Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Zoran posted:

This is so ludicrous I almost want to see it happen.

It turns out that the scene of Luke fighting the remote was clever foreshadowing, and the Resistance will triumph when they close the blast doors and use intuition to deflect the beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Raxivace posted:

I think this comes up a lot with the PT- people criticizing the films for what they aren't trying to do instead of for what they are trying to do.

But a lot of theories about what Lucas was "trying to do" are just conjecture, aren't they? I might change my tune if someone dug up some quotes where he says "yeah, Anakin and Padme are supposed to sound really dorky" but until then, we can only rely on what the movies successfully conveyed to each of us.

I'm not trying to stifle discussion with a "nobody can know for sure" argument; I just think if people are gonna simply say "obviously he was trying to do this, therefore it's not a flaw" there's a burden of proof. Otherwise it's just a personal interpretation -- which is fine.

Also, I'm probably talking in circles at this point, but while I can admire what someone is "trying to do" on a certain level, how well they succeeded is ultimately all I care about while watching the movie. Or I guess you could say "Do or do not; there is no try."
(Obviously, Yoda was lying and Luke's training pushed him towards the Dark Side, since only a Sith deals in absolutes)

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

But a lot of theories about what Lucas was "trying to do" are just conjecture, aren't they? I might change my tune if someone dug up some quotes where he says "yeah, Anakin and Padme are supposed to sound really dorky" but until then, we can only rely on what the movies successfully conveyed to each of us.

I'm not trying to stifle discussion with a "nobody can know for sure" argument; I just think if people are gonna simply say "obviously he was trying to do this, therefore it's not a flaw" there's a burden of proof. Otherwise it's just a personal interpretation -- which is fine.

Also, I'm probably talking in circles at this point, but while I can admire what someone is "trying to do" on a certain level, how well they succeeded is ultimately all I care about while watching the movie. Or I guess you could say "Do or do not; there is no try."
(Obviously, Yoda was lying and Luke's training pushed him towards the Dark Side, since only a Sith deals in absolutes)

Someone else can dig up some of the more specific quotes from the cast and crew if they want, but if you look at the script for AotC, which can easily be found online, even in just the first scenes with Anakin on Coruscant it describes his interactions with Padme using words and phrases like "awkward", "shame", "embarrasses him", "trying to be smooth", and so on. So whether it worked for you or not, I absolutely think Anakin is supposed to be a socially awkward kid trying to express his feelings to someone he's had a crush on since he was nine, while being further inhibited in that endeavor by the fact that he's been raised by a bunch of monks who specifically try to control their feelings for the past ten years.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

greatn posted:

Well the resistance construct a giant lightsaber on their base to deflect the next Death Star weapon back at them?

This is gonna be the ending of the new Spaceballs, I can feel it. With alien Harry Carey on the call.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's not Battlestar Wars

hell I'd watch Battlestar Galactiwars

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Cool video pointing out a lot of the mirroring going on between TFA and the three OT films (it's got a fair amount of pirated footage from TFA so we'll see how long it lasts on YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHlqFNnhIE

Seeing it all together like this, my conclusion is that some of it's pretty nice, and some of it's massive overkill. Mainly all the stuff having to do with Starkiller Base strikes me as overkill. And I actually like Starkiller Base as a concept--I just don't think they did it nearly enough justice. Death Stars are supposed to be big deals. They represent the metaphysical concept of death. So it's kind of weird how flippantly this one is treated. Obviously, Anakin did already conquer death in the last movie, but isn't TFA's whole thesis basically that we're back to square one, now? All the resolutions have been undone and all the old conflicts have been reset. There is no balance anymore. Death is a big scary deal again. But Starkiller Base is basically treated like a hammy joke, even though it just destroyed an entire star system and decimated the Republic which the heroes spent the last three movies struggling and suffering to rebuild.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The problem with writing intentionally awkward dialogue is that when you're already an awkward person and you write, direct, and edit all of the dialogue scenes awkwardly, and then base half the movie around it is that it comes off as awkward and not fun to watch. Lucas really hosed up on making those scenes entertaining instead of excruciating.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

Your assertion is that the only truly ethical choice is to remain dedicated to a path of action, regardless of whether it benefits the actor or not? That the promise of reward automatically invalidates any ethical stand that actor might have had? Luke actively calls out to his father for help at the end of Return of the Jedi. If he wasn't hoping his father would save him, that Luke's faith in his father would be rewarded, then what was the point of that?

