to suddenly sharing universes than "Actually what if the person who checks in is QUEENIE and then CONSTANCE shows up and says something bitchy and and and.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I think I really liked Donovan dying in the street and nobody batting a loving eye.

Evan Peters is the hero this season deserves and oh my god I felt so bad for Mare Winningham but she took that rejection like a champ.

Good job making Sally more hosed up and depressing but in a stupid way, I guess. She's already stuck in that outfit for all time.

Also Scarlett continues to be the voice of reason for this season and I kinda want her to grow up to be a monster-hunting rear end-kicker. Or at the very least to be the one character to walk away and have a happy ending out of all of this, poor girl.

I'm legitimately looking forward to next episode to see how this all ends with the hotel getting terrible reviews online and nobody coming to stay anymore and probably a SWAT team kicking down the door.

In the long run, I think the thing that sums up this season the most is Ramona going to fight the Countess, and the Countess says "I really don't want to, I just want to walk away. How about we gently caress instead?" and then they bang and then she dies anyway. That seems to be the moment that is the most succinct summary of this entire season. That or Donovan whiteboy-dancing to Hotline Bling, so happy he killed his love's love.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pan Dulce posted:

She was sad they'd never find her body and thus, give her a proper burial outside. Constance dragged her corpse there after shooting her in the eye. I'd think if it left, she'd be free. The others died on the property, so even if they are buried elsewhere, the property keeps them forever. /Ryan Murphy logic

My impression is that the more 'evil' done in a location, the greater its hold on future ghosts. There aren't ghosts absolutely everywhere because it takes a lot of concentrated suffering to form the anchor. When March was killing construction workers by the dozen there were no ghosts haunting him. I don't think we see any ghosts that predate March's own death. It took dozens or hundreds of violent deaths for the evil of the hotel to become strong enough to trap spirits. By the modern day anyone with unfinished business can be trapped, and if the swedish girls are anything to go by then unfinished business can be as trivial as "never got to see univeral studios".

Murder house only had about 20 known violent deaths and by the modern day was able to trap 100% of those who die on the premises, no unfinished business required. It's a much smaller property than the hotel though, so maybe it works on some sort of evil per sq. foot formula. Though considering the oldest ghost Nora was one of the original residents of the house when it was new, it seems like they were probably including all the illegal abortions as part of the 'evil' used to forge the anchor for the house. There would certainly be a lot of pain, blood, fear, and emotional anguish involved in illegal abortions at the time, so I guess it works out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hostile V posted:

I'm legitimately looking forward to next episode to see how this all ends with the hotel getting terrible reviews online and nobody coming to stay anymore

Those rear end in a top hat "influencers" get the last laugh.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
The last ten seconds or so of the last episode were great. There's just so much expression in the faces of both Peters and Gaga when they toast and drink. it's a pretty rare subtle approach from a show that's always so over-the-top it's almost beating you over the head with every plot device.

Someone once posted in the Freak Show thread that it must have been weird for Pepper to go from the Freak Show to an Asylum controlled by sister Jude who looks exactly like Elsa Mars. In that case Queenie's last hours must have been the trippiest Deja Vu. First she's greeted by two women who look exactly like the undead racist she had to take care of and her school's caretaker wearing a dress, then in her hotel bathroom she's jumped by the spitting image of her old voodoo priestess and finally stabbed by her schoolmates' lover's doppelganger (I'm just glad Murphy didn't force a line into the script about them "looking familiar" or something).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

What even happened to Ramona after her and Gaga banged? She had all that witch's blood but didn't do anything with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Duke posted:

What even happened to Ramona after her and Gaga banged? She had all that witch's blood but didn't do anything with it.

Far as I remember, the fade on them starting to make out was the last we saw of her.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For all we know Ramona could be dead now. The countess could have slit her throat once she had her guard down.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Why aren't Dandy and Alexandra Daddario haunting around the Hotel?

