Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

homeless poster posted:

i've got 50+ hours on this game and i have never passed 5-3.

Aside from the usual advice.

http://www.twitch.tv/ster/profile/past_broadcasts

Maybe watch "nuclear throne is easy" it helped me to watch someone who is great.

Alternately record your own video and show us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Butyraceous posted:

I'm pretty sure that shortcut worlds that have you skip large chunks of the game, like the oasis, make the game easier overall, since it gets harder based on how many times you've gone through a portal. Going into crown vaults and the ninja turtles place makes the game harder overall, because they don't skip you ahead but add an additional portal to your progress. However, while making more enemies spawn, it brings up weapon rarity by one, so you can get better weapons earlier if you first go to the ninja turtle house and then the crown vault.

Generally speaking getting to the next tier of weapons is better than having slightly fewer enemies, though I tend to do better when I take the Oasis shortcut

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

Generally speaking getting to the next tier of weapons is better than having slightly fewer enemies, though I tend to do better when I take the Oasis shortcut

Yeah it doesn't matter if there's one throne dog or three next to your portal, they aren't going to put up with your assault rifle and slugger combo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sometimes you gotta be defensive, other times ya gotta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbctTRpD0A

In other news in my 69 (heh) hours of playing this game this is the most bullshit death i ever had.

A loving health mimic.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Butyraceous posted:

I'm pretty sure that shortcut worlds that have you skip large chunks of the game, like the oasis, make the game easier overall, since it gets harder based on how many times you've gone through a portal. Going into crown vaults and the ninja turtles place makes the game harder overall, because they don't skip you ahead but add an additional portal to your progress. However, while making more enemies spawn, it brings up weapon rarity by one, so you can get better weapons earlier if you first go to the ninja turtle house and then the crown vault.

I find the exact opposite. Oasis skip in particular means you're hitting the palace with, what, like two mutations and a standard crossbow? Even with slightly fewer enemies it's just awful.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

megane posted:

I find the exact opposite. Oasis skip in particular means you're hitting the palace with, what, like two mutations and a standard crossbow? Even with slightly fewer enemies it's just awful.

Nah, you should still easily have 4-6 mutations and can get something better than a crossbow by then (although it does happen on occasion).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I had my best run today with chicken, a decent set of mutations, and with the autocrossbow and energy sword I set out to loop the game. Then I got chicken Ultra A, got the blood crown in the junkyard and killed big dog.

Sadly I had a bad spawn in the crystal caves, i didn't have energy for my sword nor for my crossbow and my ultra shovel spent all my rads.

All I had next to me was a minigun, and the determination to kill all those motherfuckers that where in my way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDG4sPul8w&t=44s

I didn' make it but at least chicken made her great-great-great-(ad infinitive)-great ancestors proud, she was indeed a goddammed sexual tyrannosaur.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Something clicked yesterday and I'm constantly getting to the Throne. I looped twice today, but the first time I died because I had dual machine guns and just got overwhelmed. The second time I got hit by a popo van.

Now I just need to get used to how the Throne shoots, I keep dying to it because I'm focusing too hard on the generators.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jack B Nimble posted:

Aside from the usual advice.

http://www.twitch.tv/ster/profile/past_broadcasts

Maybe watch "nuclear throne is easy" it helped me to watch someone who is great.

Alternately record your own video and show us?

a lot of the videos i've seen have the player using guns that home on enemies and explode 10 times and perfectly kill everything on the entire screen. it's frustrating because if i ever get to lil' hunter i typically have something like a grenade launcher and a slug gun (unless i got a really nice drop from big dog in 3-3). i feel like the game would definitely be easier if i could unlock better weapons for each dude, but i can't get to the point where the good weapons are even dropping. i try to hit YV's mansion every time i can for the guaranteed golden weapon, but so far all that's provided is a golden crossbow and laser pistol and grenade launcher on 3 different characters.

is there some trick to finding great weapons prior to 5-3?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

homeless poster posted:

a lot of the videos i've seen have the player using guns that home on enemies and explode 10 times and perfectly kill everything on the entire screen. it's frustrating because if i ever get to lil' hunter i typically have something like a grenade launcher and a slug gun (unless i got a really nice drop from big dog in 3-3). i feel like the game would definitely be easier if i could unlock better weapons for each dude, but i can't get to the point where the good weapons are even dropping. i try to hit YV's mansion every time i can for the guaranteed golden weapon, but so far all that's provided is a golden crossbow and laser pistol and grenade launcher on 3 different characters.

