Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If they nerf dragonhunter I swear to god I'm done with you Anet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I too, chuckled at how they specifically said melee autoattacks.

I hope the improvement to acrobatics is deleting it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"We think Revenant's sword auto-attack is too powerful even though it's the only reliable DPS revenants have"

"On the note of nerfing non-warrior heavy-classes access to DPS, Guardians are doing damage now so gently caress them, too"

"Berserkers are still not as perfect as they can be, wanna make them OP just by using one weapon set at all times"

"We are going to buff all Thief's auto-attack chains to somehow make them want to use initiative offensively"

"Scrappers are a bit too defensive in our game mode that only promotes defensive builds"

"Okay, we get it, Diamond Skin is stupid, so it's gonna be ele's 412941th condi removal instead."

"No, we aren't nerfing Distortion, Alacrity (main selling point of Chronomancers) is the real problem"

"We are slowly figuring out that being able to heal while in Death Shroud really should be baseline"

"Thanks to giving Rangers overpowered heals and implementing a game mode that favors healing for once, we finally acknowledge that Rangers are a thing"

"Stomping foes with quickness and slow on you is too hard to fix, so now no one can do it at all"

"Oh, and scepter buffs. Since warriors don't use them, we didn't really bother, but whatever"

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I'm glad Diamond Skin is being changed to fit the Elementalist theme better because it would suck if Anet were just caving to the "balanced gameplay" people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

loving Karl coming to nerf our specs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Karl "Literally Hitler" McLain

e: I look forward to the autoattack buffs changing thief meta into standing still mashing 1 like every other class

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
"OH what, just because I promised a rework of thief pistol suddenly that means I'm actually expected to do it?"

Karl "Killing Fields Enthusiast" McLain

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
I think we'll be dead before we see the improvement in DPS...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Next thing you know, Karl will force thief players to register in a database so they can be tracked.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Karl will give thieves perma-stealth just because he can't stand the sight of them.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Irrelevant thief changes and rev nerfs...they really don't want me to play.

Though I don't really get where they're going with rev. "Less focused on autoattacks, better at singling out/attacking". For real what does that mean.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It is a high level overview, a statement of objectives. Actually there were no objectives even, but you get the idea.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I hope they don't re-balance the elite specs, now that I've spent the whole expac complaining about how they're all OP.

Generic Octopus posted:

Though I don't really get where they're going with rev. "Less focused on autoattacks, better at singling out/attacking". For real what does that mean.

Hopefully Sword 3 will only hit your target instead of spreading around the hits, as well as being an actual DPS increase to use over the auto.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just gonna drop this here.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I read somewhere that you could start a personal guild and pretty easily get 50 storage slots for non-account bound stuff. Good idea or lovely?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Yep, still a pretty good time to play a warrior.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

None of these balance changes matter because your class is irrelevant in the Real Game, SAB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I read somewhere that you could start a personal guild and pretty easily get 50 storage slots for non-account bound stuff. Good idea or lovely?

I did this before the expansion with an alt guild (Arus Catering Services Ltd [ARUS]) really easily so I have no idea how reasonable this is with the current/new guild system.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Softface posted:

Yep, still a pretty good time to play a warrior.

4 Berserker warriors + 1 Mesmer still relevant.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I've been telling you all to just play warriors since day 1. :smug:

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did this before the expansion with an alt guild (Arus Catering Services Ltd [ARUS]) really easily so I have no idea how reasonable this is with the current/new guild system.

Cool. Maybe I'll give it a try then.

Does anyone have a decent/workable Warrior sPVP build? Trying to get all my 5 ranked wins cheevs done.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

It is a high level overview, a statement of objectives. Actually there were no objectives even, but you get the idea.

Based on what I could glean the overall theme of the objectives was "we want players to be working with each other as much as possible, and to achieve this end we're going to make everyone just vulnerable enough in key ways that they'll need another class to help them." I really hope the Dragonhunter nerfs aren't too severe.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Glad i held of on gearing my rev for raids.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're not touching druid? Their glyphs are pretty lackluster.

