Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

greatn posted:

He also imitated the mannerisms of James Earl Jones fairly well, you don't really notice unless you look for it.

That too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This comes up a lot in these discussions, but Shattered Glass has a quite a good performance from Hayden as well.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

This comes up a lot in these discussions, but Shattered Glass has a quite a good performance from Hayden as well.

It's because it's not Hayden's acting people seem to have an issue with, it's that his purposeful performance wasn't what people wanted Vader to be like, and for that reason they think he was bad

It's a huge shame that he gets poo poo on for his performance because it's interesting and good

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Hayden Christensen did a great job as Anakin, but I guess that's in part informed by him being the guy I saw in the role. Anakin comes off as a guy who is kind of self-righteous and a whiner at heart, even when he's trying to play it cool. It's a lot harder to pull off a believably pathetic character than any kind of badass archetype.

I do agree that he and Natalie Portman had no chemistry and that she was kind of stilted even though she's an excellent actress, but I guess I never thought of it as a casting issue.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
No, it's not. Interesting and good? Driver.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Quick question, I am going to have to assume that it was for a little laugh but Finn going from sanitation -->???--> death squad seems silly. Like at any moment you can be walking through a hallway and someone can shove a gun in your hand and send you to massacre a village. I mean there is a serious dianoga infestation that is causing a back up in the bathrooms in Sector B.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

greatn posted:

He also imitated the mannerisms of James Earl Jones fairly well, you don't really notice unless you look for it.

He's good in Life as a House which predated his appearing in Star Wars, and some other movie where he's a clone to be harvested for organs in a romantic relationship with another clone, can't remember the name of that one.

Parts: the Clonus Horror?

Wasn't Ewan McGregor in the Michael Bay remake?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How the gently caress did a dianoga get on the death star anyway?

Also I think for the stormtroopers they were all expected to have station tasks apart from combat. Fully trained soldier and X job.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I think at this point I enjoy watching the prequels more than the OT

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

Parts: the Clonus Horror?

Wasn't Ewan McGregor in the Michael Bay remake?

This was actually not based on that or the island, but a different book.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

corn in the fridge posted:

But do you enjoy them for their own sake? A very important distinction.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

rear end Catchcum posted:

No, it's not. Interesting and good? Driver.

poo poo yeah, he does play a pretty similar character. I don't know if I preferred his performance to Hayden's, but I'll definitely think on that the next time I watch TFA.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

greatn posted:

Also I think for the stormtroopers they were all expected to have station tasks apart from combat. Fully trained soldier and X job.

This is how I saw it as well, kinda like how soldiers actually do have duties beyond the actual soldiering part.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

poo poo yeah, he does play a pretty similar character. I don't know if I preferred his performance to Hayden's, but I'll definitely think on that the next time I watch TFA.

Lol this is such a sarcastic "gently caress you" response.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's because it's not Hayden's acting people seem to have an issue with, it's that his purposeful performance wasn't what people wanted Vader to be like, and for that reason they think he was bad

It's a huge shame that he gets poo poo on for his performance because it's interesting and good

That is completely misrepresenting the problems people have with his performance. You can see specific issues called out all throughout this

He's pretty great in some scenes but with a CGI character from a Cartoon Network TV show, The Clone Was, has more screen presence than you, you got issues.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

But do you enjoy them for their own sake? A very important distinction.

I don't know what that means and I don't care!!!!

We should talk about how cool star wars is cuz hell, star wars is pretty fricken cool. Take x-wings for example, probably the coolest starship ever, even Y-wings are cool cuz they remind me of old station wagons with the fake wood paneling on the side but one of the ones with a v8 in it so it's actually kinda fast? B-wings? Idk they're a bit weird imo.

What are some other totally rad starships??

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MasterBuilder posted:

Quick question, I am going to have to assume that it was for a little laugh but Finn going from sanitation -->???--> death squad seems silly. Like at any moment you can be walking through a hallway and someone can shove a gun in your hand and send you to massacre a village. I mean there is a serious dianoga infestation that is causing a back up in the bathrooms in Sector B.

This is not strange in the least.

U.S. soldiers all go to the same training and pass the same requirement tests, regardless of whether they're a cook, a truck driver, a sniper, military police, or a secretary. If attacked, they'd all be expected to defend themselves. Even further, the U.S. can recall retired personnel to active duty if necessary.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think this comes up a lot with the PT- people criticizing the films for what they aren't trying to do instead of for what they are trying to do.

