Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
high six
Feb 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Color coded cables and ends like you mentioned. Get velcro straps instead of zip ties. You can also buy port locks for things like ethernet ports to keep people from plugging their own poo poo in or trying to help and swapping the wrong cables. Once you've got a standard take a couple of good pictures and use those to create a diagram that you can stick to the side of the POS or something so you walk people through things as needed.

And people will certainly do this. Had to drive about 4 hours to a client facility because their entire network went down. Get there, find out that, in addition to the gateway dying, someone had decided to go get a lovely router from Walmart to plug into the wall so they could have more ethernet ports for their personal printer or something. The router had DHCP on, though, and was handing out IP addresses to about half the facility. So, had to spend a while hunting through a nursing home at about 11pm on a Friday evening to find the damned thing, and then they got pissed me when I pulled it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is why proper port security is not optional.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Color coded cables and ends like you mentioned. Get velcro straps instead of zip ties. You can also buy port locks for things like ethernet ports to keep people from plugging their own poo poo in or trying to help and swapping the wrong cables. Once you've got a standard take a couple of good pictures and use those to create a diagram that you can stick to the side of the POS or something so you walk people through things as needed.

I use multi-color zip ties.

Stay with me, not to zip tie them to the rack or etc, but I put a zip tie on the end of the CAT5 or CAT6 cable just to color code the network cable. Not zip tied to anything, just around the cable itself.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CommieGIR posted:

Stay with me, not to zip tie them to the rack or etc, but I put a zip tie on the end of the CAT5 or CAT6 cable just to color code the network cable. Not zip tied to anything, just around the cable itself.

For small amounts of cable I used to do this but also use combinations (two or more zip ties of different sizes/colors)... then I got a loving LABEL MACHINEEEEEEE (gently caress zip ties).

I still use zip ties for structure bundling (ie. inside/through walls and large bundles going in the same direction..

Also, the single most important tool for running cable: a Cable WeaveComb. Then a label machine.

deimos fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 9, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kirios posted:

ASAs are fantastic pieces of hardware. Can't you get a 5505 for 200 bucks nowadays? It even does upwards of 100 mbps w/ AES.

zenless just let one go for like $40 it looks like?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756905&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post454124420

CommieGIR posted:

Colored electrical tape works better and doesn't add bulk. Labels are best but hard to spot at a distance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

high six posted:

And people will certainly do this. Had to drive about 4 hours to a client facility because their entire network went down. Get there, find out that, in addition to the gateway dying, someone had decided to go get a lovely router from Walmart to plug into the wall so they could have more ethernet ports for their personal printer or something. The router had DHCP on, though, and was handing out IP addresses to about half the facility. So, had to spend a while hunting through a nursing home at about 11pm on a Friday evening to find the damned thing, and then they got pissed me when I pulled it out.

Oh yeah I've learned this lesson the hard way. When I use to live in remote western Alaska every trip to the villages where we had offices was an expensive plane trip and usually an overnight. I'd set port security on our ASAs and switches and people would get fed up with slow satellite internet and try yanking cords and swapping ports as if that would help somehow. Finally got fed up and bought these plastic port blockers and then these locks that kept existing cables in place. That worked %99 of the time until some village public safety officer thought he could re-peak a satellite dish by eye to get faster internet.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Good luck with this, our MSP supports 2200 retail locations, and we've tried stuff like this it doesn't work. The need to "Get poo poo Fixed" will chop away at a good portion of organization, honestly, if you are going to put money into stuff, get structured cabling and managed switches that you can log into from wherever you are.

If you want, you could pilot the velcro straps and coded ends etc etc at 30-40 locations for 2-3 months and see what it looks like afterwards, your experience may differ from ours since our client does have issues that other retail locations wouldn't because they handle vehicle services as well (brake dust fucks poo poo up hardcore)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No VPN licenses/warranty on that one though.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

deimos posted:

Also, the single most important tool for running cable: a Cable Weave. Then a label machine.

