Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All you guys complaining about Vancouver should give Toronto a spin sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah but Toronto is expected, it's miserable everyone knows it's miserable and hates it. Nothing is good, everything is terrible.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, we have higher expectations for Vancouver, no one thinks Toronto is anything but a pile of poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Toronto is OK.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Toronto is awful, it's just that everywhere else in Canada is worse, and jealous about it to boot.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Toronto is fine if you live on a relatively good transit line and don't have to deal with rush hour. Otherwise, you spend so much time commuting that you only see the inside of your tiny expensive place.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kafka Esq. posted:

Toronto is fine if you live on a relatively good transit line and don't have to deal with rush hour. Otherwise, you spend so much time commuting that you only see the inside of your tiny expensive place.

I worked at Spadina and Adelaide and lived at Queen and Church and my commute was like 20-25 minutes in the winter. I commute from a whole other city to downtown Vancouver now and my commute is 15 minutes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Toronto is a wonderful city full of events you don't ever go to because getting there is a nightmare and the crowds once inside are just as bad.

Also LOL at how wonderful it was living on the subway. I was waiting 3 or 4 trains on the University line for one that had space for passengers and my day ended at 530 not 430 like most people.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Toronto is fine if you live on a relatively good transit line and don't have to deal with rush hour.

Yes, Toronto is fine if you live in Toronto, if you live in one of the former suburbs that amalgated in, it's poo poo. And it will continue to be poo poo for as long as you and your neighbors keep electing ridiculous fuckwits to represent you on council.

the talent deficit posted:

I worked at Spadina and Adelaide and lived at Queen and Church and my commute was like 20-25 minutes in the winter. I commute from a whole other city to downtown Vancouver now and my commute is 15 minutes.

Well you could walk that distance in less time, but yeah, that's what we get for having the (former) suburbs control our transit development. Anything that prioritizes transit is a "war on the car".

Also, that's a terrible comparison. You can get from Pickering or Oakville to downtown Toronto in 35 minutes. Turns out taking surface routes through the downtown core during rush hour will run across some congestion you won't hit on a regional commuter line.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 10, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I lived in Toronto for years and liked it but I always lived downtown close to transit lines.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

So that's why I think Toronto is OK.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The CBC wrote an article about bad the comments are with respect to any articles about Syrian refugees. lol!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-online-new-comments-ban-1.3391961

Comments from this article http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-police-chief-constable-speaks-on-hate-motivated-pepper-spray-incident-1.3397228:

The OPINIONS of CANADIANS aren't being RESPECTED

that's right you townie wheat king gently caress

all of them?????

is it?????

hmm yes good point

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-get-mittens-from-vancouver-boy-max-honey-1.3386023

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

why aren't we PAYING more ATTENTION to good old CANADIAN boys????

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/prince-george-latest-b-c-city-to-welcome-syrian-refugees-1.3395411

this guy with a che avatar needs an order of CANADA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-bc-profiles-1.3389025

make our DOLLAR go up ALREADY

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-woman-volunteering-in-greece-vows-to-advocate-for-refugees-1.3389385

NO COMMENT

so much loving comedy http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/topic/Tag/Refugees%20in%20B.C.

Holy poo poo I'm glad I have dual citizenship. You loving people are the worst garbage. gently caress canada

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

infernal machines posted:

Yes, Toronto is fine if you live in Toronto, if you live in one of the former suburbs that amalgated in, it's poo poo. And it will continue to be poo poo for as long as you and your neighbors keep electing ridiculous fuckwits to represent you on council.
pro tip: live in york region and spend four hours on transit + at least $14 round-trip per day wootah

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I just drive downtown. Leave my car in that the garage on Church and Front street where I pay a $6 flat rate and I enjoy everything Toronto has to offer.

I do confirm that major events and concerts are loving bitch. When I saw Above and Beyond last winter at the direct energy centre the coat check was a clusterfuck. I haven't had to ride the subway in a while but I remember being crammed into trains like a sardine back in 06. Now I imagine you have to wait for multiple trains to pass by before you find one with space in it.

Still the really nice thing about Toronto for me is just having a good time with my friends on King West and then just walking to his condo on Ft York Blvd and having a nice little after party. There's tons of eye candy to admire and plenty of opportunities for late night food as well.

I dunno I used to hate on Toronto pretty bad but these days I've gotten used to the disadvantages and I really like it. I'd say it's gotten a lot better than it used to be. I just can't stand that anything of value has massive lineups and crowds that kinda choke you out of any real fun.

