Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tae posted:

Basic questions about the game:
-Is encumbrance that much of an issue?
-Is there a combo list for basic attacks?

1) yes, and the augments Leg-Strength and Sinew are some of the best because of it. Their value depends on your character size, or preferred encumbrance level, and they compliment eachother greatly. You can get by without either, however.
2) Combos are basically 1-2-3. There is a slight variation that lets you extend them, into 1-2-3-4s, but there's no reason for have a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While waiting I decided to look at the start of the game so as I was watching a walkthrough the player said that in Hard the enemies have better strategies, coordinated better the attacks, etc.
Is this true ?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make your pawn a giant so it can carry as much stuff as possible and also make them a mage for healing/buffs because finding a pawn that has the inclinations that do either of these takes forever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A thing that I like doing is making myself and my main pawn be the same class whenever possible, so that they learn my own playstyle for each class. You can have two of anything and still be okay with your hired pawns providing the other stuff, and your pawn will be way smarter than average because of this, since there IS some sort of hidden learn-from-the-player system going on.

This way I just switch up my main pawn to whatever needs doing to make up for hired pawns while I play a hybrid class at the end (usually Assassin or MA).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gyoru posted:

If this is your first time playing:

-snip-

that said here is the super balanced min/max build:
http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#af0000001b3f0000000000010000174c000000

This is much appreciated. As someone who never played the console version I was just about to sperg out about this and it's comforting to know it's unnecessary.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Infinity Gaia posted:

A thing that I like doing is making myself and my main pawn be the same class whenever possible, so that they learn my own playstyle for each class. You can have two of anything and still be okay with your hired pawns providing the other stuff, and your pawn will be way smarter than average because of this, since there IS some sort of hidden learn-from-the-player system going on.
It sounds like you're talking about how pawns learn about monsters, like what elements they're vulnerable to and where their weak points are. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sindai posted:

It sounds like you're talking about how pawns learn about monsters, like what elements they're vulnerable to and where their weak points are. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
No they learn behaviour as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sindai posted:

They learn your behavior too. I noticed it when I realized that my pawns tossed exploding barrels WAY more often in my gimmick run where I tried to use mostly environment kills or attack items to complement my hand-to-hand run.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Walking into a room and your pawns immediately running around smashing every crate and barrel within reach never stops being amusing.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Played this to death on 360, can't wait for the PC port so I can stab giant monsters in their heads all over again.

I'll take a Steam invite to the group if you don't mind, Steam name is the same as my username.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Into Dangan has already been modded in as an alternate opening theme.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ZZZorcerer posted:

While waiting I decided to look at the start of the game so as I was watching a walkthrough the player said that in Hard the enemies have better strategies, coordinated better the attacks, etc.
Is this true ?

If they did, I sure never noticed it.

If you are a first time player, don't bother with hard(and really only ever bother with hard if you want money).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hope someone makes a mod that removes encumbrance because i hate having to monitor poo poo i'm carrying in games

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
My Steam ID's the same as my SA forumname: http://steamcommunity.com/id/valatar/

Add me for Friday, you goons.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

This doesn't refute your main point but you can hotkey items so you can use them with your number keys outside of the pause menu now

I actually haven't been able to do that, but I think the review copy is missing a few features.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Mr E posted:

I can't imagine it will be hard to cheat engine star values, which will be great if it happens because I don't really want to care about that.

It would be nice to cheat engine NG+ to make it a challenge

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gyoru posted:

http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#af0000001b3f0000000000010000174c000000

Put this in the op imo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm a dirty pirate because I couldn't wait for my preload to unlock, and to assuage any fears I can confirm that the port runs perfectly fine outside of a few instances of slowdown upon a transition. This was over the course of like 10 hours, though, so it's hardly a problem.

Jose posted:

i hope someone makes a mod that removes encumbrance because i hate having to monitor poo poo i'm carrying in games

Encumbrance has an actual mechanical impact on the game, if I recall correctly. It's be interesting to see what an Arisen carrying hundreds of pounds would wind up like.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Exactly the same as one carrying nothing, if it's done right.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
So I remember dabbling in this back on the PS3. It ran like poo poo and the texture quality made me sad so I only played up until I reached that one big city... Gran Soren I think? Anyway I was probably gimping the gently caress out of my guy from being a straight mage. From what I gather around here that's not the way to go apparently? What should I be doing in this video game if all I care about is shooting great big balls of frost/fire/lightning at large wildlife?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NT Plus posted:

So I remember dabbling in this back on the PS3. It ran like poo poo and the texture quality made me sad so I only played up until I reached that one big city... Gran Soren I think? Anyway I was probably gimping the gently caress out of my guy from being a straight mage. From what I gather around here that's not the way to go apparently? What should I be doing in this video game if all I care about is shooting great big balls of frost/fire/lightning at large wildlife?

Just play mage and then switch over to Sorcerer for even more ridiculous magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NT Plus posted:

You've got a very clear path ahead of you. Start as a Mage then change to Sorcerer and enjoy throwing massive, flashy spells all over the place.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well ain't the gif, but here is a video showing how your pawns can join in the funtimes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuE3w0JDtbY

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NT Plus posted:

Start as Mage then switch to Sorcerer as soon as you can (once you reach level 10 and are at the Gran Soren Inn). Mage isn't bad, just tepid when compared to Sorcerer in terms of destructive capability.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nahxela posted:

Play Mystic Knight to see to how low you can drop the game's FPS

It just won't be the same if all my cannons can't bring the fps to single digits :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It just won't be the same if all my cannons can't bring the fps to single digits :negative:

Just get a shittier computer if you fail to do this. :v:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sidequests

Reminder for everyone to refresh themselves on the game's many arbitrary quest cut-off points.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Is this true ?

