Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Why the hell do I keep getting excited about mystery shows, like Boku dake ga Inai Machi, even when I know they're going to disappoint me down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kytrarewn posted:

Why the hell do I keep getting excited about mystery shows, like Boku dake ga Inai Machi, even when I know they're going to disappoint me down the line?

the manga has already been finished so I'm sure if it was disappointing it'd be everywhere by now like the way people were going OHHHH BOY when GATE started or Bunny Drop was running

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Kytrarewn posted:

So what you're saying is :iiam:?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

There is nothing particularly mmo-ish in grimgar anyway. Transported to a fantasy world stories long predate video games.

I disagree. The world's littered with game elements, from classes to those little badges to Tarou-dude grumbling about wanting to kill goblins so he could level up and get new special skills. Now, that may, on its own, look like nothing more than uninspired world design (hi, Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?), but that whole 'what's a game?' exchange was a pretty broad hint about what happened to these kids.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Divine Gate so far has the best "moment". Opens up with a superpowered psychopath terrorizing a high school girl at the front of the bus, and another guy with superpowers comes to stop him.

Both of these people were speaking seriously and wearing professional attire, lending the show an air of credibility.

All of a sudden, out come these dipshits, shouting "We're the world council!", ruining the entire feel that they'd managed to build, up to that point:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AnimeLab's added a few more simulcasts;

BBK/BRNK, which was kinda interesting, but needs a three-episode test because the first one seemed to be dumping a whole lot of things on the viewer at once. CGI animation was pretty good too.

Dimension W, which I really enjoyed but does indeed need a better budget. The big dimensional gateway thing at the end was pretty drat cool though.

Grimgar; Ashes and Illusions.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 11, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

the manga has already been finished so I'm sure if it was disappointing it'd be everywhere by now like the way people were going OHHHH BOY when GATE started or Bunny Drop was running

The manga's still ongoing

I mean I could see the current chapter as a place to finish, but I'm pretty sure it's not the ending

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's ending soon and the studio has said the anime will have the manga ending.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 11, 2016

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
So, the ginger kid in Grimgar is basically Favaro before he grew his afro out, yeah?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Bubuki Buranki or whatever the hell it's supposed to be called comes across as a pretty clever and well paced show, too bad the 3dcg looks as ugly as sin.

Dimension W is pretty slick and gorgeously made.

Grimgar could potentially be good, it's beautifully animated, and the personalities of all the characters shine through as such. I'm just worried that it'll drag like crazy, the viewpoint characters can barely survive in this world, it's painful to look at. The least they could have done was toss them a tiny victory. Also, Favarro needs to learn when to shut his loving mouth.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

My dad had some weird fantasy novel from the 80's about college-age kids getting sent to a medieval fantasy world. I don't remember getting very far in it, but I do remember that everyone was an rear end in a top hat.

anyway, more show thoughts!

SEKKOU BOYS: I want a thousand episodes of this.

DIMENSION W: I definitely see why people are comparing it to stuff like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. It very much has a vibe, though more the former to me because of android girls and not really having the animation to cash the action scene checks it wants to. (At least so far.) I think it's my favorite show of the season which is obvious because I'm talking way too much about it. The fanservice feels really forced and bad, though.

GRIMGAR: Boy it looks nice and I kind of like the slow, low-key fantasy style but also I don't find the cast super likeable and this show is gonna live or die on that. It's a problem. I liked it better than Active Raid which I'm still going to watch so I might as well watch this too?

Was the novel GUARDIANS OF THE FLAME? There's a part where the main character frees slaves while thinking about the national anthem lmao, it was so goofy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Divine Gate is an unintentionally amazing comedy. It is somehow less well-written than the other anime with gate in the title this season, and that one started with RAPE RAPE RAPE.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Was the novel GUARDIANS OF THE FLAME? There's a part where the main character frees slaves while thinking about the national anthem lmao, it was so goofy.

Might also be The Fionnovar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay, about a bunch of students from the university of Toronto getting sucked into a fantasy world.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway, Grimgar is clearly a remake of the old D&D cartoon from the eighties. :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Anyway, Grimgar is clearly a remake of the old D&D cartoon from the eighties. :v:

Checks out, they have a red-haired smartass

e: my memory of Saturday morning cartoons failed, I don't think that one actually had a character like that

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 11, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if a unicorn or the little red robed guy appear im dropping it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Woozey posted:

So, the ginger kid in Grimgar is basically Favaro before he grew his afro out, yeah?

Man, Favaro had a lovely childhood personality.

Grimgar was really pretty and really relaxed. I like that they aren't going for an action show, or banking on the fantasy to sell itself. I'll stick with it if it continues with the sol pacing.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Active Raid looks like a fun and light-hearted series that is going to be driven more by its fun characters than its action scenes.

Dagash Kashi is doing that thing in anime where people are completely, over-the-top passionate about a mundane subject (candy), and it's really good at it. Hotaru's eyes are hypnotic, like a cobra's.

Gate is still grate, but I hope that the thread for it doesn't start up again, because all of the whining in it was really greating.

