Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The end of YYH feels a lot like a prototype version of HxH, and that's a good thing.

Although I can't really complain if anyone dislikes it. It's a pretty dramatic tonal shift from the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The manga for YYH has a pretty amazing middle, though, and that part holds up very, very well. The beginning spends too much time with Yosuke dead but you mostly only feel that because you already know how the story is going to change. Then after the Toguro fight it kind of wanders around and tries to figure out what it wants to be while sifting through some great ideas it doesn't do much with and also less great ideas it also doesn't do much with. There's one mostly cohesive arc in the manga after the Dark Tournament but even that flickers through a few different ideas of what it wants to be and settles on a bland retread with some great moments. Then the last few volumes happen and it's like the writer just has no idea what he wants to do and can't stick with anything.

So yeah. The start's a little slow, the end wanders around, but the middle is faaaaaantabulous. Haven't seen all of the anime though so I don't know much beyond how they tightened up the start.

Togashi really wanted to end YYH while it was still good, and editorial made him keep it going, which many people point to as the reason why YYH's ending was so weird. He was so pissed he threatened to take his next work to another magazine, so Jump made a desperate bid to keep him by giving him a contract that basically gave him the final say on every aspect of his comic. This is the reason he can take so many hiatuses (outside of his legitimate health issues) and not have to worry about his manga being canceled or anything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think YYH kind of went downhill at the end of Chapter Black. The whole "Sensui has split personalities" thing comes out of nowhere and really doesn't add anything. It's just an excuse to give Sensui a powerup so now he can treat Yusuke like a chump, whereas before he and Yusuke had opposite strengths and weaknesses. Also the "I wanted you to beat me all along" was already done by Toguro.

Then Three Kings was... I dunno. A guy I know thinks Togshi is a supreme misanthrope and that permeated Three Kings. Suddenly demons are all stronger than humans could ever be, Yusuke even considers feeding people to Raizen, and then Yusuke just loses to Yomi because....uh.... I hear it's even worse in the manga. At least in the anime he went down in a blaze of glory and was Yomi's equal. From what people tell me of the manga, he never stood a chance against Yomi and just lost.

What's the point?

Although, someone said the manga goes on after this? I'd be interested in that. I loved the anime's ending with him being reunited with Keiko but I'd still be interested in what happens to Yusuke after the tournament.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I mostly enjoyed Chapter Black but the ending wasn't so hot, especially Yusuke's random power up at the end. The artwork also started to get noticeably worse, not quite HxH magazine sketch levels of bad but pretty close. This site has some scans to give you an idea, plus excerpts and a link to a translated doujin he released shortly after he finished featuring an interview explaining why he ended it when he did.

NikkolasKing posted:

Although, someone said the manga goes on after this? I'd be interested in that. I loved the anime's ending with him being reunited with Keiko but I'd still be interested in what happens to Yusuke after the tournament.

There's a few short chapters between the end of the tournament and them going to the beach. I don't remember all of them, I think one was a ghost detective story like the beginning of the series, one has Yusuke becoming a ramen cart owner and shows his dad (his human dad, not Raizen) for about two panels, and another talks about how King Enma was actually corrupt and purposefully let demons into our world and was, I don't know, demon-arrested for it or something? It's decent stuff, and despite the sudden end of the Three Kings story I think it ends pretty well and doesn't really hurt the series as a whole.

Also Level E rules, it's got all of Togashi's favorite things like weird dark creatures & magic, an RPG game, cynical humor, an androgynous character or two, etc without being a battle series. It's only three volumes long but it's pretty dense and wordy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The tournament's ending is not that bad. IIRC Yusuke and Yomi are almost evenly matched, Yomi just barely manages to win but he's so badly beaten up that he's chumped in his next match. A random dude (one of Yusuke's dad's friends) wins the tournament and is declared king. The demon world and heaven make a peace treaty so high-ranking demons can come and go as they wish from earth as long as they leave humans alone.

There's a final mini-arc in which some of heaven's inhabitants are unhappy with the treaty, take some hostages and tell the king to rescind the treaty or else; the king calls on Yusuke and his friend who go in and chump the terrorists. Yusuke is left having to cut one of two wires to disarm a bomb, cut to black. A while after he's reunited with Keiko who chews him up for taking such a risk. With Yusuke out of earshot, Kurama tells Keiko Yusuke had cut the red wire because "He remembered that's your favourite colour, and he said it would bring him luck". End.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Rin. I really enjoyed how the decision between the two girls had been kept fairly ambiguous this entire time, I could absolutely have seen him going with either of them. But now it seems like the choice has been made, or perhaps Lu is wrong! And I really like the way the Yatagarasu guy is represented. Just a dude in a suit, with some baggy sweats and a big loving smug bird mascot head on

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I am loving Viz's sales and bundles but I'm wondering, is Shaman King is worth picking up? It's another one of those series I heard a lot of people talking about years back but I never paid attention so I don't know if they were praising it or not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's good

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

It is. It got canceled by Shonen Jump after all, like all good Shonen series.