All I really noticed on my hard playthrough is that for brief periods at the beginning of the game and during the couple difficulty spikes in the main campaign and the DLC, many enemies can one-shot you. Most of the game plays almost exactly the same, however.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 11, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gyoru posted:

This is all true, but it's also focused on level 200 characters using fully upgraded endgame equipment (who here has ever even bothered getting to level 200?). Your offensive stat growths are going to matter a bit more when you're a midlevel character using poo poo gear, desperately trying to overcome the defense threshold of an ogre or whatever. Especially since your stats increase much more quickly at lower levels, while falling off to minuscule gains at 100+.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Evil Canadian posted:

Well ain't the gif, but here is a video showing how your pawns can join in the funtimes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuE3w0JDtbY

I personally like spider-toss better

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
In the end it might not matter, but the damage threshold mechanic is what's going to wall off certain monsters more than levels will. If you want to kill the end game monsters of BitterBlack Isle, especially on your second, harder, run through, you want all the damage of your chosen type as possible. I recall you needed to hit something silly like 2800 of either physical or magic attack to even appreciably damage stuff like Death or then end boss form 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would love to see a mod that just makes every class get the same stat growth, something balanced and average so that you can play whatever you want without feeling any pressure (even if you can live without ever paying attention to the stats). Might not be good if it affected your pawn too though since that would affect other games.

I foresee jackasses coming up with ways to put broken gear or whatever on pawns that will crash games when those pawns appear in your game or you hire them. Hopefully they will have some cheat detection to protect against that since the PC is way more vulnerable to it than the old console versions were.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who's online, and where all those random friend invites are coming from later down the road. Can even put in a Google spreadsheet for characters there and mark it as private viewing, if we do something like that.

Just post in here or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite.

Oh, and showing off why Dragon's Dogma has the most perfect character creator.
i wanna join this drag doggo group too please thanks :shobon:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I would love to see a mod that just makes every class get the same stat growth, something balanced and average so that you can play whatever you want without feeling any pressure (even if you can live without ever paying attention to the stats). Might not be good if it affected your pawn too though since that would affect other games.

I foresee jackasses coming up with ways to put broken gear or whatever on pawns that will crash games when those pawns appear in your game or you hire them. Hopefully they will have some cheat detection to protect against that since the PC is way more vulnerable to it than the old console versions were.
That already happened in the console versions though, Capcom just sanitised the pawns that their servers were sharing.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

In the end it might not matter, but the damage threshold mechanic is what's going to wall off certain monsters more than levels will. If you want to kill the end game monsters of BitterBlack Isle, especially on your second, harder, run through, you want all the damage of your chosen type as possible. I recall you needed to hit something silly like 2800 of either physical or magic attack to even appreciably damage stuff like Death or then end boss form 2.

I remember being able to absolutely wreck death and the final boss on a magick archer with the best bow. If I recall correctly I was around 2300 magic, but I wasn't min-maxed beyond having relevant augments. Having a tier 2 or 3 bbi weapon means way more than your base stats, and of course you can always go nuts with periapts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you get death in one of the corridor bits of BBI and use 4 of the magic boosting consumables he gets destroyed by ricochet bolt

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Magic archer also gets magic rebalancer as a dagger skill which is basically infinite partywide demon's/mage's periapts in skill form.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
First form Damon(?) isn't so bad, but I remember going to BitterBlack with my first character as a level 100 magic archer. First 50 levels were a mix of Mage and Sorceror, while the rest were a mix of everything else to test skills. During the second run with advanced monsters, if I ran into a gorecyclops or elder ogre I had to lure them into a hall for lightning arrows and periapt stacking or just leave them for later. Getting the tier 2 BitterBlack Magic bow was a huge relief because I could finally fight things as I had become accustomed.

Not that it hurt my impression of the game. I loved it; there's a reason I started using alt accounts to make new characters and run through it all again.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 11, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Evil Canadian posted:

If they did, I sure never noticed it.

If you are a first time player, don't bother with hard(and really only ever bother with hard if you want money).

Deified Data posted:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sidequests

Reminder for everyone to refresh themselves on the game's many arbitrary quest cut-off points.

All I really noticed on my hard playthrough is that for brief periods at the beginning of the game and during the couple difficulty spikes in the main campaign and the DLC, many enemies can one-shot you. Most of the game plays almost exactly the same, however.

Great, normal it is then. Thanks

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Been wanting to play this game since it came out but didn't have the console. Thanks for the heads up on Page 1 about the GMG coupon.

I'd like an invitation to the group. Looking forward to having my pawn fight with everyone. =) http://steamcommunity.com/id/electric_lady/

Can you make multiple pawns or is the Main Pawn the only one you can customize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electric Lady posted:

Been wanting to play this game since it came out but didn't have the console. Thanks for the heads up on Page 1 about the GMG coupon.

I'd like an invitation to the group. Looking forward to having my pawn fight with everyone. =) http://steamcommunity.com/id/electric_lady/

Can you make multiple pawns or is the Main Pawn the only one you can customize?

You only get your main Pawn. You can buy (expensive) items with RC to recustomize them once during the main game and a permanent version in the post-game (also works for the main Character).

That's if you want to change Height/Weight/gender. You can change hairstyles and some minor cosmetic stuff at the barber shop at any point.