The detractors here are a little better about this than most other places at least.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

Lol this is such a sarcastic "gently caress you" response.

That sounded like a genuine response? What more could you want?

Noam Chomsky posted:

That is completely misrepresenting the problems people have with his performance. You can see specific issues called out all throughout this

What specific issues?

Also I think they both have good screen presence?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

How did rats get on ships going from Europe to the New World?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Me too. I know a big part of that is because I've seen the OT so many more times.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I don't know what that means and I don't care!!!!

We should talk about how cool star wars is cuz hell, star wars is pretty fricken cool. Take x-wings for example, probably the coolest starship ever, even Y-wings are cool cuz they remind me of old station wagons with the fake wood paneling on the side but one of the ones with a v8 in it so it's actually kinda fast? B-wings? Idk they're a bit weird imo.

What are some other totally rad starships??

The First Order TIES are sick as hell, as are those Arc Fighters the clones use in ROTS

Coolest fighter is hands down the A-Wing

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 11, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Well, my Superman Anakin wouldn't do that!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Well, my Superman Anakin wouldn't do that!

I've never seen Man of Steel so I only know vaguely about the endless wars on CineD about it, but Superman is at least an established character who has certain standard elements about him. We had never even seen pre-Vader Anakin until the prequels, and all we knew about him was he was the best pilot in the galaxy, an extra-powerful Jedi, a good friend to Obi-Wan, similar to Luke in a way that concerned Owen, and he eventually turned to the Dark Side.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Waffles Inc. posted:

The First Order TIES are sick as hell, as are those Arc Fighters the clones use in ROTS

Coolest fighter is hands down the A-Wing

A-wing was always my favourite to fly in xwing and xwing v tie fighter

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think that A wing looks like poo poo. My favorite fighters from Star Wars are X-Wing tied with Naboo Fighter

My favorite personal Starfighter is those ones from Babylon Five with all the steering rockets.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759682
I made you PT people a thread so this one can die properly return to its regularly scheduled baseless theorizing.

e: nm I didn't realize this was a general and not a TFA-only thread :downs:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I made you PT people a thread so this one can die properly return to its regularly scheduled baseless theorizing.

Nah, still gonna talk about the prequels in here because this is the Star Wars thread.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

Here's a theory: I think Supreme Leader Snoke is bad news! Up to no good, that one. I'll bet my dentures on it!

Anyone else have any interesting theories?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

This thread isn't even that fast moving by comparison, and I doubt the prequel chat is preventing anyone from posting theories. If simply reading an SMG post would cause one to abandon their premonition that Rey is Maz's daughter, then the Empire has already won.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

turtlecrunch posted:

That's a bad OP, mate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Here's a theory: I think Supreme Leader Snoke is bad news! Up to no good, that one. I'll bet my dentures on it!

I think Han Solo escaped at the last minute. You never see the body. Think about it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I was going to say it's fine to stay here, just rename the thread, but gently caress

GonSmithe posted:

Welcome to the Star Wars: The Force Awakens thread! Seeing as the last Star Wars thread was created when Disney bought Star Wars, this thread will also be serving as the general Star Wars thread. Because of that, I need to lay down some rules for this thread.

So I guess disregard me and I closed the thread. Continue as you desire.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there anything actually left to talk about in The Force Awakens? I feel like all of the major points have been hit already.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you think will become of Luke's lightsaber? Well it be used, perhaps to hit another lightsaber? Is Rey's staff made of a cortosis weave?

Well the resistance construct a giant lightsaber on their base to deflect the next Death Star weapon back at them?

Did StarWarsDoneQuick raise enough money to save the animals? Or were they left behind?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Is there anything actually left to talk about in The Force Awakens? I feel like all of the major points have been hit already.

This is what I was thinking, too. There's almost no point in speculating because we won't know any answers until at least more things start leaking.

What more is there to say about TFA until we have the Blu-Ray

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope episode X opens with
STAR WARS
PRESENTLY IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

I hope episode X opens with
STAR WARS
PRESENTLY IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY

It's not Battlestar Wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

My theory is that the force started to awaken then hit the sleep button on the alarm clock and went back to space bed for five more lightminutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

greatn posted:

Well the resistance construct a giant lightsaber on their base to deflect the next Death Star weapon back at them?

This is so ludicrous I almost want to see it happen.

• Locked thread