Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MrSmokes posted:

I would just get a small house that was really really nice if I won the powerball. I never understood why you would want to live in a mansion. Like, I'd have a small house built with three bedrooms tops, but made out of the absolute best materials possible and filled with amazingly good furniture, a beast gaming PC, great TV/computer monitor etc. I'd have Google Fiber and poo poo like that too. This probably wouldn't even cost me a few million.

Honestly I'd probably end up giving away a ton of the money to charities and stuff. I wouldn't know what to do with it after buying everything that would make me happy using less than ten million.

I feel similarly in terms of what I'd want for my own life, but if you won then presumably you could devote much more of your time to entertaining, which a larger house would be useful for. Also you have to consider things like security- winning a regular Powerball is one thing but winning this Powerball is going to make anyone's life much more complicated. Like if I won a state lottery jackpot and suddenly had $10 million dollars I don't expect my relationships with my extended family would actually change all that much beyond me picking up the bill for things when I visited them (which I'd be able to do far more often). I'm sure I'd have people hitting me up for money and some annoying interactions, but it's a level of rich where, despite not needing to work ever again and having the option to do whatever you want, your day to day existence is still more or less in the same realm as "normal" people from a middle class+ background. That's not really the case when you have $1 billion dollars and other people know it. Suddenly it's much less of an issue of "how much do I like and trust my cousin?" and much more of an issue of "how much do I like and trust everyone my cousin knows?" That second question is much harder to answer than the first.

Plus at the $10m level you've still got to exercise reasonable levels of fiscal restraint and budget for your family's long term financial security. It's pretty easy and you've got the freedom to do a lot in terms of charitable giving, but if you're concerned with your own ongoing well-being there are real limits to what you can do for other people. On the other hand, while prudent management is obviously still hugely important, at the $1bn in liquid assets level you're so very far past what you'd need to maintain a comfortable existence indefinitely that it seems like it'd become all about the differences you can make for other people on a national/local/personal level (depending on your priorities). And there'd be no shortage of people coming out of the woodwork who'd be quite happy to tell you what those priorities should be (or how their pet project already aligns perfectly with your own), to the point that I imagine you'd need to expend significant resources keeping them away from you.

I'd love to have the problems that come with winning a billion dollars, but I can easily see it completely ruining my life in ways that lesser amounts of money couldn't hope to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LGD posted:

I feel similarly in terms of what I'd want for my own life, but if you won then presumably you could devote much more of your time to entertaining, which a larger house would be useful for. Also you have to consider things like security- winning a regular Powerball is one thing but winning this Powerball is going to make anyone's life much more complicated. Like if I won a state lottery jackpot and suddenly had $10 million dollars I don't expect my relationships with my extended family would actually change all that much beyond me picking up the bill for things when I visited them (which I'd be able to do far more often). I'm sure I'd have people hitting me up for money and some annoying interactions, but it's a level of rich where, despite not needing to work ever again and having the option to do whatever you want, your day to day existence is still more or less in the same realm as "normal" people from a middle class+ background. That's not really the case when you have $1 billion dollars and other people know it. Suddenly it's much less of an issue of "how much do I like and trust my cousin?" and much more of an issue of "how much do I like and trust everyone my cousin knows?" That second question is much harder to answer than the first.

Plus at the $10m level you've still got to exercise reasonable levels of fiscal restraint and budget for your family's long term financial security. It's pretty easy and you've got the freedom to do a lot in terms of charitable giving, but if you're concerned with your own ongoing well-being there are real limits to what you can do for other people. On the other hand, while prudent management is obviously still hugely important, at the $1bn in liquid assets level you're so very far past what you'd need to maintain a comfortable existence indefinitely that it seems like it'd become all about the differences you can make for other people on a national/local/personal level (depending on your priorities). And there'd be no shortage of people coming out of the woodwork who'd be quite happy to tell you what those priorities should be (or how their pet project already aligns perfectly with your own), to the point that I imagine you'd need to expend significant resources keeping them away from you.

I'd love to have the problems that come with winning a billion dollars, but I can easily see it completely ruining my life in ways that lesser amounts of money couldn't hope to.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How much is an NFL franchise?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
If yoU spend your billion dollars to time travel to the 1970s you can buy the Yankees for 10 million.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

julian assflange posted:

977 Mill for the Browns.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

julian assflange posted:

Most of them are probably in the billion dollar range now.

I'm gonna attempt a coup on the Cowboys and finally unseat jerry jones and all cowboy fans will rejoice as I am their savior!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

They've shot up a lot recently as well but you should be able to swing an NBA team if that's your thing. You could potentially be the hero/monster that relocates a team to resurrect the Sonics. I think an NBA team would be the better buy anyway- the culture seems more fun, you've got far less concussion-related risk to the value of your franchise going forward*, and it's a league that continues to grow its appeal internationally.

*not that I anticipate anything happening to our national gladiatorial bloodsport anytime soon, but in a decade or two who knows?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
based on my calculations I can probably afford something like the Space X program so that's probably what I'll do

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LGD posted:

They've shot up a lot recently as well but you should be able to swing an NBA team if that's your thing. You could potentially be the hero/monster that relocates a team to resurrect the Sonics. I think an NBA team would be the better buy anyway- the culture seems more fun, you've got far less concussion-related risk to the value of your franchise going forward*, and it's a league that continues to grow its appeal internationally.

