Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Star Citizen: The only game dumb enough to be tangentaly related to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper Dan posted:

You don't need cutting edge graphics anymore because good art design has largely replaced that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Unfunny Poster posted:

There was already a Crank sequel. I think they even made a third one.

Oh yeah totally forgot about crank 2 : crank harder, good film, but they haven't made a third one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CrazyLoon posted:

TBH, that kiddyfucker's hardly a typical Star Citizen and more like one of those absolute morons that throw themselves against the :10bux: of SA for sport and their own mental illness. There were a few others, though, like Balalaika on the CIG forums, whom I remember storming into the goon thread over there and posting how everyone must be just jealous of her titties, unlike those of Lauresh. This summer she (SCDruggie) had another meltdown here, after coming over to defend CIG's honoure, before asking to be banned while saying: "You will unban me when this game comes out, right?" to which Cowcaster simply said 'No.' and banned her. She hasn't been back since.

Then there are also other posters ITT who were known citizens over on the RSI forums that still persist, such as Dorkpriest. I'll let you be the judge there I suppose.

There's these kinds of citizen stories here and there, if you feel like trawling the endless maze that are the SC threads, I'm sure.
Do you have a link to the Balalaika / SCDruggie drama?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://gfycat.com/RespectfulVeneratedGrebe

the second grab cracks me up for some reason.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lets be honest, its Chris Roberts doing the art design in Star Citizen so this is to be expected

aleksendr posted:

There is also the probability that any design direction someone try to take is trumped by the "next big sale" mentality.

You want racers ? We got ferraris in space ! You want Milsim ? We got F-15 with nose art ! You want "plucky traders" ? We got fireflys ! You want capships ? Have a big flying hangar !

The luxury liner and the alien ships are nice. Sadly its the military hardware (probably developped for SQ42 under Chris more personnal taste) that are very "Meh".

Sigh. We cant have Jodorowsky everywhere i guess...

This is true too, everything seems to have been sacrificed for that 'sell the ships first, sell the game second' mentality, hence why there is a fifth wave of ships.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its like a popcorn machine making GBS threads out clones of the same dude

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

This thread

This loving thread

Bless you all for your efforts

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I can't stop laughing at it, it's perfect

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

With all the talk of Dredd and Mad Max, it just made me think of how much cooler Star Citizen would be if it was made like a 1980s, gritty Space Adventure movie instead of boring, clean generic sci-fi. It really doesn't have much of a soul behind it, all it has going for it is that it looks pretty.

I don't really see how anyone can be captivated by it.

Well, immersion. Immersion will be everywhere. Why live in real life when you can wake up in the 'Verse, know your character needs to poo poo and piss, and then go groggily get some Space Coffee(TM) and start your lovely, awful day working as a space slave on someone elses ship in forced servitude because you happen to be Space Poor(TM) Sound fun, right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

Do you have a link to the Balalaika / SCDruggie drama?

Just look up SC_Druggie on the SA forum search and read their posts (it's about 4 pages). It basically is them slowly getting more and more fed up with Goons not buying into the idea that Star Citizen is the greatest game ever.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Dapper Dan posted:

Lets be honest, its Chris Roberts doing the art design in Star Citizen so this is to be expected

This is true too, everything seems to have been sacrificed for that 'sell the ships first, sell the game second' mentality, hence why there is a fifth wave of ships.

Roberts removing his approval of designs after they were approved and complete also probably contributed towards the art becoming bland and generic. Who wants to bother taking risks and trying to create something unique and interesting under that environment?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

grimcreaper posted:

Well, immersion. Immersion will be everywhere. Why live in real life when you can wake up in the 'Verse, know your character needs to poo poo and piss, and then go groggily get some Space Coffee(TM) and start your lovely, awful day working as a space slave on someone elses ship in forced servitude because you happen to be Space Poor(TM) Sound fun, right?

That's another thing, do people really want 'realistic immersion'? People play games to escape reality (at least most of the time), do they really want the most realistic experience ever? That poo poo usually ends up being painfully boring and only engaging to the most autistic nerds who love that retarded, grindy poo poo.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Roberts removing his approval of designs after they were approved and complete also probably contributed towards the art becoming bland and generic. Who wants to bother taking risks and trying to create something unique and interesting under that environment?

That is true too, there are really no benefits to taking risks in such an environment, only to get the thing approved as fast as possible otherwise you just create more work for yourself.

Also hilarious that Roberts spends large amounts of money hiring extremely talented artists and then demand they produce the most bland, derivative junk ever.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
e: nevermind

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
immersion in space is about as boring as it could get. you have to use a shitload of sci-fi and spacial handwaving to make any space game even remotely interesting, which none of them have ever accomplished

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Its like the result of someone first movie in Source engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3Z8eqFIf0

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

Big Rigs: Space Truckin'

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I did. Not happy with it. Trashed it. Going to be having a chat with Bootcha about it today.

You do realize that nearly all of us have no musical tone or pitch control?

Unless you're doing some weird/awesome like juggling cats or recording yourself on the bench of a courtroom.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bootcha posted:

Unless you're doing some weird/awesome like juggling cats or recording yourself on the bench of a courtroom.

