Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Serperoth posted:

You don't even need to NAME something. I can say "That blue planeswalker with the 4 activated abilities", and that'd be JTMS. If there's doubt, call a Judge, and clarify it. The problem isn't that he named something that wasn't Borborygmos Enraged. The problem was that he named the one card that was unambiguously the WRONG card. I posted earlier in the thread a list of things he could've named that would have counted. It isn't "Ha, gotcha, I was bluffing all along", it was a misplay by someone at the top 8 of a Modern tournament. Hell, he could have named (as he asked later) "Borborygmos, the one in your deck", and it'd have been clear (mostly).

Right, that's what I'm saying. In almost every case, throwing out anything even vaguely describing the card in question is good enough. If Borborygmos Enraged was the only card depicting that character, just saying half of his name would have been more than sufficient. The fact that there was another version of the card with an overlapping name was a fluke chance, and I don't feel like asking players to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every card every printed to be safe from similar situations is a reasonable burden of knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Serperoth posted:

I posted earlier in the thread a list of things he could've named that would have counted.

Ya well you should have added "naming borborygmos against a goryos deck" cause it's incredibly obvious what card the dude was naming.

This is loving absurd. If I was playing the goryos deck and the dude named borborygmos id be like ok gothcha

Like be a normal nice human gently caress

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

uggy posted:

Ya well you should have added "naming borborygmos against a goryos deck" cause it's incredibly obvious what card the dude was naming.

This is loving absurd. If I was playing the goryos deck and the dude named borborygmos id be like ok gothcha

Like be a normal nice human gently caress

Congrats on not being a shitbag professional magic player.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

I can only think of one other case where it would matter (Nicol Bolas vs Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker) and it would be equally obvious there which one was actually meant.

There's also Urborg vs Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. It's not in Modern and it doesn't affect Pithing Needle, though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The edge case here seems to be cards whose full names are contained entirely within the partial names of other cards. You couldn't make the same mistake by saying 'Jace' or something because that's not the full name of any card; in situations where it mattered, you would simply have to clarify specifically which card you were referring to. There should probably be an addendum to the rules to cover any ambiguity that arises from a situation like this, deliberate or otherwise.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
If you're playing on modo and your opponent needles naming borborygmos do you kill them with borborygmos enraged? Do you assume your opponent meant borborygmos enraged?

I mean at the end of the day the judge said it was a mistake. If wotc goes and says that needle works differently in the future then so be it v:shobon:v.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think taking advantage of the rules in a competitive, high stakes environment makes you a scumbag. However, I agree that the rules could be improved when it comes to abbreviating a card's name. There have been a lot of instances throughout Magic where players try to use shortcuts of various sorts and get punished for doing it wrong, but the rules have mostly moved in the direction of not punishing people for understandable miscommunications. I think that is a good trend and this is another instance where it could be applied.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hey buddy, its within the rules. I have the right to pretend that I believed my opponent was pithing the card nobody plays. Just win baby. :boom:

Sarcasm aside, I keep reading people bring up the argument that they don't want discretion in this kind of call because they want judging to be consistent. I feel like if magic wasn't full of subjective rules already this would hold more weight.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zoness posted:

If you're playing on modo and your opponent needles naming borborygmos do you kill them with borborygmos enraged? Do you assume your opponent meant borborygmos enraged?

I mean at the end of the day the judge said it was a mistake. If wotc goes and says that needle works differently in the future then so be it v:shobon:v.

If it happens on Modo they have to pick form a drop-down menu that would make them aware of the existence of another card with Borborygmos in its name and prevent this sort of ambiguity from happening in the first place. They could even tab out and look up the card if they were unsure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminds me of the time I activated Cursed Scroll naming Liliana, and randomly revealed Liliana of the Veil from my hand. My opponent said I hadn't uniquely identified which Liliana I meant. The judge was sitting nearby and told him to gently caress off. Of course, that's regular REL with a store full of people who know each other. I honestly think Borborygmosgate was handled properly because of the stakes involved, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think Borborygmos is literally the only character with two Modern-legal cards one of which is just his first name.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

I can't believe anyone thinks that about potus or potus' posting.

We make 9-11 jokes on 9-12 here so maybe find a different place to clutch your bowie pearls if you want hugs? I still think you're swell though.