(No, I'm not still bitter about Double Arts, why do you ask?)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New Rin. I really enjoyed how the decision between the two girls had been kept fairly ambiguous this entire time, I could absolutely have seen him going with either of them. But now it seems like the choice has been made, or perhaps Lu is wrong! And I really like the way the Yatagarasu guy is represented. Just a dude in a suit, with some baggy sweats and a big loving smug bird mascot head on

I'm happy that Rin didn't get weird about the thing with her walking in on Fushimi and Honda. Even ignoring her special powers, she knows Fushimi well enough as a person to know that he doesn't have any bad intentions. Most manga would turn that into some big dumb conflict where she distrusts him until he "proves himself."

I'm sort of expecting it to defy expectations by having Rin by the bad choice (not because there's anything wrong with her as a person, but because choosing her just causes something bad to happen for whatever reason; maybe something bad will happen to Rin as a sort of parallel with Mirai - who we know to be modeled after Rin - in Fushimi's comic?). It seems too obvious for Rin to be the "good girl" that he is supposed to end up with, and Honda also seems like a good person. Earlier in the comic they made it seem like Honda was possibly just messing around with him, but it seems like she has always been genuinely interested in Fushimi.

One thing I like about Rin is it sort of plays with the audience's expectations of how things usually go in manga like this. Early on you get the impression that a bunch of the people around the main character are dishonest/untrustworthy (like Honda and his editor), but you later find out that this may just be because of Fushimi's distorted perspective and/or the audience's expectations (since it's very common for the main character in a manga to have a bunch of "adversaries," especially if he's a teenage boy). As Fushimi gets older and experiences more things, he comes to realize that these people all have their own circumstances and motivations.

One other thing that I feel has worked out well in the long run but must have been difficult for people following the manga from the beginning is that it takes Fushimi a really long time before he establishes himself a person and stops making as many poor decisions. He was writing that harem comedy manga for many chapters (of Rin, not the meta-manga), even though the readers knew from the beginning that it was a bad idea and wouldn't fully bring out his potential. It works well now, since the readers get a much better feel for how Fushimi has developed as a person, but it was probably frustrating waiting month after month for him to, for example, realize that the harem comedy manga was a bad idea and to stop letting his editor push him around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Exactly. I also really like Rin because it's basically like reading multiple manga at once, you get the story about Fushimi, and then you also get the pretty great story about hunting down the Polycoriac Man in multiple realities.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Lu-san a possible choice?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I dunno where the Magi thread is but the new Magi have been cool. It's fun to see how the insanely abrupt transition from Feudalism to Late Capitalism wrecked havoc on the world

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Exactly. I also really like Rin because it's basically like reading multiple manga at once, you get the story about Fushimi, and then you also get the pretty great story about hunting down the Polycoriac Man in multiple realities.

One thing I'm curious about that hasn't been touched upon in a really long time is all the mystery surrounding Fushimi and Rin apparently having known each other in a past life (and how that's related to Rin's ability). It became a more prominent plot point during that whole trip arc, but I don't think it's come up again since Fushimi returned and started focusing a ton on his career.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you read the latest chapter? It's been hinted at since, yeah.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Lu-san a possible choice?
If only :allears:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

To expound: Shaman King is a pretty good shounen action manga (I can't really speak for the anime, as the only thing available is the 4Kids localized version, and no, just no); it's not transcendent or anything, but it is a solidly paced and fairly creative take on the whole "let's all join up and fight in a tournament" thingy. Plus, I've always kinda dug Hiroyuki's art-style and how varied his character designs tend to be. Just make sure if you do pick it up you do get the Kan Zen Bang edition, as Hiroyuki';s first run ended with writers block and an apology; the author later revisited the series and touched up some things, including a still not perfect, but more satisfying ending.

vv true, true... so I guess it was best for all concerned that things happened as they did!

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 28, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It quickly got mired in power level hell and only escaped when it got cancelled.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Shaman King get a sequel or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you read the latest chapter? It's been hinted at since, yeah.

Her power is mentioned, yeah, but I don't think the previous life stuff has been.

Also I am shipping Taki with Fushimi.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
So Crunchyroll recently picked up an all color manga called MomoKuri and I'm already kinda digging it a lot.

