Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

420 Gank Mid posted:

Can you post a screenshot of the in-progress battle screen while this is happening? Its possible your regiments are individually routing before the morale bar on the map updates if they are beat very quickly. Do they enter a shattered retreat or do they just go to a nearby province with still full morale?

Can't get a screenshot as I didn't see this post until after that war where it was happening a lot was over and it hasn't happened since. I was getting shattered retreats but the morale bar was still where it was during the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So, the reformation hit early, and the league wars have not yet begun. I managed to stamp out one center of the reformation, but one was all the way in Bohemia. They are too large to force convert (assuming I could even get an appropriate CB). Then I notice that Catholic zealots had spawned. I began to fund them and got a support rebel demand cb.

After a tough fight against them, Bosnia and the Ottomans, I was able to enforce rebel demands. But when they agreed, they remained protestant and the center of reformation was still there. Should this have happened? Did the catholic zealots have some other goal than to force convert back to catholicism? Is there a way to check their demands first before I commit my money and men?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Problem is it's more like "a few minutes more" for a lot of their consumers. I'm cool with them forcing you to restart for MP so you don't ruin everyone else's experience, but for SP it's pretty annoying that they don't give you a choice. Sure I've crashed a lot less since the patch, but it was probably only a half-the-time sort of deal beforehand so this seems like a pretty extreme workaround.

I'm not personally that bothered by it but some of my friends with worse computers sure are. Actually I am bothered by the fact that there's no way to quit the game from the nation selection screens so I've taken to force quitting with a task manager every time I want to quit EU4, but Wiz did mention that the UI is improved a lot in 1.15 so hopefully that'll get fixed.

It's a little annoying, yeah. Might be nice to have the option to quit from any screen. Doesn't come up much, but I've mostly just been starting a game as some random county and then quitting.

When I remember.

When I hit "back" from nation selection intending to quit (to load/unload a mod, check the wiki/whatever) and the game quits and reloads I always :ughh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Larry Parrish posted:

It's just funny to me that Paradox games can have factors like whether or not its the first time the client connected to the server causing sync errors. How does that happen in a real-time game.

Real time games are actually the easiest things to desync because it's not realistic for the server to constantly send out an updated gamestate so a single misstep somewhere easily leads to a giant mess.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

The biggest issue for Paradox was that it hosed up multiplayer synching I think somehow.

On Saturday we had a 36 player game go our full four hours without having a single desync. It's been extremely stable since 1.13.2.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

BigRoman posted:

So, the reformation hit early, and the league wars have not yet begun. I managed to stamp out one center of the reformation, but one was all the way in Bohemia. They are too large to force convert (assuming I could even get an appropriate CB). Then I notice that Catholic zealots had spawned. I began to fund them and got a support rebel demand cb.

After a tough fight against them, Bosnia and the Ottomans, I was able to enforce rebel demands. But when they agreed, they remained protestant and the center of reformation was still there. Should this have happened? Did the catholic zealots have some other goal than to force convert back to catholicism? Is there a way to check their demands first before I commit my money and men?

zealots cant force convert unless more than 50% of the nation is the religion they like, if they dont have a plurality they just force tolerance

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yashichi posted:

If you take Malta there's an event with a 10 year MTTH that lets you release them in Malta. You have to be at peace, be independent, and not have your capital in Malta. It only fires once per country but if you haven't had it before you're fine.

e: The bigger worry is the Livonian Order who have no primary culture cores and also no event to bring them back.

You're able to culture convert any province to any neighboring province's culture. So, as long as you get a line of province's to some Prussian land you can culture convert all the way up to livonian land and resurrect them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fintilgin posted:

It's a little annoying, yeah. Might be nice to have the option to quit from any screen. Doesn't come up much, but I've mostly just been starting a game as some random county and then quitting.

When I remember.

When I hit "back" from nation selection intending to quit (to load/unload a mod, check the wiki/whatever) and the game quits and reloads I always :ughh:

Yes this is terrible. I was just about to post about it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

You're able to culture convert any province to any neighboring province's culture. So, as long as you get a line of province's to some Prussian land you can culture convert all the way up to livonian land and resurrect them.

True but in that scenario I think you're working against the 50-year timer until their (non-primary culture) cores disappear. So doable, but tough.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

In my Pope game, TO formed Prussia and there was no way for me to release them back as TO, which was sad because I had Triple the army of any other country by 1600 and second place was France who was my BFF.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Returned to the game after a long break and bought some new DLC. Trie Muscovy and was amazed at how the Polish-Lithuanian union happens within just a few years now.

So, any tips on a Timurids run? I tried it ages ago and the country always disintegrated itself within 60 years.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sephyr posted:

Returned to the game after a long break and bought some new DLC. Trie Muscovy and was amazed at how the Polish-Lithuanian union happens within just a few years now.