Play Robot

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ElMaligno posted:

Sometimes you gotta be defensive, other times ya gotta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbctTRpD0A

In other news in my 69 (heh) hours of playing this game this is the most bullshit death i ever had.

A loving health mimic.

mimics are straight up my favorite roguelike enemy. I love them, because every story that comes from them is hilarious

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Gun mimics would be cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mimics are a stupid-rear end idea in a game about running around as fast and recklessly as possible.

edit: Yes, please penalize me for playing the game the way you intended for it to be played. Please do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I've learned to deal with mimics so they don't get me anymore but what they encourage you to do does not play to the game's strengths.

Also sometimes they don't even drop ammo or they get killed by carnage offscreen before you even get to them, screwing you out of your chest.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CJacobs posted:

Mimics are a stupid-rear end idea in a game about running around as fast and recklessly as possible.

edit: Yes, please penalize me for playing the game the way you intended for it to be played. Please do.

Nah, mimics are cool. Shooting them in the heat of battle is quick and painless enough.

Sade posted:

Gun mimics would be cool.

This however would be stupid as gently caress.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Butyraceous posted:

I'm pretty sure that shortcut worlds that have you skip large chunks of the game, like the oasis, make the game easier overall, since it gets harder based on how many times you've gone through a portal.
It's not worth it because weapon spawns depend on that same number("Difficulty"), and getting higher tier weapons helps the player more than the slight increase in enemies.

It's faster to go oasis but almost always harder.

homeless poster posted:

Don't go to YV's mansion, golden weapons are just not very good. Robot's passive only means weapons can show up one level earlier than normal which isn't a big deal.

Really you just have to practice the fundamentals. Don't overextend, take stronger weapons over more ammo-efficient ones almost always, break line of sight with lil hunter as soon as possible and punish him when he lands/summons IDPD because he can't attack for a second or so when he does those things.

CJacobs posted:

Well, for starters Nuclear Throne isn't actually about running around as fast and recklessly as possible. Beyond that, you can notice them basically all of the time if you're observant because they don't glimmer like normal chests, not to mention they often move out of place, and if you're not observant enough and are also impatient you can just shoot them once.

git gud basically

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

homeless poster posted:

If you're still saddled with the Slugger by the time you get to World 5 then something is very wrong. I usually start to see high-grade kit dropping by the time I fight Mad Dog. The real problem is that better weapons chew through ammo like crazy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

Well, for starters Nuclear Throne isn't actually about running around as fast and recklessly as possible. Beyond that, you can notice them basically all of the time if you're observant because they don't glimmer like normal chests, not to mention they often move out of place, and if you're not observant enough and are also impatient you can just shoot them once.

git gud basically

My point was that they add an unnecessary element of wariness where the game really does not have any room for one. You run around and shoot the enemies. There is no more to the game except for run around and shoot the enemies, with the exception of mimics that don't add anything except for a dick move that hurts you if you don't notice it. Having to be cautious of a power-up because it might not be a power-up in a game where there are 3 power up items is stupid. It's really out of place and makes very little sense to be a game mechanic for the type of game that this is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CJacobs posted:

My point was that they add an unnecessary element of wariness where the game really does not have any room for one. You run around and shoot the enemies. There is no more to the game except for run around and shoot the enemies, with the exception of mimics that don't add anything except for a dick move that hurts you if you don't notice it. Having to be cautious of a power-up because it might not be a power-up in a game where there are 3 power up items is stupid. It's really out of place and makes very little sense to be a game mechanic for the type of game that this is.

They should add in big gun chest mimics that do 10 points of touch damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also mimics kill Melting instantly because he's only got 2 health and that's actually bullshit. Mimics, despite their inclusion not making sense, are not bullshit on their own, but that definitely is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ammo is rarely as much of a problem as it seems it will be, since the game drops ammo more when you are low on ammo.

The #1 problem I see new players have in Nuclear Throne beyond just learning enemy patterns is too much weapon loyalty. (ex:It doesn't matter if the super splinter gun/minigun consumes more ammo than your crossbow/assault rifle, it's way better!)