What's a cable weave tool? I tried googling for it but it came up with knitting stuff and a rug pattern

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Danith posted:

What's a cable weave tool? I tried googling for it but it came up with knitting stuff and a rug pattern

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Comb-Dresser-Bundler-Organizing/dp/B00AA0SGHY

Cable Comb.

Best thing ever.

if you need a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdcvcB9jsw

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 9, 2016

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

KillHour posted:

This is why proper port security is not optional.

ARP-Protect is a lovely thing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That was my thought as well; going to have to mock it up in the lab environment and make sure it looks good and then pilot a couple stores.

MF_James posted:

Good luck with this, our MSP supports 2200 retail locations, and we've tried stuff like this it doesn't work. The need to "Get poo poo Fixed" will chop away at a good portion of organization, honestly, if you are going to put money into stuff, get structured cabling and managed switches that you can log into from wherever you are.

If you want, you could pilot the velcro straps and coded ends etc etc at 30-40 locations for 2-3 months and see what it looks like afterwards, your experience may differ from ours since our client does have issues that other retail locations wouldn't because they handle vehicle services as well (brake dust fucks poo poo up hardcore)

In fairness we're handling less than 40 locations, so the ones we're able to easily get to we should be able to keep an eye on.

e:

Holy poo poo that rules. :aaaaa:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 9, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Err yeah, comb, thanks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

OWLS! posted:

Not surprised in the least. loving rednecks.

catching up with the thread so I know this is a few days old, but when I first started here I saw a notification go out from our Montana Branch. A couple locals decided to play target practice with some birds chilling on a fiber trunk and caused an outage. I asked my boss about it, who lived in Montana for a few years, and his reaction was basically "yeah that sounds about right."

We no longer own that branch of the company.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Renegret posted:

catching up with the thread so I know this is a few days old, but when I first started here I saw a notification go out from our Montana Branch. A couple locals decided to play target practice with some birds chilling on a fiber trunk and caused an outage. I asked my boss about it, who lived in Montana for a few years, and his reaction was basically "yeah that sounds about right."

We no longer own that branch of the company.

The top character of your new avatar should be replaced with headset dog. Please do the needful.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Karanth posted:

The top character of your new avatar should be replaced with headset dog. Please do the needful.

Yeah that thought passed my mind too but that is far, far beyond my skill

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My company finally adopted Slack. It is quite wonderful especially since it integrates with Salesforce so we get the cases into a channel. Much better than dealing with the arcane rituals associated with Salesforce to find a case.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pr0digal posted:

My company finally adopted Slack. It is quite wonderful especially since it integrates with Salesforce so we get the cases into a channel. Much better than dealing with the arcane rituals associated with Salesforce to find a case.

I feel like Slack is IRC with a modern UI. Which is great because I grew up with IRC and like it just fine, it's just that most people aren't able or willing to learn it (and they shouldn't have to).

My only real complaint is that the windows app doesn't let you keep all your direct message contacts on the list to the left, it only shows the most recent 15 or whatever. Any way to change that behavior that you know of?

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

quote:

Hi Belial42,

I can't stand to type on these keyboards here at work because they are not mechanical. To remedy this situation, I brought in my old gaming keyboard which is a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Edition. Usually, most keyboards have plug and play functionality, but Razer's keyboards do not. I have tried a few work arounds, but it was to no avail.

This keyboard will light up and it does show up under Device Manager, but it shows up with an error. Windows Update (usually) automatically installs the driver for this, but it says that there is no driver found. I am assuming this is due to Group Policy objects that are currently in place for the cbb domain and/or WSUS. I don't want to take myself off of the domain in an attempt to install this driver while on a workgroup either.

I know the keyboard is working just fine, I tested it on two systems before I brought it in. Since it will not automatically download the driver that is needed in order for the keyboard to function properly, I was wondering if you could allow the update to be pushed through WSUS and/or Windows Update. I'm assuming that this would fix the issue.

Please get back to me ASAP and leave this ticket in an open state so I can see it upon my return next week.