*not that I anticipate anything happening to our national gladiatorial bloodsport anytime soon, but in a decade or two who knows?

Maybe go soccer club. It's popularity can only go up in the states :haw:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

how much does it cost to die? asking for a friend

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'd start stockpiling weapons and ammunition, only to publicly destroy them when Obummers successful gun grab starts a panic in the market.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BossRighteous posted:

I'd start stockpiling weapons and ammunition, only to publicly destroy them when Obummers successful gun grab starts a panic in the market.

I've always thought it would be pretty cool if some billionaires got together and started buying up gun companies and putting them out of business.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

how does the lottery generate random numbers for people's tickets? computers are bad at random numbers, so what do they do???

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Inept posted:

how does the lottery generate random numbers for people's tickets? computers are bad at random numbers, so what do they do???

Algorithms can't generate random numbers, but you can sample all types of truly random noise with specialized hardware. I think some CPUs even have built in hardware. For the lottery though I assume they still use those machines with numbered balls.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Germstore posted:

Algorithms can't generate random numbers, but you can sample all types of truly random noise with specialized hardware. I think some CPUs even have built in hardware. For the lottery though I assume they still use those machines with numbered balls.

no not the balls, the tickets people get at stores. I'm wondering since computers are so bad at random numbers if like 15 people could have the same exact ticket that ends up winning or something stupid. probably not since I've never heard of it but eh

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Inept posted:

no not the balls, the tickets people get at stores. I'm wondering since computers are so bad at random numbers if like 15 people could have the same exact ticket that ends up winning or something stupid
That has happened a couple times actually. So... yes?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Inept posted:

no not the balls, the tickets people get at stores. I'm wondering since computers are so bad at random numbers if like 15 people could have the same exact ticket that ends up winning or something stupid. probably not since I've never heard of it but eh

Sorry, probably specialized hardware. The first search result I found said, "computers are particularly good at picking random numbers," so I hit the back button to find something written by a non-idiot.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I bought some tickets, if I win I'll help my friends and donate money to horseshoe crabs :downs:

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
I plan on generously giving my destitute friends and family bootstraps with my winnings, so they can pull themselves up and achieve the American dream.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I will charter a 747 to Hawaii and offer any homeless people in my neighborhood a free one way ticket to paradise.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Hide your identity by picking up your winnings in a burka and say you will be donating all but $10M to Al Jazeera, "Allahu Akbar" and you are out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I still think I'd like to try five chicks at the same time.

I mean, I have other things as well, but I just keep coming back to this one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd have my dream wedding in Bora Bora. I figure the "finding a spouse" part will come naturally.

Handsome Carl
Sep 6, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Why stop at five? People will smell the new money on you unless you're in danger of losing count.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I will charter a 747 to Hawaii and offer any homeless people in my neighborhood a free one way ticket to paradise.

plane gets shot down by isis

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Handsome Carl posted:

Why stop at five? People will smell the new money on you unless you're in danger of losing count.

Well, I'm getting up there in years and I have a trick knee. I think five will.... Yah five will do.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

how do you envision this working

let's see, one chick sits on your face, one on your dick, ok, you can work a pussy with each hand, one chick pegs you with a giant dildo

ok i don't know why i doubted you, this sounds great and i'm updating my bucket list as we speak

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Spent $4,328 on Saturday's powerball. Anyone got some spare change?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Is have a revolving door of chubby girls coming in for sex in exchange for new cars. Volkswagen convertibles.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MiracleWhale posted:

plane gets shot down by isis

I think this would still be a win for Three Olives

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

I bought some tickets, if I win I'll help my friends and donate money to horseshoe crabs :downs:

There's a horseshoe crab charity?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The jackpot is up to 1.4 B, BTW. somebody change the title

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

There's a horseshoe crab charity?

Horseshoe Crab Conservation Fund and I already donate but I could donate more if I won

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"A pizza franchise that Bartlett bought with the sole purpose of ensuring that he could get delivery to his rural home has beaten the odds and is about to celebrate its second anniversary."

Schroeder91 posted:

Really though I'd get something like this to live in:

That TV is tiny and has tiny speakers! That's a TV a billionaire gives to his/her cat.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Serious discussion time. What would be the socioeconomic impact be if the winner were to give every US citizen one million dollars?

Extreme inflation. Massive immigration of cheap labor to do all the jobs no one wants.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Serious discussion time. What would be the socioeconomic impact be if the winner were to give every US citizen one million dollars?

You mean if the prize were 1.4 quadrillion dollars?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

what if the prize were the satisfaction of a job well done

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lets just say it would be a "plowerball" of a good time OP, plus the quote form that guy in the movie about two chicks at the same time

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
in order for the jackpot to be big enough to pay every american one million dollars the average american would have to contribute about two million dollars so the economy would end up just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I think I will buy something that some people really, really love like a comic book store and liquidate it's assets.

• Locked thread