The difference is between Luke's ethical act - throwing down the sword, abandoning his father and sister to the dark side - and what he is saying under coercion. When Luke is crying out under the torture, of course he would say almost anything. It's a similar sort of ethical regression: Luke 'talks big', but then goes crying to daddy. But we should avoid the temptation of cynicism here. What's important is not what Luke is saying to escape the torture, but the original choice - the choice to die for what he believes in.

Another way of putting it: Luke is doing everything because he believes that "there is still good in [Vader]". that's another line to be read carefully.

"The logic is here the same as that of Anne Frank who, in her diaries, expresses belief in the ultimate goodness of man in spite of the horrors accomplished by men against Jews in World War II: what renders such an assertion of belief sublime, is the very gap between it and the overwhelming factual evidence against it, i.e. the active will to disavow the actual state of things."
-Zizek

So, for what Luke is saying to be sublime, Anakin must be well and truly dead. If Luke used his psychic powers to determine that Anakin is actually just hiding somewhere, then it's just a factual statement, and you've eliminated authentic belief from the universe.

Lucas made a point of this in the prequel films; these are Padme's last words before she kills herself through sheer force of will:

Padme: Obiwan, there's good in him... I know, I know there is ...

People of course got confused because 'a mother should want to take care of her children. Protecting your family is the highest good, right?' But Padme rejects those terms entirely and dies 'for no reason', except to raise a final middle finger to the Force. Both Padme and Luke are saying "gently caress this universe".

Anakin did a similar thing, but what's uncanny with him is that something remained after his death. That's the origin of Darth Vader, the ethical subject.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Just for the record, even if bad, Darth Vader in suit running around doing things in the PT would've made them a lot more enjoyable.

http://azdailysun.com/george-and-darth-star-wars-mastermind-lucas-sets-stage-for/article_105570da-0fb1-5e6b-882b-7062a9f104a7.html

quote:

Two decades ago, George Lucas pulled off the mask to reveal the face of one of cinema's greatest bad guys. Now, he's about to slip the mask back on.

Lucas offered a preview Thursday of his final "Star Wars" chapter, which spells out the last dark steps the once goodhearted young Anakin Skywalker takes to become the villain Darth Vader.

"It's not like the old 'Star Wars,"' Lucas told theater owners at the ShoWest convention. "This one's a little bit more emotional. We like to describe it as 'Titanic' in space. It's a tearjerker."

Opening May 19, "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" brings full circle the mammoth sci-fi saga Lucas began in 1977 with the original "Star Wars," which shattered box-office records and remains one of the top-grossing movies ever.

Reaction was mixed on "Episode I — The Phantom Menace" and "Episode II — Attack of the Clones," many fans grousing that the first one was too much a kiddie flick and the second one too sappy a love story. Calling the latest movie a Faustian tragedy, Lucas said he is unconcerned about whether "Revenge of the Sith" draws more barbs from "Star Wars" fans.

"I feel that I've made the movie the best I can and it turned out the way I wanted it to be, so I'm happy," Lucas, 60, told The Associated Press in an interview. "I never try to anticipate what the world's going to think or even worry about whether they're going to like it or not. That's not my job, to make people like my movies. They either like them or they don't. That's completely out of my hands."

The intensity of the action and themes in "Revenge of the Sith" probably will earn it a PG-13 rating, Lucas said. The first five "Star Wars" movies all were rated PG.

Lucas' entry at ShoWest was preceded by a parade of 21 "Star Wars" stormtroopers in white armor, followed by an actor dressed as Darth Vader.

Along with the trailer, Lucas showed the opening minutes of "Revenge of the Sith," featuring the familiar "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…" catch phrase followed by the franchise's rousing introductory music.

The film immediately launches into a space battle elaborate even by "Star Wars" standards as Anakin (Hayden Christensen) and his Jedi knight master, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), lead a mission to rescue the kidnapped Palpatine, chancellor of the Republic.

The trailer sets up the rest of the scenario, with the suspicious Jedi council assigning Anakin to spy on Palpatine after his rescue, while the chancellor — the future evil Emperor of the original trilogy — plots to seduce the young knight to the dark side of the Force.

"It's very dangerous putting them together," warns Jedi master Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson). "I don't think the boy can handle it."

Everyone who has seen the original "Star Wars" knows Mace is right. That film opens in a dark, oppressive age a couple of decades after the action of "Revenge of the Sith," when Vader and the Emperor have conquered the cosmos, stamped out democratic rule and are hunting down the vestiges of a freedom-fighting rebellion.

"Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" recount the rise of Anakin's farmboy son, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), who teams with his newfound sister Leia (Carrie Fisher) and brash smuggler Han Solo (Harrison Ford) to take down the Empire and ultimately redeem Vader, bringing him back to the side of the good guys.