The setup is basically crazy-rear end stalker girl asks out her crush (an oblivious younger guy) and he accepts because she's kinda cute and he gives this no real thought whatsoever. Everything from there is equal parts cute and awkward as hell because both of them are idiots who don't know anything about each other and stalker girl is still constantly doing stalker stuff while trying not to get called on it by her boyfriend.

They only have like 15 chapters up so I dunno maybe it derails later but so far it's a weird little romcom that has a bit of unique charm to it.

Edit:

And of course it's already getting an anime, albeit a kinda cheap looking app exclusive one that will probably get streamed never.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-24/momokuri-anime-1st-episode-premieres-on-thursday/.96891

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 30, 2015

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Shaman King get a sequel or something?

Yes, but not seen translations of it around in quite a long time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Crazy, akame ga kill actually did something unexpected for once. A happy ending, of all things! I kept expecting it to cut away to those two being killed as soon as they left.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Crazy, akame ga kill actually did something unexpected for once. A happy ending, of all things! I kept expecting it to cut away to those two being killed as soon as they left.

Same

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

There's been a suspicious lack of likeable characters dying this arc, so whatever's next is going to be so brutal. But I am glad those two are going off to safety. I hope they get married and adopt some orphans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahahahaahaa, the best chapter black clover will ever have just came out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Black-Clover/Ch-044--Siblings?id=260238

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Ahahahaahaa, the best chapter black clover will ever have just came out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Black-Clover/Ch-044--Siblings?id=260238

Is it because someone uploaded Birdman instead of Black Clover? Did I miss the joke?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

resurgam40 posted:

To expound: Shaman King is a pretty good shounen action manga (I can't really speak for the anime, as the only thing available is the 4Kids localized version, and no, just no); it's not transcendent or anything, but it is a solidly paced and fairly creative take on the whole "let's all join up and fight in a tournament" thingy. Plus, I've always kinda dug Hiroyuki's art-style and how varied his character designs tend to be. Just make sure if you do pick it up you do get the Kan Zen Bang edition, as Hiroyuki';s first run ended with writers block and an apology; the author later revisited the series and touched up some things, including a still not perfect, but more satisfying ending.

vv true, true... so I guess it was best for all concerned that things happened as they did!

It's probably worth noting that, unless my memory is off, 4kids hosed with Shaman King waaaaaaaay less than typical of them. I think they changed some character names and took out blood and that's it- I was reading the manga in Shonen Jump at the same time it was running on TV and I remember both versions seeming pretty much alike.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(It's kinda funny to note, Shonen Jump back in the day shat on 4kids as much as the Internet did. It's surprising Viz was even willing to work with 4kids, TV slots aside.)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
In a double whammy of ballroom dancing manga, both Ballroom e Youkoso and Straighten Up had chapters drop this week (two in Straighten Up's case).

I'm not the only one who saw the sexual tension at the end of BeY, am I?

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Everyone here needs to read Helck.
I was expecting a fantasy comedy that i would get bored of in a few chapters, but ended up reading it all at once.
The translator also updates it really fast, multiple chapters per day.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

HELCK 

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 11, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Helck is really good, read Helck

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GoldenPrice posted:

I was expecting a fantasy comedy that i would get bored of in a few chapters, but ended up reading it all at once.

Jesus Christ, the comments section for the first chapter is just full of people making references of the "it's over 9000" meme. Just because a guy has a power level with a 9 in it I guess.

The most pitiful thing is seeing nerds throw out dumb memes and references in the hopes that they can bond with other people over the profound act of mutually...recognizing a thing.

edit: the comic is really good though

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 11, 2016

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus Christ, the comments section for the first chapter is just full of people making references of the "it's over 9000" meme. Just because a guy has a power level with a 9 in it I guess.

The most pitiful thing is seeing nerds throw out dumb memes and references in the hopes that they can bond with other people over the profound act of mutually...recognizing a thing.

HELCK 

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

HELCK 

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GoldenPrice posted:

First comment on the page:

quote:

This manga is what happens if Saitama lived in a fantasy world Lololol

I am so in

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I am all aboard the HELCK train. The setting and story are both so good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

First comment on the page:

I am so in

That is inaccurate. Saitama is unreasonably strong and a complete failure at every other aspect of life. Helck is unreasonably strong and seems to be good at everything he tries despite being a weird shirtless muscle man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I don't agree with the Helck-Saitama comparison. It's only superficially true in that they're both ridiculously strong for their setting. But the way the story handles their ridiculous strength is way different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Helck is really good, thanks for that. It runs on a magazine or is more like a webcomic?