Or Sally's rockstar junkie friends?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what happened to the son of the hotel owner anyway

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh you're that witch with magical powers CNN was talking about. How nice of you to be visiting LA to be on the Price is Right instead of being swept away by a shady government cabal where you'll be studied and tested on for the rest of your life

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Playing cards with Scarlett and Drake's kid during 95% of the season. Seriously though, you'd think Sally would have brought him up to get her to take her other "children's" blood.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Hotel's yet unseen games room has a Ms Pacman machine and everyone is basically there the rest of the time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rofl, dad where are you?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doltos posted:

Oh you're that witch with magical powers CNN was talking about. How nice of you to be visiting LA to be on the Price is Right instead of being swept away by a shady government cabal where you'll be studied and tested on for the rest of your life

That's not really a fault with this season though, that's a fault that's carried over from Coven's dumb "witches are now known and accepted by everybody without question" ending.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

OmegaBR posted:

Playing cards with Scarlett and Drake's kid during 95% of the season. Seriously though, you'd think Sally would have brought him up to get her to take her other "children's" blood.

well poo poo, i just realised i could mean both Bartholomew and Will Drake/Hotline Bling's kid. So both of them are completely unaccounted for. Great.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'd be okay with this. At least it's a more creative approach to suddenly sharing universes than "Actually what if the person who checks in is QUEENIE and then CONSTANCE shows up and says something bitchy and and and.."

If this season ends with the hotel being destroyed by a vengeful Stevie Nicks, I will be too busy laughing to be mad

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBizzness posted:

Why aren't Dandy and Alexandra Daddario haunting around the Hotel?

Or Sally's rockstar junkie friends?

Unlike Murder House not everyone who dies in the hotel is trapped and doomed to haunt the place. The staff thinks it has something to do with 'unfinished business' but honestly those chucklefucks are just guessing. Even the ghosts themselves don't seem to have any certain knowledge of how it works. The Countess seems to be killing dozens of people per year to keep herself and her kids fed, March kills at least one or two at his annual party, and the other hotel denizens probably manage to kill at least a few people a year. Plus the old people suicides and other random deaths any hotel could have. So after all these years there must of have been literally thousands of deaths in the hotel, but from what we've seen there are only a couple dozen ghosts.

Sally seems sure the detective will become a ghost if he dies in the hotel. No one except March seems to have predicted that the countess would become a ghost though. Not big thinkers.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

If I'm being totally honest, Coven was borderline offensive to watch, but somehow, with each passing Hotel episode, I can't help but smile, put my hand on my cheek, and go, "Oh that AHS...."

Coven was loving horrible and every episode made me go "What the gently caress!?" It is among Dexter and Heroes as the great terrible TV shows.

I think I know what it is: Hotel is following it's own internal logic. hosed up, insane, crazy as poo poo internal logic.. but internal logic. Nobody's felt like they've wildly turned out of character at all, it's just that their characters are loving nutty as poo poo.

So it's doing the crazy things that Coven did, but it's not constantly contradicting itself or failing horribly at world building (except the hilarious crossover season stuff). When random things happen out of nowhere (An actor coming back as another character only to die immediately after) it's actually kind of charmingly WTF, because it's not establishing things about the universe and then ignoring them 30 seconds later.

Also the characters feel stupid, but almost in-character stupid. Compared to Coven where the girl with mind control and telekinetic powers gets choked out by a dude she had 100% control over.

... also poo poo's happening all over the place so I'm not locked in Freak Show boredom mode watching Jessica Lang be utterly unlikable (her character, anyway) for 30 minutes.

Doltos posted:

We know the police can show up and arrest people at the hotel so I think their choice of a celebrity victim with magic powers was a pretty bad idea for a whole lot of reasons.

I mean they won't but shouldn't like a bunch of witch lackies and coven people show up looking for her in a week, as well as the police? They all know she was going to check in at the Cortez and they literally went out of their way to show they had magic that would let them know PRECISELY what happened the second they stepped foot in the place.

Then again if they end this season with the Season 3 cast burning down the hotel and everyone dying, it'll be such a glorious cluster gently caress nobody'd see it's like again

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't really see it end any other way unless the supreme shows up for queenie. She is one of the supremes first students and the only other high their witch left from a season they brought everyone back from the dead.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The description for next week's episode says Billie Dean Howard will show up so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

coronatae posted:

The description for next week's episode says Billie Dean Howard will show up so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Oh, they'll probably say a few lines and then die.

Maybe something like "Why, this place is.... PURE EVIL!"