Did any of you check out the Christmas market in distillery? loving ridiculous. There were so many people it's hard to really imagine how you can have an enjoyable date when you're just being pushed around by the crowds.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So, uh, the country kinda just snapped in half because it got too cold in Nipigon. I wonder how much trucking normally goes through there?
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/379810/Newly_constructed_Nipigon_Bridge_splits_in_cold_

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Entropic posted:

So, uh, the country kinda just snapped in half because it got too cold in Nipigon. I wonder how much trucking normally goes through there?
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/379810/Newly_constructed_Nipigon_Bridge_splits_in_cold_

Friggin' brook trout

Edit: Sunny ways indeed, at least this guy knows how to vacation properly.

quote:

Trudeau and family spent 10 days at the Paradise Beach Resort in Nevis, a completely different landscape than his native Canada around this time of year.

Our island sources say Trudeau dropped at least $2,500 a night to stay in a 3,400 square foot villa in Nevis. We're told he also brought some friends with him and enjoyed the beach and some late night cocktails at the beachfront bar.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 11, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dude makes a lot of money, as he's a prime minister and all, why shouldn't he spend it on nice vacations? D'ya expect him to take the Sunwing with the 8-hour unplanned connection to Punta Cana?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Entropic posted:

This is pretty funny, considering for me it's like an hour away from where I grew up.

If the forestry industry were still going strong, like, a dozen or more communities would probably be in a panic. Probably a not-insignificant amount of impact in the short-term if they can't get it fixed quickly. Some of the small towns and reserves nearby are going to be inconvenienced for sure by not being able to get to Thunder Bay. I imagine this is why Greenstone already declared a state of emergency.

They had to tell people all the way in Sault Ste. Marie to not head West, just in case they hadn't heard that they wouldn't be able to make it to Thunder Bay

AegisP fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 11, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

Spend money on infrastructure, idiots

infernal machines posted:

Toronto is awful, it's just that everywhere else in Canada is worse, and jealous about it to boot.

Envious.

Jealousy is another thing.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

The bridge to the reserve has been hosed for what, almost 3 years now? Watch how quick this gets fixed, and for how long the James Street bridge will continue to not get fixed for afterwards. Or don't, watch out for the stupid drivers and/or pedestrians, and stop goddamn mowing people down. Seriously what the gently caress is going on in that town now? It was bad when I left in 2008 but the poo poo that has been coming up on my facebook via my friends in the last 3 years has been astounding.

Someone held up the Mac's I worked at before I left with a snow brush this winter, and that basically summed up where the town is at right now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sooooo that 20bn infrastructure funding core policy plank is a drat good thing right?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sooooo that 20bn infrastructure funding core policy plank is a drat good thing right?

no, because it's just a way to funnel money to friends of the party

so that they can build overpriced bridges that break

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Liberal backed PPP's: once again proving to be inept highway robbery that fails to match the construction quality from loving 1937.

Seriously, you're trying to tell me that in TYOOL 2016 we can't build a bridge that lasts longer than a year without crippling issues, despite a construction budget roughly 20 times that of the bridge we're replacing?

loving hell.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Once Christy Clark declared her intentions of using that policy plank to build a 10 lane bridge to nowhere instead of a subway down Broadway, I decided the money would be better spent by other provinces.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
don't worry this liberal party is better than the other liberal parties

(who am i kidding i still voted for them, yay paucity of choice)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So basically the LPC according to you shouldn't have said anything at all about infrastructure funding?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

So basically the LPC according to you shouldn't have said anything at all about infrastructure funding?

No. It just doesn't at all matter what is said.

e: im just mad about politics today because I had to listen to someone blaming mike harris for the state of ontario jails. loving almost two decades of power and the OLP still have people stumping for them and blaming harris for all of ontario's woes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brannock posted:

Envious.

Jealousy is another thing.

quote:

[jel-uh s]
adjective
1.feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often followed by of):
He was jealous of his rich brother.

2.feeling resentment because of another's success, advantage, etc. (often followed by of):
He was jealous of his brother's wealth.

In other news, Libs prepare to lib harder than ever, with the help of new superstar team member Bill Blair

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
it's not enough that weed gets legalized right

you gotta make sure that the government ensures that there's a massive supply to meet your needs otherwise this effort will be an exercise in failure

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Envy is a deadly sin for a reason, jealousy isn't

It doesn't matter if trash peasants redefine what jealousy is

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Dude makes a lot of money, as he's a prime minister and all, why shouldn't he spend it on nice vacations? D'ya expect him to take the Sunwing with the 8-hour unplanned connection to Punta Cana?