And shout buff? Man I feel most of the base ranger skills need a good change, most of them are just complete garbage and the one that aren't are so good you shouldn't take anything else.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm hoping when they change quickness/slow not affecting stomps, it will also fix the bug where you can stomp someone but it just doesn't seem to do anything, which seems to happen a good 50% of the time for me lately.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Ranger shortbow buff please.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Alteisen posted:

They're not touching druid? Their glyphs are pretty lackluster.

And shout buff? Man I feel most of the base ranger skills need a good change, most of them are just complete garbage and the one that aren't are so good you shouldn't take anything else.

Well remember these quarterly balance patches are meant to be big deals and to, in their own words, "shake up the meta". I'm sure some tweaks to the utility of shouts will really change the druid's place in the game, much like making thief sword and dagger AA do more damage will make daredevil be able to take down those chronomancers that will negate 70% of their attacks.

That is unless they are for some reason withholding a lot of plans for change that will actually change up the game and balance things.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thinking of getting back into this game... is the new expansion worth it? Is the game still any good? Haven't played for years.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thinking of getting back into this game... is the new expansion worth it? Is the game still any good? Haven't played for years.

It's worth getting on sale, not really worth 50-60 imo. The new content is basically a few new zones with large meta events; no new dungeons, no new fractals. There's also the raid if you're into that. The story is still bad, but looks amazing when compared to the rest of gw2's so ymmv. The new class is pretty great.

All that said, you'll want it if you plan to spend any amount of time in fractals, since HoT unlocks the masteries (basically tracks that you level) necessary to access the shop you'll eventually need. And since dungeons don't give gold anymore, that's basically all there is to do in vanilla gw2.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A class being stealthed 95% of the time actually sounds kind of cool and interesting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

A class being stealthed 95% of the time actually sounds kind of cool and interesting.

That was Mesmer awhile ago, and no, it wasn't, trust me.

You had about a 3 second window every minute where you could see the mesmer, didn't find him? he will portal his friends in.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Well remember these quarterly balance patches are meant to be big deals and to, in their own words, "shake up the meta". I'm sure some tweaks to the utility of shouts will really change the druid's place in the game, much like making thief sword and dagger AA do more damage will make daredevil be able to take down those chronomancers that will negate 70% of their attacks.

That is unless they are for some reason withholding a lot of plans for change that will actually change up the game and balance things.

I can't think of how.

Rangers have 4 defensive shouts and 2 offensive ones, Sic em already got buffed and strength of the pack already got altered, I just can't think of any significant they can do to shouts that will fundamentally alter things or make me take me over signets or the stun glyph with the build I'm rolling now or hell any offensive or defensive build, all the defensive shouts are purely situational.

My main problem with druid is that its rigid in its role, revenants can heal and dps, chronos can buff like motherfuckers, eles can buff and heal like crazy, druids are just heal bots, that's all we do, cast circles on the floor to make blue numbers pop up and the staff DPS is atrocious.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Alteisen posted:

I can't think of how.

Rangers have 4 defensive shouts and 2 offensive ones, Sic em already got buffed and strength of the pack already got altered, I just can't think of any significant they can do to shouts that will fundamentally alter things or make me take me over signets or the stun glyph with the build I'm rolling now or hell any offensive or defensive build, all the defensive shouts are purely situational.

My main problem with druid is that its rigid in its role, revenants can heal and dps, chronos can buff like motherfuckers, eles can buff and heal like crazy, druids are just heal bots, that's all we do, cast circles on the floor to make blue numbers pop up and the staff DPS is atrocious.

My best guess is they'll change the shout trait to make it so they also do a small heal in addition to the swiftness and regen, or something else similarly small and low effort.