Amid the climax of 1983's "Return of the Jedi," Luke takes off Vader's black mask so father and son can see each other face to face in the elder Skywalker's dying moments.

Luke and Leia's characters will appear as infants in "Revenge of the Sith."

The trailer screened Thursday showed what fans have been waiting for since Lucas began the story of Anakin's journey from good toward evil in "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones." Namely, Anakin in the guise of Vader: Black cloak, mask and helmet, an outfit rigged with life-support devices for Skywalker, whose battle wounds have left him part flesh, part machine.

Lucas knows many fans wanted the prequel trilogy to introduce Vader early on rather than trace Anakin's downfall from nice little boy to bratty teen to dark knight of the galaxy. "Revenge of the Sith" presents Anakin in Vader's black get-up only at the very end of the movie, Lucas said.

"Obviously, fans would love to see a movie about Darth Vader running around killing people," said Lucas, who also was on hand to receive a "galactic-achievement award" from ShoWest organizers. "I'm not telling that story, and I'm not interested in that. That's not what the movie is.

"This first trilogy is really about the father, the struggles of a father, or a man, basically, to find himself, and at the same time fall into a trap of wanting certain powers, making a pact with the devil and basically spending the rest of his life regretting it."

Translation: George knew what the fans wanted, and said "nah".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Padme has already been portrayed as very, very cool-headed, even cold-blooded by that point. She says that she is not afraid to die before she enters the execution arena in Attack of the Clones, and everything that she does from that point onward backs that up. She, rather than the leapy Jedi, gets on top of her column and fights off the nexu. The comparison of Padme firing her blaster with Rey doing the same is pointless -- they're different characters -- and Padme checks off droids like it's her job. She is much more like Leia in that regard than Rey is.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Man I thought the buildup to Vader in Episode 3 was great. Like we all knew how it was gonna end up, but seeing Anakin get sliced up and burned really showed the extent of his injuries. And then the scene where the put him in the suit and you only really get to see him at the end, so good. They really set the stage for Episode 4, and the movies really felt like that was the natural ending.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Disney could totally (and probably will totally) make that movie if they want now. I'm sure there's plenty of remaining Jedi to hunt down before episode IV, like hell, his own Padawan.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mr Super Mecha Godzilla sir, can I request an effort post about TFA and jackets?

Jackets come up all the time, there's a planet literally called jacket, and I don't have the special brainpart to understand it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Disney could totally (and probably will totally) make that movie if they want now. I'm sure there's plenty of remaining Jedi to hunt down before episode IV, like hell, his own Padawan.

No question. There's a 20 year period there that Disney will surely not allow to go to waste. A "young" Vader series would be a really good place to bring Ashoka into the mix too.

Edit: Wow, I totally didn't even read to the end or your post and see that you also referenced Ashoka.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mr Super Mecha Godzilla sir, can I request an effort post about TFA and jackets?

Jackets come up all the time, there's a planet literally called jacket, and I don't have the special brainpart to understand it.

A lot of people jacket to slave Leia.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

greatn posted:

Someone please get James Earl Jones in a recording studio to just record him pronouncing every word in the dictionary 8 different ways.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

Cool video pointing out a lot of the mirroring going on between TFA and the three OT films (it's got a fair amount of pirated footage from TFA so we'll see how long it lasts on YouTube):

Seeing it all together like this, my conclusion is that some of it's pretty nice, and some of it's massive overkill. Mainly all the stuff having to do with Starkiller Base strikes me as overkill. And I actually like Starkiller Base as a concept--I just don't think they did it nearly enough justice. Death Stars are supposed to be big deals. They represent the metaphysical concept of death. So it's kind of weird how flippantly this one is treated. Obviously, Anakin did already conquer death in the last movie, but isn't TFA's whole thesis basically that we're back to square one, now? All the resolutions have been undone and all the old conflicts have been reset. There is no balance anymore. Death is a big scary deal again. But Starkiller Base is basically treated like a hammy joke, even though it just destroyed an entire star system and decimated the Republic which the heroes spent the last three movies struggling and suffering to rebuild.

Skipping around through this, I don't think most of these shot comparisons work out, because they're mostly just copying the concepts and story beats rather than the shots themselves.
However I do feel bad for anyone who watches new movies with these pirate rips jesus christ

Message projection (hologram?) technology improved a lot in 30 years but nothing else apparently.