I wasn't being ironic, that is a drat nice vacation and it's great that he's going it in style. I think the CEO of Canada should definitely live an opulent lifestyle to show regular middle class canadians what is possible if they work two to three times as hard as anyone else, this was one of the things Harper always failed at. I'm looking forward to the uptick in GDP growth.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, we desperately need $20 billion over 10 years in federal infrastructure money to fix all the lovely things the Ontario Liberals build with $134 billion over 10 years in infrastructure spending. Maybe Trudeau could use some of that $20bn to buy us back our electricity infrastructure?

quote:

Ontario has reached a significant milestone in the construction of the province's first cable-stayed bridge, located at the Nipigon River crossing on Highway 11/17.

With the westbound lanes of the new Nipigon River Bridge opening tomorrow to two-way traffic, the first phase of construction is complete. Work on the new eastbound lanes and demolition of the existing two-lane bridge continues. The $106-million project, funded through the province's Northern Highways Program, began in 2013 and is expected to be complete in 2017. The bridge will consist of three towers with cables supporting the bridge deck and a separate sidewalk for pedestrians.

This project is part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario's history -- more than $134 billion over 10 years, which is making 110,000 jobs possible every year across Ontario, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals.

Between April and September, the province announced support for more than 200 projects that will keep people and goods moving, strengthen the economy, connect communities and improve quality of life. This project builds on that progress.

These much-needed investments are supported by a number of initiatives, including broadening the ownership of Hydro One -- an approach that raises billions for infrastructure while ensuring consumers are protected. By unlocking the value of provincial assets, the government is supporting critical projects in cities, towns, and rural and remote communities all across Ontario.

Investing in highway infrastructure is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They only spent $140 million on it? Well, there's the problem right there. If they'd spent $1 Billion like the BC Liberals do on bridges, it clearly would have been indestructible by anything short of the sun exploding.

Ontario libs need to step up their cronyism and graft game, clearly.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

It's election time in Manitoba!

The Liberal candidate in my riding and leader of the provincial party was super nice and also had the most wonderful deer in the headlights look when I told her I was primarily going to base my vote on who vows to privatize the least amount of public assets and that I was fully aware that P3s are a garbage idea that only serve to enrich the wealthy.

Who is the official Liberal photographer in Manitoba? Did he just instruct the candidates to "put your face directly against the camera please"?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Brannock posted:

Spend money on infrastructure, idiots

They just did. This bridge that broke is new. Someone's losing their job.

AegisP posted:

This is pretty funny, considering for me it's like an hour away from where I grew up.

If the forestry industry were still going strong, like, a dozen or more communities would probably be in a panic. Probably a not-insignificant amount of impact in the short-term if they can't get it fixed quickly. Some of the small towns and reserves nearby are going to be inconvenienced for sure by not being able to get to Thunder Bay. I imagine this is why Greenstone already declared a state of emergency.

They had to tell people all the way in Sault Ste. Marie to not head West, just in case they hadn't heard that they wouldn't be able to make it to Thunder Bay
One of my friends is a doctor who has a house in Thunder Bay and a rental in Nipigon that he commutes between. There's a lot of communities in the area where people commute in from TBay and this is going to play havoc with some essential services.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

I wasn't being ironic, that is a drat nice vacation and it's great that he's going it in style. I think the CEO of Canada should definitely live an opulent lifestyle to show regular middle class canadians what is possible if they work two to three times as hard as anyone else, this was one of the things Harper always failed at. I'm looking forward to the uptick in GDP growth.

I can't figure out your angle. Should Trudeau and his family....not be permitted to spend their own salaries to go on vacation? Be forced to spend it in Thunder Bay? Be limited to $100/night?

e: also holy gently caress the CBC should disable comments on refugee articles too http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tima-kurdi-says-pepper-pray-attack-doesn-t-reflect-canadians-views-of-refugees-1.3397974

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Entropic posted:

They just did. This bridge that broke is new. Someone's losing their job.