Druids have pretty good area CC capabilities, but with there being a 10 second cooldown on entering lifeshroud and a penalty for turning it off before you're out of star magic I can't imagine why you also have to have the gauge full before you can enter lifeshroud. That's my issue.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I thought it was worth it just because of the elite specializations and raiding. The masteries are pretty grindy and will take some time, and they are a pretty big part of being able to actually do anything. The "difficulty" of the content is also a lot different than the vanilla game. Most of the stuff in the vanilla open world doesn't really do anything, but there are a lot of clever new mobs like Rolling Devils and Pocket Raptors that may be a surprise if you are just coming back. The core game is still about the same, aside from dungeons not really offering any rewards and Fractals being completely reworked, but Fractals do sort of require the expansion if you want to get any rewards out of them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Ultimately yes with reservations. As has been said if you can get the Xpac for $30 USD or below, then it's definitely worth it. If you're paying full price and aren't sure... well do some more research and see if what you read about appeals to you.

The Good:

* Most of the Elites really do invigorate the classes and shake up the meta.
* The new zones/events are actually pretty fun if you like map-wide meta events. There are legitimate complaints about map events but overall I like them. The new zones also do a very good job at communicating the feel of a dangerous jungle that you and all the other heroes are intruding on, where one wrong turn will land you neck-deep in weird wild creatures biting your face off.
* The story is still pretty bad but it's told a lot better than the base game.
* Masteries are really really really grindy but will give you a sense of progression past 80 if you're not into the Ascended/Legendary/Fractal treadmill.
* Some of the completed Masteries like Gliding, permanent auto-loot, and so on really help streamline game content in a good way.
* The Raid is evidently good if you're into it, but you'll need Ascended gear and well, have to learn to raid.
* Guild Halls are really loving pretty.
* The quests you can do to craft Legendaries are fun.
* Revenant is a great new class that has awesome versatility in playstyle and slots in nicely with the base game.

The Bad:

* PvP is kind-of a mess right now. The best builds seem to be bunker builds which are no fun to play and less fun to play against.
* WvWvW is a total loving mess right now. Anet is promising a big overhaul soon, so here's to cautious optimism?
* Guild Halls are a goddamn gigantic sink for materials if you want upgrades, which you will. It works for awesome large guilds like SFD and GOON but you and your close-knit 5-man guild are essentially buying a mansion so you can sleep in its empty rooms on the floor.
* Actually crafting the Pre-Pre-Precursor, Pre-Precursor, and Precursor Legendary weapons are loving ludicrous material sinks. To the point where it completely neutralizes how fun the quests to unlock the recipes are.
* The new zones are a pain in the rear end to navigate until you get a certain number of Masteries to make mobility easier and spend a lot of time in them learning all the literal layers of geography. There also isn't much in them resembling vanilla GW2's appeal, which creates a certain level of dissonance.
* Mastery Points are a serious pain to earn, especially in the Vanilla parts of the game. I've been sitting on 3 full XP bars for a week now because I can't be arsed to jump through all the hoops necessary to activate them and progress.
* Some of the Elites--namely Thief--really suck and the objectives overview released today for the next big patch aren't filling anyone with confidence that they'll be fixed soon. If anything it's looking like the Elites people really like--Mesmer, Guardian--are going to get nerfed.
* ArenaNet keeps selling outfits through the Gem Store because actually adding new armor pieces to the game that can slot with all the existing armor is hard as gently caress and people pay out the nose in real world money for the outfits so :effort:. There's definitely an upper limit to pretty princessing now unless you just like swapping your battle barbie's clothes in big chunks instead of customizing your own outfit.
* Dungeon and Fractal rewards got nerfed to essentially encourage players to gravitate to the new content.

-------------------

So yeah there's a lot of legitimately good and legitimately bad here. Your mileage is going to vary, but ultimately only you can decide if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I'll bitch but ultimately I still love this game, so ANet still has a lot more loving up to do before I check out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
One of ANet's official partners (DLGamer) sells digital copies of HoT for about thirty five bucks. I'd say it's definitely worth it at that price

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just gonna drop this here.

should be "what a savings" if you're going to properly reference that glorious film.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Trebuchet King posted:

should be "what a savings" if you're going to properly reference that glorious film.

Somebody didn't spend enough time in LA

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Somebody didn't spend enough time in LA

oh right, i forgot about that guy. my point still stands, then, just directed at anet instead. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
You all deserve this.

• Locked thread