Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People using facebook or forums as a personal Google service. Hamster care is my weird nerdy thing I care too much about and fb groups and forums are just a constant string of "what cages are good" "what food is good" "my hamster is bleeding from every orifice and I can't/won't take it to the vet, do u think it will be ok" like a constant flood of 101 questions when there are stickied threads and posts RIGHT THERE YOU IMBECILE and then they ignore you completely anyway and stick the ham in a plastic shoebox and feed it bread

I don't mind if it's a literal child but adults should do their own loving googling :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

teenytinymouse posted:

"my hamster is bleeding from every orifice and I can't/won't take it to the vet, do u think it will be ok"

Tangentially related, but this is a huge one for me anywhere online. Yahoo! Answers is home to truckloads of posts like this and they drive me up a wall.

"HELP Yesterday I start bleeding from anus it wont stop what do i do"

"I drop my dog and now it wont stop whineing and its limping help"

"My gf and i had sex and the condom broke do u think shes pregant"

I get it--you're embarrassed about your bleeding butt, or afraid you'll get in trouble if someone knows you accidentally hurt your dog, or don't want your parents to know you've been fuckin', but holy moley you idiots the Internet can't help with problems like these. I get even more lit up when myriad responses come in to the tune of "dude go to a doctor" and the poster (who, mind you, is currently bleeding profusely out of his rear end) goes with the one response that says "eh don't worry about it you're fine." For those idiots, it's less "hey, answer my question please" and more "give me a list of answers and I will pick the one that I want to hear."

Kills me.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
"How is babby formed?"

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

People stopping dead in tight spaces or entranceways. What really gets annoying is when people stop for no reason. I've had 2 separate instances of groups of people stopping to form a queue in front of an empty escalator.

Peoples conduct at bus stops tends to be especially idiotic. I've seen people stood outside in heavy rain even though half of the shelter is empty because those inside are bunched up in the back and won't move forward. The person outside might have been too shy to ask or something but they shouldn't have to. Also, no one signals a bus to stop anymore. I once watched a bunch of old people throw their hands up in the air as a bus went right past them. Well, maybe if you weren't stood 10ft back from the edge of the pavement and reacted in any way to the bus you watched come around the corner. What, are the elderly too cool to stick their arms out?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Overly loud drink noises from commercials and poo poo.

PSSSHHHT

GLUG GLUG ice cracking GLUG GLUG

GULP...... GULP.... GULP...

"Ahhhhhhh"

Nails on a drat chalkboard.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Radio ads that put like a billion sound effects in. Especially if they pause talking to let the sound effects play. Also, ads that start off with [company] presents "the sound of us huffing our own farts in order to sell you poo poo". Wendy's and Geico are the ones that I've noticed doing this, and its made me consciously avoid going into a Wendy's I would have otherwise gone to.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Children playing on the exercise stuff at the park. There is a huge playground with really wonderful swings, slides and lots of other things go stay over there. Why the gently caress do you want to swing around on the dip bars? Or stand on the leg lift pedestals and stare at me? The adult poo poo is boring go away.

I've had kids run over to me while doing pull-ups, wait impatiently, get underfoot as I'm dismounting, then bowl me out of the way so they can just swing around on it, then get bored and then look at me like I'm a weirdo for "playing" on it.

Oh well, can't beat that it's free and I get fresh air.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Price matchers at the supermarket. I could understand if it was one or two things they were price matching, I'm cool with that, but I'm talking about the people who have a Tolstoy-esque 3 inch heavy binder of ads from others stores, and a handwritten list of more store prices. "Let's hold up the line of people before me because I want to save three cents on a gallon of milk and two cents on a head of lettuce and one cent on a dozen eggs and four cents on this and two cents on this and...." gently caress these people.

I just want to pay and get out :shepspends:

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
People who want rain checks, especially on bullshit tiny items that they probably only want one of anyway. I know you want a good deal... but so does everyone else, so you should've come in before it was all loving gone. Don't hold up the line harassing the poor cashier so you can maybe save a couple bucks.

Also people who think the cashier has the power to do ANYTHING from their little register, including discounting items, returns/exchanges, looking up items "in the system", placing orders, ringing up random items throughout the store because the customer forgot to grab them, finding their lost keys, etc. Bonus points if they refuse to move (or go to the wide open customer service desk, where they CAN do these things) until they're satisfied. I have seen a woman in the express lane at lunch time literally say "no, I will not move until you figure this out." even though her problem required a manager and about fifteen minutes of calling around the store.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

You Are A Elf posted:

Price matchers at the supermarket. I could understand if it was one or two things they were price matching, I'm cool with that, but I'm talking about the people who have a Tolstoy-esque 3 inch heavy binder of ads from others stores, and a handwritten list of more store prices. "Let's hold up the line of people before me because I want to save three cents on a gallon of milk and two cents on a head of lettuce and one cent on a dozen eggs and four cents on this and two cents on this and...." gently caress these people.

