Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gon found his dad and discovered that he was a huge jerk.

It's ok, because along the journey he realized he was too.

Leorio is the only good person in the entire manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

When you guys keep ending your posts with stuff like "it's a shame that will never happen" and "there won't be a long run" it makes me unironically sad :( Hunter x Hunter is by far my favorite shounen series and it is really depressing that it will likely never end or even resolve a bunch of major character arcs. At least Gon found his dad.
Those were mostly jokes. Mine was at least. I feel like Togashi will one day get around to finishing it. If not him, I remember hearing somewhere that he said his wife will do it if he is unable to. After she finishes Sailor Moon.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Everybody always forgets about Melody :negative:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Asuron posted:

No you're thinking of the second part of his ability. Kanmaru has two forms , the one where he just moves really fast and the one where he he can move faster than what his body allows. So against the dartboard ants, he knew what was coming so he does what you said and is able to stop it.

Mostly he's just gonna use it to run fast. They explain this as he's fighting Youpi as well.

He never uses the first part in combat though, which was the point I was making. He fights Youpi using the reflex stuff because that's the half of the ability that's oriented towards fighting. He can't just speed blitz whatever he wants, he has to turn his body onto autopilot in order to keep up with his own speed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jostiband posted:

Sorry, literal devil music.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Sorry, literal devil music.

She wasn't the one who played that, she just heard it, and it horribly messed up her body. She's now trying to track the rest of it down and destroy it to make sure no one else is exposed to it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jostiband posted:

I don't, she was a cool person and I liked that moment where she told Leorio his heartbeat was comforting and nice and he'd make a much better doctor or professor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't, she was a cool person and I liked that moment where she told Leorio his heartbeat was comforting and nice and he'd make a much better doctor or professor.

Leorio x Melody IMO

They never really made clear how much her music ability is able to heal people, since it wouldn't be that useful if the only thing it could do is calm them down, but her hearing ability alone is super powerful and basically turns her into some kind of radar that is able to track people within a pretty large radius and do other stuff like tell if they're lying as well.

edit: I've been rewatching the Chimera Ant arc from the anime (I think that I only ever read the manga I never actually watched it) and I forgot how well the King's relationship with Komugi is developed. The end of episode 108 (where he obviously comes to realize he cares for her in some capacity) is really moving. The idea of evil people finding love and becoming good isn't exactly novel, but it is executed extremely well and convincingly here.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 10, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

It's ok, because along the journey he realized he was too.

Leorio is the only good person in the entire manga.

The nicest dude in the entire manga enjoys swearing like a goddamn sailor, boozing, womanizing and jacking-off in public.

And he will go the distance and punch your lovely dad so said lovely dad knows what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QOS2cWTWw

:3:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You know as much as the hiatuses suck the chimera ant arc would probably not have been the masterpiece it was if it was being written week to week. If Togashi comes back he should switch to a monthly schedule.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The nicest dude in the entire manga enjoys swearing like a goddamn sailor, boozing, womanizing and jacking-off in public.

And he will go the distance and punch your lovely dad so said lovely dad knows what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QOS2cWTWw

:3:

This was the last episode i watched because 1. I had marathoned through most of the series at that point and was losing interest and 2. I knew it wasnt going to get better than that

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I just came here to say I've reread the whole manga and leorio owns. He would've been the best chairman the hunter's association ever had.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is HxH one of the few shounen that does NOT have any romance? I guess you can say Gon x Palm but otherwise it's pretty much let's go and travel around the world theme.

Let's ignore the Chimeras and that one guy in Yorknew arc.

Reminds me I'd like to read a series where romance is not a big factor with a female main character too.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hisoka x Gon

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alder posted:

Is HxH one of the few shounen that does NOT have any romance? I guess you can say Gon x Palm but otherwise it's pretty much let's go and travel around the world theme.

Reminds me I'd like to read a series where romance is not a big factor with a female main character too.

One Piece?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alder posted:

Woof, that's a pretty tough request. As television and movies have proven, if you put a male and female of roughly the same age together for about ten minutes they'll end up making out with each other.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

e X posted:

One Piece?

Yeah, there's no actual romance involving main characters in One Piece. Hancock's feelings toward Luffy are completely unrequited, and Sanji flirting with every reasonably attractive woman he meets is treated as a joke. Sai and Baby 5 fall in love in the Dressrosa arc, but they're minor characters.

Edit: Unless "with a female main character" means that the main character is female, which is rare in shonen to begin with. The only shounen that comes to mind is Soul Eater, which has plenty of shippy stuff, although I don't think Maka ever actually has an unambiguous romantic relationship.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 11, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Unless "with a female main character" means that the main character is female, which is rare in shonen to begin with. The only shounen that comes to mind is Soul Eater, which has plenty of shippy stuff, although I don't think Maka ever actually has an unambiguous romantic relationship.