CJacobs posted:

It's actually great, because it's really funny, and once you know it happens it's no big deal. I have never had a death to a mimic where I wasn't like "well, you got me! :allears:"

Also Nuclear Throne is full of "wariness" almost all the time, if you're not using cover and picking off enemies safely whenever you can you're handicapping yourself

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Also mimics kill Melting instantly because he's only got 2 health and that's actually bullshit. Mimics, despite their inclusion not making sense, are not bullshit on their own, but that definitely is.
maybe when you're playing the super fragile character and you don't yet have any mutations that let you take more hits you should be more careful about mimics, instead of running into chests without paying attention to whether they're shimmering or not and then blaming the game for your mistake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

maybe when you're playing the super fragile character and you don't yet have any mutations that let you take more hits you should be more careful about mimics, instead of running into chests without paying attention to whether they're shimmering or not and then blaming the game for your mistake

I'm not blaming the game for any mistakes I make while playing, I think you need to learn to read

edit: To clarify, I acknowledge that when I get killed by a mimic it was my fault that it happened because I didn't notice the signs of it being a mimic. But they should not be in the game because they're stupid and counter-productive. Also, IronicDongz should git gud at posting/reading.

They don't belong in the game for the same reason the sentry gun didn't:

Mimics encourage you to stand around and do nothing while you wait for it to show you the signs of it being one, which is boring. Or you could waste ammo by shooting every single chest, which adds no positive elements to the gameplay in the slightest.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

But they should not be in the game because they're stupid and counter-productive.
Counter-productive to what, exactly? You haven't really established either of those things, just that you've died to them and you don't like paying attention to chests.

Mimics test the player's caution and attention(balanced against the player's short-term desire for ammo/HP). Most enemies in the game do this, they just do it in a different way and add a good dose of comedy to the game.

CJacobs posted:

Mimics encourage you to stand around and do nothing while you wait for it to show you the signs of it being one, which is boring. Or you could waste ammo by shooting every single chest, which adds no positive elements to the gameplay in the slightest.
The amount of time it takes for a chest to glint is seriously like 1.5 seconds or something. You always have time to see if a chest is not doing that(which means it's a mimic, you don't have to wait for it to show its mouth) in normal play because of the amount of time it takes you to walk up to a chest from the edge of the screen, you don't need to wait around at all.

Also, the sentry gun was removed because it interacted weirdly with terrain and was really really weak and bad, which led to no one using it.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 11, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

homeless poster posted:

Nobody's mentioned this, so I thought I would: try not opening weapon chests, especially in the desert. Each weapon chest you leave unopened adds to this counter and eventually you'll get a big weapon chest containing three weapons. This is worthwhile to do because you're giving up early weapons in favor of later, better ones. In particular if you dodge all the desert chests you'll usually get the big weapon chest in Sewers, and that means stuff like flame shotguns could be in it. I basically never open normal weapon chests unless I have a specific reason.

e: This is assuming you're okay with clearing the entire Desert using only a revolver, of course. If you're not to that point, focus on not getting hit and murdering important enemies (scorpions, assassins, snipers) with prejudice the second you see them.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

What? Just shoot a chest before you open it, it's really not that hard. And one wasted ammo is NOTHING in this game.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

megane posted:

Nobody's mentioned this, so I thought I would: try not opening weapon chests, especially in the desert. Each weapon chest you leave unopened adds to this counter and eventually you'll get a big weapon chest containing three weapons. This is worthwhile to do because you're giving up early weapons in favor of later, better ones. In particular if you dodge all the desert chests you'll usually get the big weapon chest in Sewers, and that means stuff like flame shotguns could be in it. I basically never open normal weapon chests unless I have a specific reason.

e: This is assuming you're okay with clearing the entire Desert using only a revolver, of course. If you're not to that point, focus on not getting hit and murdering important enemies (scorpions, assassins, snipers) with prejudice the second you see them.

that helps a lot because i had no idea what triggered different things to happen; i thought it was all just RNG rogue-like systems at work.

weapon chests are the orange and the red and the yellow boxes right? i assume the presents with the bows on top just contain random poo poo? is there some system to their appearance or are they random?