My parents don't go this far but they do have an annoying habit of asking me how much I paid for things when they come over. "How much did you pay for that cat food at Petco?", "How much did that salad dressing cost?". I'm like "I don't know I just buy it." Same with flying they know we have permanent diamond status with Delta but they still spend hours looking at flight instead of just letting me book their drat tickets.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

You Are A Elf posted:

I got stuck behind someone arguing over 38 cents once in the express lane for at least 10 minutes, and there were people behind me so I couldn't leave and go to a different register. I only needed 2 things. It was torture.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I got stuck behind someone arguing over 38 cents once in the express lane for at least 10 minutes, and there were people behind me so I couldn't leave and go to a different register. I only needed 2 things. It was torture.

And then the next register over opens up and says, "I can help the next person in line" (that's you), and the person behind you or some schmuck that's just walked into your line moves over there first :argh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

You Are A Elf posted:

And then the next register over opens up and says, "I can help the next person in line" (that's you), and the person behind you or some schmuck that's just walked into your line moves over there first :argh:

Oooohhhh that's a good one :argh:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

You Are A Elf posted:

The only time I can forgive that is if I've already put my stuff on the conveyer.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
You get the opposite as well.
"Next person in line"
*crickets*
"Next person in line"
*crickets*

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Oh man, retail peeves!

"Sorry, sir, I can only give $20 in cash back."

"BUT LAST WEEK I WAS IN HERE AND I GOT A HUNDRED BACK!"

No. No, you did not, you lying piece of poo poo.

See also: "I'm taking my business elsewhere!"

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

It's really frustrating as a cashier when you're getting ready to open a register and people run up going "ARE YOU OPENING??" but it's really satisfying to tell them "yes but I need to take the people who have been waiting." It always amazes me how these assholes think their time is so much more important than everyone else's. I also love when people say, "I'm in a hurry! I need to pick up my kids/I have an appointment/I'm bleeding internally" like they didn't just spend an hour casually strolling through the store.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh man, retail peeves!

"Sorry, sir, I can only give $20 in cash back."

"BUT LAST WEEK I WAS IN HERE AND I GOT A HUNDRED BACK!"

No. No, you did not, you lying piece of poo poo.

See also: "I'm taking my business elsewhere!"

Happens in the service industry, too. From my food-serving days at a hospital:

"Ok for lunch, I'll have a hamburger and a hot dog and a slice of pizza."

"Sorry, but you can only have one entrée at a time, but if you're hungry later you can... "

"Bullshit, I did that yesterday and I got all three!"

"Sir, I was your server yesterday. You had a burger." (unspoken: bullshit, you fucker, we couldn't fit that much food on a single tray if we wanted to)

"Well maybe it was the other day!"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:words: But: as a former grocery store cashier, I can tell you my least favourite types of customers/customer actions were:

1) A very specific genre of surly twenty-something men who jam their hands in their pockets and refuse to answer questions like, "Do you have an Airmiles card?" while you ring up their pudding cups and Captain Crunch.

2) "If it doesn't scan, it's free, HURR HURR HURR"

3) Extremely old people who've decided to age with as little grace as possible and spend their final months/weeks either passionately bargaining over the price of canned tuna* or forcing you to put a single mango into four bags.

4) People who go into express lanes with enormous amounts of product on purpose and then get mad at other customers who challenge them. Granted, people do this by accident all the time, but a really large amount of people are doing this because they are colossal assholes.

5) Men who hit on female cashiers. We can't go anywhere, or get away from you, so it's super hosed up. If you do this, don't do it anymore.

*: Before you mention it, in my experience, a lot of people who do this are not poor, they're just running out of hobbies. After a while, we are able to parse out the difference.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

cash crab posted:

1) A very specific genre of surly twenty-something men who jam their hands in their pockets and refuse to answer questions like, "Do you have an Airmiles card?" while you ring up their pudding cups and Captain Crunch.

For me, it always seems to be older middle-aged men who do this. Like, just refuse to acknowledge that I'm even speaking, even though I just want to loving know if they need a bag. I can't stand it. I don't need everyone to be chatty and perfectly polite, but how loving terrible do you have to be to not even acknowledge the existence of a person WHO IS THERE TO HELP YOU, long enough for a little eye contact and "yes/no" answers?

cash crab posted:

5) Men who hit on female cashiers. We can't go anywhere, or get away from you, so it's super hosed up. If you do this, don't do it anymore.

