Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, one of them is reading the card on the table in front of you and one of them requires information entirely outside of the game

but yeah other than that exactly the same
It isn't "entirely outside of the game" when you can ask for the oracle text of any card at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It isn't "entirely outside of the game" when you can ask for the oracle text of any card at any time.

People are hung up on the notion that he got wrecked because he didn't have esoteric knowledge of an older card. The actual issue is that he didn't bother naming the card he wanted correctly.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Well right or wrong, that's how you avoid the problem and almost everyone under utilizes their judges as if calling a sidebar with a judge makes them a lesser player. It is a very good skill to develop and will win you games I promise.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Fifth Dawn Bikini Girl buyout? Time for me to profit, I bought them at like $15.

This is an example of a totally MTGFINANCE buyout because the decks she works in are not Modern competitive outside of spiking random tourneys. It's like investing in Mistbind Clique when Faeries does its annual/biannual performance where it does real good on Day 1 of some tourney.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Fifth Dawn Bikini Girl buyout? Time for me to profit, I bought them at like $15.

This is an example of a totally MTGFINANCE buyout because the decks she works in are not Modern competitive outside of spiking random tourneys. It's like investing in Mistbind Clique when Faeries does its annual/biannual performance where it does real good on Day 1 of some tourney.

There are like 7 copies in the wild so if two people wanted to buy playsets it would be a "buyout."

The card has had a ridiculous price for its entire life because it's a fifth dawn card.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm tempted to try out Magic Online. Is it still a thing? Is it worth it?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's worse than the online version of a game of Magic's popularity from a company of Hasbro's size should be, but it's better than most of the vocal reactions you'll find to that question on the internet would lead you to believe.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

People are hung up on the notion that he got wrecked because he didn't have esoteric knowledge of an older card. The actual issue is that he didn't bother naming the card he wanted correctly.

Exactly. Like I said, all he needed to have done would be to make sure that the card he selected was uniquely identifiable as the card he wanted. It doesn't matter if Plain Borborygmos is a poo poo card, just like in the VSL nobody's gonna say "oh man why is LSV naming Abandon Hope?". He hosed up, he didn't make sure he made the right choice, even after he asked a Judge.
List of things that would have been okay:
"The Borborygmos with the land discard ability"
"That green and red guy I've seen you get into play with the spell" (If he'd seen it)
"The Borborwhatever guy, the one you played last game"
"Judge? I want to name that card, can you give me the oracle name?"
"Borborygmos, but I want to be clear that we're thinking of the same one."
"Borborygmos Enraged, Gatecrash Mythic Rare, collector's number #147, art by Aleksi Briclot, costs 4RRGG (CMC 7), Legendary Creature - Cyclops, [the entire card text], 7/6"

Literally anything other than the one that uniquely identified an entire other card would have been fine (or at least, not WRONG)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not to mention that they have access to decklists, so you can always say "The Griselbrand that's in his deck" just in case there was a new version of Griselbrand printed that you missed out on or something.

Honestly this is pretty funny, I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you were expecting something around 20% of people to run affinity would you still do that? I'm starting modern with merfolk, but when I walked around last week there were at least 6-8 affinity players out of 40 and at least one lantern player. 4 hurkyls is a lot of room in the sideboard, but basically conceding 1 match per night is not really too appealing either

If I were going into the format expecting 20% affinity, I would either:

A) Borrow a friend's deck and not play fish.

or

B) Run 4 Steel Sabotage over Hurkyl's Recall

The reason for B is that Hurkyl's Recall is great, but honestly, you need to permanently answer 1 of 2 cards, Ravager or Cranial Plating. Steel Sabotage allows you to do that, for 1 mana. That combined with the dismember/vapor snags you have in the main/board should be enough to give you some game. Again, affinity is bad, but I think steel sabotage is just better than hurkyl's. Hurkyl's slows them down for a turn, but since all their stuff is so cheap it can just be recast. Steel Sabotage acts as blue artifact hate against affinity that can bounce an artifact in a pinch. It is also better against Lantern control, which though a small percentage of the meta, is also a horrible matchup for fish. You would think Hurkyl's would be better, but Lantern tends to run some number of Leyline of Sanctity in the board, and Leyline into t3 Bridge is unbeatable. but with Steel Sabotage you can bounce the offending permanent well enough, or counter it on the way down.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I was testing an eldrazi aggro build and I just had the most funny nut draw ever:

Turn 1: Eye of Ugin, 2x Eldrazi Mimic
Turn 2: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, take a card from opponent's hand and attack for 8
Turn 3: Ghost Quarter, Reality Smasher, attack for 19

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sigma-X posted:

There are like 7 copies in the wild so if two people wanted to buy playsets it would be a "buyout."

The card has had a ridiculous price for its entire life because it's a fifth dawn card.

Low supply an player interest can never be the reason a cards price rises sharply. It is always the mtgfinance Illuminati!!!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

jassi007 posted:

Low supply an player interest can never be the reason a cards price rises sharply. It is always the mtgfinance Illuminati!!!

Every time I buy 100 mulldrifters for a penny I don't buy a play set of auriok champs for $80. The key to MTG finance is either not do it or be 100% sure you don't have mats for an impromptu gallows in your living room.