also, what kind of weapon upgrades should i be looking for? i feel like the slugger is better than a flame shotgun or double shotgun because it does better single shot damage, but clearly i don't have a good handle on the game systems. something like the lightning pistol / rifle seems useless because i can't directly aim it (the bolt will arc towards closer enemies i don't always want to shoot). are <adjective> gun always better than the regular gun, or is there ever a reason i would keep the basic gun?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mimics are stupid in every game but it's pretty easy to never die to a mimic in nuclear throne. Even if you don't want to shoot them for whatever reason there's also a lot of tells

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Today, I learned that standing in throne 2 while it's spawning is a bad idea. Wish I hadn't learned that while holding the chicken sword, though.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

homeless poster posted:

that helps a lot because i had no idea what triggered different things to happen; i thought it was all just RNG rogue-like systems at work.

weapon chests are the orange and the red and the yellow boxes right? i assume the presents with the bows on top just contain random poo poo? is there some system to their appearance or are they random?

also, what kind of weapon upgrades should i be looking for? i feel like the slugger is better than a flame shotgun or double shotgun because it does better single shot damage, but clearly i don't have a good handle on the game systems. something like the lightning pistol / rifle seems useless because i can't directly aim it (the bolt will arc towards closer enemies i don't always want to shoot). are <adjective> gun always better than the regular gun, or is there ever a reason i would keep the basic gun?

Every level contains a red weapons chest. The yellow ammo chest can be swapped with a present box, which has ammo for a random weapon type. If a portal opens a present box you will get ammo as if it were any other pick up.

I don't think there's any hard-fast rule on the upgrades. But here's the weapons in the game, note the damage and such.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

homeless poster posted:

Here are all the chests:
Yellow boxes are ammo chests, they give you ammo for the weapon you are holding. Skipping them does nothing. There is one of them per level.
Yellow boxes with a red bow are gift chests, they give you ammo for a weapontype you do not currently have. Skipping them does nothing. They sometimes spawn instead of ammo chests.
Red boxes are weapon chests. They have weapons inside, skipping one will give you a 25% chance of a big weapon chest later(which stacks). There is one of them per level unless it's a big one.
Blue boxes are IDPD chests, which contain a ton of ammo, sometimes replace ammo chests, and summon IDPD when you open them. Skipping them does nothing.
Green rad canisters have rads, obviously, and skipping one will make a big rad canister spawn on the next level. Skipping that, too, will make a hostile Horror spawn on the next level instead of a rad canister(beating it will unlock Horror if you haven't already).

homeless poster posted:

Flame shotgun is better than the slugger, it can do more damage, has higher rate of fire, is better at crowd control and the repeated fire damage putting enemies in hitstun helps prevent them from attacking as much. Double shotgun is subjective, I would take it over a slugger but sometimes you may not want to(if you have trigger fingers, though, I'd always take it over a slugger).
Lightning pistol is pretty good, but lightning rifle is hot trash because of the poo poo rate of fire. Lightning shotgun is pretty bad too because an enemy can only be hurt by one lightning rail at a time. Lightning cannon is great.
<adjective> guns are usually better, yes. There may be a downside(ex: "super" weapons fire 5 shots at once, but are slower) but it's usually worth it!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you want good weapons fast, hit the pizza sewers and take the crown of curses in the 3-2 vault

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

thank you and everyone else who is educating me. so is there some kind of preferred weapon hierarchy for most players who are consistently looping? i hear bolt marrow is a great mutation but every time i see it pop up i don't have a bolt weapon, and vice-versa. do you want one rapid-fire / spread weapon and one big damage weapon? when are melee weapons competitive with guns?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When I'm not phone posting I want to talk about game guns so bad. But regarding getting good guns you really just need to get something dangerous in time for frozen city. You can do every thing before crystal caves with a revolver if you HAVE to.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2 YUNG 2 DIE

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

homeless poster posted:

thank you and everyone else who is educating me. so is there some kind of preferred weapon hierarchy for most players who are consistently looping?
There's not like an official tier list or anything like that, but there are weapons which are pretty much universally accepted as good. To name a few: auto crossbow, gatling slugger, hyper rifle, plasma cannon, super plasma cannon(with the right build), energy sword, seeker shotgun, super crossbow.

homeless poster posted:

i hear bolt marrow is a great mutation but every time i see it pop up i don't have a bolt weapon, and vice-versa.
It's often safer to only take weapon mutations for weapons you do already have, but a). don't get too attached to a weapon just because you have a mutation for it(ex: hyper rifle is better than a crossbow even if you have bolt marrow), and b). It's ok to build for weapons you don't have yet if you're confident you'll survive long enough to get weapons of that type.