Try not to get too offended over there, friend.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Reminds me of the time I activated Cursed Scroll naming Liliana, and randomly revealed Liliana of the Veil from my hand. My opponent said I hadn't uniquely identified which Liliana I meant. The judge was sitting nearby and told him to gently caress off. Of course, that's regular REL with a store full of people who know each other. I honestly think Borborygmosgate was handled properly because of the stakes involved, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think Borborygmos is literally the only character with two Modern-legal cards one of which is just his first name.

The solution really is to ban the poo poo one so it never happens again

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
TFK could be meddled as thirst, which is a card. thus far those are the only two pairs of cards that you could reasonably shorthand into the name of another card

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Clearly it was the quarterback's intention to throw the ball to his teammate. Everyone on both teams knew it too, so intercepting the ball and running the other way with it is such a scumbag move.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

Clearly it was the quarterback's intention to throw the ball to his teammate. Everyone on both teams knew it too, so intercepting the ball and running the other way with it is such a scumbag move.

This might be the dumbest comparison I've ever read.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

If I am playing on modo my opponent is f6'd while I use Words of Wind

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

little munchkin posted:

what

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

little munchkin posted:

:rolleyes:

Really?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

little munchkin posted:

this is super dumb man

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

little munchkin posted:

if you're still trying that hard to come up with a reason to WIN AT ALL COSTS that you gotta come up with this, I think you've lost both battles.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

mcmagic posted:

This might be the dumbest comparison I've ever read.

Congrats on getting owned by mcmagic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

On MODO you start typing "borb" and see that there're two Bobos next to each other in the drop down list.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 11, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chamale posted:

Nicol Bolas was timeshifted.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

little munchkin posted:

Pithing Needle rules lawyering is more like the wrong ball trick*, except when that gambit goes wrong you have the satisfaction of watching the quarterback get tackled by a linebacker twice his size.

*Quarterback starts calmly walking off the field with the ball, hoping the defense won't realize that play is live, then runs for the end zone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One time on MODO while playing Momir I hit Adaptive Automotan on 3 and randomly hit a key, got Y, picked Yeti from the drop down, then hit a Mountain Yeti on 4.

Play well, get rewarded.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it was a joke, sorry y'all

i still think getting a bunch of cash put into your hand is a more important priority than your opponent's feelbads though

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

One time on MODO while playing Momir I hit Adaptive Automotan on 3 and randomly hit a key, got Y, picked Yeti from the drop down, then hit a Mountain Yeti on 4.

Play well, get rewarded.

All ya whiners should aspire to be like this man. Naming the proper thing and winning because of it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

If it happens on Modo they have to pick form a drop-down menu that would make them aware of the existence of another card with Borborygmos in its name and prevent this sort of ambiguity from happening in the first place. They could even tab out and look up the card if they were unsure.

Yeah the point here is despite there being a place with the proper card name listed out and a way to pick the correct one your opponent somehow picked the wrong one.

Misclicks are possible and taking advantage of them isn't scumbagging.

And I'm saying this as someone who's lost a fair number of 8-4 finals to misclicks.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 12, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of the best outs to Standard Splinter Twin on modo was f6ing and waiting for your opponent to gently caress up the combo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Yeah the point here is despite there being a place with the proper card name listed out and a way to pick the correct one your opponent somehow picked the wrong one.

Misclicks are possible and taking advantage of them isn't scumbagging.

Sure but in this case a "misclick" would be like naming Ruric Thar because he's the big RG guy from RTR block.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't see the relevance of modo comparisons.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

it was a joke, sorry y'all

i still think getting a bunch of cash put into your hand is a more important priority than your opponent's feelbads though

There's a difference between holding your opponent to their mistakes when money is on the line versus deliberately misinterpreting what they said so you can ride some inane technicality to victory.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

"Pithing Needle, naming Jace."
"Which one?"
"Anime Jace."
"Again, which one?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oath Tokens

Plus the BFZ scions are being updated with the colorless mana symbol

I hadn't realized till now that Chandra's tokens are different from Akoum Stonewaker's. Her's don't have trample.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, it's adorable. :3:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I want to draw little sombreros on all the eldrazi scions now.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The eldrazi scion tokens are great, can't wait to vomit out a stack of them with Blight Herder

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
That reminds me, why does Lingering Souls on MTGO make lovely Kamigawa tokens?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's a shame, because the Shadowmoor spirit token art is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Even if you have the Morningtide Bitterblossom, it produces the crappy MM15 ones.

• Locked thread