We need shorthand for when a cards price hits "no loving way until the reprint happens"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bonus posted:

I was testing an eldrazi aggro build and I just had the most funny nut draw ever:

Turn 1: Eye of Ugin, 2x Eldrazi Mimic
Turn 2: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, take a card from opponent's hand and attack for 8
Turn 3: Ghost Quarter, Reality Smasher, attack for 19

Can you post your list? I really like this idea.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sure. This is a very rough draft and it probably needs a lot of work, but the idea is to have curve-outs like those as often as possible. Not sure about Oblivion Sowers since they don't really ramp you into anything much, but I like it that they're 5/8s and you can often cast a sower, get some lands and then cast another eldrazi in the same turn.

4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Relic of Progenitus
1 Expedition Map
2 Oblivion Sower
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Dismember
3 Eye of Ugin
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Eldrazi Temple
3 Swamp
2 Warping Wail
2 Mind Stone
4 Blight Herder
3 Caves of Koilos
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 Darkblast
SB: 4 Vampiric Link
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
SB: 1 Duress

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I would've never even thought of being a jackass enough to try to "get" my opponent on Borborygmos vs Borborygmos Enraged. Did he end up losing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I would've never even thought of being a jackass enough to try to "get" my opponent on Borborygmos vs Borborygmos Enraged. Did he end up losing?

Yes, he lost in the finals to jund.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Yes, he lost in the finals to jund.

Who did he "get" with it? The Jund player? Also Jund is Dead, Long Live Jund.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Who did he "get" with it? The Jund player? Also Jund is Dead, Long Live Jund.

He ended up winning his match with his "gotcha". To be fair he was on a 2 turn clock anyway with his opponent in top deck mode and was going to win anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

He ended up winning his match with his "gotcha". To be fair he was on a 2 turn clock anyway with his opponent in top deck mode and was going to win anyway.

So even less of a reason to pull that... It just looks bad for competitive Magic if you ask me. The Decklists are public in a top 8. It's 100% sure to everyone in the building what card was being named.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

So even less of a reason to pull that... It just looks bad for competitive Magic if you ask me. The Decklists are public in a top 8. It's 100% sure to everyone in the building what card was being named.

Its already been argued in circles 20 times over with by now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The answer is to ban Borborygmos so that it is no longer part of Modern and thus not a valid card to name with pithing needle et. al.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh man i've never seen a HD version of Yawgmoth's Bargain until today and it turns out the dude in the robes is giving Yawggie his eye, that owns, look at this mang

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also for that matter, Yawgmoth looks cool as heck, does he have any other art?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think he's technically the black cloud at the back of Last Stand. I don't think that was supposed to be him on Yawgmoth's Bargain but idk, they didn't exactly have tight creative control or consistency at that point

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

also for that matter, Yawgmoth looks cool as heck, does he have any other art?

Technically anyway.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sutfin is such a great artist, Victauriok's Secret model aside. Barrin, Compulsive Research, Hex, all fantastic. He had only one card in Shards and none since. RIP good magic art.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
huh apparently they're getting rid of all but like 2 of the weekly columns

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

are they getting rid of maro's?

please god please

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

They got rid of their forums because they can just use Reddit (even though it can't be much effort to maintain the MTG forums) so getting rid of their columns and relying on SCG and ChannelFireball for promotion is the next logical step. Presumably they'll shut down Gatherer and just use magiccards.info for oracle text.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did that offsite judge site come back up post-drama? Relying on external services seems bad, but what do I know.

edit: especially loving Reddit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

quote:

To summarize, here's what the new DailyMTG is going to look like for the foreseeable future
•More content producers, more flexible content—we'll write about anything and everything without worrying about restrictive column slots.
•A greater focus on the world of Magic at large.
•Making Magic and Latest Developments remain the same. Uncharted Realms becomes Official Magic Fiction.
•The Daily Magic Update will let you know the latest on what's happening in the world of Magic: The Gathering today.
•The Top 25 and Daily Decks will move into The Daily Magic Update.
•We're retiring Arcanas, but not some of the cool content we often stuck in them.
•DailyMTG is evolving. Don't expect DailyMTG to look the same a year from now. Our goal is to deliver the best experience for people who love Magic everywhere. This is just step one.

lol at "Official Magic Fiction"

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

odiv posted:

Did that offsite judge site come back up post-drama? Relying on external services seems bad, but what do I know.

edit: especially loving Reddit.

Yes, magicjudges.org is back up

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lancelot posted:

are they getting rid of maro's?

please god please

Maro's column is like the only one worth reading outside of previews, what are you talking about

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bonus posted:

Sure. This is a very rough draft and it probably needs a lot of work, but the idea is to have curve-outs like those as often as possible. Not sure about Oblivion Sowers since they don't really ramp you into anything much, but I like it that they're 5/8s and you can often cast a sower, get some lands and then cast another eldrazi in the same turn.

4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Relic of Progenitus
1 Expedition Map
2 Oblivion Sower
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Dismember
3 Eye of Ugin
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Eldrazi Temple
3 Swamp
2 Warping Wail
2 Mind Stone
4 Blight Herder
3 Caves of Koilos
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 Darkblast
SB: 4 Vampiric Link
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
SB: 1 Duress

I don't think you should run an aggro build at the same time as a Processor build. I think they're probably different decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How was the new "improved" coverage for the GP? I wasn't really in touch with MTG at all this weekend.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Terrible casters, for starters.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Presumably they'll shut down Gatherer and just use magiccards.info for oracle text.

This would be an improvement

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic posted:

How was the new "improved" coverage for the GP? I wasn't really in touch with MTG at all this weekend.

CFB ran the GP so it was their coverage, not WotC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

This would be an improvement

I still pine for comments.

• Locked thread