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I hope season 6 is shot on a lunar colony and characters from Nip/Tuck and Glee show up for one episode to go WHOA THIS PLACE IS SPOOKY and then die to make poo poo happen that ends up being irrelevant anyway

Make it happen Murphy

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I hope season 6 is shot on a lunar colony and characters from Nip/Tuck and Glee show up for one episode to go WHOA THIS PLACE IS SPOOKY and then die to make poo poo happen that ends up being irrelevant anyway

Don't forget Popular, Scream Queens & The Glee Project. There are many characters who could die from those shows.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lady Gaga just won a Golden Globe.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I think she deserves it. Her acting has been so good in this show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

No way she deserves an award more than Evan Peters. I don't think he was nominated but still.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah she's been fine and much better than I expected but she's not even top 5 on this show alone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Golden Globes are kind of a sham and "Lady Gaga wins an award for AHS: Hotel" drums up a lot more buzz than any other actor on the show winning one.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

lol i think gagabutt helped a lot

https://vine.co/v/iMAHYTw00bH

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Over Kirsten Dunst's performance in Fargo? What the hell!?!?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

lol i think gagabutt helped a lot

https://vine.co/v/iMAHYTw00bH

Dude on the upper story got caught peeping

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah she's been fine and much better than I expected but she's not even top 5 on this show alone.

Really? I agree Peters is the best, but I'd say she is top 5. She did a great job as the countess, I'd probably rank them as 1. Peters 2. O'hare 3. Paulson 4. Gaga 5. Bates

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

The smartest thing she did was restrain the fawning like they did with Lang. She's had zero musical numbers (I won't even be mad if there's one), and zero "wink wink my celebrity life" overt moments. Sure the role might have tailored a bit to her strengths, but it doesn't feel like a celebrity guest appearance like I honestly expected it to.

Long story short they are treating her like any other actress, with a slight bit more screen time, and not like a singer cameo. So I'll give them some props because restraint isn't something I'd list on their strengths list, usually.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

somnambulist posted:

Really? I agree Peters is the best, but I'd say she is top 5. She did a great job as the countess, I'd probably rank them as 1. Peters 2. O'hare 3. Paulson 4. Gaga 5. Bates

I guess you have a point, she is probably top 5.

She definitely didn't deserve it over Kirsten Dunst though, she was amazing on Fargo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheBizzness posted:

I think Gaga suffers from a really, really boring character. gently caress it's a god drat vampire countess. She's doing the best with it. Paulson is also doing fantastic with a character I hate and find extremely annoying. It's hard to stand out as a good actress when your character is so insufferable. For all the faults in AHS they do have some really solid actors and actresses doing their best with poo poo parts.

somnambulist posted:

One thing I had a problem with is Evan Peters playing the role of Marsh. He just looks like a teenager wearing a fake mustache. No fault to him, it just seems like he's too young for the role. O'hare would be my number 1 but they took too long to develop his character so he spent most of the season sounding like a straight guy trying to be gay. His side-story was probably the best piece of acting in the season right next to Bates' and her reactions to her son's various deaths. On one hand I'm glad they didn't break down O'hare's Lady Godiva facade too much but on the other hand it would have been nice to see O'hare let loose more. He's a drat good actor. My top 5 would be 1. O'hare 2. Paulson 3. Bates 4. Peters 5. Gaga.

My bottom 5 would be 5. Rich fashion designer who was on 30 rock for that one season 4. Chloe Sevigny 3. Dude who plays Donovan 2. The swedish girls 1. The idiot who plays the Detective and thinks he's Christian Bale

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

One thing I had a problem with is Evan Peters playing the role of Marsh. He just looks like a teenager wearing a fake mustache. No fault to him, it just seems like he's too young for the role.

He's 28, he just has a bit of a babyface. March would have had to make his fortune very early in life, and started building the hotel by the time he was 25 which does seem unlikely but not impossible.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Doltos posted:

The idiot who plays the Detective and thinks he's Christian Bale

Christian Bale acting as Batman.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Y'know actually I think you could have Peters play Liz Taylor and O'Hare play March and it'd still be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spoeank posted:

The Golden Globes are kind of a sham and "Lady Gaga wins an award for AHS: Hotel" drums up a lot more buzz than any other actor on the show winning one.

You know how when you go into something with VERY low expectations, so anything that's actually good seems amazing? Might be part of it.

I full expected this to be terrible casting and was surprised. Where as Dunst has been a serious actor for ages (with a career derailed by Spider-Man for about a decade). I'll give Gaga this: As far as singers-turned-actors go, she's pulled it off far better than most.

Then again the fact in reality she's started out as a geeky songwriter and music prodigy and her whole persona is a creation means she probably gets to practice acting 24/7.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 12, 2016

• Locked thread