So, any tips on a Timurids run? I tried it ages ago and the country always disintegrated itself within 60 years.

Joke answer: release Persia, select 'play as'.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Emperor going to demand unlawful territory from my vassal if I am allied to the Emperor?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

True but in that scenario I think you're working against the 50-year timer until their (non-primary culture) cores disappear. So doable, but tough.
I believe even this is not true as LO does not own any land that has its Primary Culture at game start, so once they are gone I think they are gone forever.

Tsyni posted:

Is the Emperor going to demand unlawful territory from my vassal if I am allied to the Emperor?
Yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sephyr posted:

It always used to form that early, it's just that it's now a global event with notifications for everyone, rather than a decision for Poland that got triggered quietly in the background. I'm not entirely sure why they changed it though; and in the process they made the odds of Poland not opting for the union way too high (at 25%).

My only Timurids experience is super dated, way before the rebel revamp (in CS?), and all the new Horde stuff, but I found it highly satisfying to swap to Shia right off the bat for the +10% morale.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

It always used to form that early, it's just that it's now a global event with notifications for everyone, rather than a decision for Poland that got triggered quietly in the background. I'm not entirely sure why they changed it though; and in the process they made the odds of Poland not opting for the union way too high (at 25%).
I like that they did that because it adds some more variation to that part of the world. Dealing with that megablob every game gets tedious.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I like that they did that because it adds some more variation to that part of the world. Dealing with that megablob every game gets tedious.

Even if they don't form the union, Poland and Lithuania are megabros and it's not an easy alliance to break apart. Independent Lithuania will hate Muscovy and often times Poland with Lithuania PU'd won't rival Muscovy as early, so it does shake things up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Even if they don't form the union, Poland and Lithuania are megabros and it's not an easy alliance to break apart. Independent Lithuania will hate Muscovy and often times Poland with Lithuania PU'd won't rival Muscovy as early, so it does shake things up.
Yes but if they are not in a union they can be forced to break their alliance, they can rival each other, they can be dragged into wars without the other, ect
But that is why I like it. It shakes it up a little but isnt going to totally poo poo on history.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hey whoever's running the Europa Gooniversalis mod, you might want to make the Azores, Madiera, and the Canaries uncolonized provinces as opposed to letting Portugal and Castile keep them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bort Bortles posted:

I believe even this is not true as LO does not own any land that has its Primary Culture at game start, so once they are gone I think they are gone forever.

Yes.

You can change the culture of the provinces which have their cores. You just need to get them to border Prussian cultured lands, which isn't too hard seeing as they border Prussian lands.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I hate it for the same reason that Castile sometimes doesn't take the union with Aragon: it makes no loving sense to take that option; certainly a human player never would. And especially when I'm playing in that part of the world, I like having a megablob to contend with.

That said, Lithuania is pretty over developed at the start, and could use having her history files razed a bit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Welp.

It was a nice run while it lasted. I'm not even sure if rivaling one of their rivals would matter.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 11, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

It's very annoying. Vassal feeding in the HRE only really works if you feed someone their cores.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can change the culture of the provinces which have their cores. You just need to get them to border Prussian cultured lands, which isn't too hard seeing as they border Prussian lands.
Ahh I didnt catch/understand this the first time you said, I get it now. That is pretty innovative, I like it.

Node posted:

Welp.

It was a nice run while it lasted. I'm not even sure if rivaling one of their rivals would matter.
Give that one province back to Circassia?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bort Bortles posted:

Ahh I didnt catch/understand this the first time you said, I get it now. That is pretty innovative, I like it.

Give that one province back to Circassia?

They're my vassal. Should I release them too? I figure they will just get eaten by the Ottomans or Golden Horde.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

They're my vassal. Should I release them too? I figure they will just get eaten by the Ottomans or Golden Horde.
That I couldnt comment on. I imagine the Ottomans optinion of you would change if they do not border YOU, regardless of your vassal, since the AI can be wonky, but I have no sure idea and I know you are on Ironman.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Node posted:

Welp.

You can't go get pol-lit to be your bulldog while you beat up on the hordes?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

Welp.

Hope PLC and Muscovy can cover you when Ottomans inevitably declare.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Node posted:

wouldn't it not matter since you share that water tile and they could claim your coast?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You must launch a pre-emptive attack. They will not expect it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dibujante posted:

You can't go get pol-lit to be your bulldog while you beat up on the hordes?

I wish. The most I could get was a RM. I couldn't get them friendly so they would ally me. They rivaled me now, my only ally is Muscovy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Who else can you ally? They don't need to actually be useful against the Otto's, anyone medium-ish will do, just to make your alliance numbers bigger. That's what the AI seems to care about in its attacks. That and manpower.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Shoot for the moon and try Austria.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Who else can you ally? They don't need to actually be useful against the Otto's, anyone medium-ish will do, just to make your alliance numbers bigger. That's what the AI seems to care about in its attacks. That and manpower.