One of my least favorite types of people are the old dudes who seem to think that, by virtue of them being old white men, everything they do is automatically charming, cute and funny. These are the guys who corner unsuspecting young lady cashiers and throw out all the worst cheesy jokes (Must be free! I printed that $20 this morning, gotta make sure the ink's dry! Etc.), peppered with mildly inappropriate comments and terrible winks, and god help you if you don't smile/laugh at every single one. There's one guy who keeps coming up to the register with a little sack of cookies, saying "think fast!" and throwing them in the general direction of the cashier. Why would anyone EVER think that was okay? These are also the same types of guys who request help out to their car only if a young woman is doing it, then try to "jokingly" hit on her/ask her out once they're alone in the parking lot. Like that's not creepy as gently caress.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

cash crab posted:

:words: But: as a former grocery store cashier, I can tell you my least favourite types of customers/customer actions were:

2) "If it doesn't scan, it's free, HURR HURR HURR"

3) Extremely old people who've decided to age with as little grace as possible and spend their final months/weeks either passionately bargaining over the price of canned tuna* or forcing you to put a single mango into four bags.

4) People who go into express lanes with enormous amounts of product on purpose and then get mad at other customers who challenge them. Granted, people do this by accident all the time, but a really large amount of people are doing this because they are colossal assholes.

*: Before you mention it, in my experience, a lot of people who do this are not poor, they're just running out of hobbies. After a while, we are able to parse out the difference.

As a fellow cashier, I want to believe the single mango in four bags is an exaggeration but I know it's not. Also, I think I figured out why that "It must be free!" line really irks me. It's just wishful thinking masked as some joke we've heard fifty million times.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

But what if the only place with cute/interesting people is at the market?

I hate this small town.

pet peeve: small towns Unnecessary mirrors. I hate mirrors, the less the better. You don't need to plaster the walls with them, Mr. Hotel Owner.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You Are A Elf posted:

Mulva posted:

My parents don't go this far but they do have an annoying habit of asking me how much I paid for things when they come over. "How much did you pay for that cat food at Petco?", "How much did that salad dressing cost?". I'm like "I don't know I just buy it." Same with flying they know we have permanent diamond status with Delta but they still spend hours looking at flight instead of just letting me book their drat tickets.

If someone asked me 30 seconds after I left the store "how much did you just pay for your groceries?" I couldn't answer unless it was a really specific purchase. Middle class people who obsess about prices down to the last cent are the worst.

Pet peeve: People who are mad when things work like they're intended to. Yes, please show the middle finger to the train that leaves on time. I'm sorry that they didn't realize you are a special snowflake who the world needs to wait hand and foot around even if it means being late or doing something wrong. How the gently caress can someone be that entitled?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

But what if the only place with cute/interesting people is at the market?

I hate this small town.

pet peeve: small towns Unnecessary mirrors. I hate mirrors, the less the better. You don't need to plaster the walls with them, Mr. Hotel Owner.

Small towns are actually my pet peeve. Something about them just sucks the life out of me, even if I grew up in one. Maybe because I grew up in one. Counts as pet peeve because nothing horrible actually needs to happen, just being in them blows and makes me depressed.

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Jan 15, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm part of a union, and holy crap, the union is the worst thing ever. People argue, "well, it's protecting your job." True, but it's also protecting the jobs of many of my co-workers who should have been fired a long time ago.

There are people who come in and spend the first hour of their day just talking to their friends, and the moment a supervisor tells them that they need to get to work, it's off to the union to complain that the supervisor is yelling at them, bullying them, treating them unfairly!

Don't feel like doing a certain task today that you did yesterday? Run to the union!

The people at my job are so lazy, and they use the union as a crutch to continue being lazy.

It's gotten to the point where the supervisors are neutered, so no work gets done. And then the people start complaining when the work gets transferred to other facilities who are actually working, and wonder why the threat of layoffs are looming.