HaruChika had a really touching first episode, and it really made me like the characters, so I hope it can keep my interest. Haruta's eyes are hypnotic, like a cobra's.

Koukaku no Pandora looks like it's following the manga pretty faithfully, which doesn't surprise me because it wouldn't be that difficult a thing to do. What does surprise me is some of the color choices they made here and there. It has a pretty cute ED, too.

Schwarzesmarken looks like it's going to be my thing, which is anime looking or an excuse to dress its characters up in WWII/post-WWII military uniforms and aesthetics. On the other hand, it's already shown which characters are going to get the most attention and development, so it already has more characters than it needs.

Sushi Police:

I haven't seen Grimgar or Dimension W yet, but everyone here seems to like them enough that I'm going to have to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sushi Police looks cool and good and makes me want sushi.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

i wish someone had warned me about rokka!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

i wish someone had warned me about rokka!!

i think people who had read it assumed they wouldn't end on that wet fart and save it for a theoretical season 2

but they didn't

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just didn't think the ending was that bad. like i laughed at the new Brave reveal and felt the novel had been an okay experience in spite of the fanslation.

though it's not like the LN had a picture of that terrible cow armor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I only watched a bit of Rokka. Do these destined warriors spend the entire season solving this weird locked-room mystery instead of fighting bad guys?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At least Boku Dake's (as yet unfinished) ending is pretty good and not a Rokka quality wet fart.

Speaking of which, I looked up what else Kei Sanbe has done and other than Boku Dake he's got nothing but derivative sienen horror and some hentai under his belt.

:shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

At least Boku Dake's (as yet unfinished) ending is pretty good and not a Rokka quality wet fart.

Speaking of which, I looked up what else Kei Sanbe has done and other than Boku Dake he's got nothing but derivative sienen horror and some hentai under his belt.

:shrug:

What kind of hentai?

As in, should we be a little more concerned about the protagonist time-travelling back into elementary school?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I only watched a bit of Rokka. Do these destined warriors spend the entire season solving this weird locked-room mystery instead of fighting bad guys?
Pretty much, and then the final episode is a fuckin laugher

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, that's what made it interesting. Until the last episode.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i just didn't think the ending was that bad. like i laughed at the new Brave reveal and felt the novel had been an okay experience in spite of the fanslation.

though it's not like the LN had a picture of that terrible cow armor

it was really fun but the ending was annoying considering there was no guarantee they would resolve it

like, they could have just cut the episode 3 minutes earlier and would have done fine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What kind of hentai?

As in, should we be a little more concerned about the protagonist time-travelling back into elementary school?

i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that well-regarded here if it had ~weird fanservice~

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

Darth Walrus posted:

What kind of hentai?

Going by Cradle of Monsters and the stuff I saw by him when I was looking for other stuff he did after I finished that, he's mostly concerned with drawing big butts, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

it was really fun but the ending was annoying considering there was no guarantee they would resolve it

like, they could have just cut the episode 3 minutes earlier and would have done fine

yeah, not going for a sequel hook probably would've served the series better, but they might have been banking on adapting the later novels. i get the impression that's not happening now...but only based on bad BD sales and people losing it over the ending here.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Rokka's entire last episode is a fever dream. There's the nonsensical bullshit way they solve the mystery the entire show is about, the fact that there's not a loving action scene in the last episode of the action show, the bad guy being motivated by the power of ~insanity~, the bad guy getting to just leave the confrontation, and then that new character is ridiculous in every loving way possible.

The ending is kinda perfect really.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

how was the bad guy motivated by insanity? they were trying to forge a peace treaty, it just had a hosed up reparations clause (kill thousands of humans)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just a note for the folks who posted in this thead about how there was nothing good this season, way before anything aired: in the OP right now there's ten full length shows :siren:ed, two shorts :siren:ed, and that doesn't include the cool shows continuing from last season. I know this is all a matter of opinion but come on, y'all always forget that anime is good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The only shows worth :siren:ing are the shows I like

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

King of Fighters is getting an anime and a live action drama.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

4 foot tall chinese man playing as geese howard menacingly walks into frame

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I predict that the Psycho Soldier team will not get nearly enough screen time in either version, and that will make both versions suck.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

After getting burned by the PSO2 anime, my hype is reserved.

I'll play KoF games that I got from the NeoGeo humble bundle, but not because of hype.

Please be good. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woozey posted:

Going by Cradle of Monsters and the stuff I saw by him when I was looking for other stuff he did after I finished that, he's mostly concerned with drawing big butts, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Big butts are acceptable.

Anyways, after this crop of first episodes, I'll be continuing with Grimgar, Active Raid, Erased, Rakugo Shinju, Luck and Logic, and Dimension W, plus Iron-Blooded Orphans from last season. Of those, Erased and Rakugo seem the only genuinely great ones (discounting IBO, which continues to be excellent Gundam), with Grimgar seeming the most likely of the rest to become something special (that was a supremely confident first episode that really elevated the hoary premise - like Log Horizon, but prettier and more human). Active Raid and Luck and Logic, meanwhile, are the closest to being dropped - I'll watch until they stop being fun. So, slightly on the low side of normal for an anime season.

• Locked thread