This can be solved by downloading auto-tune and applying it to yourself.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zombie Squared posted:

Do the math, nerd. A super fan is easily worth weighs twice as much as anyone giving legitimate criticism

FYP

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

no i need to see my arms flailing around of their own volition going through a twenty-step starship ignition process or I won't be able to suspend my disbelief and I'll realise I'm some autistic whale in a cheap office chair that's spent thousands on jpegs of lacklustre space ships

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Dapper Dan posted:

Also hilarious that Roberts spends large amounts of money hiring extremely talented artists and then demand they produce the most bland, derivative junk ever.

If this project has proven anything, it's that no amount of money can fix bad management and overinflated egos.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Hey Reddit! Archive this!!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

The only thing that needs to be said

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Bootcha posted:

If Derek juggles real cats I will go buy that game of his he is always pitching.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Bootcha posted:

If smart juggles cats in the goon-de-ja video game, I will give everything up!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

That's another thing, do people really want 'immersion'? People play games to escape reality (at least most of the time), do they really want the most realistic experience ever? That poo poo usually ends up being painfully boring and only engaging to the most autistic nerds who love that retarded, grindy poo poo.

Thats the weird thing with Star Citizen. Every time Croberts talks about stuff, people eat it up. Then you have hundreds of posts on the CiG forums talking about how "You need slowboat style 4 second animations to get in and out of chairs! No one should be able to run inside stations!" as examples.

And then you have the CiG-given example of "When you have passangers on your ship, you have to MANUALLY change out the Video they are watching!"

I legitimately believe these people DO want true 100% life-to-game immersion. They seem to want the most tedious, bullshit, boring things to be a part of their "immersion" simply to escape into the "Verse.

I have been trying to wrap my head around some of the posts ive read on the RSI forums and the only thing ive come out of it with is a headache. They somehow think their Space Immersion(TM) will last a minimum of 10 years. Some are even claiming it will be The ONLY game they will play for DECADES!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dapper Dan posted:

That's another thing, do people really want 'realistic immersion'? People play games to escape reality (at least most of the time), do they really want the most realistic experience ever? That poo poo usually ends up being painfully boring and only engaging to the most autistic nerds who love that retarded, grindy poo poo.

In my experience, many think they do riiight up until the point where they get what they're asking for. Then they quickly notice that it's horrible and takes too long and just gets in the way of any actual semblance of gameplay and fun.

grimcreaper posted:

I have been trying to wrap my head around some of the posts ive read on the RSI forums and the only thing ive come out of it with is a headache. They somehow think their Space Immersion(TM) will last a minimum of 10 years. Some are even claiming it will be The ONLY game they will play for DECADES!

Well, yeah. EVE has been around for longer than that and a fair portion of the Citizens have fled to SC to revive their EVE dreams. Never mind that one of the reasons it has survived as long as it has is due to it offering the kind of gameplay that they're fleeing from — without it, it would have folded a long time ago.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Star Citizen: Or I how I learned to shut up and love the PAAAAAAAAAAAAARP :gary:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Probably because he grabs it without bending down, his arm literally stretches out to grab it like some One Piece reject.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've been listening to the singer La roux (great musician highly recommend listening to her) and specifically her song : tropical chancer, the lyrics just seem so right at the moment for this thread and SC.

He'll take the money and the food that's in your hand
But you have to understand that he's a dreamer
Living my life within a mile you could believe
This place turns honest men to thieves

He'll trade your loving for the things he's never seen
The places he has never been
Oh but remember he is just a good pretender
And he doesn't give his love away for free
:allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Thats the weird thing with Star Citizen. Every time Croberts talks about stuff, people eat it up. Then you have hundreds of posts on the CiG forums talking about how "You need slowboat style 4 second animations to get in and out of chairs! No one should be able to run inside stations!" as examples.

And then you have the CiG-given example of "When you have passangers on your ship, you have to MANUALLY change out the Video they are watching!"

I legitimately believe these people DO want true 100% life-to-game immersion. They seem to want the most tedious, bullshit, boring things to be a part of their "immersion" simply to escape into the "Verse.

Some even want it to be the last game they play for the rest of their lives.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Mirificus posted:

since there'll likely be a mass space whale suicide when CIG folds one of the alphas probably will be the last game they play

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

Just look up SC_Druggie on the SA forum search and read their posts (it's about 4 pages). It basically is them slowly getting more and more fed up with Goons not buying into the idea that Star Citizen is the greatest game ever.
Is the SC_Druggie on Reddit them as well?

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Mirificus posted:

Surely that aint gonna be so far.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

:gary: Bless all you goons for this thread :yarg: Thanks to you I have discovered that the only thing funnier than grown men who are mad about videogames turns out to be grown men who are mad about videogames that don't exist.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=212447

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

That is true too, there are really no benefits to taking risks in such an environment, only to get the thing approved as fast as possible otherwise you just create more work for yourself.

It might be culture at work. You can see Korean and most of asia having absolutely no problem with tons of grindy poo poo, sometime complaining when games are not grindy enough. Germany and eastern europe are rabid fans of "Mundane simulators" to the point that its taking 80% of store shelf space. The US might have another opinion since we have so many competing leisure industry that we always feel like we have other poo poo to do.

The art definitely has a feel of "Go with the safe options" and churn it out in time for the next trade show event.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

grimcreaper posted:

It makes sense, the only people who want proven-to-be crap like slow movement, unskippable animations, and tedious microtasking are people who haven't played any games for decades

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoGxOxzAwc&feature=youtu.be&t=1h50m50s

Stretch goals? Don't talk about stretch goals, stretch goals really?????

Drops mic, and leaves room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

Is the SC_Druggie on Reddit them as well?

No clue, but maybe?

• Locked thread