Thank you so much in advance for anything you are able to do for me. If a solution cannot be made, that's just fine, I will have to get a different mechanical keyboard that does not require driver installation for functionality (UPnP).

Thanks again in advance.

-Tier 1 Night Analyst

That came in on my birthday. Best laugh I've had in a long time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The best part of the Razer BlackWidow is that it's heavy and sturdy enough to beat it's user to death with it for using blues in the workplace.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Razer deathstalker ultimate gaming keyboard is a bargain at £229.99

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

The best part of the Razer BlackWidow is that it's heavy and sturdy enough to beat it's user to death with it for using blues in the workplace.

CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA-CLICKA

I get it. I like the tactile feel of mechanicals as well, but I'm not so much of dick that I'm going to use it in the office. I can see it in a work environment like data entry or programming where people can headphone away external noise, but at any one time, at least two or more people in my team are on the phone in project meetings.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Belial42 posted:

That came in on my birthday. Best laugh I've had in a long time.

That guy sounds like the most sanctimonious tryhard ever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why would you pay $340 for a keyboard with LEDs when the best keyboard known to man retails for about $30?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you can get clicky keyboards for way less than that razer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Why would you pay $340 for a keyboard with LEDs when the best keyboard known to man retails for about $30?

That's not a das keyboard or a model m. :colbert:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

spankmeister posted:

you can get clicky keyboards for way less than that razer

They would probably last longer too, as razer products are notorious for having lovely longetivity.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Split keyboards? Hell no, thank you.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Razer also now ships keyboards with their own mechanical switches which last I checked were worse than the Cherry switches most other mechanical boards use

lol @ both him asking to push his special snowflake driver through WU and a keyboard that won't work at all with basic drivers

At least if he's night support there may not be anyone to bother with clicky keys?

Edit: is it actually blues? I use a non-clicketyclack mechanical at work and its no louder than typical OEM keyboards

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 11, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd blacklist Razer's VID just to mess with him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

whattup microsoft ergonomic keyboard buddy! It IS the best keyboard, I game with it as well!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MF_James posted:

whattup microsoft ergonomic keyboard buddy! It IS the best keyboard, I game with it as well!

I've had that keyboard going on 5+ years now. I love everything about it.

Thanks to whoever in this thread recommended Confluence. I'm getting some spaces and pages created now during my trial period and am loving it. I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of what it can do too, I havent even started to look at plugins or anything yet. Thankfully were small enough to avoid there insane licensing price jump too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Razer also now ships keyboards with their own mechanical switches which last I checked were worse than the Cherry switches most other mechanical boards use

lol @ both him asking to push his special snowflake driver through WU and a keyboard that won't work at all with basic drivers

At least if he's night support there may not be anyone to bother with clicky keys?

Edit: is it actually blues? I use a non-clicketyclack mechanical at work and its no louder than typical OEM keyboards
The model he listed uses those Razer-branded Chinese knockoffs you're talking about.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Migishu posted:

The best thing about split keyboards is watching the expression of people who have never used one before when you ask them to type something. Well that and my wrists don't hate me any more.

It took a few hours to get used to it, but once you go ergonomic you don't go back. :frogc00l:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, I'm not the only one that loves this keyboard more than is reasonable?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Migishu posted:

I also hate this.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Migishu posted:

I love Microsoft keyboards but the split ones make my brain melt.

Edit: I've brought the MS keyboard I've got now to 3 of my last 4 jobs and it turns 10 years old in 2017.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Filco Majestouch with blues for life when working from home

Although I'd probably use something with Realforce or tactile non-clicky Cherry switches at work instead.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Managed to get a Logitech with cherry mx blues for $50 and I love using it but lol if you want to use one in the office. Maybe if you hated everyone within earshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The web filter went wonky and started blocking all internet traffic.

Cue six angry voicemails and nearly twenty tickets in the four minute period it took me to restart the thing.

Everything runs too smoothly around here. I kind of miss the literal fires at the station :stare:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread