Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also see if she needs a printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

Interesting conundrum. Have you considered Codenames?

I had a look but I don't think that's really what I'm after. I'd like to stick to the two. I want it to be a little more elaborate than, say, just like for every point in crib you play a word in scrabble. I'm only a 'beginner' crib player so I don't know a great deal about it. Maybe I'll just make the board as a multipurpose but I'd like to be creative.

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Just get Patchwork or Pandemic and abandon this terrible idea.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played Eclipse for the first time tonight :toot:

After round three. (I'm red.)

I learned the entire game plus the Rise of the Ancients in one sitting last night, and if there is one thing I can say about it, it is that the game had one of the best documented and elegant flow of play I have seen in a game. Seriously look all those pieces, if this was a FF game there would've been 2 separate 40 page rule books. Teaching it was a breeze as well. Between setup, teaching a complete newbie, the whole thing only took 2 hours. We did have a rather low conflict game though.

End Game (I over expanded and lost horribly)

Overall I enjoyed this game. It reminded me of Terra Mystica/Hansa Teutonica but with actual open conflict rather than the normal Euro passive blocking. Then you toss in how smooth the whole game is (combat maybe not so much, but I didn't hate it), I will definitely will play this one again.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

what the gently caress posted:

There's a girl I want to impress and she really likes Cribbage and really likes Scrabble. I want to make her a board of the two meshed together and call it "Scribble" but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a way I could combine the two games together. Any ideas?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1449/kings-cribbage

It's not that bad. I played a couple games of it a decade or so ago, wasn't bad.

Edit: Though for whatever reason, the bottom corner of the board has "King's Cribbage" on it, and it's implied you can't place tiles there. I disagree :colbert:

The General fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 11, 2016

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

what the gently caress posted:

There's a girl I want to impress and she really likes Cribbage and really likes Scrabble. I want to make her a board of the two meshed together and call it "Scribble" but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a way I could combine the two games together. Any ideas?

A couple of games about word building you could buy/ get ideas from (just buy one!):

There's a game called Paperback, which uses cards with letters on them to form a trick making game via customizing each players' personal decks during the game; might hit a lot of the same notes that you're looking for.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/141572/paperback

Alternatively, anagrams is a reactive game about building words using letters that belong to other players, stealing their points in the process. I played it with my family over Christmas and the scrabble players adored it. My Gran wrecked everyone.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8981/anagram

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 11, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

The General posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1449/kings-cribbage

It's not that bad. I played a couple games of it a decade or so ago, wasn't bad.

Edit: Though for whatever reason, the bottom corner of the board has "King's Cribbage" on it, and it's implied you can't place tiles there. I disagree :colbert:

Hey thanks! I'll look into that.

The Supreme Court posted:

A couple of games about word building you could buy/ get ideas from (just buy one!):

There's a game called Paperback, which uses cards with letters on them to form a trick making game via customizing each players' personal decks during the game; might hit a lot of the same notes that you're looking for.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/141572/paperback

Alternatively, anagrams is a reactive game about building words using letters that belong to other players, stealing their points in the process. I played it with my family over Christmas and the scrabble players adored it. My Gran wrecked everyone.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8981/anagram

I'll look into both of these too. I'm stuck on a ship for the next 10 weeks so making it will give me something to do, was going to make a nice folding one out of wood and varnish, and handmade poo poo is romantic as gently caress. More I've been thinking about it I don't think I can mesh the two games together very well so I'll just make a dual use board. Anagrams sounds like a really fun game... cheers

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
unless you are already dating this person or have a standing history of elaborate presents between you maybe dont give them a custom handmade wooden board lovingly shaped on lonely nights at sea just out of the blue

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
hahaha gently caress. chivalry is dead!

Nah all good. I've known her a really long time. It will go down fine.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Finally got into a game of Codenames last night. Had a terrible spymaster. After the guy who brought the game said it's not a good idea to use 0 hints to hint at the assasin, he gives the clue of sister 0 with grace on the board (grace was his wife's sister) and he thought he was being all sneaky but everybody with half a brain could tell that grace was the only sister word on the board. Then he did animal 4 when 2 of the animals were agents and the other 2 were neutral, because he thought a neutral didn't end the turn. And then after a kerfuffle about a proper noun, he used "corner lot" (Corner Lot?) 2 to indicate the two corners of the board. No idea what kind of proper noun corner lot is (does he understand what proper noun means), why he didn't just say "corner" and then obviously the thing where the position of the cards isn't something you can hint at.

I am guessing he didn't just say "corner"' because he thinks he is being a subtle puppetmaster. If he can't spymaster properly he shouldn't spymaster at all :v:

I haven't actually had a good session of Codenames yet. Now that we've gotten the hang of the rules it feels like every game gets bogged down with rules arguments (is "blog" a valid clue for "web" and "log", etc) or people looking for ways to game the system (and starting a rules argument). I still kind of like the game so I'm hoping things will chill out after a few more plays.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ettin posted:

I am guessing he didn't just say "corner"' because he thinks he is being a subtle puppetmaster. If he can't spymaster properly he shouldn't spymaster at all :v:

I haven't actually had a good session of Codenames yet. Now that we've gotten the hang of the rules it feels like every game gets bogged down with rules arguments (is "blog" a valid clue for "web" and "log", etc) or people looking for ways to game the system (and starting a rules argument). I still kind of like the game so I'm hoping things will chill out after a few more plays.

Blog isn't a valid clue in that context because it contains words on the table.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jedit posted:

Blog isn't a valid clue in that context because it contains words on the table.

I was wondering about the extent of that rule. Blog is obviously out because it's just short for web log. Just use Myspace 2 instead... unless Space is on the board! Then use Tumblr... unless the assassin is Roll!

But would I be able to use clues like logic or flog to clue other unrelated words? (E.g. Flog 2 to clue for Whip and Sale) It seems to me that should be OK, mainly because I probably wouldn't even notice or consider that log was contained in it.

Edit to ask: what about abbreviations that don't contain the word in full anymore? Using Blog to clue Web if Log isn't on the board, or using Bosun to clue Boat?

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 11, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Durendal posted:

Overall I enjoyed this game. It reminded me of Terra Mystica/Hansa Teutonica but with actual open conflict rather than the normal Euro passive blocking. Then you toss in how smooth the whole game is (combat maybe not so much, but I didn't hate it), I will definitely will play this one again.

The combat is the reason I may never get it to the table again with my regular group. One guy had terrible luck with his rolls in the last game, with nothing he could do but watch his technologically- and materielly-superior ships blow up again and again.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Dropping the "we-" off of "web-log" to form "blog" is such an extremely unusual instance of word formation that I'd find it acceptable to say it's OK according to house rules. But you clearly can't say "blog" for "log", people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Remember, the best way to resolve a rules dispute is for a spymaster to ask the other spymaster quietly, and they'll give the goahead if you're not being stupid as gently caress.

That's in the rules.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

I was wondering about the extent of that rule. Blog is obviously out because it's just short for web log. Just use Myspace 2 instead... unless Space is on the board! Then use Tumblr... unless the assassin is Roll!

But would I be able to use clues like logic or flog to clue other unrelated words? (E.g. Flog 2 to clue for Whip and Sale) It seems to me that should be OK, mainly because I probably wouldn't even notice or consider that log was contained in it.

We started to spiral into this way of thinking, but if you go back and check the rules (as I just did to clarify for my own sanity) it's actually very clear. A word being on the board doesn't stop you from saying another word that includes the same letters in sequence. It's just compound words you have to avoid. So you can say "flog" as a word if "log" is on the table.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Single Tight Female posted:

We started to spiral into this way of thinking, but if you go back and check the rules (as I just did to clarify for my own sanity) it's actually very clear. A word being on the board doesn't stop you from saying another word that includes the same letters in sequence. It's just compound words you have to avoid. So you can say "flog" as a word if "log" is on the table.

According to that, would logarithm be allowed to clue log? My gut feeling says that oughtn't be allowed.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Jimbozig posted:

According to that, would logarithm be allowed to clue log? My gut feeling says that oughtn't be allowed.

Log is a standard abbreviation for logarithm. That would fall under "same word" clause.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Just finished up my first furniture project ever - a dining room table with a hidden game table underneath. Pretty proud of it for my first!

That's awesome, congratulations!

Ayn Randi posted:

"Promo deck 1"

"Promo deck 2"

These cards look so cool. I know nothing about the game but it looks good.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Yes, you can say it, but not to clue "log", because that would be rhyming.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How's the Midnight Circle expansion for Tragedy Looper? I remember someone (Gutter Owl?) saying that it had only 1 player aid instead of 4 and about half the Scripts of the Japanese version or something silly like that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ayn Randi posted:

Space race track:

The cards came as two separate packets, not sure if they're meant to be combined? Theres a sheet with the regular historical explanation of the cards but nothing ruleswise as to how they're to be used that I can see.. not sure of the math, would 3 early/3 or 4 mid war cards change the reshuffle turns? Stanislav Petrov is a 3 ops neutral event if it's difficult to read there, apologies for my hasty scan/snipping

"Promo deck 1"

"Promo deck 2"

Where the hell is South Amaerica?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Fat Samurai posted:

How's the Midnight Circle expansion for Tragedy Looper? I remember someone (Gutter Owl?) saying that it had only 1 player aid instead of 4 and about half the Scripts of the Japanese version or something silly like that.

Nothing quite that silly. The player aid sheets in the first printing just have some bad translation and missing info. You can download and print a revised version here.

Also, it doesn't explicitly state this on the summary sheet, but all scenarios using the Mystery Circle Tragedy Set have a universal special rule, listed on page 10 of the Player's Handbook: "Whenever an incident occurs, increase the Extra Gauge by one. Reset the gauge to zero between loops."

EDIT: Oh, Midnight Circle does also have fewer prewritten scripts than the original Japanese Midnight Zone/Mystery Circle expansions, but these scenarios were removed at the designer's request. He no longer felt these old scenarios measured up to his personal standards.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 11, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks. I'll probably pick it up next time I buy something, I'm not creative enough to make my own fun.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

SuperKlaus posted:

Where the hell is South Amaerica?

Ugh, this pisses me off to no end. Board game publishers have no quality control.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Mortley posted:

Yes, you can say it, but not to clue "log", because that would be rhyming.

Yeah I was specifically referring to the case of "But would I be able to use clues like logic or flog to clue other unrelated words?"

I think the rules in Codenames are very straightforward and logical, but it's still easy to fall into a bit of a rabbit hole in terms of what is and isn't allowed. It really helps for a group to set defined boundaries early on. Someone in our group wanted to give a book name that was like 6 words long, and that seems a bit much.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Yeah I was specifically referring to the case of "But would I be able to use clues like logic or flog to clue other unrelated words?"

I think the rules in Codenames are very straightforward and logical, but it's still easy to fall into a bit of a rabbit hole in terms of what is and isn't allowed. It really helps for a group to set defined boundaries early on. Someone in our group wanted to give a book name that was like 6 words long, and that seems a bit much.

Yeah, my group refuses to allow the proper names rule. So we're limited to one word clues. We also won't use any clue that contains any part of a word on the board. So blog would not be allowed if log was an active word on the board. Using an abbreviation of a word on the board is also not allowed. Actually they are wary of using acronyms as well. But in any case, if the other spymaster agrees, you can use any word you wish. It's a quick, group game. Don't get too bogged down in the rules. Hell, I've suggested words to the other spymaster before when they were taking too long. Losing doesn't bother me as much as a game that takes 2hrs+ to complete.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Fat Turkey posted:

I kinda get it with that last example though. While I don't quite get how someone can just outright not want to play the bad guy in a themed game when it's just passing or failing a mission with no details in, the swearing question is a bit off.

I don't have kids but I can imagine the discomfort of having to say something like that, even if this is just a game. It's like morally being told to bet £100 you aren't a werewolf when you are but know you will be held to it.

Yeah, we all agreed that asking people to swear on their kid's life is going too far. We've had some real shouty, emotional games of werewolves. Once our narrator had to bang the table and declare the game over so some hotheads would stop yelling.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

QnoisX posted:

Yeah, my group refuses to allow the proper names rule. So we're limited to one word clues. We also won't use any clue that contains any part of a word on the board. So blog would not be allowed if log was an active word on the board. Using an abbreviation of a word on the board is also not allowed. Actually they are wary of using acronyms as well. But in any case, if the other spymaster agrees, you can use any word you wish. It's a quick, group game. Don't get too bogged down in the rules. Hell, I've suggested words to the other spymaster before when they were taking too long. Losing doesn't bother me as much as a game that takes 2hrs+ to complete.

I think some of the rules - that you can't use a compound word that contains a word on the board, and you can't use a derivative of a word on the board (BROKEN when BREAK is on the board, for example) - are good and clear, but the objection to homonyms seems like a poor choice. You can't interrogate the spymaster who gave the clue anyway and so you don't know if the team guessed what the spymaster wanted them to or just went on an unexpected path. Either way, clever use of words should be encouraged.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Um, anyone in for a Codenames thread? Just askin'

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lorini posted:

I could go for a game. Sign me up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just finished playing through January of Pandemic Legacy for the first time. Failed both attempts, but came really, really close on the second game. (We were 2 turns from winning)

Holy crap that game pulls no punches. So much fun though, February is only going to be even crazier.
We just finished January yesterday too. Lost the first game (gently caress, we were NOT prepared for the supervirus and had two chain outbreaks in Africa almost immediately), won the second easily.

I'm a little worried about future months though, because that first session kind of wrecked our board. We have a bunch of Unstable cities, and already have a couple of level-2 Rioting cities in Africa.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Lorini posted:

Oh, absolutely.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lorini posted:

Do you mean a discussion thread or a PBP?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fat Samurai posted:

That was me. It has three player aids instead of four, but that doesn't even matter because the player aids are so riddled with errors that they're useless. The new tragedy sets have a total of 9 scripts; the Japanese expansions this was based on had 6 and 10 respectively. Apparently these were removed at the designer's request, but considering that the English expansion costs about three times as much as a Japanese expansion, it's hard between the cut scripts and the broken player aids to see what you're actually paying for.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Broken Loose posted:

Do you mean a discussion thread or a PBP?

Discussion sorry to be vague. Hate word games myself :)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's gonna be like those two insufferable pages of people posting bad and/or unremarkable clues and shittalking their friends for not getting them.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Lichtenstein posted:

It's gonna be like those two insufferable pages of people posting bad and/or unremarkable clues and shittalking their friends for not getting them.

Pretty sure that's the point Lorini's getting at: Quarantining the inane chatter somewhere it doesn't clog up the rest of the discussions.

Like, I love the game, Vlaada is my lord and savior, et cetera. But jesus gently caress dudes, this is turning into the board game equivalent of "Let me tell you about my awesome D&D character!" :colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I feel like I need to make my collection up-to-date. Should I look into Fury of Dracula? Wasn't it supposed to be bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Broken Loose posted:

I feel like I need to make my collection up-to-date. Should I look into Fury of Dracula? Wasn't it supposed to be bad?

Good game, but very poor and incomplete rules. I've enjoyed it a lot every time I've played it, but never managed to see Dracula win, and it's slightly obsessing me to make that happen, much more so than the rest of my group - but that's not a common feeling, it's much more common for people to feel that Drac is too powerful. I'd recommend it either way, but don't bother with the teaching game, all it does is hamper Drac to the point where it's not actually fun to play him.