I should finish reading SE but it gets really draggy at the end in both the manga and anime.

Yeah pretty much it's uncommon so I'll keep hoping HxH will continue soon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

I should finish reading SE but it gets really draggy at the end in both the manga and anime.

Yeah pretty much it's uncommon so I'll keep hoping HxH will continue soon.

The Soul Eater manga after the end of the Book of Eibon/Noah arc felt like the author was kind of phoning it in, and it led up to a weird non-ending.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm going to watch the 1999 HxH & OVAs and read the manga :anttony:

Hopefully that'll keep me entertained for a bit. Also curious to see the differences b/t this and the reboot.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It should. A lot of people here said they would be fine with Togashi just writing scripts for anime, but honestly, while I like the anime as a companion piece to the original, I think the manga is a lot better.

The color and music in the anime massively changes the tone of scenes and not always for the better. It's kind of hard to put in words, but the feel of the manga and the anime are very different. It might not even be any specific changes, but more the strength and weaknesses of the media themselves. Togashi works with a lot unusual panel layouts and a lot of white space and that creates a very alienating feeling, like being of being lost, due to the lack of backgrounds. That gives the entire story a very mysterious, almost sinister atmosphere that the anime just can't recreate.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manga is the superior medium, after all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

Manga is the superior medium, after all.

On the other hand, Hisoka's theme.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

e X posted:

It should. A lot of people here said they would be fine with Togashi just writing scripts for anime, but honestly, while I like the anime as a companion piece to the original, I think the manga is a lot better.

The color and music in the anime massively changes the tone of scenes and not always for the better. It's kind of hard to put in words, but the feel of the manga and the anime are very different. It might not even be any specific changes, but more the strength and weaknesses of the media themselves. Togashi works with a lot unusual panel layouts and a lot of white space and that creates a very alienating feeling, like being of being lost, due to the lack of backgrounds. That gives the entire story a very mysterious, almost sinister atmosphere that the anime just can't recreate.

I generally agree, but the 2011 anime (I haven't seen the other one) has some pretty good tracks. I like a couple of the "something really dramatic and/or sad is happening" themes.

My only issue with the way the music is used is that there are certain themes that seem to always be used in certain situations. Like, pretty much any time a Zoldyck is on the screen, they'll play what I'm assuming is the Zoldyck theme. Same goes for Phantom Troupe members. Neither of those themes are bad at all, but they don't always fit the scene and the anime seems to just religiously play them any time a relevant character is around.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Episode 131 of HxH is one of my favorite loving episodes of anything.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:tem: is watching hunter

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Senor Candle posted:

Episode 131 of HxH is one of my favorite loving episodes of anything.
Can't remember the exact episode number, but mine's the one where Gon and Killua find Pitou healing Komugi.

One of the most powerful moments in any shounen series, IMO.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maybe that will fill Togashi with determination.

I seriously doubt it though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
For whatever reason I have a real fondness for that moment Shoot starts using his hands as platforms and ties his collar over his eye, which the Narrator says "he had no clear reason to do so." Something about that part gets to me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the chapter without any dialogue and the chapter that's nothing but dialogue in the darkness.

Togashi is good.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh right, there was also Komugi x Meruem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

For whatever reason I have a real fondness for that moment Shoot starts using his hands as platforms and ties his collar over his eye, which the Narrator says "he had no clear reason to do so." Something about that part gets to me.

Yeah, that part was simultaneously hilarious and cool. He just thought it would look badass to cover his eye I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TriffTshngo posted:

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, that part was simultaneously hilarious and cool. He just thought it would look badass to cover his eye I guess.

It's also cool how that made him stronger.

It's one of those applications of nen that I really like, where you're subconscious actions power you up cause deep down, you believe that it will do so even if you don't know why.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's also cool how that made him stronger.

It's one of those applications of nen that I really like, where you're subconscious actions power you up cause deep down, you believe that it will do so even if you don't know why.

If you want things to go faster, you paint them red.

If you want yourself to go faster, you cover your eye.

Its all pretty simple.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlternateNu posted:

If you want things to go faster, you paint them red.

If you want yourself to go faster, you cover your eye.

Its all pretty simple.

I understand this reference.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Can't remember the exact episode number, but mine's the one where Gon and Killua find Pitou healing Komugi.

One of the most powerful moments in any shounen series, IMO.

I love that moment too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nen is placebo the super power.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe that will fill Togashi with determination.

I seriously doubt it though.

Nah, it'll fill him with detemmination.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genocyber posted:

Nah, it'll fill him with detemmination.

I hope it does. There are a only a few weeks left before this becomes the longest hiatus. So I hope we hear news that new chapters are coming.

(Also Temmie is cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope it does. There are a only a few weeks left before this becomes the longest hiatus. So I hope we hear news that new chapters are coming.

(Also Temmie is cool)

Congratulations on finally having a good avatar.