That said, here's basically how the weapon mutations go:
A-tier: Bolt Marrow, Long Arms, Laser brain
B-tier: Boiling veins, Recycle gland
C-tier: Shotgun shoulders

homeless poster posted:

do you want one rapid-fire / spread weapon and one big damage weapon?
So whenever you're playing, you should keep two things in mind: how will I kill swarms of low HP enemies, and how will I kill low amounts of beefy high HP enemies?
Some weapons are good at both(ex: auto crossbow with bolt marrow). Some weapons are fast/have good coverage so they're really good at killing swarms of enemies, but less good at single target damage(ex: dragon, double flame shotgun), and some weapons are good at dealing heavy single target damage but bad at dealing with swarms(ex: heavy crossbow, heavy slugger). You don't want to be lacking vs. swarms or beefy dudes, so make sure at least one of your weapons covers each.

Also: some weapons do huge burst damage, but then have a long reload time, like super weapons(fire 5 shots at a time, much longer reload than normal). This means that normally, they're good for single target damage but bad for swarms. However, if you have Trigger Fingers, each kill cuts your remaining time before you can fire your next shot by 40%, which means if you fire and kill a bunch of enemies, you'll immediately be able to shoot again. This makes powerful slow weapons into powerful fast weapons, and they become good at everything.

homeless poster posted:

when are melee weapons competitive with guns?
The situation when melee weapons are at their best is once you're looping(especially with crown of blood) and there's tons of projectiles you wanna protect yourself from. The best melee weapons are energy sword, energy hammer(btw: Laser Brain doubles the damage of these weapons by making them hitreg twice!), ultra shovel. Somewhat below them, Guitar, Lightning hammer, blood hammer, jackhammer, black sword. Then everything else below those.

Melee weapons can still be good before loop and without the best ones, though. Sledgehammer will one-hit most enemies, but is slow, so you want Trigger Fingers as well as long arms. Shovel has a wider arc, but it won't one-hit some enemies without Scarier Face(like crystal spiders) and it's just as slow as Sledgehammer.
Unless your gun choices are bad or you don't have good mutation choices besides long arms, I wouldn't go too heavy into melee preloop unless you find one of the better melee weapons I mentioned. If you do, though, they make lil' hunter and the throne a lot easier.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah like a wrench is not great later in the game but it's not much different than an energy sword in the throne fight because you can still use it to pop bubbles.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Energy sword is out an out the best way to protect yourself if you suck at bullet dodging and trivialises the throne.

It's funny that shotgun shoulders is on the bottom of that tier list given DevilAzite swears by it, and marrow + shoulders was how I did my Melting B run. Marrow kills far away targets while shoulders deals with close targets while avoiding having to expose yourself too much.

You have to match your play style to the weapons and mutations you receive/choose, there are so many ways to play through to loop in this game and that's why people loop reliably. The RNG helps but dodging, managing crowds effectively and choosing mutations well will get you to the throne every time if you see every death as preventable by better decision making and mechanics.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shotgun shoulders very rarely makes a significant difference in how you kill enemies.The situations where I'll take it are basically Super Flak Cannon+Trigger Fingers, and Ultra Shotgun. That's it.

When you say "shoulders deals with close targets while avoiding having to expose yourself too much", what exactly do you mean? Because I would wager that 9 times out of 10, either you don't need to be bouncing shots at all, or normal bounces would be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When it comes to weapon mutations lately I've been more interested in taking Impact Wrists, Trigger Fingers, and Eagle Eyes over weapon specific traits because it leaves me freedom to play with different guns. Not saying it's optimal but I'm having fun - I had a bouncer shotgun with eagle eyes and it was like a whole new weapon, and when I added trigger fingers it became a top tier gun; normally I don't give a tin poo poo about bouncer guns.

• Locked thread