The way these projects are handled It wont be the one deserving of it I can tell you that much.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

PT6A posted:

The Ottawa Citizen ragged on him for not vacationing in Canada. There's no satisfying some people.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/the-gargoyle-trudeau-reportedly-soaked-up-the-sun-in-caribbean

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

What does the promise actually mean other than putting us all on notice that the government will be spending money at some point? Even the way "infrastructure" is being defined is really vague:

quote:

Advocacy groups seek clarity on Liberal ‘social infrastructure’ pledge

BILL CURRY

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016 8:01PM EST
Last updated Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016 8:04PM EST

Expectations that Canada is in for another year of sluggish economic growth have turned a spotlight on how the Liberals will carve up their promised spending of $20-billion for “social infrastructure.”

Pressure is mounting on the federal government to provide stimulus as soon as possible with promised infrastructure cash.

The Liberals’ use of the term “social infrastructure” raised the ire of the NDP during last year’s election campaign because it included spending in areas such as child care that are not usually classified as infrastructure.

The Liberal platform said the 10-year fund would be spent on affordable housing, seniors’ residences, early learning and child care, and cultural and recreational infrastructure. The government has not said how the fund will be divided among these issues.

“People are holding their breath waiting to see what happens next,” said Sharon Gregson, spokeswoman for the Coalition of Child Care Advocates of B.C., one of many child-care advocacy groups that have written to the federal government requesting a meeting but not received a response.

“Nobody wants to have a situation where we’re fighting over the same piece of pie, so I think it would be to the federal government’s benefit to avoid that and make sure that there are dedicated streams of funding for each of those, which are very important subject areas,” she said.

Tim Ross, interim executive director of the Canadian Housing and Renewal Association, agrees clarity is needed and said he will be pushing for a strong pledge for affordable housing. “I know this is perceived to be in competition with other priorities, but we strongly believe there is a lot of public support around affordable housing investments,” he said.

The Liberals are also promising two other $20-billion funds focused on transit and green infrastructure for a total infrastructure package of $60-billion over 10 years.

Yet more than two months after the cabinet was sworn in, a senior minister responsible for delivering key sections of the Liberals’ social infrastructure program has not yet hired a chief of staff.

Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Jean-Yves Duclos is also operating without any communications staff. A public servant is filling in until political aides are hired.

A reference in the platform that was not clearly worded left advocates with the impression that a federal-provincial meeting on child care would take place within the first 100 days of a new Liberal government. But that early February deadline is approaching with no signs that such a meeting will take place by then.

The 100-day deadline was not mentioned in the mandate letters of Mr. Duclos and Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett, who has also been asked to work on a national early-learning and child-care framework.

Child-care advocate Martha Friendly, executive director of the Childcare Resource and Research Unit, said her initial understanding was that a federal-provincial meeting would take place by early February with consultations leading up to that, but she no longer expects that will happen.

“There hasn’t been anybody to set up the meetings,” she said. “It won’t be a surprise to me if child care doesn’t move ahead by the time of the federal budget.”

Mr. Duclos declined an interview request. His office said the minister is communicating with provinces and child-care groups.

“Work on child-care issues is indeed commencing within the first 100 days of the government,” said Alain Garceau, the public servant who is on loan to the minister’s office for communications work.

Andrée-Lyne Hallé, a spokeswoman for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said the political promise was that work would begin on child care within 100 days and not that a federal-provincial meeting would take place. Ms. Hallé said the breakdown of the social infrastructure fund will be announced in the future.

Liberal MP Adam Vaughan, parliamentary secretary to Mr. Trudeau, said housing is the lead component of the social infrastructure fund.

“It’s primarily housing,” he said in an interview. “But we also know – and you see this in Toronto – that when you build housing, you have to do more than just put bedrooms and kitchens together. You’ve also got to put together seniors’ drop-in centres. You’ve got to be able to put in daycare or recreational space in order to be able to make complete communities work functionally.”

NDP MP and finance critic Guy Caron said child care should have clear funding that goes beyond simply new construction. He said the Liberals need to clear this up in the budget.

“Social infrastructure, since they launched it during the campaign, I always wondered what it was,” he said. “It was basically – I won’t say a slush fund – but a big roof to put all of the other investments.... I’m not even sure they have an explanation as to what exactly it encompasses.”

I would wait until we actually have details on this spending before you give yourself too many pats on the back -- especially given that your finance minister previously worked at C.D. Howe and your party just handed the marijuana file to Bill loving Blair.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pretty sure they handed that to Bill Blair specifically so that it wouldnt come to fruition and you of all people should realize that. :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'm not worried that it "won't come to fruition". Rather I'm worried that weed laws and regulation are going to become more restrictive than before because there will now be a powerful corporate lobby with a vested interest in defending their profits.