Starkiller Base is just...the worst.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red posted:

Just for the record, even if bad, Darth Vader in suit running around doing things in the PT would've made them a lot more enjoyable.

http://azdailysun.com/george-and-darth-star-wars-mastermind-lucas-sets-stage-for/article_105570da-0fb1-5e6b-882b-7062a9f104a7.html

Translation: George knew what the fans wanted, and said "nah".

Darth Vader still kills lots of people, it's just the vast majority of them were children younglings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Someone please get James Earl Jones in a recording studio to just record him pronouncing every word in the dictionary 8 different ways.

I'm sure there are plenty of adequate impersonators out there that could pull it off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of adequate impersonators out there that could pull it off.

What the hell is this blasphemous post

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone that's done it for video games/parodies/etc. is a really pale comparison. The guy who did the Chad Vader stuff way back when is held up as the gold standard, but he sounds way, way off to me. Like, far more off than JEJ did in his first Rebels appearance.

e: pretty good comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mv7hmnWkmo

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 11, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP7F6vS89YY

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's okay, if anything happens to JEJ they can just grab Morgan Freeman

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Everyone that's done it for video games/parodies/etc. is a really pale comparison. The guy who did the Chad Vader stuff way back when is held up as the gold standard, but he sounds way, way off to me. Like, far more off than JEJ did in his first Rebels appearance.

e: pretty good comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mv7hmnWkmo

Of those, the Galactic Battlegrounds guy sounded the best I think

As silly as this might sound, I think the biggest difference between them all is the vocalizer effect--surely Disney could have some ridiculous sound nerds mimic that effect more perfectly if they were going to do a movie about the Jedi Purge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffles Inc. posted:

Of those, the Galactic Battlegrounds guy sounded the best I think

As silly as this might sound, I think the biggest difference between them all is the vocalizer effect--surely Disney could have some ridiculous sound nerds mimic that effect more perfectly if they were going to do a movie about the Jedi Purge

What's Michael Winslow up to these days?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SciFiDownBeat posted:

"You either get' busy livin', or get busy maintainin' consciousness in the Force"

edit: I'm torn between whether I want Leia to bust out a surprise lightsaber or not

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the biggest difference is the wide vocal range that JEJ uses in the performance. Everyone else seems so monotone compared to the wildly dynamic portrayal of Jones. Though yeah, the Galactic Battlegrounds dude is definitely the best impression on display there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I think I'd accept a 'Special Edition' of the OT if the only change to the theatrical version was adding a voiceover narration/internal dialogue of Vader using Morgan Freeman.

"And that's when I knew: I'd rather die for my own flesh and blood son I never knew, instead of some wrinkly old electric politician in a blanket."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can I just say I'm delighted that Dave Franco is apparently on the short list for young Solo?

Also, Solo apparently has a Rogue One cameo? How on Earth does that work, unless the theft of the plans is over a decade before ANH? I am not a fan of this idea.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Can I just say I'm delighted that Dave Franco is apparently on the short list for young Solo?

Also, Solo apparently has a Rogue One cameo? How on Earth does that work, unless the theft of the plans is over a decade before ANH? I am not a fan of this idea.

A mo-cap CGI Han Solo is definitely a better idea. Star Wars fans are known for their keen appreciation of, and enthusiasm for, CGI.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ahmed Best as young Han Solo. It would piss off so many different groups of people.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Clint Howard as Han's dad.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm looking forward to more of these videos coming out, because you can already see how Abrams includes a lot of for-the-sake-of-it camera movement.

It's especially prominent in the 'control room' planning scenes. The camera keeps panning around restlessly, instead of letting the hologram effect do the moving.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hulk Krogan posted:

Ahmed Best as young Han Solo. It would piss off so many different groups of people.

I'm not going to see Episode 8 unless Hayden Christensen or Ahmed Best are revealed to be Snoke.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Red posted:

"And that's when I knew: I'd rather die for my own flesh and blood son I never knew, instead of some wrinkly old electric politician in a blanket."

"Next to the power of the Force, the Death Star is just a bullshit weapon. So go ahead and blow up your planets, sonny, because to tell you the truth, I don't give a poo poo."

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That old pirate that's Jack Sparrow's dad in the third POTC should also be Han Solo's dad.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

That old pirate that's Jack Sparrow's dad in the third POTC should also be Han Solo's dad.

Keith Richards?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Harrison Ford with an eyepatch should play Han Solo's dad.

Or Sean Connery. Who I just had to look up whether or not he was dead.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Heck, let's just have Snoke actually be the embodiment of the spirit of rock & roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Keith Richards?

hell yeah

• Locked thread