I've been checking, believe me. Austria is a no no, too far away for a RM and other negatives for alliances. Hungary is another nope, Bohemia is a nope, the only one is Sweden, who would let me help in their war for independence. Sweden + Muscovy + 17k of my troops might equal the Ottomans? I don't know if that would be enough to ward off an attack.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If they do declare war, ship your guys north immediately and either attach to Muscovy's army or just hide out in Moscow or one of the Baltic coast provinces while the Ottomans siege your stuff down. They'll throw a bunch of manpower into sieging you and your allies down while Muscovy draws on its manpower reserves and mercs. It'll probably slow Muscovy down a bit but that's probably good because you don't want them to expand too quickly.

Plus worst case you'll probably just have to do something like release Circassia and give up that one province we're telling you to sell. You can lose a war or two and still turn out fine, especially if your goal is to eventually migrate to Germany or snake though Poland anyway.

e: Plus a QQ of that size will probably jump at the Ottomans if they run low on manpower as well as possibly Poland and Lithuania. A stubborn player refusing to easily end a war can drag a much stronger AI down with them if they play their cards right.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

FadingChord posted:

If they do declare war, ship your guys north immediately and either attach to Muscovy's army or just hide out in Moscow or one of the Baltic coast provinces while the Ottomans siege your stuff down. They'll throw a bunch of manpower into sieging you and your allies down while Muscovy draws on its manpower reserves and mercs. It'll probably slow Muscovy down a bit but that's probably good because you don't want them to expand too quickly.

Plus worst case you'll probably just have to do something like release Circassia and give up that one province we're telling you to sell. You can lose a war or two and still turn out fine, especially if your goal is to eventually migrate to Germany or snake though Poland anyway.

e: Plus a QQ of that size will probably jump at the Ottomans if they run low on manpower as well as possibly Poland and Lithuania. A stubborn player refusing to easily end a war can drag a much stronger AI down with them if they play their cards right.

I just want to play peacefully by myself and then destroy the HRE, why can't the Ottomans understand that :qq:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Bonuses that are so terrible they have no reason to exist:

-10% Recruitment Time (Expansion and Offensive ideas). WOW IM SURE GLAD MY ARMY UNITS FINISHED BUILDING SEVERAL DAYS FASTER -no one, ever. They bought mercs and didn't give a gently caress about a couple days difference.
-10% Reduce Inflation Cost (Innovative). Okay so, reducing inflation costs 75 ADM, so this saves you 7.5 ADM points per every 2.00 inflation reduced. This breaks even in point cost after you have purchased 53 inflation reductions (or bought 106 points of inflation). Lol why??
+Garrison Growth. (various NIs, for example Austria) I have yet to see where this is actually useful. My captured or mothballed forts regenerate their garrisons slightly faster. Ok...?
+% Available Mercs. (Admin, Plutocratic, Quantity ideas) It doesn't increase your force limits like before, and honestly you're an edge case if you're actually fielding close to your maximum number of mercs. Vaguely useful for rich nations in the mid-late game but does nothing for the 95% of nations who can't afford their normal merc cap.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 12, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Garrisons need to get to 100 because otherwise the siege is an auto win but since I think everyone gets there on the monthly tick anyway, yeah, garrison growth is useless.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Bonuses that are so terrible they have no reason to exist:

-10% Recruitment Time (Expansion and Offensive ideas). WOW IM SURE GLAD MY ARMY UNITS FINISHED BUILDING SEVERAL DAYS FASTER -no one, ever. They bought mercs and didn't give a gently caress about a couple days difference.
-10% Reduce Inflation Cost (Innovative). Okay so, reducing inflation costs 75 ADM, so this saves you 7.5 ADM points per every 2.00 inflation reduced. This breaks even in point cost after you have purchased 53 inflation reductions (or bought 106 points of inflation). Lol why??
+Garrison Growth. (various NIs, for example Austria) I have yet to see where this is actually useful. My captured or mothballed forts regenerate their garrisons slightly faster. Ok...?
+% Available Mercs. (Admin, Plutocratic, Quantity ideas) It doesn't increase your force limits like before, and honestly you're an edge case if you're actually fielding close to your maximum number of mercs. Vaguely useful for rich nations in the mid-late game but does nothing for the 95% of nations who can't afford their normal merc cap.

- -Yearly Naval Tradition Decay (Naples): Total poo poo
- +Spy Defense (Naples, various others): Maybe helps with Agitate for Liberty? Still awful.
- -Cost of Reducing War Exhaustion (Bengal, Diplomatic): Not quite as bad as Reduce Inflation since you might use it in a war, but still really bad. It's just not that expensive to reduce war exhaustion even at sticker price, and they're dip points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

+Available Advisers is almost completely useless now that you can just dismiss them. Increased Heir Chance is the gold standard of useless bonuses.

• Locked thread