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jan 16, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

double post! Whoops!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SciFiDownBeat posted:

There's nothing like hotel mirrors that show your junk while you're peeing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They put them there to make you feel good about yourself. Your junk looks bigger when you look at it in a mirror compared to looking straight down at it. When you're pissing and that mirror is showing your junk you'll be all like WOAH MY JUNK Is HUGE.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

When I first moved to Toronto with my ex, we booked a hostel room on George Street next to Filmore's (which is a strip club) and we were very surprised to find out that our room was about 75% mirrors. I was not happy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The worst I've seen in a sloped mirror easily seen from bed, so if you woke up facing the wrong way you'd be disoriented as hell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nettles Coterie posted:

For me, it always seems to be older middle-aged men who do this. Like, just refuse to acknowledge that I'm even speaking, even though I just want to loving know if they need a bag. I can't stand it. I don't need everyone to be chatty and perfectly polite, but how loving terrible do you have to be to not even acknowledge the existence of a person WHO IS THERE TO HELP YOU, long enough for a little eye contact and "yes/no" answers?

Related to this, I would hate it when people would come into my line gabbing on their cell phone. And continue to gab into their phone without so much as making eye contact with me.

If you want to buy your poo poo without even saying "Hello" to another human being, the self-checkout is right over there! I just think it's incredibly rude to talk on your phone when you're checking out, without even so much as telling the person on the other end "Can you hold on a second? I'm checking out," or better yet, hanging up the phone and calling the person back when you're done. Am I wrong in thinking it's rude as hell?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I was in a hotel one time that had a two way mirror as one of the shower walls that faced into the room so you could see into the bathroom from the bed. It was creepy as hell.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Seriously cashiers are you dying to make a human connection with some random dingus, just scan the poo poo. Grocery shopping sucks rear end, if people want to talk on the phone, listen to headphones or stare off into space while enduring it I don't think that's a crime against the person paid to ring poo poo up. My pet peeve is retail employees bemoaning being ignored by anonymous schlubs.

EDIT: also cashiers that make little comments about all your stuff yes let's have a deathsome conversation about these avocados, total stranger.

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Jan 18, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Sainsbury's in dronfield has a mirror that is placed in direct view of the urinals, facing the door. Anyone who enters gets a eyeful of the penis of the person nearest to it unless that person is trying really hard to hide it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

BioEnchanted posted:

The Sainsbury's in dronfield has a mirror that is placed in direct view of the urinals, facing the door. Anyone who enters gets a eyeful of the penis of the person nearest to it unless that person is trying really hard to hide it.

Is this what they air on that mysterious "sainsburys TV" channel that's appeared on Virgin media?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Seriously cashiers are you dying to make a human connection with some random dingus, just scan the poo poo. Grocery shopping sucks rear end, if people want to talk on the phone, listen to headphones or stare off into space while enduring it I don't think that's a crime against the person paid to ring poo poo up. My pet peeve is retail employees bemoaning being ignored by anonymous schlubs.

-Signed, a guy who's never worked in retail

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

J Miracle posted:

EDIT: also cashiers that make little comments about all your stuff yes let's have a deathsome conversation about these avocados, total stranger.

Nobody said crime, it's rude as gently caress and there is literally no arguing that it isn't rude to completely ignore the person who is being paid to literally serve you. Please go ask your parents why they never taught you any loving manners.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I worked tons of retail jobs, I cannot imagine caring if I had pointless chit chat with someone while they bought smokes and road beers or if they talked on the phone while buying their rolling papers and mini thins.

Further if it's important to you that you are "literally paid to serve" someone then why not serve them the way they want instead of needing them to provide you with X amount of words to placate you? Are you that hidebound and set in your ways?

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jan 18, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

You're moving the goalposts a whole lot there buddy, nobody cares if you don't want to ask the cashier how their day is going or boy howdy how's about that weather. Don't ignore cashiers completely, don't talk on your phone when in order to do their jobs they might need to speak to you to ask if you need a bag, have a loyalty card, want any cash back, whatever. Or do, but you're being so rude that other people behind you in line probably look at you and think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

teenytinymouse posted:

You're moving the goalposts a whole lot there buddy, nobody cares if you don't want to ask the cashier how their day is going or boy howdy how's about that weather. Don't ignore cashiers completely, don't talk on your phone when in order to do their jobs they might need to speak to you to ask if you need a bag, have a loyalty card, want any cash back, whatever. Or do, but you're being so rude that other people behind you in line probably look at you and think you're an rear end in a top hat.

This is exactly how I feel, when someone is serving you it's a two way street and you need to as engaged with them as they are with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've never seen someone completely ignore a cashier when asked a direct question. I can talk on the phone and pause to answer your questions, or continue talking and just shake my head or whatever. People can do more than one thing at a time.

The only example that I'd consider explicitly rude is keeping your headphones in with the volume to the point that you can't hear any questions being asked, but I don't think that is a very common issue unless you cater mostly to teenagers/college kids.